test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

My laptop chashed

nikkie#9482 nikkie Member Posts: 4 Arc User
Hello,
I haven't been on STO in a 1.5years, will i lose my stuff??
Nikki
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    They won't get rid of your stuff. I've been gone from the game before for extended periods and always had my stuff right where I left it.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • nikkie#9482 nikkie Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Thanks guys..
  • howtorhowtor Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    the information is saved on their servers all you really do on your end is UI saves and a few other things (cant remember lol) that is how you can play on multiple computers
    I need a gaming laptop
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    I need a gaming laptop

Unless you NEED the portability of a laptop due to work or school then I would always recommend a desktop for gaming, they're just plain better at everything from performance, to upgradability, to cooling. If all you play is STO though then pretty much anything you can get right now should be fine, even with a laptop.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    This isn't the only game I play :-)
  • howtorhowtor Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    I need a gaming laptop

Unless you NEED the portability of a laptop due to work or school then I would always recommend a desktop for gaming, they're just plain better at everything from performance, to upgradability, to cooling. If all you play is STO though then pretty much anything you can get right now should be fine, even with a laptop.[/quote

Plus what can get for a desktop is way better for the same price. If space is an issue there are some really nice small format desktops now.
    Maingear, Asus, ibuypower are some examples. or build your own
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    A Gaming Laptop isn't a bad idea. I used to play some games on a laptop years ago. Portability is great, but lifespan can be an issue. Same with upgrading components in the future. A desktop is a lot easier to swap out bad parts.
    With a laptop, you can at least pull out the hard drive if you have any documents you want to keep, as there are adaptors that can connect it to other computers. But if you generally just keep it plugged in, like I did with a Toshiba, over time you will burn out the connector between the motherboard and the AC Adaptor port. Can be soldered, but eventually there won't be much to solder to. I admit it wasn't a gaming laptop I had, but it served me pretty well back then.

Either way... both types of systems have their advantage. Whichever one you like, go for it.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    A Gaming Laptop isn't a bad idea.

I'm a bit biased against gaming laptops, lol. Back in 2006 I got the first computer that I ever paid for myself and went with an Alienware Area-51M 5700 (only went with a laptop because I was starting college). That thing got hot, VERY HOT, when playing games and within two years it just wouldn't turn on anymore, and I've always assumed it cooked itself to death. I'm sure modern devices have better cooling and such, but I've avoided laptops ever since. I'm not joking, sometimes it felt like I could actually fry an egg on that thing.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    I have 2 Gaming laptops and one desktop PC, that i keep upgrading, every one of them have STO updated, the oldest one is from 2016, and my newst is from 2019. The PC is difficult to say, last year i replaced the Video card for a 1660 Ti, and next year i'll try tu update it again. I'm never without a machine to play.. thou i dont play all day, most of them is for some programing and graphics work
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    Desktops tend to end up being rather frankenstein in components. Hell... you could probably have a 1990s case with modern components if you can rig it up right. Because with a desktop... its not the outside, but what's INSIDE that counts.

qwwvacbtbmg51.jpg?auto=webp&s=23ccc97b4a01ed545ccee4fd0520e7c051cc51d2
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    Laptop vs. Desktop is completely dependent on individual use and need.

Yes, a Desk Top is always going to be better in terms of upgradability and usually comes with a cheaper price. Right now, things are a bit out of whack, building a PC is more expensive then ever right now due to inventory shortages on many components. As an avid PC builder (I have built PC's for years, and used to do so professionally) I have to admit that right now.. in certain cases.. pre-built PC's and yes, even Laptops can be the better deal.

When it comes to gaming, it just depends on how demanding you are. If you want to be able to play the newest games at the best settings you're never.. ever.. ever going to get a laptop. I don't care if it's one of those super, dual card, ultra high end $5k laptops.. the Desktop will always perform better for half the money.

Now, if you just want to be able to play some games you enjoy and you're cool with Medium Settings on band new titles, then that's different. For some people, portability is a high value, maybe they live two different places and commute back and forth, maybe they are students and like to game in their down time.. whatever.. but gaming laptops are a great value if approached with the right mindset and expectations. I have an older MSI that's getting on in age now (it has a GTX 970M) but it still games pretty well for an older product and if games like STO are my goal.. it plays that on max with no issues. If I want to install Cyberpunk on it.. well, it will run, but it won't be the best experience.

It's kind of funny that gaming laptops are just completely hated by some in the PC Building community. They are seen as some offensive affront to gaming in general and that's always made me laugh. Personally, I think 'gaming laptops' are great if bought with proper expectations in mind. As some have said though, durability is a definite concern so the only advice I would give is research the model first and buy from a trusted brand. When looking at reviews look at independent sites and user reviews, you need to try and avoid reviewers that were paid to endorse the product. If you need the portability of a laptop, don't let people scare you off from getting a gaming laptop, just do your research first. If it's just for STO, and games of that type.. you can get one dirt cheap on the used market. If you are not going to be moving it around a lot though, then yeah.. I would definitely try for a desktop PC. The idea of a laptop as a 'desktop replacement' isn't the best in my opinion.

I hope you enjoy whatever you go with. Good luck!

Insert witty signature line here.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    I was phoning to a girl the other night and spilled an almost full can of Desperados over the keyboard of my 2,5k MSI.

Its facenating how all they keys still work... just a bit slowly (which isnt an issue for today EPG builds requiering zero player sklill). :disappointed:

What Im trying to say is that i dont care about my hardware but if anything would happen to my toons *especially Neela!!!* id kill myself as well as the... oh come on forget it. :D

Glad that Neela is save at cryptics! ;)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
    I was phoning to a girl the other night and spilled an almost full can of Desperados over the keyboard of my 2,5k MSI.

Its facenating how all they keys still work... just a bit slowly (which isnt an issue for today EPG builds requiering zero player sklill). :disappointed:

What Im trying to say is that i dont care about my hardware but if anything would happen to my toons *especially Neela!!!* id kill myself as well as the... oh come on forget it. :D

To be fair, you probably spent more on Neela then you did on the laptop. :lol:

Seriously though, glad your laptop is ok, liquid in the keyboard can be nasty.
    edited December 2020

Hey man I thought you were my friend and stuff... You are not supposed to tell anybody you know. :D
    animated.gif

Hey man I thought you were my friend and stuff... You are not supposed to tell anybody you know. :D

:lol:

My bad.
    edited December 2020

My bad.

Oh BTW MSI got out of it alright, Just hard to remeber when I was stupid enought to advocate apple producs a few years ago. Was my first argument with you remember?! :D
    animated.gif

My bad.

Oh BTW MSI got out of it alright, Just hard to remeber when I was stupid enought to advocate apple producs a few years ago. Was my first argument with you remember?! :D

Actually, I don't.

I use Apple stuff myself, I have an iPhone and just got one of the new 4th Gen iPad Air models so I am not really one to lecture you either way. :wink:
    edited December 2020
    > @keepcalmchiveon said:
    > did someone say apple?
    >
    > you mean that stuff works? odd. :)
    >
    > and as far as the laptops go, i have always preferred gaming laptops to desktops.

Sure the Apple stuff works. I played STO on a Mac book from 2013 to 2018 without any issues via BootCamp.

Two years ago I switched to an MSI.

For me the the price compared to what I’d get in return sealed it. You know more performance for less money.

Not that I’m complaining. I still use the MacBook daily for off gaming activities and I have the feeling that it could last for another 5 years or so until it breaks or anything. :)
    animated.gif
    > @seaofsorrows said:
    > Actually, I don't.
    >
    > I use Apple stuff myself, I have an iPhone and just got one of the new 4th Gen iPad Air models so I am not really one to lecture you either way. :wink:

As usual I was the one lecturing how nerdy an Alienware wreckage looks. Now I’m the dude with the gaming laptop. :D
    animated.gif
    > @seaofsorrows said:
    > Actually, I don't.
    >
    > I use Apple stuff myself, I have an iPhone and just got one of the new 4th Gen iPad Air models so I am not really one to lecture you either way. :wink:

As usual I was the one lecturing how nerdy an Alienware wreckage looks. Now I’m the dude with the gaming laptop. :D

I have an MSI Gaming Laptop too, so I guess I don’t get to make fun of you.

Don’t worry though, there are plenty of other topics to choose from. :lol:

Seriously though, Gaming Laptops these days are pretty solid. There was a time when they were all over priced trash that barely did the job, but now days they can get some pretty nice hardware into a laptop.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    Loving this convesation!.. anyway, you should clean the keyb, as anything with sugar start damaging the electric paths of the membrane..
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
    gaevsman wrote: »
    Loving this convesation!.. anyway, you should clean the keyb, as anything with sugar start damaging the electric paths of the membrane..

Yeah, if you haven't done that already, that's solid advice. Power it down, take the battery out (if you can) and give it a good scrub over. Use a damp (not wet) Micro Fiber cloth with either a light dish soap/water combo or just regular water. If it's too wet, you can drip water into the keys and then you have to wait hours for it to dry before putting the battery back in. Chemicals can damage the finish, I would avoid things like Windex or cleaning wipes.

Oh and one more thing.. keep drinks away from your keyboard! If you absolutely must pour liquid into your laptop.. use the Macbook for that. :lol::lol:
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Desktops tend to end up being rather frankenstein in components. Hell... you could probably have a 1990s case with modern components if you can rig it up right. Because with a desktop... its not the outside, but what's INSIDE that counts.

qwwvacbtbmg51.jpg?auto=webp&s=23ccc97b4a01ed545ccee4fd0520e7c051cc51d2

I did exactly that before:)

I had one of the early 8088-based IBM PCs and kept swapping parts and at first even modding the powersupply plugs to keep up. By the time I retired it it had a 586 cpu motherboard and the only original part left was the case itself, and it had a lot of extra modifications to it so it was not exactly stock anymore either. Going to a tower case after that felt weird.

As for laptops, I used to use my Dell Envy "desktop replacement" laptop for that sometimes (though mine was the version meant for high-crunch business applications like virtual machines so the video card is not the best) but nowadays it overheats too much even on Defiance to be practical.

I normally use my homebuilt desktop (homebrew is the only affordable way for me to keep up nowadays), and the fact that hardwired ethernet is almost always less laggy than wireless helps too.
    edited December 2020
    Oh thanks for input and helping @gaevsman and @seaofsorrows :)

I got it cleaned as best as I could. Think most of the keys work as they did before. Just two or three I don’t seems to use a lot still appear to be slightly sticky.

Atm I’d like to think the MSI got out of it alright. Still I’d be a whole lot more carful in the future. Girls are always trouble. :D
    animated.gif
This discussion has been closed.