test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Annoying, dancing Elachi

Comments

• echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    Others can enjoy it or not, but they shouldn't expect people to despawn them just because they don't like them. Consequences of ones actions work both ways, not just one way.

It used to be people simply ignored things they didn't like, and that's what I still do with things I run into ingame that annoys me. Ignoring it is less stressful than endless complaining about it. And I don't need my BP meds to be adjusted because of a game.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,101 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I'm absolutely certain 'STO's player base and income' will not dwindle due to Elachi dancing. Nor due to visual spam, since they only add to it for years now.

Absolute's quite a big word. The reality is neither you nor I can know for sure as we do not have access to real player population, spending, and actual quality gaming time (as opposed to mini-farms and AFK events). STO is not up there with the big true MMOs and so cannot afford to lose players to troll-type decisions such as these that compound over time.

I play another game where population is critically low, and Devs truly cannot afford to treat their few remaining die-hard members in such a manner.

It's unbelievable how many social zones these tribbles linger in. And I won't post an example of the strobe effects as I have no intention of hurting people's eyes and risk causing seizures (unlike whichever dev thinks this is amusing).
    elachi.jpg

Ah yes, the veiled "STO is dying..." claim. That's been around since I was in closed beta in 2009. ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • baronvonboombaronvonboom Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    Im just waiting for the inevitable TOS inspired loli mini pets before I quit, cant be long now though eh
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    You can't call someone self-centered who constantly runs Events on five Accounts for the kids and grandkids. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • c0nsic0nsi Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    Thing is, performance in social zones is bad enough (it has been getting better for me at least, but still) without having a horde of dancing elachi everywhere, and half the players don't even want them or don't care about them...so having them force-spawn on everyone using the set is stupid. I'm pretty sure if they would make them pets or a seperate item, we wouldn't have half as much of them in every social zone and they would free up ressources
    ltminns wrote: »
    You can't call someone self-centered who constantly runs Events on five Accounts for the kids and grandkids. :)

Thank you. Hope you and yours have a Merry Christmas :)
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    I wonder if it's possible to pop a party nullifier on them, or disco ball followed by the nullifier, to make them stop dancing. Not that it will help, but at least your own character and zone for a time will be free of the non-stop dancing. They're everywhere really considering it's a decent free event rep space set multiplied by the endless alts of every character.

Games do fail or get shut down, and it can happen suddenly. Sometimes independent investors take over and keep the servers running, and even continue some development (not going to name any). Others linger empty except for peak hours or organized events (Legions: Overdrive).

My fleet members have mostly left as a result of continued actions along these lines. I care barely enough to try to give feedback even if the official forums are ignored. It's not the same for other games, where the community is really on the ball as a whole and Devs actively listen, communicate, and try to do what's best for player retention.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    Although I can also do without them cause they do become annoying after a while, I will not tell someone to despawn them, its thier choice to keep them and not mine to tell them what to do.
    however, I have been known to leave the room or switch instances as to get away from them.
    Although I can also do without them cause they do become annoying after a while, I will not tell someone to despawn them, its thier choice to keep them and not mine to tell them what to do.
    however, I have been known to leave the room or switch instances as to get away from them.

This is what I'm talking about. Deal with what you don't like in your own way rather than demand people accommodate your likes or dislikes. Good for you :)
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    edited December 2020
    echatty wrote: »

This is what I'm talking about. Deal with what you don't like in your own way rather than demand people accommodate your likes or dislikes. Good for you :)

I don't think this is about people who want to have them for whatever reason. And more about the fact that, if you use the space set, they WILL spawn, regadless of if you want them, don't want them or don't care. I really don't think the reason the social zones are flooded with them is because of the people who like them and more likely because the set is a decent space set to use.

If they where pets, i couldn't care less if someone decides to use them. The problem is they are force-spawned on everyone (using the set) clogging up server ressources and overpopulating social zones with tons and tons of them.

If you have fun with them, by all means use them as much as you like, but the devs should really consider giving people an option, if not for our sake (so we don't have to have a pair of dancing elachi every 2 inces of a social zone), at least for the sake of freeing up unnecessarily used ressources (you can't tell me spawning 2 additional entities per user using the set doesn't use up at least some performance server-wise).
    Chatty I was brought up long ago to leave people be you dont like, just ignore them and walk away.
    Avoiding a confrontation is alot of times the best way to handle a problem rather than cause a war to solve a problem.
    Chatty I was brought up long ago to leave people be you dont like, just ignore them and walk away.
    Avoiding a confrontation is alot of times the best way to handle a problem rather than cause a war to solve a problem.

Precisely. If you don't like the Dancing Elachi and you like to use the space set, then they can be despawned. If you don't like seeing others' then ignore them or switch instances. They're not that hard to ignore, really.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    edited December 2020
    Actually at first i found them amusing to watch for the first few days LOL but now they are um uh well part of the decor
    LOL.

Actually is the set any good, right now i use the full iconian set or the quantum set for those who have not done reputation.
    It's actually a pretty good set for science builds. I am running it on the new Weather Control Risa ship and it does quite well. Also on the new Titan science destroyer.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,950 Arc User
    When there's more dancing Elachi's on a map than live players the devs may have made their linger time a bit too long.
  • kaarruukaarruu Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    At first I thought it was a halloween thing. Huh. Dancing Elachi. Very spooky, moving on. But they're still there and the whole thing got really, REALLY old. In some ways this is worse than previous instances of dev trolling. Back in LoR the Elachi were a terrifying, unknown enemy. Then they were revealed to be sort of tragic monsters due to their origin. Later we had peaceful interaction with some of them - very Trek. And now they've been turned into a lame joke.

As has been mentioned, this is particularly bad because they're tied to useful gear and players get no say in whether or not the things spawn, and whether or not they see other people's dancing mushroom men. If you like them or don't care either way, whatever: you're not bothered. But those of us who don't want to see this kind of thing don't get much choice. We either put up with the cringy out of place nonsense or we stop showing up. The latter option might not concern the sort of people who enjoy annoying others or simply don't care how their actions affect others, but since Cryptic/PWE have a financial stake in the matter, one would expect THEM to have a concern.

I can but wonder what the logic behind these annoyances is. "I have a job making stuff for an online game. I think I'll make some really annoying stuff and make sure it's plastered everywhere! That's going to help keep a healthy population and keep the paychecks rolling in." The most likely explanation is that the people on development side have no idea just how tiresome the compounded effect of all the visual clutter they've added ends up being. Surely they wouldn't be stupid enough to deliberately try and discourage any of their paying customers from playing their game?

It's a salami-slicing effect. Little by little the annoyances pile up and smother one's motivation to play the game. "Nobody would quit over X!" Sure, probably not. But X, Z and Y all rolled together and shoved in your face every time in you log in and go to a social hub or enter a queue... that's a different matter. There's a point where the bad stuff overwhelms the good stuff and makes the player quit. Nobody wants that, do they? So stop deliberately adding annoying things - that trolling will bite you in the end.
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    I don't care about if you like them or not...my problem with them is that if 8 people has them in a social zone, the game runs like TRIBBLE. Like I can't even transport out bad. And if I need to run the daily race in the winter wonderland...oh lord help me. So unless they can get the performance issue fixed they should at least limit the number that can spawn in a zone.

The part that they suck up performance sadly seems to be totaly ignored by the 'if you don't like them despawn them or ignore them'-folks... sure i can despawn the ones that show up because of my own set, but how again do i despawn the others? Hmmm, guess we have just to ignore them and the performance issue they cause...
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,101 Arc User
    c0nsi wrote: »
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    I don't care about if you like them or not...my problem with them is that if 8 people has them in a social zone, the game runs like TRIBBLE. Like I can't even transport out bad. And if I need to run the daily race in the winter wonderland...oh lord help me. So unless they can get the performance issue fixed they should at least limit the number that can spawn in a zone.

The part that they suck up performance sadly seems to be totaly ignored by the 'if you don't like them despawn them or ignore them'-folks... sure i can despawn the ones that show up because of my own set, but how again do i despawn the others? Hmmm, guess we have just to ignore them and the performance issue they cause...

If two dancing sprites suck up enough performance that you can't play, your PC or laptop is probably below the minimum specs.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
    edited December 2020
    I think they were talking about a lot of the dancing Elachi on an instance, not just one pair.

Although I have yet to take a performance hit because of them.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    They're just stupid PERIOD.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
This discussion has been closed.