test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

RSE or Terran Playable Faction

nero#6673 nero Member Posts: 49 Arc User
With the RSE still being relegated to a cliff-note, (which is illogical) and the Terrans being a momentary annoyance on some missions, why not make them an actual faction, or one you can join, (Fed can join Terrans or Rom can join RSE)??

We have the ships, the skins, the uniforms - why not have an actual faction.. These are major parts of Star Trek (Unless of course you are JJ Abrams, or Alex Kurtzman >:) )

It would likely be easier to do a RSE faction, (which gives us poor Romulans who are servile to the KDF or UFP) the chance to abandon cookie cutter or weak republic lines and visit a post-Hobus RSE...

"This has been said before" - I searched and found nothing, including old posts I had made 4 years ago in a now missing Romulan forum.

50777087521_0fb2747817_z.jpg

protogoth wrote:
Picard and his gang of misfits (Commander Quagmire, his sometime-girlfriend Counselor State-the-Obvious, Pinocchio aspiring to be a real boy, a blind helmsman, and Microbrain, not to mention Doctor I'm-here-as-a-thinly-veiled-love-interest-for-the-captain-and-otherwise-have-no-real-purpose and her son Annoying Boy Geekwiz)

I am no ones minion - I will do what is right
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,498 Arc User
    It is very easy to play RSE in STO right now, in fact I have a couple of Romulans who are RSE. They are the same as the Republic as far as technology and whatnot, the only difference is background. And for that you can either just ignore the Viranat stuff or the character could have been an RSE officer from a ship that stopped by there for some reason.

Some of my captains think D'tan is an idealistic idiot but are willing to play the long game until he sees reason or someone else takes over, and the RRF is loose and chaotic enough that they can do whatever they please when out on deployments as long as they take the assignments they are given. Another one completely retains the RSE trappings and works with the RRF as an ally of necessity, (only refusing assignments that would attempt to pull in the few remaining RSE colonies into the Republic fold), something the RRF cannot turn down as yet, strapped for ships and crews as they are.

The RSE was fractured ever since Hobus and it is reasonable to assume that not all of the factions are fond of Hakeev so even those episodes are not too big of an obstacle.

As for the mirror Terrans, they really don't have a presence in the timeline that STO is in, they just invade or otherwise get pulled in at various times. Why would the devs make a tutorial for a parallel that the game is not even about? It would be about as useful as making an Andromeda tutorial for STO.

On the other hand, there is nothing preventing anyone from making a mirror Terran character who is either laying low and biding their time like Lorca or who was a thought-criminal or some other persona non grata in the mirror "universe" who is physically mirror Terran (or whatever) but agrees with the Federation ideals (or at least thinks they are better off living with them anyway).
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    These are what I feel the game has always been lacking. A true playable enemy to the Federation! I would gladly roll a RSE character and a Terran, if they were available. Cryptic messed up on an opportunity where the accolades and choices could have splintered off to make a choice to site with the RSE, which I gladly would have without a second thought.
    edited December 2020
    jcsww wrote: »
    These are what I feel the game has always been lacking. A true playable enemy to the Federation! I would gladly roll a RSE character and a Terran, if they were available. Cryptic messed up on an opportunity where the accolades and choices could have splintered off to make a choice to site with the RSE, which I gladly would have without a second thought.

I wouldn't say "always lacking", that is what the Klingons were for in the first place, but the PvP never took off like Cryptic hoped it would. Casuals tend to prefer PvE and they have been the majority for years now, especially in games like STO which are based on TV shows or whatever and have a strong space (or whatever the genre) Barbie element.

I wouldn't say "always lacking", that is what the Klingons were for in the first place, but the PvP never took off like Cryptic hoped it would. Casuals tend to prefer PvE and they have been the majority for years now, especially in games like STO which are based on TV shows or whatever and have a strong space (or whatever the genre) Barbie element.

They tried and failed! Why? Lack of effort and that has never changed. PvP has always been an after thought with STO as well. It's old, broken in so many ways, and lacks any sort of popular play style of PvP. It may have team death match for up to 10 players or two player deathmatch, but both of those are bland, boring, and very poorly implemented in STO. No battle royale, no death match for larger numbers than a pair, no Capture the Flag, and so on. Cryptic literally got the result of the effort Cryptic put in.

The Klingon's also aren't truly evil compared to some other factions in the Star Trek universe. Going with something more like the Dominion, Borg, Romulan, or Terrans would have been a way better choice for an evil faction.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User
    Now be honest what would a playable "evil" faction truly add to the game or even a faction who enemies of UFP, the structure of the game demands that they co-operate that some point regardless and I can think of maybe 1 MMO where the main factions didn't co-operate at some point (DC online), WoW generally expansions end up with Alliance and Horde fighting a common enemy, GW2 common enemy at the end again, SWTOR same and with FF14 the factions start out allied with each other, granted those are only MMOs I've personally played but the theme is consistent.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    Terran Empire faction please!
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    edited December 2020

They tried and failed! Why? Lack of effort and that has never changed. PvP has always been an after thought with STO as well. It's old, broken in so many ways, and lacks any sort of popular play style of PvP. It may have team death match for up to 10 players or two player deathmatch, but both of those are bland, boring, and very poorly implemented in STO. No battle royale, no death match for larger numbers than a pair, no Capture the Flag, and so on. Cryptic literally got the result of the effort Cryptic put in.

The Klingon's also aren't truly evil compared to some other factions in the Star Trek universe. Going with something more like the Dominion, Borg, Romulan, or Terrans would have been a way better choice for an evil faction.

You are confusing lack of effort with different genre of game. STO was designed to be story driven to begin with, and in episodes you don't generally have PvP.

At the time games were usually done on custom engines (like Cryptic's) and were either story or quest driven like STO and optimized for RP and PvE with good character customization and usually higher polycount models, or they were more freeform and used quests just for leveling, had (often very) limited character customization (it was necessary for performance), and otherwise optimized for PvP. With the hardware and connection speeds back then you really couldn't have both unless the majority of the game was client-side with the absolute minimum of information transfer and that generally didn't work out well (though there were exceptions of course).

Over the years since, better hardware and better connection speeds have allowed games to bolt on extras, like PvP on PvE engine games but they will generally never have the flexibility of the cutting edge new engines and the bolt-on parts take a lot more effort to produce less result than working with the original focus of the engine.

On top of that, PvP has gotten less and less popular overall with the newer, more casual gamers that have gradually come to be the majority.
  • nero#6673 nero Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    If PVP had lasting meaning, ergo, factions could literally fight each other and the map change, with worlds changing based on who controls it? PVP would be much more than DPS testing and Tank laughing. The materials are there for this to be a really fun situation.. Each faction at war (literally) with each other, fighting over worlds, and having their own goals, losses, etc.

There would logically be millions of Romulans who would still adore the centuries old RSE - and the Terrans are evil based on our universe, and some people literally would just like to play as the antagonist.. I mean really... Video games are about fantasy -

As a point of reference, I would like to mention EVE Online - (aka spreadsheets in space) Faction choice matters, factions go to war and PVP is a huge part of that. I believe if STO built on what is already here, it would be immensely popular. Terrans fighting their way out of the badlands.. RSE forces retaking swaths of the old Empire - The Republic rebelling against both the Klinks and Feddys to seek true independence.. Making the game more choice and player oriented would really boost PVP, sales and literally make this the most well rounded space game in existence - which would make sense with it being STAR TREK!!
    phoenixc wrote:
    Over the years since, better hardware and better connection speeds have allowed games to bolt on extras, like PvP on PvE engine games but they will generally never have the flexibility of the cutting edge new engines and the bolt-on parts take a lot more effort to produce less result than working with the original focus of the engine.

On top of that, PvP has gotten less and less popular overall with the newer, more casual gamers that have gradually come to be the majority.

Again, there is still an enormous amount of players that would jump on this sort of scenario - EVE is massively more populated than STO, and it is because it has a living universe, and the type of PVP that would make STO phenomenal. Adding in underdog factions, or factions people normally dont like would be even more of that. You dont have to get rid of the PVE that caasuals like - not really a bad idea to keep certain specific places as PVE, and besides - when you play a mission at New Romulus for example, it is a mission map, not the live Zone map with other players there.

I remember seeing somewhere that good and bad was relative anyway... Where was that??

protogoth wrote:
    Picard and his gang of misfits (Commander Quagmire, his sometime-girlfriend Counselor State-the-Obvious, Pinocchio aspiring to be a real boy, a blind helmsman, and Microbrain, not to mention Doctor I'm-here-as-a-thinly-veiled-love-interest-for-the-captain-and-otherwise-have-no-real-purpose and her son Annoying Boy Geekwiz)

coldnapalm wrote: »
    nero#6673 wrote: »
    If PVP had lasting meaning, ergo, factions could literally fight each other and the map change, with worlds changing based on who controls it? PVP would be much more than DPS testing and Tank laughing. The materials are there for this to be a really fun situation.. Each faction at war (literally) with each other, fighting over worlds, and having their own goals, losses, etc.

There would logically be millions of Romulans who would still adore the centuries old RSE - and the Terrans are evil based on our universe, and some people literally would just like to play as the antagonist.. I mean really... Video games are about fantasy -

As a point of reference, I would like to mention EVE Online - (aka spreadsheets in space) Faction choice matters, factions go to war and PVP is a huge part of that. I believe if STO built on what is already here, it would be immensely popular. Terrans fighting their way out of the badlands.. RSE forces retaking swaths of the old Empire - The Republic rebelling against both the Klinks and Feddys to seek true independence.. Making the game more choice and player oriented would really boost PVP, sales and literally make this the most well rounded space game in existence - which would make sense with it being STAR TREK!!
    phoenixc wrote:

Again, there is still an enormous amount of players that would jump on this sort of scenario - EVE is massively more populated than STO, and it is because it has a living universe, and the type of PVP that would make STO phenomenal. Adding in underdog factions, or factions people normally dont like would be even more of that. You dont have to get rid of the PVE that caasuals like - not really a bad idea to keep certain specific places as PVE, and besides - when you play a mission at New Romulus for example, it is a mission map, not the live Zone map with other players there.

I remember seeing somewhere that good and bad was relative anyway... Where was that??

People who play EVE and STO are two VERY different gamers. Hell the average STO being called a gamer is a strech. What works for one game will not work for the other. PvP in this game is dead, it ain't coming back...deal with it. If you want a PvP game, go play something else because this player base is not interested in it.

Even if the aspect of everyone in STO abhorring PVP - (I have ran across several who play both, one for the nostalgia and the other for the ability to blow stuff up and just do whatever) the ideas behind having the option to be a Terran, or Imperial Romulan is sound - and even if 300 people were willing to pay to play as such, Cryptic would make money off of such a storyline.. and it would offer a more rounded experience.

I mean, they gave us TRIBBLE.... So they could easily do something that actually has a basis in Trek lore.

protogoth wrote:

• alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    More stuff for Terran Empire and Original/Imperial Romulan is always welcome. Personally I wouldn't make a Terran or Imperial just for some limited exclusive social zones, storylines, or more realistically just a unique tutorial and meaningless species trait and nothing else. It was expensive and time consuming enough to make just a Jem'hadar.

PVP, true co-op Pve, and PvEvP are what's truly fun to me. Not sure how STO's history is, but clearly it's been abandoned. I doubt any original devs are still around to fix at the game's responsiveness, so any form of meaningful interaction with an outright broken interface that barely functions would be more maddening that playing on bad servers full of lag.

My suggestion is to only pick up games made with PVP in mind from the very start, and bail if balance and fairness aren't top priority at all times. If they expand into PvE, that's a great bonus, but never the other way around.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿

You are confusing lack of effort with different genre of game. STO was designed to be story driven to begin with, and in episodes you don't generally have PvP.

At the time games were usually done on custom engines (like Cryptic's) and were either story or quest driven like STO and optimized for RP and PvE with good character customization and usually higher polycount models, or they were more freeform and used quests just for leveling, had (often very) limited character customization (it was necessary for performance), and otherwise optimized for PvP. With the hardware and connection speeds back then you really couldn't have both unless the majority of the game was client-side with the absolute minimum of information transfer and that generally didn't work out well (though there were exceptions of course).

The Klingon faction was never truly designed with story content in mind. It had next to nothing at it's original launch and continued on that way for a long time. Then, they kicked you up to Commander at the start to make it easier. Over the years, it has gotten little bits here and there but it took over half of the games life to get some half decent missions, most of which have been retooled and edited into the crud we have now.

Cryptic's engine sucked long before it ended up with the game from Perpetual. The current team doesn't even understand how a lot of the older code even works. Whether PvP is popular not not isn't really my point. I am all for more diverse options for things to do in this game. I used to PvP quite a while back but the scene is pretty much dead now. Before my fleetmates and friends got bored of PvP, we were doing shuttle PvP and shuttles VS T3 ships and other variations just to mix it up. The Ten Forward Battle Brigades was there for casual PvP for those who just wanted to have fun, without feeling like they had to be the super elite of the game.

What I think the game needs to truly feel like there is a war between factions, is some contested space to fight over and having a side of a mission only available to the faction. The contested space wouldn't be anything important, just more like bragging rights for the faction. In there, a constant fight between both sides would be fought by players in timed instances or until I set of objectives is completed by a side, awarding points for their faction victory. Playing both sides of a mission is pretty straight forward. If there is an attack on a Fed Starbase mission, then Fed players would play a defending role. The KDF as an example, would play an attacking role. The mission would be the same, but the faction would decide what side of it you are on and play. Obviously, that would require a lot more work than PWE is willing to sink into the copy and paste and make available for all that they have been leaning more and more into over the past few years.

phoenixc wrote:

People who play EVE and STO are two VERY different gamers. Hell the average STO being called a gamer is a strech. What works for one game will not work for the other. PvP in this game is dead, it ain't coming back...deal with it. If you want a PvP game, go play something else because this player base is not interested in it.

Even if the aspect of everyone in STO abhorring PVP - (I have ran across several who play both, one for the nostalgia and the other for the ability to blow stuff up and just do whatever) the ideas behind having the option to be a Terran, or Imperial Romulan is sound - and even if 300 people were willing to pay to play as such, Cryptic would make money off of such a storyline.. and it would offer a more rounded experience.

I mean, they gave us TRIBBLE.... So they could easily do something that actually has a basis in Trek lore.

Did I say EVERYONE hates PvP? Because I don't. I actually love the PvP endeavor so I can actually run a PvP queue. I said the PLAYERBASE does not like it. Stop strawmaning to try and get your way.

Umm...no. I actually would LOVE an RSE faction, but the storyline for that makes no bloody sense post Iconian war...like at all. As for 300 people would make it worth their time...yeah no. Dev time is expensive. 300 people won't pay for even 1/10th what a new faction would cost. Even using recycled assets.

As for the Michael Burnham show...despite how much you or I might not like it, there are quite a few who do. It is also a new show so a great source for new players for Cryptic. It is also something that has the studio backing. So having that added to the game is kind of a no brainer...the RSE...not so much...unfortunately.

I misunderstood your points on PVP - my mistake. I guess you might be right about the cost of dev'ing a RSE faction, and it is a shame. To your point of post-Iconian war Romulans - I think the entire way the Romulans were essentially written out of Star Trek was terrible... They were relegated to a plot device in 2009 - and now are like vassals. Makes no sense to me.

And I know... TRIBBLE (or Disco... I guess we are not allowed to take the name of Mickey Spocks show in vain LOL) is a big draw - and makes business sense. At least the ships and tech are cool - I almost threw up in the story missions tho.. Holy High School level of script Batman.
    More stuff for Terran Empire and Original/Imperial Romulan is always welcome. Personally I wouldn't make a Terran or Imperial just for some limited exclusive social zones, storylines, or more realistically just a unique tutorial and meaningless species trait and nothing else. It was expensive and time consuming enough to make just a Jem'hadar.

PVP, true co-op Pve, and PvEvP are what's truly fun to me. Not sure how STO's history is, but clearly it's been abandoned. I doubt any original devs are still around to fix at the game's responsiveness, so any form of meaningful interaction with an outright broken interface that barely functions would be more maddening that playing on bad servers full of lag.

My suggestion is to only pick up games made with PVP in mind from the very start, and bail if balance and fairness aren't top priority at all times. If they expand into PvE, that's a great bonus, but never the other way around.

True - one of the very few people I have ever actually met and talked to in STO and I frequently PVP one another, however it is never outside of more than DPS or Tank bragging - (on his part lol) and the problems that pop up are just dumb. Launched pets? Oh well - no one can target them! Lag? Almost as common as Ferengi greed.. STO could be so much more - but its mainly PVE, grind, and endgame DPS masses. Dont get me wrong, I have a blast, but it would be nice to have more.

protogoth wrote:

• paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    RSE could work if they had a sub-faction for Romulans like TOS or DISCO for Feds, just make these Romulans start off as members of RSE in either the 23rd/24th centuries, do some missions involving the Breen then have Subcommander Kail send us to the 25th century like Daniels.
    RSE could work if they had a sub-faction for Romulans like TOS or DISCO for Feds, just make these Romulans start off as members of RSE in either the 23rd/24th centuries, do some missions involving the Breen then have Subcommander Kail send us to the 25th century like Daniels.

That would be a great idea - could do something similar for the Terran Empire... Start out doing a few battles with Starfleet (or the Alliance if I remember DS9 right) and something happens and your stuck in the normal game universe, as a subset of the Feddies - like TRIBBLE and TOS.

protogoth wrote:

• lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User

There was PvP....till the Devs decided to go with massive power creep, then went even more power creepy when they claimed they would balance things and instead did the opposite.
  • starshine#7408 starshine Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    I have ideas for both of these.

1. RSE, just give us the uniforms! The uniforms the NPC romulans wear are nicer than the ones we get in the undercover mission. Just give us all the modern tal shiar uniforms! they're neat.

2. No way would all the conversative romulans be pro-emperess sela, she's half human! and her plan is not good and why would romulans support that? DISCO season 3 shows us that the STO vision of unification as Romulans assimilating into federation/vulcan ideology and culture isn't right.
    So we could have a RSE faction who are anti-sela and intervene and end up allied with the Romulan Republic out of common foe and then end up going exactly the same as current rom faction, just with different tutorial/starting missions and getting the Tal Shiar uniforms for free.

3. For Terran Empire, a new faction like the TOS/DISCO, you start off in the Mirrorverse during DISCO or ENT or some other era, you do some tutorial missions in the Mirror, then swap over to the prime, have a massive fight with your Prime counterpart. Just after you blow them up, Daniels arrives and transports you into the future, gives you the crashcourse on STO timeline, under the impression you are the prime counterpart.
    Then you choose, to just assume the situation of your prime self, you've trapped gotta go native to survive. Or Side with the KDF to fight the Federation and maybe found your own empire one day.
    So If you choose to be a UFP Terran, then its the same as being any of the other federation characters but with access to a terran racial trait and terran preffixs
    If you choose KDF, then story goes same as if you were KDF, but you have access to starfleet ships?

All the plotlines would converge into the main Alliance anyway so its not like you'd be doing different things past the prologue. So it'd have to be about ships/traits/cosmetics/loading screens so you know, make the story fold into the existing ones soon as possible.
    TOS>LDS>DSC>VOY>DS9>PRO>ENT>TNG>PIC

Bring the Enterprise XCV-330 to STO
This discussion has been closed.