test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A kick feature for TFO's

There are sooo many afk players simply standing still throughout the TFO just to get the reward. Please add a kick feature where players can vote to kick afk or grieving players

Comments

• erdi#1371 erdi Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    This question has been asked so many times on the forum and the answer is no, it can be abused and it will be abused.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1258690/we-need-a-vote-kick-system-and-a-join-ongoing-mission-system
    cxeronockx wrote: »
    No, no, no. As already mentioned, a kick system is not desirable because of the frequent abuse that will happen, and I can confirm that from my own experience. I'm not going to mention names of fleets and players now, not only for privacy reasons but also because of personal conversations with mods, but there was a time when I was constantly reported for so-called being off during tfo's while from logs (during conversations with supermods) that this was definitely not true. It always came from players who were represented in the tfo with three or four of the same fleet or armada and who only wanted to play it in their own way among each other and as the fifth player you wouldn't be able to do anything about that if this system was introduced. This can also happen if there are enough players who have something against you because you don't share their opinion or if you report that their style of play is not pleasant to you. It is simply a fact that the abuse of a kick system will be abused. It is hard enough that a new player will end up in a tfo with four higher dps players and who can hardly do anything, players who have a high dps would better choose to play on elite than players who just come into the game or players who choose to build their ships as an all-rounder.

For afk players there is the possibility of reporting them

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1258690/we-need-a-vote-kick-system-and-a-join-ongoing-mission-system
    cxeronockx wrote: »
    No, no, no. As already mentioned, a kick system is not desirable because of the frequent abuse that will happen, and I can confirm that from my own experience. I'm not going to mention names of fleets and players now, not only for privacy reasons but also because of personal conversations with mods, but there was a time when I was constantly reported for so-called being off during tfo's while from logs (during conversations with supermods) that this was definitely not true. It always came from players who were represented in the tfo with three or four of the same fleet or armada and who only wanted to play it in their own way among each other and as the fifth player you wouldn't be able to do anything about that if this system was introduced. This can also happen if there are enough players who have something against you because you don't share their opinion or if you report that their style of play is not pleasant to you. It is simply a fact that the abuse of a kick system will be abused. It is hard enough that a new player will end up in a tfo with four higher dps players and who can hardly do anything, players who have a high dps would better choose to play on elite than players who just come into the game or players who choose to build their ships as an all-rounder.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
    This has been a hot topic for years. While deemed a need or very well desired need, you may intentionally afk ban someone if they happened to get DCd from the net, or maybe something real life came up.

I hear ya, and many others have as well. I'd say it should auto kick if no movement for 30 secs and/or no dmg at a certain amount.

What are you going to do with players who suddenly have to go to the toilet or at whose door the doorbell rings?

• daimon97daimon97 Member Posts: 368 Arc User
    I would have to say no to a kick feature due to how easily it would be abused.

With all due respect a player staying at a single place throughout the TFO and not doing anything but still getting the reward is more abusive and unfair...
    erdi#1371 wrote: »
    This has been a hot topic for years. While deemed a need or very well desired need, you may intentionally afk ban someone if they happened to get DCd from the net, or maybe something real life came up.

I hear ya, and many others have as well. I'd say it should auto kick if no movement for 30 secs and/or no dmg at a certain amount.

What are you going to do with players who suddenly have to go to the toilet or at whose door the doorbell rings?

You say brb, do your thing and come back
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    I would have to say no to a kick feature due to how easily it would be abused.

Agree, sadly it would be abused for sure. I don't think anyone "likes" AFKers when not already pre-agreed upon.

A long time ago I was told that if you place a player on your Ignore-list then they won't be grouped with you, this was told to me by customer service once when I lodged a complaint during an event TFO, so naive. It turns-out that's not true or there is a bug in their system because even though I followed the instructions I still got to witness his/her AFKing during an event days later again, so there is that unfortunately.
  • howtorhowtor Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    Big no to this the abuse would be bad enough. how would you know if the person was suffering from a lag spike or actually AFK.

I have played games with this feature and when it was abused far out weighed the good. I have seen them kick people out right before final reward so they cant get it.

What penalty would the kicked person receive, and what recourse does that person have if they unjustly kicked.

But there are ways around it. Join a fleet and do premade group. that way you don't run into the issues.

Unfortunately you will run into that in pick-up groups. just report the person and move on
    howtor wrote: »
    Big no to this the abuse would be bad enough. how would you know if the person was suffering from a lag spike or actually AFK.

I have played games with this feature and when it was abused far out weighed the good. I have seen them kick people out right before final reward so they cant get it.

What penalty would the kicked person receive, and what recourse does that person have if they unjustly kicked.

But there are ways around it. Join a fleet and do premade group. that way you don't run into the issues.

Unfortunately you will run into that in pick-up groups. just report the person and move on

You can tell if someone is suffering from a lag spike... or actually afking. I don't get why so many people are against it...
    Another decent method should be proper punishment after a report... like a cooldown penalty for TFO's or something like that
    > @daimon97 said:
    > Another decent method should be proper punishment after a report... like a cooldown penalty for TFO's or something like that

This...no.

At that point, after the report, they have gotten the rewards. So what does a cool down do to discourage the same behavior again? Nothing.

Next idea...

Any personal ideas you can think of? Many games have team vote kick option. Wow does it and it still works today
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,712 Community Moderator
    Stick some safeguards on it like the one in WoW has and it's a perfectly reasonable system. You can't kick within the first little bit of the run, usually about the first 2 minutes of the run or so as it varies. If you're someone that calls vote kicks constantly, your ability to call them becomes greatly diminished with time. If you're someone that rarely calls them save when absolutely necessary, you're uneffected by diminishing returns on your kick ability. If you're someone who's ability to kick has been effected and reduced, you can return this to normal by completing more and more runs without calling a kick. It's not perfect, but it's better than not having it.

There's always going to be those extreme "what if X happens" scenarios, but that's not what is being talked about here. What's being talked about is people deliberately abusing the system and sitting AFK while still collecting rewards. That's not fair to the other 4 members of the run and can greatly effect their ability to play the queue. One guy should not be able to essentially hold the rest of the team's ability to progress hostage. Unless folks are going AFK alot or doing things that would get them vote kicked, they shouldn't have anything to worry about. As is right now, folks can abuse the other 4 members of the run and there is no remedy for the other 4 people. A vote kick gives that remedy. If you folks are expecting a perfect system that can't be abused in some way, no such system will ever exist. A vote kick has been needed for some time in this game.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,981 Arc User
    Four people would never get together and abuse a kick function. Nope, that would never happen...

As to reporting, feel free, but even that's questionable. Perhaps if a player gets enough reports over time...

I'm all for folks participating fully in TFO's. Have done a lot of RTFO's in the past couple weeks. People have been pretty good for the most part.

The most common thing I see is a handful of players getting in over their heads performance wise in advanced queues. But that could have would have been me when I just started playing and was figuring things out and at this point just means a few extra targets. I've seen just as many players absolutely excel in advanced queues.

I did bust out a few dance moves while doing Assault on Terok Nor a couple days ago. With everybody firing at Mirror Leeta and pets and Crystal Prism's all over the place I thought it would take my mind off watching the 'immune' floaters and the fact that in that environment there's no way to take threat and depower her on a console.

All in all though the advanced RTFO's have been a very pleasant experience for me as of late, but I can understand how an afk player that's impeding mission progress could be frustrating.
    It will be abused from the first moment it is applied in the game, personally I can already name five fleets that will apply it (even a whole armada I can mention) because there are already agreements made by the fleet management to the members which players are preferably not wanted in their team if they play a tfo. To put it in the words of a friend of mine on sto, "if there are three or four high dps'rs in the team and the fifth is someone who may be just entering the game and participating for the first time in a tfo in advanced mode who will be kicked out in no time. Seeing enough happen in LOL. The system is not perfect and everyone knows it, but it still has the penalty for those who don't participate or don't participate enough. Experienced enough myself in the beginning that I played sto, and not only for not participating but also because I didn't have enough firepower for that moment. So no for this system, it is too sensitive to abuse and it will happen because there will be those who like to use this system too easily for their own pleasure.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    No vote to kick for reasons already listed ^

An automatic system that tracks more than just damage output thresholds for chronic AFKing through too many successive TFOs would be better.

That said I have no problems with AFKing certain events that has minimal impact because the mission design is not fun, especially for 20 consecutive days, on a nearly non-stop train of event after event with great rewards leading to burnout.

A workaround to bad team mates is expanding the LFG system. Make it a live interface with requests for customizable XYZ requests and comments specifying custom details. Many games neglect this, making it a total hassle to track friendlies to team play with, and it needs an auto-expire custom timer so those that are happy can opt to stay or get auto-disbanded so requests always stay up to date to current requirements.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,712 Community Moderator
    People need to realize, every single system can be abused. There is no such thing as an abuse proof system. Folks already abuse the ability to AFK right now and still collect rewards. That hampers the other 4 players with no means of remedy for them. That is an even greater abuse than someone being booted from a run.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • kaarruukaarruu Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    There is no reason why intentional leeching should be tolerated. It's fairly rare these days, but I do occasionally run into a habitual leech who might shoot a bit to log enough damage to clear the automated system's AFK penalty and then either die or just drift off into the distance.

An automated system can be tricked. Fellow players can be fooled. That's not the issue. It doesn't need to be complicated or foolproof, just having a method of removing freeloaders is enough.

Certainly, a vote kick can be abused. But from what I've seen in other games with that functionality, it very rarely is abused; partly because abusing kick is punishable and partly because most people are decent.
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    People need to realize, every single system can be abused. There is no such thing as an abuse proof system. Folks already abuse the ability to AFK right now and still collect rewards. That hampers the other 4 players with no means of remedy for them. That is an even greater abuse than someone being booted from a run.

Every system can be abused with, I agree with, which would include a system where players determine whom gets kicked-out let alone the greater trolling possibilities.

I also agree that players already abuse the AFKing & it does hamper the remaining players trying to play the game proper which is why I still applaud how some players have taken it upon their own to create alternative methods to play & AFK in a more constructive nature.

So as this proposal would stand it is simply trading 1 abused system for another (under players' control).

I disagree with: "That is an even greater abuse than someone being booted from a run." Since it has already been conceded that players' ability to vote-kick would be abused wtg condoning the sacrifice of someone possibly having lag for the greater ego.

Leave it as it is till a good in-game mechanic could function which would be a great quality of life improvements, till then yeah it is a rare irritation.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,005 Community Moderator
    The problem with a Vote Kick isn't just the fact that it can, and WILL, be abused all to hell... STO doesn't exactly have a system to replace those kicked players. So you could be halfway through, and have to kick someone... then you're down one ship for the rest of the run.

While I understand and respect the people who want a Vote Kick option... we'd need to find a way to not only limit its weaponization by Trolls, and lets face it we know they exist and even are organized, we'd need a way to replace vote kicked players in a TFO.

The way I see it, there are two main groups who may abuse a Vote Kick. Trolls, and people with a performance chip on their shoulder. Troll will abuse for their own amusement at the expense of others. The other group will decide you don't measure up to their perceived measuring stick no matter what the situation is, and decide to take it upon themselves to "punish" you for not measuring up to their standards. You may be good enough to do an Advanced run, but if some hardline person feels that you're bringing their numbers down, they may try to vote kick the "offender" because they take offense at their skill level affecting their numbers.

Used legit... its a good tool. However... we have several distinct groups who will abuse it for their own ends.

The current situation is not ideal. And I will agree that we do need something. But it HAS to be done in a way that can't be weaponized so easily. While no system is foolproof, I would prefer figuring out how to do it fair and with minimal chance of trolling. And unfortunately STO is prone to troll shenanigans a lot more than a game like FF14.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
This discussion has been closed.