test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

1 free X upgrade & 4 free respec tokens

foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11482023

"PC Captains, there have been several frustrating incidents with have to retrain your characters recently. While we believe those issues have been fixed by this morning's update, we know how painful it was to retain over and over and over again. With that in mind, we want to offer you a thank you gift for your patience. Starting this Friday, December 18th, at 8am PT (17:00 CET), and running until January 3rd at 10am PT (19:00 CET), you'll be able to claim four free Captain Retrain Tokens, and one free Experimental Starship Upgrade, in the Promotions Tab of the Zen Store. You can only claim this gift once per account. Thank you again for your incredible patience, Captains, and we'll see you in the Final Frontier!"

Very nice of Cryptic to do & appreciated.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,788 Arc User
    Agreed.

To be fair, I'm just glad the issue was fixed. I've got plenty of upgrade and respec tokens, but it's nice for those who don't.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    It was very nice of Cryptic to do. I thank them sinceresly.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    So, I am obviously vocal when things like this go bad.. in the interest if fairness, I have to do the same when Cryptic does things right.

They realized that the last patch was going to cause the error.. again. They stopped the patch and announced that it would be delayed.

They put in a fix that not only keeps the problem from re-occurring (hopefully) but actually fixed the characters that had invalid skills. So now, I don't have to respec my already valid characters.

Then after releasing the good patch and fixing it, they released this free promotion to the community.

I'll be the first to get in line with the pitchforks when Cryptic handles things poorly, I also like to think I will get in the front when they do things well and this time they nailed it. This is how I hope they continue to respond in the future, things still might not be perfect but the last part of this whole issue was handled quite well and I would love to see the trend of testing content and communicating with the player base continue.

And I have seen people saying they are unhappy because the 'Thank you' isn't an 'apology,' lets not do that ok? It's semantics at this this point. They admitted they screwed up, they fixed the problem and offered a free promo as compensation. Are we really going to get out the pitchforks because the word 'sorry' wasn't used? Before all that starts.. lets just agree not to be that petty ok?

Well done Cryptic, I know some people can never be pleased but for me.. all is forgiven. All I really wanted was some communication and an attempt to do better.. I believe Cryptic has done that and I appreciate it.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    nathairxnathairx Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    My only concern with this method is that anyone that logged in (perhaps not even requiring a log in?) during the impacted time automatically has their skills needing to be retrained. While the multiple retrain tokens are nice, and the X upgrade on top of it, it's time limited. I know I missed out on the initial X upgrade as I was out of town and there will likely be others in similar states that will miss out here.

Cryptic has direct access to the database that backs characters, so why not add respec tokens +3 and X upgrade into the overflow bag of the first character to log on after Friday. Make them account bound, not character bound, just in case someone logs on with an alt and wants to move things around. Seems to be the better option and would apply to everyone, not just those able to log in during a time window.
  • Options
    nathairx wrote: »
    My only concern with this method is that anyone that logged in (perhaps not even requiring a log in?) during the impacted time automatically has their skills needing to be retrained. While the multiple retrain tokens are nice, and the X upgrade on top of it, it's time limited. I know I missed out on the initial X upgrade as I was out of town and there will likely be others in similar states that will miss out here.

Cryptic has direct access to the database that backs characters, so why not add respec tokens +3 and X upgrade into the overflow bag of the first character to log on after Friday. Make them account bound, not character bound, just in case someone logs on with an alt and wants to move things around. Seems to be the better option and would apply to everyone, not just those able to log in during a time window.

Characters that had the respec bug and were not respeced have been fixed by the patch. Meaning, if you had invalid skills after the latest issue and you never reset them, those characters are now once again valid. So players that did log in during the impacted time and did not respec do not have to do anything at all.

As for the respec tokens, all respec tokens are account bound. Once claimed they are consumed by the first captain that uses them. I can't tell you for sure why they went with having users claim the tokens from the store instead of just dropping them in inventory, but I am sure there is a good reason. The most obvious I can think of is that players with full inventory/overflow would likely miss the reward.

Overall, I think the solution Cryptic has presented is the most reasonable, just my opinion.
  • Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    They realized that the last patch was going to cause the error.. again. They stopped the patch and announced that it would be delayed.

They put in a fix that not only keeps the problem from re-occurring (hopefully) but actually fixed the characters that had invalid skills. So now, I don't have to respec my already valid characters.

Then after releasing the good patch and fixing it, they released this free promotion to the community.

While I appreciate the gifts, I'm just happy that they decided to hold off on the patch until they fixed the bug. Usually they just follow the schedule, without considering the effect on the players. I hope that this is a sign of things to come.
  • Options
    jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    So, I am obviously vocal when things like this go bad.. in the interest if fairness, I have to do the same when Cryptic does things right.

I'll be the first to get in line with the pitchforks when Cryptic handles things poorly, I also like to think I will get in the front when they do things well and this time they nailed it. This is how I hope they continue to respond in the future, things still might not be perfect but the last part of this whole issue was handled quite well and I would love to see the trend of testing content and communicating with the player base continue.

And I have seen people saying they are unhappy because the 'Thank you' isn't an 'apology,' lets not do that ok? It's semantics at this this point. They admitted they screwed up, they fixed the problem and offered a free promo as compensation. Are we really going to get out the pitchforks because the word 'sorry' wasn't used? Before all that starts.. lets just agree not to be that petty ok?

Well done Cryptic, I know some people can never be pleased but for me.. all is forgiven. All I really wanted was some communication and an attempt to do better.. I believe Cryptic has done that and I appreciate it.

Agreed! And well said, as usual.
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • Options
    tribbulatertribbulater Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    Agreed, for sure. When Cryptic bones up they deserve the criticism they get, and when they handle things correctly then they doubly deserve their kudos. The folks at Cryptic are good people, but they don't always pay careful attention to good business practices.

It's times like this when someone was on the ball and doing oversight and saying "Hey let's make sure we get this right!" that we need to be vocal that, YES, it's noticed, and YES, it's appreciated. There'll be some Christmas appreciation in Cryptic's stockings this year from me because of this.
  • Options
    crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    Thank you, Cryptic!!
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • Options
    eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,000 Arc User
    Not in the promotions tab as of 8.12
  • Options
    rck01rck01 Member Posts: 808 Arc User
    Yep. Still missing from Promotions Tab as of 8:38AM PDT.
  • Options
    arkyboyarkyboy Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    rck01 wrote: »
    Yep. Still missing from Promotions Tab as of 8:38AM PDT.
    Not surprising nor disappointing just the level of service we've come to expect from this company.

[img][/img]Screenshot%2067_zps8ijfhubt.png
  • Options
    That's noon for me.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Logged in today & saw that Cryptic with their infinite wisdom decided to deliver the (4) skill tree retrain tokens all to (1) character. lol

Why not (4) single skill tree retrain tokens or make them account wide to be usable by up to 4 different characters?

Decisions like this make me wonder if anyone at Cryptic evens plays their own game, understands it, or even cares to try to help the players especially after the recent circumstances of consistent retraining the skill tree.

Pathetic execution Cryptic with regards of the skill tree retrain tokens.

Am I missing the details wrong in the Promotions Tab?
  • Options
    k20vteck20vtec Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    credits to cryptic this time. good job.
    Hast thou not gone against sincerity
    Hast thou not felt ashamed of thy words and deeds
    Hast thou not lacked vigor
    Hast thou exerted all possible efforts
    Hast thou not become slothful
  • Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    I'm just glad I don't have to respec anymore. Kudos for the tokens and ship upgrade though.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    westmetals wrote: »
    Logged in today & saw that Cryptic with their infinite wisdom decided to deliver the (4) skill tree retrain tokens all to (1) character. lol

Why not (4) single skill tree retrain tokens or make them account wide to be usable by up to 4 different characters?

Decisions like this make me wonder if anyone at Cryptic evens plays their own game, understands it, or even cares to try to help the players especially after the recent circumstances of consistent retraining the skill tree.

Retrain tokens are stored on an account-wide basis, so it doesn't matter.

no they aren't - at least the ones you get through LTS and T6 rep aren't, otherwise all my characters would have access to a combined pool of hundreds, not the 23 or so the ones who've completed T6 rep and haven't touched any of their LTS stock do​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    westmetals wrote: »

Retrain tokens are stored on an account-wide basis, so it doesn't matter.

So wait, when I claim these (4) free skill tree retrain tokens, do they give them to just the 1 toon I use to claim them? Or, are (4) free skill tree retrain tokens given to all my toons on my account?
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    it would make sense if they wrote it so it stated what i think is how it goes...

only 1 toon can claim the reward, however, all your toons have access to the pool of tokens once claimed. but i could be wrong as they have done some odd ball stuff before.

You are correct.

All retrain tokens, no matter the source of acquisition are account wide. There is actually no such thing as a 'per character' retrain token. The wording when claiming them is.. well.. cryptic.. as usual.

Claim them on any character you wish, the Ship Upgrade is also account bound, it's the same one you get from the Phoenix Box store.

Enjoy! :smiley:
  • Options
    I feel like such a buffoon with egg on my face & any brow beating is deserved lol

I finally took the plunge with my most needed toon & claimed them but before took account of how many were on each toon then went back & all toons had an additional 4.

My apologies to Cryptic for thinking they took a short cut, I just didn't understand the terminology in the details stated. Well done to Cryptic that is a generous amount to offer.
  • Options
    aquarogue79#2415 aquarogue79 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    i tried to upgrade my ship using the token but it did nothing and it says that the ship has to be a T5+U it would have been nice to be notified about that when you are getting the item in the z store
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    When they announced these tokens when they came out they said it was only for T5-U and T6 ships.

Edit: And they do say they're for T5-U and T6 in the c-store:

5eCUr7Q.jpg
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • Options
    aquarogue79#2415 aquarogue79 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    echatty wrote: »
    When they announced these tokens when they came out they said it was only for T5-U and T6 ships.

5eCUr7Q.jpg

yaeh thats what i dont like is they make you wait till you are in the game before they say its for t5+u and t6 only so its like if you dont have those ships it kind of screws over those of us who dont drop money on the game. and to me that just isnt right not all of us can pay to win since thats what this game is actually doing under the guise of a free to play
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    echatty wrote: »

5eCUr7Q.jpg

yaeh thats what i dont like is they make you wait till you are in the game before they say its for t5+u and t6 only so its like if you dont have those ships it kind of screws over those of us who dont drop money on the game. and to me that just isnt right not all of us can pay to win since thats what this game is actually doing under the guise of a free to play

The information was clearly posted in the original announcement.

The information is also clearly posted on the Wiki Page.

It is also listed in the Zen Store before you buy the item as shown in the provided screenshots.

Basically, everywhere the information can be listed.. it is listed. What more do you want them to do? Come to your house and hand you a plaque engraved with the information? The real issue here is you were simply to lazy to read the information right in front of you.

As for your ridiculous 'pay to win' garbage.. there is an event going on RIGHT NOW that gets you a T6 ship.. absolutely free. They also just gave out an upgrade token.. absolutely free and when the upgrade system came out, they gave everyone a free upgrade token. On top of that, in February we will get yet another FREE T6 ship for the Anniversary event.

All of that is way more then you would ever need to play the game. There is nothing 'pay to win' about this game.. you're not even competing with other players. Everything you posted is completely absurd.
This discussion has been closed.