test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Any ideas for a Buran build?

f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
Right now I'm leaning towards NOT getting this ship ... even as much as I LOVE the design.

So gonna ask. ... Does anyone have what they think will be a decent build for this ship?

Does she have any hope as a sci cruiser?
Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!
" We stand TOGETHER and fight with HONOR!"

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)

Comments

• f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    Ok ... What are the possibilities?

Beam boat? ..... Torp boat? ... Sci boat? .... Support boat?

We know what the weaknesses are in her design. ... But what are her strengths and how do we exploit those?

Could she make a good sci cruiser? .... Good torp boat?
    Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    It kind of depends on what you want to do with it.

If you like the ship for RP reasons and just want to build it to get through story content and some advanced queues.. you should be fine. If you're looking for higher performance and want to take on Elite Queues, you should definately buy something else.

You could build with a Science Focus, but you only have a Lt. Commander Slot to work with. You could also use the Lt. Universal if you wanted but you won't have access to Commander Level abilities. 3 Science Consoles is also a little limiting, plus you have no secondary deflector so probably not the best idea.

It's best use is probably a standard Energy Weapon build, you could probably get away with using Fire At Will II as long as you slotted a console like Hostile Acquisition, or Weapon Sensor Enhancer to offset the accuracy penalty. You could set it up Aux2Bat or a Drake style setup.. the ship has plenty of Engineering to handle either one. Being that it's 4/4 with a slow turn rate and limits tactical powers to Lt. Level, Cannons are probably not going to be a good idea.. go with Beams.

That's about the best I can offer.. at best it's going to be 'ok,' or 'not terrible' no matter how you build it. Personally, I am just opting to not buy it.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    genhauk wrote: »
    Right now I'm leaning towards NOT getting this ship ... even as much as I LOVE the design.

So gonna ask. ... Does anyone have what they think will be a decent build for this ship?

Does she have any hope as a sci cruiser?
    A Delphic high yield torpedo boat with Emissions torpedo added with subspace warheads traits and x2 Con Firepower bridge powers being stacked into Exotic should make a good cruiser sci build .
  • f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    It's surprisingly good.

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    Yea... I also support going with more of a beam build due to the fact you're kinda locked into only Lt level Tactical abilities, and beam abilities are easier to support at lower levels. And if you wanted, you could use two of the Engie stations for Command abilities like Overwhelm Emitters and Suppression Barrage, and use the universal to replace those used Engie spots.

Really the only must have Tac ability is probably Tac Team, which can be slotted in an ensign. You can get FAW 1 or 2, Beam Overload 1 or 2, Or even a Torp Spread 1 or 2. Also maybe Kemocite 1 would be a good choice. So... maybe a decent balance on the Tactical would be Tac Team 1, FAW 2, Kemo 1, and Torp Spread 2. Or you could have BO 2 and be able to do both multi target or single target depending on the situation. But... if you bring out FAW, maybe pair it with Suppression Barrage.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited April 2019
    • Bridge Officers
      • Lt. Universal (Tactical): Tactical Team I, Attack Pattern Beta I
      • Lt. Tactical: Kemocite Laced Weaponry, Torpedo Spread II
      • Lt. Tactical: Distributed Targeting, Beam Fire At Will II
      • Lt.Cmdr Science: Science Team I, Hazard Emitters II, Gravity Well I
      • Cmdr. Engineering|Command: Engineering Team I, Aux2Bat I, Emergency Power to Weapons III, Auxiliary to Batteries III
    • Duty Officers: 3 VR Technicians, VR Gravimetric Scientist (Gravity Aftershock)
    • Weapon Slots - Front: 3 Beam Array, Kelvin Timeline Torpedo Launcher; 4 Beam Arrays
    • Traits: Cold Hearted, Improved Gravity Well, Predictive Algorithms, Emergency Weapon Cycle, Critical Systems
    • Specializations: Strategist + Command
    I guess the starship trait selection could use some help.

Alternates
    • Cmdr Engineering|Command: Emergency Power to Weapons, Concentrate Firepower, Emergency Power to Weapons III, Suppression Barrage III
    • Duty Officers: 3 VR Damage Control Officers
    • Traits: All Hands on Deck, Reciprocity, Predictive Algorithms, Emergency Weapon Cycle, Critical Systems

If you don't care to run 3 tactical lts, you could use Entwined Tactical Matrices and omit BFAW and Distributed Targeting, for example.

I use the Predictive Algorithms mostly because using lower ranked Beam Fire At Will or Cannon Scatter Volley means lower accuracy. Maybe that's not necessary. (For the current Featured TFO it might be useful, the Klingon missiles are had to intercept.)

You could also run a cannon build with a few tweaks.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    I probably would have gone with Suppression Barrage and Overwhelm Emitters in the Engie/Command, and used the Universal to give me back the Engie slots I used up for Command. Running Tac Team 1, BFAW 2, Kemo 1, and Spread 2 or AP Beta 1 would work fine IMO. Then again I'm more of a balance builder, trying to get equal amounts damage and survivability.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • lazarus#1508 lazarus Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    I know, I know, necroing a thread is bad,... I'm sorry
    BUT I just got this ship and holy TRIBBLE is it fun.

I'm running an all beam build, use my 3 LT. tac to get BO2,..FAW2,..and AP BETA.
    Now i thought about doing an AUX2BAT build but then i started looking at the ship trait,..all the healing buffs are nice buuut.
    the 10% cd on boffs started talking to me,..AUX2STRUCTURAL is already a pretty fast recharging power so I went with this.

Now with the ltc. sci I'm i got photonic office 2 for CD,..im also using ship traits Reciprocity, All Hands On Deck, and
    Unified Engineering,. I found myself with a lot of boff cd.

I also had the idea that to help with dps, since it only has on lt. tacs,.I would use elite scorpion fighters.
    I then slotted Suppression Barrage,.. and suddenly my fighters HY torps were on target.

all in all this is a fun ship.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,497 Arc User
    The Buran does look rather interesting system wise, and it is one of the very few DSC ships that actually look good visually. And while tanks are not supported well in this game it is still a nice change of pace to fly one.
  • trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    The Buran does look rather interesting system wise, and it is one of the very few DSC ships that actually look good visually. And while tanks are not supported well in this game it is still a nice change of pace to fly one.

Yep I use Mycelial Space set with the KDF counterpart ship and have it all setup with hull increasing abilities and consoles and then all the reflecting abilities possible. Power of Math used to have a math error that allowed the ship to get over a million hull until they fixed the math error now its at best around 400k hull when you get all you can out of it. Basically just heal yourself and watch everything die around you.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User

Yep I use Mycelial Space set with the KDF counterpart ship and have it all setup with hull increasing abilities and consoles and then all the reflecting abilities possible. Power of Math used to have a math error that allowed the ship to get over a million hull until they fixed the math error now its at best around 400k hull when you get all you can out of it. Basically just heal yourself and watch everything die around you.

The tool tip says 200k hull.
    While i usually stay away from replying in necroed topics, i am intrigued by the high hull claim.
    I don't min-max, but 125-150 is where i am at the moment.

Can you provide a skillplanner build showing how you reached hull higher than 250-300k?

This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    I use a couple ships similar to the Buran('science-cruisers'). From my experience there are two effective uses for the layout - a Healing-monster support/tank ship, and as an EPG platform. The command spec leans very well towards the former with Suppression Barrage 3 and Overwhelm Emitters alongside the usual SIF Generators and Emitter Arrays. The Latter, you use some of the myriad of universal EPG-boosting consoles and harness that damage with exotic torpedos, console clickies, and your choice of science powers.

I like the ship visually, but It's definitely outclassed by the Command Battlecruisers or the various Flight-Deck Cruisers available (which have two hangar bays).
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    Personally, I buy ships for the look, not the loadouts and stats. Every ship can be made viable but there are definitely ships that are better than others. For PvE content, even on elite though. A few minutes of thought and effort coupled with some decent gear will get you a build you can conquer anything the game can throw at you.
  • wingedhussar#7584 wingedhussar Member Posts: 436 Community Moderator
    Thread_Necromancy.jpg
    latest?cb=20171202101458

...THEN THE WINGED HUSSARS ARRIVED!
    Volunteer community moderator for the Star Trek Online forums. Not a Cryptic Studios or Perfect World employee.
This discussion has been closed.