test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tails for alien species and more female character creation love.

I have noticed that the way we submit bugs has changed and the new ticket system seems like a huge improvement. I actually got to communicate with someone that was very attentive to helping me figure out an issue. While talking, I mentioned how it would be nice to allow tails for alien species. That it used to be a bug that some characters still have tailored outfits with their characters being aliens with tails.

I suggested that for alien species tails should be available as all the other alien looks and such are available when making an alien species. The person helping me no only solved my problem, but is passing on the suggestion to the devs. Then told me that I should post here on the forum. That perhaps if we get more people responding and requesting that tails be reinstated for alien species, that they might listen. So I hope those who agree will post here and get this to their attention.

Let's improve the diversity of alien species and give them back tails.

The second thing is that there are three species that are male only. But there is not a single one that is female only. I would love to see female Gorns added....Would even be incredible if STO expanded genders like the trinary gendered species in TNG. Star Trek has always been known for being a lead on diversity and inclusiveness. That there are 3 male only species and no female only and no trinary+ species seems to be an area that STO can improve on.

Thank You :)

Comments

• spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,261 Arc User
    Well it would be very hard to expand the current gender selection to 3 or more, it's not an art or lore issue it's a coding issue. As for fem only species I can't recall any from Trek atm.

The game was originally built with 2 genders in mind and thus 2 genders is essentially hardcoded into the game, can it be changed yes, would it be worth the effort it would take probably not. You got remember that STO is over 10 years old so there's a lot systems interacting within the code.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Female aliens still can't use "horns" which makes creating female Deferi as they appear in STO impossible. That should be changed.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • eladonwarps#6040 eladonwarps Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    Humans have countless genders as well, I can only imagine what more could and should exist in the Trek lore. Andorians and Denobulans have large families, I'm sure that includes quite a few genders.

Believe me, I'd like to play with that a lot more, especially when it comes to gendering the available clothing items like Risian swimwear. I'd think that removing gender flags from these items would be easy, so that any person could use the item. But darn it, I'm a music teacher, not a game developer.

+ on these suggestions. Especially on behalf of my non-binary pseudo-reptilian Alien who is still missing their tail.
    Call me "El," she/her only. I love my wife and I don't care who knows it!
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Don't confuse sex and gender. The notion that those terns have different meanings is quite new, STO still uses them as equivalent. And as such they use them correctly, humans have two sexes. Gender identity isn't reflected in the game (because it frankly has no effect on anything). But there are still race choices where only one sex is available when there should be two.

However, I think that no example of species with more sexes than two even exist in canon, I think all of them are from novels only (Andorians for instance).
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    Andorians only have 4 sexes, this is going to get into some NSFW territory but when it came to Andorians I just chalked it to Males, Females, Females with D!cks and Vag and Males with both as well.
  • telbasta7386telbasta7386 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Don't confuse sex and gender. The notion that those terns have different meanings is quite new, STO still uses them as equivalent. And as such they use them correctly, humans have two sexes. Gender identity isn't reflected in the game (because it frankly has no effect on anything). But there are still race choices where only one sex is available when there should be two.

However, I think that no example of species with more sexes than two even exist in canon, I think all of them are from novels only (Andorians for instance).

There's only one I know if (didnt know about andorians): Hydrans from the Starfleet command series (namely SFC II)

Hydrans had 3 sexes/genders - Male, Female, and... 'other'. Hydrans had three of everything, though (three eyes, three legs, three arms, etc.) In SFC lore, Hydran partnerships involved all three genders, and the male/female could not procreate without aid from the third gender, which I believed also carried the offspring to term.

Back on topic: I do think we need to see female nausicaans, letheans, and gorn. Those 3 were restricted to male only, probably because there are no female visual representations of any of them in lore, and thus their addition to STO would have to be something completely new (and likely considered non-canon). I think cryptic's art team could pull it off, though.

The issues with alien parts being male/female restricted is something that should be changed as well, no reason not to have the same part list available for both of them. Tails would also be a great addition, though i get the feeling cryptic is keeping tails, fur, etc. out of the alien part list so that people are more inclined to purchase caitians/ferasans.
  • roninwolf1981#2968 roninwolf1981 Member Posts: 564 Arc User
    I would also like to add to this the ability to give skin patterns to our created characters. My primary Federation CAC (Create-A-Character) is Zhaan from Farscape, and in my attempt to pull off her look, I had to use the skin patterning labeled "Kobali."

What I found out is that the skin patterning only seems to be on the head, but not on the rest of the body (when I attempted to give her a 23c TOS uniform. When I recruited a Kobali from the Delta Quadrant and attempted to give her the 23c uniform, her skin patterning was clearly visible. Some of us that selected the "Alien" race for our characters would love for some of those skin patterning to be available for the rest of the body and not just on the head region.

Additionally: beards and facial hair for Vulcans and Romulans, please?
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    edited March 2021
    I would also like to add to this the ability to give skin patterns to our created characters. My primary Federation CAC (Create-A-Character) is Zhaan from Farscape, and in my attempt to pull off her look, I had to use the skin patterning labeled "Kobali."

What I found out is that the skin patterning only seems to be on the head, but not on the rest of the body (when I attempted to give her a 23c TOS uniform. When I recruited a Kobali from the Delta Quadrant and attempted to give her the 23c uniform, her skin patterning was clearly visible. Some of us that selected the "Alien" race for our characters would love for some of those skin patterning to be available for the rest of the body and not just on the head region.

Additionally: beards and facial hair for Vulcans and Romulans, please?

Vulcans had facial hair since day 1 because mirror Spock had a goatee, it's just Romulans that's missing facial hair, also does this post count as necro?
  • frankenbiker#9886 frankenbiker Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    I'd LOOOVE a "mouth/chin" option for tusks! :D

I can't be a proper Admiral Orc without them!