test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PSA: Don't respec your skills.. yet.

seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
So, someone posted a recap of the latest Ten Forward Weekly Stream over on Reddit.

You can view that post by u/TheSajuukKhar by clicking Here.

There are a few blurbs about the skill issue, here are the highlights from that post:
All three instances of the skill reset thing not being mentioned beforehand were due to breaks in the line of communication to Kael so he could know about it to tell us

They have stuff in place now to help prevent it from happening again

Skill resets because all the skill data in kept in a power tree that tracks all the skills in the game/what you've got, and fixing bugs in skills, and certain traits, can cause the powers tree to think your skill are invalid. The same is true of loadouts, since those touch skills also

All three instances of the skill retrains weren't part of normal development conversations, so Kael wasn't informed, and it came as a surprise to many of the devs also

Working on fixing traits getting wiped when changing ships.

I have bolded the last line for a reason. We can see that updates that touch the skill system cause this invalid bug to occur. They are currently working on the Traits issue as part of the load outs, it's already been established that loadouts touch the skill system.

Simple deduction tells you that when the fix for the Traits goes in, there is a good chance that the Skills will break again. Of course, I am not a game developer, I can't say for sure.. but it seems very likely.

For this reason alone, I am opting to leave my skills 'invalid' for now and would advise others to do the same. It will just help reduce the anger level when this happens again. Of course, it would be nice if Cryptic would let us know if this upcoming fix is expected to break the skills again.. but I think we all know we're on our own there.
Insert witty signature line here.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    So, someone posted a recap of the latest Ten Forward Weekly Stream over on Reddit.

There are a few blurbs about the skill issue, here are the highlights from that post:
    All three instances of the skill reset thing not being mentioned beforehand were due to breaks in the line of communication to Kael so he could know about it to tell us

Skill resets because all the skill data in kept in a power tree that tracks all the skills in the game/what you've got, and fixing bugs in skills, and certain traits, can cause the powers tree to think your skill are invalid. The same is true of loadouts, since those touch skills also

All three instances of the skill retrains weren't part of normal development conversations, so Kael wasn't informed, and it came as a surprise to many of the devs also

I have bolded the last line for a reason. We can see that updates that touch the skill system cause this invalid bug to occur. They are currently working on the Traits issue as part of the load outs, it's already been established that loadouts touch the skill system.

Simple deduction tells you that when the fix for the Traits goes in, there is a good chance that the Skills will break again. Of course, I am not a game developer, I can't say for sure.. but it seems very likely.

For this reason alone, I am opting to leave my skills 'invalid' for now and would advise others to do the same. It will just help reduce the anger level when this happens again. Of course, it would be nice if Cryptic would let us know if this upcoming fix is expected to break the skills again.. but I think we all know we're on our own there.

Well, I think the last part could happen if the dev internal server had the same bugs as the live server does, that way the QA team could go in and see what happens when the fix is applied.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User

I havent respec since the first bug... no problem so far.. i'll respec when they confirm it's safe to do so.. everything is working, so no need to do it right now.. :lol:
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    gaevsman wrote: »

I havent respec since the first bug... no problem so far.. i'll respec when they confirm it's safe to do so.. everything is working, so no need to do it right now.. :lol:

I stupidly did it twice.. on all 10 characters.

Not my best decision apparently. :lol:
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    I've only worked on my primary characters. Managed to tweak a few things with their builds too.

Thanks for the heads up though. Appreciate the information.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    I may have to with the ones who are doing Endeavors. Haven't maxed out the Specializations yet and am still getting points and not able to use them unless I do. But it'll be only on one or two.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    Done respec already on all characters (~16 or so). Have become more efficient at it, thankfully no mistakes. Bring on the endless respecs with no prior warning! I will squeeze out the last bit of fun of this sinking ship, broken skill activation and stroboscopic seizures be damned (lol).

Good heads up, ty for that.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • darknovasc01darknovasc01 Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    echatty wrote: »
    I may have to with the ones who are doing Endeavors. Haven't maxed out the Specializations yet and am still getting points and not able to use them unless I do. But it'll be only on one or two.

Odd, as I have not respecced any of my characters since this first occurred, and have still been able to spend specialization points as I accumulate them.
    Yes, you can still spend spec points even if your skills are invalid. I believe @jennycolvin recently posted a video showing this, it's perfectly safe to leave skills invalid even if you're still earning spec points.
    edited December 2020
    gaevsman wrote: »

I stupidly did it twice.. on all 10 characters.

Not my best decision apparently. :lol:

I have 30 chars now.. so nope, nope, nope.. no respec until confirmed.. :lol: lazyness saved the day!
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,844 Arc User
    don't matter for 17 more days
    Spock.jpg

• fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    I have 14 and have no intention of respecing, i did that the first time now 2 more in less than 2 months!
    NOT GOING TO HAPPEN HERE! 2 hours for 14 toons each and every few weeks or less, NEVER!
    Will continue to use them broke :) !
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    Um... you know you're not required to do them all in one single sitting... right?
    I've only ever focused on the group I regularly get on. Easily half of my entire roster is still borked because I don't really play those characters.

Just focus on the mains, then do alts over time. *shrug*
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    Yes, you can still spend spec points even if your skills are invalid. I believe @jennycolvin recently posted a video showing this, it's perfectly safe to leave skills invalid even if you're still earning spec points.

I can confirm that.
    Here's the link again, if anyone wants more proof:
    https://streamable.com/gcxej1

And thanks @seaofsorrows for this warning. I've relayed it to my fleetmates and it's much appreciated.
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • aleaicaleaic Member Posts: 352 Arc User
    -SMACKS HEAD ON KEYBOARD-

mumble: and I already did a respec on mah primary toon, oh well.

The bit at the end for losing skill traits on ship changes DEFINITELY need fixing since I change ships 'alot' for both endeavor flavor of the day damage specs, as well as personal 'i wana fly this ship' flavor as well. Might wana watch this soon with the xmas ship most everyone will be acquiring ju 'after christmas, and all dat dev vacation time coming, all all likely deserved such.
    aleaic wrote: »

No big deal, I did my primary too.. just because I don't like leaving him broken. That's not a big deal, what would suck is doing 10, 20, 30+ characters and then having it break.. again. :lol:
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    Thanks guys. So you have to double-click them to get them. Will remember that.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • mainamaina Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    I had some weird behavior with this. I had not logged into my main since this latest "feature to help us get carpal tunnel", after doing some work with alts, I logged onto her, and started a patrol (wanted), I felt that I was underperforming, and remembered that I hadn't fixed her, this was at the second station. I know I can't change her skills mid-mission, but I opened the window and sure enough no traits, Tribble. It wasn't till towards the end of the mission (my UI generally hides my buff bar, until it grows really large), that I noticed how large it was, Quick mouse over during a flight, showed the "Promise of Ferocity" trait was active. Unfortunately I didn't confirm what other buffs were going.

What might be important is "Promise of Ferocity" was the trait I put in the "X-upgrade" slot. I say might, because I didn't confirm any other trait active, but my Buffs are at the levels I normally see.

I just can't shake the feeling that I was still under performing that first patrol, after re-spec I did the 3 Disco patrols, it was the usual Slap them all down silly. I then tried several disco patrols on Elite to see about a post made yesterday(ish) and problems in them (I didn't experience any), and blew through them as I would have expected.

Side note. Has anyone tried to X-upgrade a shuttle? I wonder if it would work? Tribble, now I got to try. Never mind, you can't. now I'm kinda bummed. I didn't know I wanted this, now I has a sad. :'(
    Post edited by maina on
    gHF1ABR.jpg
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    Good grief. If whatever methods they use to store/manage skill point allocation is *THAT BAD* take your coders out back and shoot them, then go back to the drawing board with the skill system and start over. That is a level of incompetence and ignorance that has absolutely no place in anything resembling a professional development environment. Even paid AMATEURS can do better than that.

My guess is they already did that years ago when the coders asked for outrageous things like enough money per month to pay rent/fill the fridge & live without existential dread and the current ones are helplessly overwhelmed with everything.
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    echatty wrote: »
    Thanks guys. So you have to double-click them to get them. Will remember that.

I'm glad you noticed. I didn't do any voice over, and I forgot to put any kind of text explaining, but I hoped the double-click was noticeable enough that people would know that's what you need to do to assign the point(s).
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
    aleaic wrote: »

No big deal, I did my primary too.. just because I don't like leaving him broken. That's not a big deal, what would suck is doing 10, 20, 30+ characters and then having it break.. again. :lol:

Say what???? :lol: i just respec the one i'm leveling right now, no more!
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    I did one character and haven't bothered with the others after one respec. Now that it's constant invalid skills I'm not even trying. I just wish you could pick out all your skills ahead and then click save to lock them in place. I may just give up respec'n all together after this cause I'm sick of clicking a skill and the confirm button through one respec.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,102 Arc User
    Yeah, I haven't bothered as all my toons are max level; and while you can't update specialization points by clicking the spec power and pressing the button on the UI (the button stays greyed out); you can select it/add it by just double clicking it and clicking 'okay' on the selection dialog box that appears.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
    Nailed it..

This just went up on the STO Facebook page:
    We've determined that the build going to PC tomorrow will cause players to have to retrain their skills, again. We understand how unacceptable this is and apologise. The team is looking into it right now to figure out why this keeps happening, and if it's a larger issue.

At least this time we got a warning, progress. :lol:
    I didn't see that 2nd one, thanks for the update Nagus! :smile:
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    Oh thanks for the warning Sea. :)

Fortunately I saw your thread before another reskill.

Unfortunately Kyle did not. :D

animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
This discussion has been closed.