test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

another skills invalid? WTF?

Comments

• foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    To everyone who says everything is fine without a reset...if your trait on your Xed ship is not a major part of your build...you probably are. IF however it is...than you are borked as that will be unslotted now and you CAN NOT slot a trait there without the respec.

I have not had that experience. I didn't fix the last respec and X'd my Akira, and slotted the trait fine.

That is hilarious that it is LESS broken if you didn't fix it the last time.

I don't know if this latest respec changes anything, but as of the last one, not retraining had no apparent ill effects just to be clear.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    In the next Ten Forward Weekly someone needs to ask Kael why this keeps happening, and why it's never mentioned in patch notes.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    In the next Ten Forward Weekly someone needs to ask Kael why this keeps happening, and why it's never mentioned in patch notes.

Do you expect a straight answer? That seems unlikely. What we might get is "We are looking into it." Just like they have been "looking into" the Temporal Ambassador bug on Console for months.

I suspect they don't know what is causing this respec bug, and they are too busy pumping out "new" ships in an attempt to get more money out of the players to really look into it. This is the flaw with the F2P game model: because most gamers have short attention spans, the devs need to keep pumping out more micro-transaction content to keep the game profitable, which means they have neither the time nor personelle to fix bugs.
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    Take this as a positive.

Before you respec, I highly recommend watching Timberwolf's Technical Guide on the Skill tree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AZGUBwaAhg

I learned a lot of things about what skills I wasted a point on and things to enhance my builds. It takes me about 3 days to respec all 56 characters, but in the end they will all have better specs.

Cryptic, "invalid skills" issue should never happen again. You have all the data right there. It's one fracking line of code that could fix this. Stuff like this kills your customers confidence in you and your products, especially with the cost of things in game going up. If you want to charge more, you need to start bringing your "A" game to development. At times it seems like you have forgotten that your customers are here to play "Star Trek Online", not "Respec Online".
    The problem with videos like that is while useful for beginners the skill tree is choices that are good for one person are terrible for another. For example, he says you want to always max our Accuracy which I disagree with. Most people want to max it out but not always. Personally, I don’t spend any points in Accuracy as it’s a complete waste of points that does nothing for me.

Overall, it’s a good guide just some of those must take choices are really not must choices as it depends on what build you use.

I think there is a mistake in that video with damage control. It doesn’t work per 1 second you get x amount of hitpoints back. The more damage control you have the faster the healing ticks happen. For example without any you might heal once every 7 or 10 seconds. With a medium amount you will heal once every 5 seconds and with a large massive amount you heal every second or faster. For me it’s a must I always max 3 points in as it provides all the healing, I need without using bridge office powers. Plus it’s a double heal. Boosting hit points also boost passive healing.

The main benefit of damage control is it makes the free passive heal tick happen more often. It is not a waste of time to avoid as you want that heal to happen as often as possbile. Also shield regen its x4 as its per facing. 1000 shield per cycle = 4000 shield to be diverted into the facing taking damage. 4000 per cycle = 16,000 to divert into the facing taking damage.

Personally I use the two passive skills and go for zero active shield skills or bridge powers. Then go for DPS bridge officer powers.

Still a good guide. Just a few little bits I am not 100% agreeing with. The Accuracy comments in the video are correct for 95% of builds.

Excellent points, thank you. On a Science build, I don't give a donkey TRIBBLE about Accuracy.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    you still need accuracy in a science build - your main damage may come from negative space wedgies, but all your supporting damage comes from torpedoes, which can miss...a lot...with no accuracy

that's why the science skillset on the league's website has it maxed out - well, that and they needed to get to 27 tac skills for the fully empowered ultimate​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,403 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    I logged in last night to do the Winter Event and saw the Skills invalid thing which I want to call a bug and a huge annoyance right now. I already did a free respec twice the first and second times this happened and even one time made a mistake with one and used a leftover respec I had on one of my characters. I am not going to respec thrice until they post this information in the patch notes where it should have been the first time, the second time, and now the third time. with an explanation as well. Aargh! Finally, that was not the only thing that was not put in the patch notes according to Som in a thread also in General Discussion. Those two items are "Items rewarded from endeavor boxes now have their text colored to the same color as their rarity [I saw that last night in-game] and the ships in ESD got updated."
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    To everyone who says everything is fine without a reset...if your trait on your Xed ship is not a major part of your build...you probably are. IF however it is...than you are borked as that will be unslotted now and you CAN NOT slot a trait there without the respec.

by Xed do you mean the experimental upgrade thing? If so, my trait is still slotted. My active ground is the only thing empty probably because of the split they did recently. But I'll just leave that be for now.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• eladonwarps#6040 eladonwarps Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    I'm a bit frustrated too. I usually respec one character at a time when I want to actually play them, and I've got the process down pretty easy. Some of them I didn't even get to last time.

As a result, I discovered a levelling character can still add regular Space/Ground skill points as well. All you have to do is Double-Click the skill you want, you'll get the pop up to confirm confirm, and you're good.

So at this point I'll just keep them Invalid until I actually want to respec somebody.

All of this? Still better than the absolute tribble-storm that is Neverwinter's combat change right now. I'll gladly stay here on STO.
    Call me "El," she/her only. I love my wife and I don't care who knows it!
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    garaffe wrote: »

Do you expect a straight answer? That seems unlikely. What we might get is "We are looking into it." Just like they have been "looking into" the Temporal Ambassador bug on Console for months.
    That's very optimistic, I'd expect a "We weren't aware of that, could you give more details?"
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    Oh man I was just about back into STO full swing but these re skills and the way they handle it is a sure exit out of it again.

At least I dont need the skills valid for running the ice and do endeavors. I should call it a day beyond that and spend my holiday money elsewhere.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,165 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    you still need accuracy in a science build - your main damage may come from negative space wedgies, but all your supporting damage comes from torpedoes, which can miss...a lot...with no accuracy

that's why the science skillset on the league's website has it maxed out - well, that and they needed to get to 27 tac skills for the fully empowered ultimate​​
    It depends on the sci build, while the majority do benefit from accuracy a handful do not. The 3 core builds I swap between none of them benefit from accuracy nor am I finding the ultimate does much either so I skip that. Its why after the first invalid skill bug I removed skill points in accuracy after having it for years as I came to realize it wasnt worth while for me. Saying that, the more common widespread builds do need accuracy and I would say the majority of builds do benefit from the ultimate. Its just there are a few exceptions which is why I am not keen on saying always go accuracy or ultimate.
  • garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User

I must disagree. Most of my characters run an EPG build, and I never use accuracy. The only time I am firing torpedos it is with TS2 or TS3, which always hits. In fact, on my main character (Sci), I have 0 points in Tac. My main alt (Eng) only has 5 points in tac in order to boost carrier pets.

Mega-well builds don't need accuracy because they just drop a mega-well and a few other anomalies, crack open a beer, and watch.
  • mikewallace#2209 mikewallace Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    Cryptic might say today about this...

593d260fc6f9eac6c9d3adf479120b9f.jpeg

• vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,843 Arc User
    is this a THIRD one? where is my towel, I wanna throw it in the ring
    Spock.jpg

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I just ignore it and play on. The Wonderland doesn't require skills and in the TFOs for the event I didn't notice a change in performance pig-2.gif​​

true for winter thing, but i cant spend specialization points without redoing basic skills. so this becomes a concern about who the F is TRIBBLE things up and why?

Just wanted to say that you can, indeed, spend specialization points even with the "Skills Invalid" error message displaying.
    Here, just took a quick video to show it:
    https://streamable.com/gcxej1

Nice, thanks for that.

I am not doing this re-spec again.. especially since it will just get broken again in a week or two. At least I THINK it will.. no way I can tell because our worthless CM can't be bothered to let us know what's going on.

Interesting, I haven't re-speced this time and all my T6-X Traits seem fine. Granted, I have not tried changing any of them out, but right now, they are all slotted and working fine. Still, I have no reason to doubt what you're saying so I will keep a close eye on them.
    shadowkosh wrote: »
    Still nothing from the devs

No surprise there.. they can't be bothered to interact with the player base or distribute any type of information. Calling them a 3rd rate studio is a compliment at this point.
    Oh man I was just about back into STO full swing but these re skills and the way they handle it is a sure exit out of it again.

At least I dont need the skills valid for running the ice and do endeavors. I should call it a day beyond that and spend my holiday money elsewhere.

Same here.. and Cyberpunk just came out.. so I'll put my money there. I am so sick of Cryptic and their B.S. There is no way I would consider spending money on this game at this point.

The funny thing is, a simple communication telling us why this was happening and letting us know if we should expect more updates of this type would have completely absolved the entire thing for me. One or two sentences.. but again, since we have no actual CM I guess no one cares enough to do that.

Pathetic.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    WTF?

^ What he said.
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Any comment or explaination from the Livestream?

Nope, just our CM's usual treatment of any question or issue..

Disinterested Silence.

Exactly what you would expect from someone that flat out doesn't care.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    > @seaofsorrows said:
    > Nope, just our CM's usual treatment of any question or issue..
    >
    > Disinterested Silence.
    >
    > Exactly what you would expect from someone that flat out doesn't care.

He is probably playing infected manus without any skills valid and yells at the devs to fix the map as his team mates can’t conclude it for him. :D
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
    > @seaofsorrows said:
    > Nope, just our CM's usual treatment of any question or issue..
    >
    > Disinterested Silence.
    >
    > Exactly what you would expect from someone that flat out doesn't care.

He is probably playing infected manus without any skills valid and yells at the devs to fix the map as his team mates can’t conclude it for him. :D

:lol:

Sounds about right.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
    Still not experiencing any problems, gameplay-wise.

Yes, the skills are invalid. Just ignore that button and play the game until they can finally fix it (and hopefully many of the other stuff that's been broken for far too long).
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    Any comment or explaination from the Livestream?

Nope, just our CM's usual treatment of any question or issue..

Disinterested Silence.

Exactly what you would expect from someone that flat out doesn't care.

Hm - according to a post on Reddit (I quote):
    "Yeah Kael mentioned how they honestly didn't know the latest change would cause another respec, and said if he knew he'd always communicate that to the playerbase, and that covid work-from-home is making communication between team members harder"

I'm not going to comment on the 'didn't know aspect of this comment, but I WILL say..... BS on the work-from-home comment.

Seriously, again, I work in Healthcare. I've had to self-isolate several times during this pandemic. I've had to work from home each time AND play makeshift-teacher for my six-year old daughter who was also at home due to her school being closed on several of those occasions. And despite having to juggle working from home with home-teaching a six year old I STILL managed to remain productive enough that the more time-sensitive or urgent work I had to concentrate on (much of which obviously requires me to liaise with my colleagues or other services outside of the one I work for) still got done.

So sorry, NO sympathy from me whatsoever on that excuse. I mean, even if 'Live' working isn't possible, is he incapable using email?!

Not only that, but that excuse sailed out the window the MOMENT Borticus admitted "we knew, we just forgot to put it in the patch notes" the FIRST time it happened.
    They knew the second time, too, and they couldn't be bothered to tell us.

Also, "he'd ALWAYS communicate"? Please, he wouldn't communicate ANYTHING if it was for him, so as to work even LESS than what he already do.

Also also, so nice to see the usual suspects not coming in here guns ablazing to defend this flaming pile of targ TRIBBLE. I guess not even them can find any way to spun this, this time around. And that alone tell us everything we need to know.
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
    edited December 2020
    "Yeah Kael mentioned how they honestly didn't know the latest change would cause another respec, and said if he knew he'd always communicate that to the playerbase, and that covid work-from-home is making communication between team members harder"

Interesting, I wonder where that quote came from. Because Kael has been his usual silent self on Reddit just like he has been here. He certainly didn't post it anywhere readily available.. at least I can't find it.
    I'm not going to comment on the 'didn't know aspect of this comment, but I WILL say..... BS on the work-from-home comment.

Yeah, I am with you here. I am also on a Work From Home from my job.. I work in IT but we support multiple mainframe and server applications that requires communication between multiple teams. We were told, as many others were, that while they understand that the transition will have challenges, the client expects the same level of service that they had pre-pandemic and my team has made that happen.

Their issues in communication come from an obvious problem. We have seen how well Kael communicates, apparently his communication skills are as bad with his co-workers as they are with the player base.

Also, "he'd ALWAYS communicate"? Please, he wouldn't communicate ANYTHING if it was for him, so as to work even LESS than what he already do.

I found that funny as well. He would always communicate? Seriously?

He has never communicated anything before, but we are supposed to believe THIS would have been the exception? It's an established pattern of incompetence and now he has just thrown in pathetic excuses on top if it.

Bravo.
    edited December 2020

Interesting, I wonder where that quote came from. Because Kael has been his usual silent self on Reddit just like he has been here. He certainly didn't post it anywhere readily available.. at least I can't find it.

According to the person who posted on Reddit, he said that during the Livestream. To be fair I can't verify that as I wasn't present for the Livestream.

I don't tend to go out of my way to watch the livestreams anymore, partly because I'm not a fan of staying awake until 1am and partly because it became painfully obvious that, no matter how many people say it nor how often it is said, they're not interested in how badly many of us want to see the Nova class get some love.

And this is why Kael fails as a communicator.

A passing comment on a live stream does not count as an official reply to the player base. I have tuned in for a couple of the streams, and usually there is anywhere from 2-8 people on it at one time.. I think the most I have ever seen is like 18.. it's a very small group that watches these. Yes, we have a few people who are kind enough to recap these for us from time to time, but it's certainly not their job to do so.

It's just unreal that he's so lazy that he can't just type up a couple sentences to let us all know exactly what the hell is going on. I guess if that's too much for him, accurate patch notes are definitely a pipe dream.
    BS on the work-from-home comment.

The way he said it on the stream actually does make sense. Basically when everyone is in the office people would walk past his desk, see him in the break room, etc and say something along the lines of "Oh I forgot, XYZ is about to happen and you should probably know about it." I'm not trying to defend anyone, but it does make some sense in that context.
    Not only that, but that excuse sailed out the window the MOMENT Borticus admitted "we knew, we just forgot to put it in the patch notes" the FIRST time it happened.

Again I'm not trying to defend anyone, and I'm rather aggravated about it myself, but in the stream he basically said that each time it's happened the people who were fixing issues with the skills were aware that this would happen, but that they had neglected to tell anyone else. So Kael and other people involved with STO found out when we did due to internal communication issues.
    eaY7Xxu.png
    To be fair I can't verify that as I wasn't present for the Livestream.

Here's the VOD of the stream, the skills invalid issue is discussed at about 8:55

https://m.twitch.tv/videos/831702115
    eaY7Xxu.png
This discussion has been closed.