test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

another skills invalid? WTF?

Comments

• mainamaina Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    It's the lack of professionalism in communication that's keeping them from ever being more than a lower B list studio with a few licenses. This has nothing to do with Perfect World, it's all the management of Cryptic, it moved beyond Kael long ago.

As of this time, no response here, Reddit, or the official Twitter account, no words to the customer base of any kind. Yet several of the employees (including one who bares this responsibility) are tweeting away politics and playing "I like you too" games....

This is so far removed from the bare minimum of respect for the customers that it leaves me wondering what they really think about Star Trek and people in general.
    gHF1ABR.jpg
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    Take this as a positive.

Before you respec, I highly recommend watching Timberwolf's Technical Guide on the Skill tree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AZGUBwaAhg

I learned a lot of things about what skills I wasted a point on and things to enhance my builds. It takes me about 3 days to respec all 56 characters, but in the end they will all have better specs.

Cryptic, "invalid skills" issue should never happen again. You have all the data right there. It's one fracking line of code that could fix this. Stuff like this kills your customers confidence in you and your products, especially with the cost of things in game going up. If you want to charge more, you need to start bringing your "A" game to development. At times it seems like you have forgotten that your customers are here to play "Star Trek Online", not "Respec Online".
    The problem with videos like that is while useful for beginners the skill tree is choices that are good for one person are terrible for another. For example, he says you want to always max our Accuracy which I disagree with. Most people want to max it out but not always. Personally, I don’t spend any points in Accuracy as it’s a complete waste of points that does nothing for me.

Overall, it’s a good guide just some of those must take choices are really not must choices as it depends on what build you use.

I think there is a mistake in that video with damage control. It doesn’t work per 1 second you get x amount of hitpoints back. The more damage control you have the faster the healing ticks happen. For example without any you might heal once every 7 or 10 seconds. With a medium amount you will heal once every 5 seconds and with a large massive amount you heal every second or faster. For me it’s a must I always max 3 points in as it provides all the healing, I need without using bridge office powers. Plus it’s a double heal. Boosting hit points also boost passive healing.

The main benefit of damage control is it makes the free passive heal tick happen more often. It is not a waste of time to avoid as you want that heal to happen as often as possbile. Also shield regen its x4 as its per facing. 1000 shield per cycle = 4000 shield to be diverted into the facing taking damage. 4000 per cycle = 16,000 to divert into the facing taking damage.

Personally I use the two passive skills and go for zero active shield skills or bridge powers. Then go for DPS bridge officer powers.

Still a good guide. Just a few little bits I am not 100% agreeing with. The Accuracy comments in the video are correct for 95% of builds.

Post edited by pottsey5g on
  • jaistonjaiston Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    This is getting beyond a joke.

They'll act like nothing is wrong though.
  • shadowkoshshadowkosh Member Posts: 1,688 Arc User
    really? another skills invalid?

what the hell is going on cryptic? this is getting pathetic...

No... this is way past pathetic.
    Way...
    ...Past...
    ...Pathetic

100% agree way beyond pathetic
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    > @corinthalas said:
    > Literally the *ONLY* thing keeping me from ranting is the possibility that this *COULD* have been avoided if they'd had more direct access to the servers, but because it's all remote work, they've had to make do with what they've got, and *WE* get to pick up the slack.

I am certain that they have someone go in the office and check on things. So, sorry, but that argument holds no water.
    I'm not so certain - the office is in California, and I really don't think Gov. Newsom defines game studios as "essential businesses".

Also, the servers themselves are in Massachusetts - no idea what restrictions are like there.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    I'd say just ignore and don't respect at all...heck with another patch or even anniversary it will be broken again.

They thought with the loadout improvement it will be BETTER quality of life for players:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11480883-get-the-right-loadout!

It has had the opposite effect. MR EP should get fired for this repeat catastrophic mistakes.
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,212 Arc User
    I knew after the first invalid bug a bit ago that they were going to continue breaking things again and again so I never bothered with the respecs.

However this is awful really. I'm so tired of the consistently poor quality of cryptic's patches. Its annoying logging on to see what new thing is broken.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • rebeccaswe#9565 rebeccaswe Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    It's probably a feature at this point: "Skills Malfunction" or "Combat-induced character amnesia" ? :blush:
    panic.jpg
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    Any one else getting where no queues/TFOs show up in the list? I'm having it on a KDF char, so I'm unsure if it's the re-do the tutorial bug (that previously did not affect this char) or something related to Skills Invalid.
  • garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    Not to stir the pot, but have y'all noticed that as soon as people started complaining about skills invalid on the Patch Notes Thread, they locked it down and archieved it?

It is bad enough that the ONLY thing they have posted in the Galactic News Network in MONTHS has been hastily copy-and-pasted patch notes, it is worse that they don't even leave the thread open to get feedback. This is the sign of a company that does not care about their customers in the slightest.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    They lock the patch notes threads and archive them by end of day of patch, as far as I know.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
    It has been inconsistant lately, but the majority of patch notes have been open for more than one day.
  • ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,449 Arc User
    So Cryptic, in an uncharacteristically generous move, has decided to give us all free respecs whether we wanted them or not...

Again!

This must be the first day of an annual giveaway?

/end sarcasm
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User

nccmark wrote: »
    I was about to post this same thing...it's beyond funny at this point

I refuse to get re-skilling every toon, just to have it reset again a few weeks later
    pwdmcb wrote: »
    Its a sign of ineptitude on the part of the devs. Just like all the unresolved bugs , they refuse to fix. I would rather they make no new events, no new ships, and no new missions, until they fix as many of the bugs as they can.
    Yeah was about to post this, I think pathetic is spoken out nicely...
    While I might accept that fixing a bug required a patch that caused this problem yet again, it is unconscionable that they didn't have the courtesy to warn players or even make an official announcement.
    Are you serious? This can't be for real. Even being super efficient at respec, this takes so much time. Wow just wow.
    reyan01 wrote: »
    nccmark wrote: »
    I was about to post this same thing...it's beyond funny at this point

I refuse to get re-skilling every toon, just to have it reset again a few weeks later

Same. This is tiresome, pathetic, and frankly unacceptable.
    shadowkosh wrote: »
    This is beyond pathetic this is now the third time I’m going to have to do this on 40 toons
    maina wrote: »
    It's the lack of professionalism in communication that's keeping them from ever being more than a lower B list studio with a few licenses. This has nothing to do with Perfect World, it's all the management of Cryptic, it moved beyond Kael long ago.

As of this time, no response here, Reddit, or the official Twitter account, no words to the customer base of any kind. Yet several of the employees (including one who bares this responsibility) are tweeting away politics and playing "I like you too" games....

This is so far removed from the bare minimum of respect for the customers that it leaves me wondering what they really think about Star Trek and people in general.
    jaiston wrote: »
    This is getting beyond a joke.

They'll act like nothing is wrong though.

Way...
    ...Past...
    ...Pathetic
    shadowkosh wrote: »

Way...
    ...Past...
    ...Pathetic

100% agree way beyond pathetic
    westx211 wrote: »
    I knew after the first invalid bug a bit ago that they were going to continue breaking things again and again so I never bothered with the respecs.

However this is awful really. I'm so tired of the consistently poor quality of cryptic's patches. Its annoying logging on to see what new thing is broken.
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Sigh...yeah...I don't care if there is a pandemic or not...this is completely unacceptable from it even happening to NOT TELLING US THAT IT BLOODY HAPPENED BECAUSE OUR CM CAN'T BE BOTHERED TO. If you can't break things every update because of the pandemic...just STOP already until it is done.

/agree!

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Sigh...yeah...I don't care if there is a pandemic or not...this is completely unacceptable from it even happening to NOT TELLING US THAT IT BLOODY HAPPENED BECAUSE OUR CM CAN'T BE BOTHERED TO. If you can't break things every update because of the pandemic...just STOP already until it is done.

Agreed, the worst part here is the complete lack of communication.

Should I bother to respec my characters? Are they planning another future update that will break it again?

The absolute lack of any communication is just unacceptable. From not putting it in the patch notes, to not communicating with us what is happening or how many more of these we should expect. @ambassadorkael#6946 I know you don't have the guts to respond to anyone.. but you sir are doing a lousy job and you need to either do better or find a position better suited to whatever it is you do.

Ban me if you want, I don't care anymore.. you are terrible at your job and you need to be held accountable. For once, have the guts to actually respond to the community and explain exactly what the #$*& is going on here.

Do your damn job!
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User

Should I bother to respec my characters? Are they planning another future update that will break it again?

The absolute lack of any communication is just unacceptable. From not putting it in the patch notes, to not communicating with us what is happening or how many more of these we should expect. @ambassadorkael#6946 I know you don't have the guts to respond to anyone.. but you sir are doing a lousy job and you need to either do better or find a position better suited to whatever it is you do.

Ban me if you want, I don't care anymore.. you are terrible at your job and you need to be held accountable. For once, have the guts to actually respond to the community and explain exactly what the #$*& is going on here.

Do your damn job!

The sad thing is, even if he DID address this it would, likely, be on on Twitter since that seems to be his favoured platform.

And he also have the guts of *COMPLAINING* because people are "mean" to him. Dude, if I were to pull the stunts he regularly pull while supposedly doing his job, I'd be fired in .5 seconds flat. Why isn't he?!
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • sunsunkunsunsunkun Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    Found that was invalid 3 days ago, now invalid again? Can o leave invalid? Its just visual or affect the skills?
    edited December 2020
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I just ignore it and play on. The Wonderland doesn't require skills and in the TFOs for the event I didn't notice a change in performance pig-2.gif​​

true for winter thing, but i cant spend specialization points without redoing basic skills. so this becomes a concern about who the F is TRIBBLE things up and why?

Just wanted to say that you can, indeed, spend specialization points even with the "Skills Invalid" error message displaying.
    Here, just took a quick video to show it:
    https://streamable.com/gcxej1
    kv1Ohsx.png

- quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.

Do your damn job!

The sad thing is, even if he DID address this it would, likely, be on on Twitter since that seems to be his favoured platform.

And he also have the guts of *COMPLAINING* because people are "mean" to him. Dude, if I were to pull the stunts he regularly pull while supposedly doing his job, I'd be fired in .5 seconds flat. Why isn't he?!

I don't know. I'm not going to pretend I understand how things work in the gaming industry; I work in Healthcare (the UK NHS) and have done, in various capacties, for the past 27 years.

What I DO know is that if I consistently provided sloppy, inaccurate, information to our patients, and reacted to complaints the way he does, I would have lost my job a LONG time ago.

Exactly! Whatever your field of work is, if you do a lousy job... you lose it. And that's that.
    kv1Ohsx.png

• alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    Maybe this time around space & ground traits and starship traits no longer revert themselves randomly, since the last forced respec caused this new bug which has, to my knowledge, not been acknowledged. Respecing I discovered the wrong setup yet again on a character I've been polishing a build on.

It's somewhat game breaking to have the completely wrong setup on specific builds after launching a mission where they literally cannot be readjusted and leaving incurs a leaver penalty. It is very game breaking to be forced to verify this every single time on ever single character on every single map move with those two major setbacks.

Also it has to be said, every single one of my selected traits are essential to the functioning and testing of my build in elite patrols. Most if not all equipment is tied to the gameplay and interacts with the traits, all of which took considerable time to obtain in the first place. Having it shuffled around is the equivalent of equipping random junk and expecting that to be fair and worth your time: it is not.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    I did not notice because I did no respecs after the last unexpected reset. Everything is still fine. I don't plan to go through and reset anyone again until the KDF legendaries come out so I can get those captains their proper setups for those ships.
    I think I will start working on a "naked" build (no traits, no captain skills) before this flaming pile of a patch comes to Xbox.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    To everyone who says everything is fine without a reset...if your trait on your Xed ship is not a major part of your build...you probably are. IF however it is...than you are borked as that will be unslotted now and you CAN NOT slot a trait there without the respec.

I have not had that experience. I didn't fix the last respec and X'd my Akira, and slotted the trait fine.
This discussion has been closed.