test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is STO: Rebirth ever coming back?

commadersetekcommadersetek Member Posts: 45 Arc User
Back in 2015 at the April Fools Day event, the original Launch of STO was available on redshirt.
I was 11 at the time and couldn't work out how to get to redshirt ;D
I've always regretted seing what the game first looked like in 2010. Do you guys think there's ever a chance for it to come back for a day or so?
Thanks
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,481 Arc User
    Back in 2015 at the April Fools Day event, the original Launch of STO was available on redshirt.
    I was 11 at the time and couldn't work out how to get to redshirt ;D
    I've always regretted seing what the game first looked like in 2010. Do you guys think there's ever a chance for it to come back for a day or so?
    Thanks

Will never happen. Several of the devs have commented of the sheer hell it was to get that to run on Redshirt. They even mentioned how it was a miracle it seemed to run as well as it did for the short time they had it active.
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • Options
    nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    kinda funny, doesn't WoW run a vanilla server with just the old original content?
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    nixie50 wrote: »
    kinda funny, doesn't WoW run a vanilla server with just the old original content?

Yeah, but it's a bit more complicated than Rebirth was. With Rebirth the STO devs basically just through the old code on Redshirt, while with WoW Classic Blizz actually reverse engineered everything so that they could get it working with their modern systems. So on the surface WoW Classic looks, feels, and behaves exactly like Vanilla WoW, but under the hood it's very different.

That said, even though it won't happen I'd still love to be able to relive the launch experience with a STO Classic server :)
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    sunsunkunsunsunkun Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    This is technically impossible with the actual client, for this happen a whole client must be download, cant be patched, and think about the cost of bandwidth.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    > @evilmark444 said:
    > Yeah, but it's a bit more complicated than Rebirth was. With Rebirth the STO devs basically just through the old code on Redshirt, while with WoW Classic Blizz actually reverse engineered everything so that they could get it working with their modern systems. So on the surface WoW Classic looks, feels, and behaves exactly like Vanilla WoW, but under the hood it's very different.
    >
    > That said, even though it won't happen I'd still love to be able to relive the launch experience with a STO Classic server :)

We should also remember that Blizzard has more resources to put on WoW (either retail or classic) then Cryptic has for STO.
  • Options
    But I mean it would technically be possible, right? It was done before and I think many people would like to see how the game improved over the years. Maybe at an anniversary in a few years? ^^
  • Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    Maybe they could run something similar as a special event, like how the Borg invaded all space, repeatedly killing everything in their path. :D There is also something the best (in my opinion) Executive Producer did for fun to players once that I think should be a TFO. Dan Stahl had his IKS Lollipop flying over the Starfleet Academy map while firing off a few shots at players. :D Why can't this be a thing?!? Let people on the ground shoot at ships invading or something. Dan truly was a Star Trek fan and that showed with his active presence in the game as well as on the forums and that came through in the content, although slowly rolled out, but was released during his two runs as EP.
  • Options
    jcsww wrote: »
    Maybe they could run something similar as a special event, like how the Borg invaded all space, repeatedly killing everything in their path. :D There is also something the best (in my opinion) Executive Producer did for fun to players once that I think should be a TFO. Dan Stahl had his IKS Lollipop flying over the Starfleet Academy map while firing off a few shots at players. :D Why can't this be a thing?!? Let people on the ground shoot at ships invading or something. Dan truly was a Star Trek fan and that showed with his active presence in the game as well as on the forums and that came through in the content, although slowly rolled out, but was released during his two runs as EP.

Wait what was that borg event?
  • Options
    sunsunkunsunsunkun Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    But I mean it would technically be possible, right? It was done before and I think many people would like to see how the game improved over the years. Maybe at an anniversary in a few years? ^^

Well, technically, in the pure essence of the word, yes, but not realistically, because will demand a dedicated team, most dont even know anymore how to operate the old legacy server, and then or new server for the shard, probably with old operational system, due to compatibility, also one database server, with old RDBMS, and old backups from that database era, then probably also need authentication updates, since lots of thing changed, and if everything run first time, they will dont need to call some retired Cryptic employee on Thailand to fix it, they will need to put old client on some server or content distribution service, for everyone get a copy, will consume huge bandwidth, and so on... the list of problems are big, and the effort and cost are prohibitive!

• Options
    jcsww wrote: »

Wait what was that borg event?

I think that was the end of the open beta or the end of the head start. It has been quite a long time ago.
  • Options
    alonaralonar Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    That "Borg event" was cool but not as epic as it made out, it was just 1 dev in a sphere I think, not Stahl, at earth attacking players arround ESD right at the end of Beta.
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    > @alonar said:
    > That "Borg event" was cool but not as epic as it made out, it was just 1 dev in a sphere I think, not Stahl, at earth attacking players arround ESD right at the end of Beta.

I thought it was epic. What I saw was a major invasion by the Borg. I remember as the beta was ending wave after wave of Borg beamed into ESD. As the server went down me and three others were surrounded.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    khan5000 wrote: »
    > @alonar said:
    > That "Borg event" was cool but not as epic as it made out, it was just 1 dev in a sphere I think, not Stahl, at earth attacking players arround ESD right at the end of Beta.

I thought it was epic. What I saw was a major invasion by the Borg. I remember as the beta was ending wave after wave of Borg beamed into ESD. As the server went down me and three others were surrounded.

What I think was epic about it, was that the Borg actually felt like the powerful and feared Borg they should have always been in the game. They show up where they are not wanted and destroy and conquer. :D
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    khan5000 wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCgxRFC8veI
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Just have someone ask where sulu is every 30 seconds and you'll have a fairly accurate ESD experience.
This discussion has been closed.