test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Disco 2 Piece or Comp 2 Piece

daimon97daimon97 Member Posts: 368 Arc User
Is Comp still META or Disco is the new Meta?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    The main thing about the Comp engines(specifically) is that they provide a LOT of on-demand mobility to any ship.
  • daimon97daimon97 Member Posts: 368 Arc User
    szerontzur wrote: »
    The main thing about the Comp engines(specifically) is that they provide a LOT of on-demand mobility to any ship.

Yup I use it but ppl told me that Disco Shield and Core, Comp Engines and Colony def is a META now is that true?
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,266 Arc User
    yes...on non-science builds - science builds have the revolutionary set to contend with now, and while i haven't seen any definitive answers on if they'll bump out any current CDES pieces at the high end yet, things look promising​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • discojerdiscojer Member Posts: 533 Arc User
    daimon97 wrote: »
    szerontzur wrote: »

Yup I use it but ppl told me that Disco Shield and Core, Comp Engines and Colony def is a META now is that true?

Yes

Because why do you really need on demand mobility in the game? Personally I use disco engines and a spire core (along with disco shield and colony deflector)

The disco shield is the main thing, though.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    At this moment I'm using Revolutionary Core and Shield, Competitive Engines, and Bajoran Deflector.

I've used Revolutionary Core and Deflector, Competitive Engines, and Discovery Shields.

I've used the full Revolutionary Set.

And I have used Discovery Core and Shields, Bajoran Deflector, and Competitive Engines.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,946 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    Discovery 2 Piece or Competitive 2 Piece

Both 2 piece sets work great - Discovery shields & core for hull cap/regen (tank) or Competitive engines & shield for crits. Both do well with the Colony intervention deflector for even more crits. The same deflector is working nicely for me in mixed directed energy weapon/science builds.

The Competitive engines either Fortified (hull or shield heal trigger) or Innervated (tac firing mode trigger) are great for getting around a map faster. Most people seem to find the fortified engines to be a more predictable speed boost but you can move around very quickly with the right ship using the innervated.

As with Itminns' post above there certainly are other combos that work great especially fitting in 2 pieces of the Revolutionary set for science exotic damage CrtD or even the full set.

Have a look at this recent thread as well for some good suggestions.
    Thank you so much
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    As far as the 'meta' goes.. yes, generally speaking for an energy weapon build you would run the Competitive Engines (always run these,) The Colony Deflector, and the Discovery Core and Shields.

They give a slight edge over the Competitive 2pc, but it's honestly not something that you HAVE to do. If you already have the fully upgraded 2pc Competitive you can stick with it, it's still great.. I still use this combo on a couple of my characters. Both sets are really.. really good. Overall, the Discovery set has an advantage because you get the debuff to enemy shields and with the 2pc, that +120% Hull Regen is really nice. Especially if you run the Trait: Tyler's Duality. If you're running the Disco 2pc slot that trait. :wink:
    Insert witty signature line here.
    As far as the 'meta' goes.. yes, generally speaking for an energy weapon build you would run the Competitive Engines (always run these,) The Colony Deflector, and the Discovery Core and Shields.

They give a slight edge over the Competitive 2pc, but it's honestly not something that you HAVE to do. If you already have the fully upgraded 2pc Competitive you can stick with it, it's still great.. I still use this combo on a couple of my characters. Both sets are really.. really good. Overall, the Discovery set has an advantage because you get the debuff to enemy shields and with the 2pc, that +120% Hull Regen is really nice. Especially if you run the Trait: Tyler's Duality. If you're running the Disco 2pc slot that trait. :wink:

Thanks Sea, I suppose I will upgrade the 2 disco and see for myself thanks a lot
  • spacehermitspacehermit Member Posts: 355 Arc User

What does that mean in English? Just curious.
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,946 Arc User
    It's a comparison of the relative merits of the Competitive reputation space set (2 piece - engines & shields) versus the Discovery reputation space set (2 piece - warp core & shields).
    edited November 2020

What does that mean in English? Just curious.

'Meta' is an abbreviation for 'Most Effective Tactics Available.'

When someone asks for the 'Meta' they are asking what is the generally accepted 'best' of something. The OP is asking what is the generally accepted best 2pc set between the Competitive Wargames set and the Staments-Tilly Set from the Discovery Reputation and we are trying to answer that question.

Hope that helps.
  • spacehermitspacehermit Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    Hope that helps.

Yes it did. Thanks. Sometimes an old git like me gets lost in the sea of abbreviations and acronyms!
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    Hope that helps.

Yes it did. Thanks. Sometimes an old git like me gets lost in the sea of abbreviations and acronyms!

Na, you are surely not the only one. :)

What makes it a bit difficult is this very place where abbreviation is even needed for self-protection you know!

Terms like...
    Most Effective Tactics Available
    and especially...
    generally accepted 'best'
    can literary ruin your STO forums career if it gets spotted by the wrong kind of people. :D
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
    can literary ruin your STO forums career if it gets spotted by the wrong kind of people. :D

Bring it on. :lol:
This discussion has been closed.