test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Skills invalid

13»

Comments

• lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    Seems I've been playing for over a week with invalid skills as I only noticed last night all my traits were unslotted. Once I reslotted the traits my toon seemed weirdly OP so I glanced at the skills and saw they were invalid again. I think I'll just leave them as-is for now.

So....all my other toons I didn't respect after the first occurrence of this issue get a second free respec token ?
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • starcruiser#3423 starcruiser Member Posts: 1,184 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    Seems I've been playing for over a week with invalid skills as I only noticed last night all my traits were unslotted. Once I reslotted the traits my toon seemed weirdly OP so I glanced at the skills and saw they were invalid again. I think I'll just leave them as-is for now.

So....all my other toons I didn't respect after the first occurrence of this issue get a second free respec token ?

It happened to me as well. I'm not talking about the second invalid notice but a new one after they redid the new Loadout.

Sorry to say that this inept from Cryptic's side. These keep resetting themselves. No mention of a fix in the patch either.
  • starcruiser#3423 starcruiser Member Posts: 1,184 Arc User
    lordmalak1 wrote: »

It happened to me as well. I'm not talking about the second invalid notice but a new one after they redid the new Loadout.

Sorry to say that this inept from Cryptic's side. These keep resetting themselves. No mention of a fix in the patch either.

I found the possible solution for it in reddit:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/jwxho9/traits_not_staying_equipped/

I guess you have to hit "save" now in every instance you have a ship.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,100 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Forget it...according to Som, not bothering to tell your players in the patch note that they need to do something because you broke it is perfectly normal industry standard. Not once...but TWICE mind you. Perfectly normal...I don't know what industry he is talking about because it isn't software development...but perfectly normal industry standard. And it's okay...because he does the same TRIBBLE thing at his job. So it's all normal.
    I never said anything about not including it in the patch notes. I actually agree they should have both times.

Why do you feel the need to blatantly lie about such things instead of sticking to the truth?

I guess he does it for the same reason that you feel the need to defend CRYPTIC'S POOR DESIGN DECISIONS AND QA PROCEDURES at every opportunity yourself.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    So what happens if you don't fix them and they stay invalid? It doesn't seem to affect my characters at all.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    Again? Realy?

Sorry to say this, but this is outrageously and incomprehensible. Stop, full stop, finish!

I am on the edge of maximum toons (54) - this is of course my fault and I'm solely to blame - but this unnecessary and untiringly invalidating of the skilltree is a absolute no go.

Neither it is comprehensible from my point of view (as an actual Developer) why you cannnot simply transfer the old skill tree to a new system (and offer a free reset if you want to give the user an oppertunity) nor is it a very smart move to annoy all your customers with every single update.

Neither it is comprehensible from my point of view (as someone who spent half her life as a system admin). You start each user upgrade with collecting all current skill settings; then you change/update the system, and restore the Traits/skills to their original slots, at the end. Imagine a router firmware upgrade, without the ability to retain its current settings (or at least a way to back them up and restore). And yes, even when new slots were created in the meantime. Last time that failed, was with the first BIOS-es of early eighties XT computers: every other programmer since has grasped the notion that you could label these settings (in whatever kind of associative array of your choice), and restore their settings afterwards, even if new settings had been introduced. Even shipyards, for the longest time, were programmed like a regular array: aka, discharge a ship, and every ship underneath would have been shifted (so as to break them all).

And why? Laziness. And contempt towards the userbase. There's not a programmer in the world who doesn't know that what I said above is true. But they look at this in terms of 'What can we get away with?' And they're always counting on Cryptic defenders coming out of the woodworks, saying stuff like "Oh, but your skills couldn't be retained, because they changed the system."

Same happened with the loadouts: all existing Traits get wiped when you pick an old loadout. All of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again.

EDIT: Few typos
    Post edited by meimeitoo on
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    All of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again.

So say we all!
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    All of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again.

So say we all!

Wrong franchise, Sea! :P

Seriously now: yep. It will continue to happen and they will continue to "forget" to warn us in advance.
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    The first time was an embarrassing oversight. Can happen (although far too often with STO IMO). Doubling down of this... @meimeitoo said it best: Contempt.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Today, I switched out of my Legendary Intrepid T6X to a Fleet Titan T6X. Even though that Character had Skills Invalid listed (was the only Character I Respecd after the initial Skills change a few weeks ago) NO Skills unslotted. I only had to slot the T6X Starship Mastery. I assume it is because that is Ship dependant.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
This discussion has been closed.