test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Account-wide ship slots (or even drydock spaces)?

sovereign010sovereign010 Member Posts: 636 Arc User
With the release of these new ships competing for space in the ever-more crowded rosters, isn't it past time that buyable account-wide ship slots became a thing? Those of us with a dozen characters (or more) are not going to be making repeat Zen purchases of ship slots for each of our characters, but would be very much interested in slots that would be applied account-wide. Assuming a reasonable price, wouldn't that be a win-win for all?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    Economics wise... I hate to say it but not really. While it would be a win for players, and would indeed be a short term boost in sales... long term it loses them sales from those same players on the same thing. There is a hard cap on ship slots, and once you hit that, there's no adding more unless Cryptic does something. If you were able to get account wide ship slots... it would apply not only to your current characters, but any future characters you make. You just hard capped how much you can make from selling ship slots per account to the max you can get on one character. And considering I think the max character slots is somewhere around 50? Yea... that is a lot of lost revenue in the long run.

PITA I know... but... business is business. I'm just glad we have what we have as account unlocks.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • sovereign010sovereign010 Member Posts: 636 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    From that perspective it sounds like it would only benefit Cryptic if they raised the cap on how many ship slots you could buy for that very same reason.

EDIT: Of course, offering something that would also benefit future characters might also tempt more players into buying extra character slots if it makes building those future characters easier.
    Post edited by sovereign010 on
  • darpendragondarpendragon Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    From that perspective it sounds like it would only benefit Cryptic if they raised the cap on how many ship slots you could buy for that very same reason.

The reason for the cap is because of database storage on the servers. The more inventory spaces, which include ship slots, bank spaces, ect, the more storage is required. More storage means more servers. More servers mean they would need more money to maintain them.
  • lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    Considering they made the elite starter pack that was account wide to elite services pack that char claim instead(those who had the old can still reclaim on new chars) I doubt they will even consider it. In general account wide things are good for us and bad for their profit margin
  • bcstarbcstar Member Posts: 333 Arc User
    My plan is once I am done with a ships mastery its gone to make way for a ship i have not mastered yet... the 10 slots i have in dry dock seems to be enough so far. but once those ships are all mastered it will free more room up. ill be honest when I fly a ship I only intend it to be 1 and done. The Rest will just be for Admiralty and traits.
    klingon%2Bbird%2Bof%2Bprey.jpg

"bortaS bIr jablu'DI' reH QaQqu' nay'"

Revenge is a Dish, Best Served Cold ~ Khan Noonien Singh
This discussion has been closed.