test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ten Forward Weekly 11/18/20

somtaawkharsomtaawkhar Member Posts: 10,222 Arc User
  • Kael isn't allowed to talk about anything that is happening Friday
  • Was always the plan to put the Luna, and another upcoming ship he can't talk about, in the Zen store
  • There are plans to add the 32c ships from Discovery. Kael's not sure when that would be, ship schedule for the rest of this year, and the first half of next year, already full
  • More information next year about the Titan trait, and it working for Klingons
  • Would probably add the Lower Decks, and pre-Picard uniforms, before adding the 32c uniforms
  • The Titan has an experimental weapon slot. Jett's wording suggests its only active in tactical mode
  • More ships being released this year then last year due to being able to work with more outsourced teams
  • Titan console is usable on any ship, but will be stuck in science mode for any non-science destroyers
  • Talks about Discovery holo-BOFFs being made more available
  • T6x ship coupons for console in January
  • Kael doesn't think there will be any new factions any time soon
  • May not have to wait that long for a new recruitment event
  • Next story update will be in Jan for the anniversary update
  • Don't think they will do Lower Decks style ships with Lower Decks style graphics
  • Andre Emmerson is a lot more in the "yeah we can talk about that" camp compared to Ricossa
  • One of the game designers got the game to run on his Switch this last week(no actual planned Switch port)
  • Probably no plans for a level cap increase any time soon. Not really a driver for players(they tend to like stuff more then levels)
  • J.G. is always happy to play Martok
  • New event campaign next year. Prizes Andre is talking about are "exciting"
  • Looking into more TFO events with a different TFO every day, or more available TFOs that are related, so it isn't as boring playing the same thing every day(This is something straight from Andre Emmerson)
  • Next year similar to this year in terms of content output(each update having 1-3 new missions, a new TFO, with events in between)
  • Lots of QoL updates in the works
  • More info on ways to earn T6x tokens next year
  • When asked about how much life is left in the game Kael mentions that STO is coming up on 11 years, and these last several have been some of, if not the, most financially successful in STO's history, so.... awhile. Kael says he thinks the game has at least another 5 years in it in his opinion
  • New sets will likely come in lobi store, or events like Widening Gyre, since they aren't doing featured episodes
  • Kael talks about engines, how every game at Cryptic uses the same engine, but have different features because of each of them getting updates under the hood over time. In a hypothetical STO 2 it would likely use the same engine, just upgraded
  • More info on the winter event soon
  • Not sure why aliens don't have tail options, might change in the future
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Thanks for these notes, somtaawkhar. This is always appreciated. Sometimes I actually watch the livestreams eventually, but this helps enable discussion about the stuff they talk about even for people that don't.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    What’s happening Friday?
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    khan5000 wrote: »
    What’s happening Friday?

Guess we just play the waiting game and find out. I like surprises. :)

Like Picard said, "Patience..........patience."
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,951 Arc User
    One of the game designers got the game to run on his Switch this last week
    This is encouraging. Many newer mobile devices such as cel phones have processors powerful enough to easily run a laptop.
    STO is coming up on 11 years, and these last several have been some of, if not the, most financially successful in STO's history
    If the addition of console gaming has contributed to these positive numbers a mobile version of STO could very well be a recipe for future success and longevity looking forward.
  • lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    khan5000 wrote: »
    What’s happening Friday?

Not sure but it happens that Friday the friendly QA Lead guy has a stream too.

My guess is they could give some early info on the upcoming winter event? but it is quite early, so I am not sure

I watched the stream and it might be their Black Friday sale will start Friday
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    black friday is NEXT friday, though, and the sale for that will probably start next tuesday (because they won't patch on thursday because thanksgiving), whereas the implication is whatever kael can't talk about is THIS friday...which is tomorrow, so whatever it is we won't have to wait long on​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
    Good to see that they're able to make more ships, faster. Though at some point they'll need to add more than just new ships to keep things interesting. That's why I'm disappointed that we're not getting any new factions soon. Or some new gameplay mode.
    Probably no plans for a level cap increase any time soon. Not really a driver for players(they tend to like stuff more then levels)

If they made levels more significant and levelling about more than just collecting XP, I think a level increase could be interesting. It'd have to come with some interesting stuff though, not just unlocking clicky systems like reputations, a stat boost or unlocking a trait slot.

Unfortunately that's exactly what levelling is about these days - just some annoying phase you have to go through before you can actually start playing the game.

More info on ways to earn T6x tokens next year

Great, but it'd be even better if they were made permanently available through the Phoenix store.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
    New event campaign next year. Prizes Andre is talking about are "exciting"
    Looking into more TFO events with a different TFO every day, or more available TFOs that are related, so it isn't as boring playing the same thing every day(This is something straight from Andre Emmerson)
    New sets will likely come in lobi store, or events like Widening Gyre, since they aren't doing featured episodes

Not sure what to think of this. Exciting prizes, great. More super long campaigns? Ugh.

If they're at least going to allow players to choose what they want to play for such a campaign, it could be less annoying. In its current form, it's not a good idea.

Sets should remain episode rewards though. Engines, shields, deflectors and so on and their often unique bonuses (and the Widening Gyre set is truly unique in that it mixes energy boosts with exotic ones), need to be available at all times. You can't expect players to know in advance whether they'll ever use something and thus have them collect a set even if they may never use it in the end.

Or, if that isn't done, at least give some clarity regarding the Phoenix store's status and tell us if and (approx.) when new event rewards will be added.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
    I watched the stream and it might be their Black Friday sale will start Friday > @shadowfang240 said:
    > black friday is NEXT friday, though, and the sale for that will probably start next tuesday (because they won't patch on thursday because thanksgiving), whereas the implication is whatever kael can't talk about is THIS friday...which is tomorrow, so whatever it is we won't have to wait long on​​

They just announced their Black Friday sale
    Your pain runs deep.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    black friday is NEXT friday, though, and the sale for that will probably start next tuesday (because they won't patch on thursday because thanksgiving), whereas the implication is whatever kael can't talk about is THIS friday...which is tomorrow, so whatever it is we won't have to wait long on​​

Just announced, it's the black friday sale.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    reyan01 wrote: »
    • Was always the plan to put the Luna, and another upcoming ship he can't talk about, in the Zen store

:/

Ambassador class without a doubt.

We already have that one, the T6 Narendra.

• smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    On the back of the Lower Decks DVD box, there is a NEW ship shown, looking like an Andromeda class with a Ambassador looking Saucer.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • jim625jim625 Member Posts: 907 Arc User
    [*] Talks about Discovery holo-BOFFs being made more available

I hope they will become account wide unlock soon beginning to regret making a new toon

• peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited November 2020

Was he refering to friday as in black friday there or did he mean last friday or next friday by any chance?
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,635 Arc User
    edited November 2020

Was he refering to friday as in black friday there or did he mean last friday or next friday by any chance?

Friday before last, actually: https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11480813-black-friday:-the-final-frontier Black Friday was started early this year online for a lot of retailers and such, so Cryptic seems to have gotten on that bandwagon and started Black Friday a week early.
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    Maybe they will do a T6 Starcruiser or Tempest.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    tom61sto wrote: »

Friday before last, actually: https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11480813-black-friday:-the-final-frontier Black Friday was started early this year online for a lot of retailers and such, so Cryptic seems to have gotten on that bandwagon and started Black Friday a week early.

Oh thank you. Found the whole Black friday thingie this year to be rather a disapointment. But nothing new here that Kael ends up hypeing nothing so alls cool. :)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
This discussion has been closed.