test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So forgive me on this but I need to know what some Forum Lingo means.

bcstarbcstar Member Posts: 333 Arc User
ok so one word I am seeing time and time again but cant quite nail what it means is TRIBBLE? could someone be so kind to explain? Also if there is other neat or interesting lingo that isn't against the TOS I would like to hear some good examples. Thanks!
klingon%2Bbird%2Bof%2Bprey.jpg

"bortaS bIr jablu'DI' reH QaQqu' nay'"

Revenge is a Dish, Best Served Cold ~ Khan Noonien Singh
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    its the forums way of cencoring "bad" words, it turns them to "TRIBBLE"
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,844 Arc User
    and some of us just use TRIBBLE as a word to express displeasure, without typing the censored words
    Spock.jpg

• starangel1980starangel1980 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    bcstar, they could be referring to the "Tribble" test shard. It's the STO test server where people transfer their toons to try out and help test upcoming content. You can read more here: https://support.arcgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/360018039234-Star-Trek-Online-Test-Server
  • bcstarbcstar Member Posts: 333 Arc User
    oh haha I didn't know that they used that to Sensor words. L m a o!! for the longest time I was like ok it means this... wait a minute that cant be right....

and as it concerns the test server that might as well be the case. I just see it often and couldn't figure it out.
    klingon%2Bbird%2Bof%2Bprey.jpg

"bortaS bIr jablu'DI' reH QaQqu' nay'"

Revenge is a Dish, Best Served Cold ~ Khan Noonien Singh
  • lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    bcstar wrote: »
    oh haha I didn't know that they used that to Sensor words. L m a o!! for the longest time I was like ok it means this... wait a minute that cant be right....

and as it concerns the test server that might as well be the case. I just see it often and couldn't figure it out.

When they released the DSC Constitution and D7 there was some guy that was really mad and made a post where you could see "TRIBBLE" more than 10 times in his post. By the way you can understand its the censoring and not referring to someone else cause it is in capital letters

• foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    It would be nice if you could turn it off. Censorship is silly.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    lordmerc22 wrote: »
    By the way you can understand its the censoring and not referring to someone else cause it is in capital letters

Yup. TRIBBLE usually is a censored word. Tribble could refer to tribbles or the Tribble Test Server.
    BTW... there are some weird words on the censor list too. I can understand the profanities, but some words we use every day are also censored. Also...
    @foxrockssocks might want to screenshot your current post count. Its 1701. ;)
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Best thing to do to bypass this sh*t is replace one character with an asterisk. Then we know what you really mean. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    or just do what The Good Place did and replace profanity and other 'verboten' words with similar ones that aren't​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    That a fracken good idea.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    or just do what The Good Place did and replace profanity and other 'verboten' words with similar ones that aren't​​

Holy shirt!, thats a great idea!
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
This discussion has been closed.