test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

QoL update ideas

somtaawkharsomtaawkhar Member Posts: 10,222 Arc User
Given that we recently got two of the most requested QoL updates filled, what with traits being added to loadouts, and reputation active powers being separated into ground and space, I think its time we make a new list of QoL updates we would like to see.

My big three are
  • A dedicated EV suit slot, so we don't have to constantly switch back and forth between normal armors and EV suits.
  • Specializations being added to loadouts, and separate ground and space specialization choices.
  • A vanity shield/non-combat pet storage inventory tab, or some sort of reclaim store where you can reclaim any unlocked vanity shield/non-combat pet for free.

Other, more minor(for me) QoL updates I would like
  • An armada mail system.
  • Item deltas to show stat differences between two items.
  • Making all the fleet holdings able to transport you to all other fleet holdings, so you don't have to play hop scotch using the starbase, and going through all those load screens.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• bcstarbcstar Member Posts: 333 Arc User
    Wish we could borrow Elite Dangerous Galaxy map with 400 billion stars, to explore with our ships... but i doubt it could ever be implemented.. :(
    klingon%2Bbird%2Bof%2Bprey.jpg

"bortaS bIr jablu'DI' reH QaQqu' nay'"

Revenge is a Dish, Best Served Cold ~ Khan Noonien Singh
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    It would also be nice if mass mail sent via the fleet button is marked with the name of the fleet it was sent in, most fleet spokespeople seem to think that everyone only has one fleet, and that is definitely not the case with altaholics like me so it is often hard to tell which fleet the announcements are for.

Another good thing would be the ability to copy text from the mail to make translation easier since not all of them use English as their announcement language (though a "translate" button of some sort would work just as well).
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    Pet tab. Either in the bank or inventory or both.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    Not quite sure if it falls in that category but I want them a weapon slot in addition to shield, deflector, engine for changing looks of ships. This way we can make them fire one color. I wouldnt even mind if the color changing item would be monetized as long as its not some huge price. Elite Dangerous has the ability to buy color for your beams
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    lordmerc22 wrote: »
    Not quite sure if it falls in that category but I want them a weapon slot in addition to shield, deflector, engine for changing looks of ships. This way we can make them fire one color. I wouldnt even mind if the color changing item would be monetized as long as its not some huge price. Elite Dangerous has the ability to buy color for your beams

The devs mentioned in a recent stream that the way weapon visuals are setup would take a lot of work to recode to allow for a vanity weapon slot. It's not impossible, but it would be a huge undertaking and they don't know that it would be worth the time investment to get it done. Same thing with alternative beaming and warp animations (this was the original question a viewer asked, and they mentioned the weapons in their response).
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png

The devs mentioned in a recent stream that the way weapon visuals are setup would take a lot of work to recode to allow for a vanity weapon slot. It's not impossible, but it would be a huge undertaking and they don't know that it would be worth the time investment to get it done. Same thing with alternative beaming and warp animations (this was the original question a viewer asked, and they mentioned the weapons in their response).

Yes at this point maybe they dont want to do anything time consuming change for an almost 11 year old game, especially if they know things we dont know and they plan either STO 2 or just a remastering of STO(more likely). That said if they had non-account wide beam color items in the store at a fair price I am sure their investment would pay off for years to come.
    Yes at this point maybe they dont want to do anything time consuming change for an almost 11 year old game, especially if they know things we dont know and they plan either STO 2 or just a remastering of STO(more likely). That said if they had non-account wide beam color items in the store at a fair price I am sure their investment would pay off for years to come.
    Given the number of large systems changes/new systems we have seen in the last two years, its less of them not wanting to do it, and more of them not thinking it will pay off to do it.

The problem with weapon visuals, as they described, is that weapon visuals are not tied to the items themselves. They are instead tied to the effect attached to the item. Which makes it more complex to overwrite compared to something like shield or engine visuals.

I also doubt an STO 2, or a "remastering" of STO are likely. The first is FCT territory, so I won't go there, and the latter isn't something that is likely either. Any updates to STO to make it better will come in the same way we got changes to things like the lighting system, or animation system. Just as normal updates.

It seems their engine is quite stressed at the moment and they already had to lower max people per instance so its very likely they will have at some point rewrite the engine which does qualify as a remaster. Then again we are a few years off probably before they have to address it
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,844 Arc User
    a QoL update where I don't have to respec every 3rd week
    Spock.jpg

• evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Here's a QoL change I'd really like: a way to very quickly delete all the garbage gear from a new ship.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    The map thing is hampered by the fact that they cannot actually do "space" as something separate. The engine was designed with the idea of superheroes flying around a city and entering buildings or parked helicopters/jets/whatever as a signal to spin up an instance of an interior or remote location. Usually those things work sort of like Russian nesting dolls but there is no easy way to tell.

And mechanically that is exactly what you are doing in sector space. It is not an unlimited vector coordinate system calling up artifacts as needed like EVE and most of the newer long range explorer-enabled games do, it is a big relatively fixed "room" with 3D wallpaper of stars with the "cartography" graphic as a layer on the "floor" exactly the same as doing a city but with different images (or textures as they are usually called). The engine pushed the envelope for its time and has held up remarkably well but it has definite limits.

And has been pointed out many times, swapping out the engine a game runs on is as very close to the effort and expense of making a whole new game, which makes it out of the question though they can and have made incremental adjustments to improve things piecemeal and will most likely continue to do so.

Here's a QoL change I'd really like: a way to very quickly delete all the garbage gear from a new ship.

One way to do that might be to dump it all in a sort of overflow were you could pick out any items you want to keep and dump the rest.
  • bcstarbcstar Member Posts: 333 Arc User
    This is all interesting on how the mapping works, thanks for the information regarding it. However I do like the idea of a Stellar Cartography room, i wonder if it were to be possible to tie this into a type of doff mission enhancement where we send X doffs to do missions for us in sector space. yeah its not the same as actually going there. but if you dive deep into the doff system. the story's are quite interesting even though the rewards could use a bit of a upgrade Lol.

Also to add to QoL change... Get rid of gearing for our Bridge officers. Loy!
    klingon%2Bbird%2Bof%2Bprey.jpg

"bortaS bIr jablu'DI' reH QaQqu' nay'"

Revenge is a Dish, Best Served Cold ~ Khan Noonien Singh
This discussion has been closed.