test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Klingon Lockdown ?

norpeimipsinorpeimipsi Member Posts: 7 Arc User
I have read a discussion short time ago , that many of the Klingone side are frustrated , that there are NO legendary ships for Klingon players ( Fed has 11 legendary ships ) , so many are thinking to leave the game .

Today , Friday primetime with Corvid 19 , in our armada with 3500 players , only 9 players where online at whole Armada !!!
Go to sectorspace in any quadrant , and mostly there is nothing to read in chat . Years ago people have discussed every time you go online .

Making new ship is OK , but please make the ships for all factions ; same work & more profit for PWE , and more blessed players for free .
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,844 Arc User
    and as I said in another thread, it all boils down to dollars. you will sell far more ships that are Enterprise than you will of any other kind. not that many are out there pretending they are Kor Kang and the Romulan Commander as there are wannabe Picard Kirks and Janeways.
    Spock.jpg

• howtorhowtor Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    and as I said in another thread, it all boils down to dollars. you will sell far more ships that are Enterprise than you will of any other kind. not that many are out there pretending they are Kor Kang and the Romulan Commander as there are wannabe Picard Kirks and Janeways.

I agree to a point, but you also have to admit that a big part of the problem is majority of the new stuff is federation focused which also causes the imbalance of purchase powers. (been that way for years) If all the good ships are one faction with no balce on the others it will naturally draw more sales.

• darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator
    Legendary KDF ships have been all but confirmed short of an official blog at this point. It's going to happen but it takes time. I know folks don't like hearing that but it's the truth. Also there are more Federation ships in canon than there are KDF, Romulan, Dominion or other ship types. That's just the way it is. Beyond the canon ships they have to make it up or acquire the rights to a ship from elsewhere. Folks also need to understand that Cryptic is a business and since the shows are told from a mostly Federation perspective, that's going to be a huge draw to Fed side for players. It doesn't mean they hate KDF or Romulans etc, it simply means they're going to cater a bit more to what makes them the most cash.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    Yes We got remember that TOS had 1, (pre-09) Movies had 2, TNG had 2 and ENT had 2(possibly 3) canon designs (excluding designs already used in previous series/Movies by DS9 and VOY have 0, I'm also ignoring rescales as it's not always certain if they were meant to be a new design) KDF designs that 100% confirmed to be "real" LD has 1 but where not sure if that's real or something made up and most DSC designs are in game anyway. That's 9 canon designs in total, excluding rescaled BoPs that are of questionable canonicity and also excluding the DSC.

Romulans have it even worse with 2 designs (one which is actually a klingon one) in TOS, 2 designs in the (pre-09) movies, 1(possibly 3) in TNG, 0 in DS9 or VOY and 1 in ENT, bringing it into a grand total of 8 and unlike klingons there's no rescales there.

Even if consider the different versions of the Connie to be 1 design and include only ships that had semi-signifigant screen time, TOS had 1, movies had 4, TNG 3 (at the very least), DS9 had at least 1, VOY had 3 and ENT had 3 (if we include only Starfleet designs). That 15 designs and I'm forgetting or ignoring loads due just how many UFP designs there were. For example I'm ignoring the Raven, also including only the Akira from the TNG era movies and ignoring DSC, PIC and LD totally for this part of the list.

The fact of the matter is that most canon Klingon and Romulan ships are in game already and if Cryptic wants to add new ships to those factions they have design them from scratch.
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    Legendary KDF ships have been all but confirmed short of an official blog at this point. It's going to happen but it takes time. I know folks don't like hearing that but it's the truth. Also there are more Federation ships in canon than there are KDF, Romulan, Dominion or other ship types. That's just the way it is. Beyond the canon ships they have to make it up or acquire the rights to a ship from elsewhere. Folks also need to understand that Cryptic is a business and since the shows are told from a mostly Federation perspective, that's going to be a huge draw to Fed side for players. It doesn't mean they hate KDF or Romulans etc, it simply means they're going to cater a bit more to what makes them the most cash.

"A bit"... yeah. "A bit"... "A bit" that created a cycle:
    - Feds gets more, because "the shows are told from a mostly Federation perspective", (newsflash: SW has always been shown mostly from the Rebellion/Republic/Jedi perspective, yet you don't see SWTOR neglecting their Imperial playerbase because of that now, do you?);
    - Content for every other faction/subfaction is scarse (ships), or not really inclusive (any and all cross-faction storyline, if played with anything but a Federation character, will make you feel like a damn lapdog because there's not an ounce ackwnoledgment for your faction/subfaction);
    - Feds draws even more attention because people want content and they have it;
    - "The numbers don't justify us making this for this faction, because we've got a business to run";
    - Feds gets more;
    - Rinse and repeat.

I say this as a player of both factions: I realize that having equality would be impossible - we all know why and those that still insist that it's doable are lying to themselves, I'm afraid - but a bit more balance wouldn't hurt.
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    I got to agree there. I play SWTOR a lot and they face same challenge but non force users, not just sith, get a lot of attention too. STO is the only game that wasnt able to keep a good balance when having several sides and races/classes. My stand on this is simply if you think you cant support a class, race or faction dont release them at all.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    I just want to point out that TOR was set 3000 years before any known canon events. The only thing we knew for sure was that the Republic existed. They had total freedom. The only things they had to reference was KoTOR. They didn't have to worry about the Clone Wars or Galactic Civil War, and pretty much would have no impact on those events due to being so far behind them than it wouldn't matter.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

The idea STO hasn't had a lot of focus on Klingons and romulans throughout its narratives is BS.

Nice strawman

The issue isn't the narratives, the issue is ships.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    Saving Romulus was the big plan to win the Iconian War.
    We literally have a mission showing saving Romulus makes things even worse, because we trade the Iconians for a few more centuries for the Borg and it was just a bonus when the simulation sounded promising. And besides, because of the predestination paradox, Romulus is doomed anyway.
    Romulan factions, and characters, have been the center of more/missions arcs then pretty much any other group in STO's narrative.
    And since the end of the Iconian War which was tied to them for obvious reasons, they have become more and more irrelevant to the next plots.
    Klingons were the leads in the Iconian War, Tzenkethi conflict, and the current Klingon Civil War, arcs.
    And we were getting curbstomped with no significant progress until Starfleet Captain Nog found the Krenim.
    Apart from Martok and Kurn leading strike forces, it's Kuumarke who was the most helpful during the Tzenkethi conflict due to her knowledge of protomatter.
    Klingons got to the big big damn heroes in the Hur'q arc, being the ones who helped tipped the balance against the Hur'q.
    lol, nope. We were getting our rumps kicked until Dukan'Rex saved the day with the help of Bashir and Garak. Martok just managed to help with stalling a bit longer until a solution was found.
    Klingons are getting a whole year of updates unlike any other faction has gotten.
    DSC & TOS mini-factions, Fed missions remasters and mostly Fed-aligned canon characters being retconned into the story: "Are we jokes to you?!"
    Even in more faction neutral stories like Delta Rising, Klingons and Romulans get their own mission contacts.
    OK, now that's scraping the bottom of the barrel.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Borrowing from Neverwinter - Legendary, ha. KDF needs Mythic Ship!! .
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    T

So meditate on this fact and say over and over, "There are no factions, there is only the Alliance"

Except that is not the case, not when they consistently release ships that only "blue" team can use.....

• varethaelvarethael Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    The problem is that people still think we have different factions in this game. We don't. We have origin stories. Even the KDF is an origin story because after a point, we continue leveling as a Klingon doing the same missions as we would playing a Federation character.

The only defining mechanic in terms of factions that continue to apply in STO has to do with a Red Team and a Blue Team, and that really only matters in terms of PvP, though so many mechanics are tied to it. But the current narrative of STO has NOTHING to do with PvP or a war between a red or blue team. But Cryptic does not have the man-hours available to dedicate to transitioning the game to the single Alliance faction everyone's origin story ends up leading to.

The UFP is the blue team
    The KDF is the Red Team
    The Romulan Republic is part of either red or blue team depending on player choice.
    The 23rd Century Federation rolls into the Blue Team automatically upon completion of the 23C-Fed storyline
    The Jem'hadar work like the Romulans and require choosing Red or Blue.
    The Discovery era character, like the TOS era character, automatically rolls into the Blue Team...

What needs to happen is for the Blue and Red team to roll into the Purple team and never be thought of as Blue or Red again.

Narratively speaking, we're all one big happy fleet. Systemically speaking, we're still divided and with PVP no longer even a consideration in Cryptic's eyes, the division is artificial and pointless.

Narratively speaking, there are no more Federtion or Klingon or Romulan ships. There are Alliance ships. So give us an Alliance material skin for all ships regardless of origin story. Hell... Let us kitbash our own. Either way, we need to stop thinking in terms of This faction gets more than that faction, and Cryptic needs to push the all in one faction narrative on a systemic level as well.

But they won't. They're Cryptic. It would make sense and therefore would be too hard for them to do.

So meditate on this fact and say over and over, "There are no factions, there is only the Alliance"

Fully agree with that, especially the last part about sense and logic ;).
  • captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    howtor wrote: »

I agree to a point, but you also have to admit that a big part of the problem is majority of the new stuff is federation focused which also causes the imbalance of purchase powers. (been that way for years) If all the good ships are one faction with no balce on the others it will naturally draw more sales.

That is pretty much it in a nutshell. Cryptic (possibly based upon what they are allowed to offer within the licence) created the imbalance, but always choose to pretend that it's player based. This is a ridiculous idea!

If the two sides that can be allied with, Federation or Empire, had been treated equally; they would have data to base their current lopsided argument on. As is, they do not!

I have one legendary ship that came with their advance a romulan bundle. I honestly could not believe that many were willing to shell out the money that the ten ship bundle cost? But to each, his own.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    All this deflection, and goalpost moving.
    https://tenor.com/blnB5.gif
    You're the one keeping derailing threads, moving goalposts and ignoring parts of posts that inconvenience you and this is starting to get grating.
    And where was the mission for the Feds and KDF where altering their history would provide some positive benefit to the Iconian War? Ohh wait, there wasn't one.
    What does this even have to do with your original claim that "Saving Romulus was the big plan to win the Iconian War." I merely pointed out it wasn't. Absolutely nothing about the Federation and KDF.
    Nog didn't find the Krenim, it was the Alliance(whose forces were being led by a Klingon) who found the rumors of the Krenim. Nog just showed up to use his dad's influence on Qwen.
    It was Nog who discovered the Krenim rumors were true and made contact with them first. Replay the mission.
    Except the Romulans have been featured heavily post Iconian War with missions like "Survivor", and "Core of the Matter", as well as, once again, being the center of politics during "The Temporal Front".
    3 missions, wow, such massive content. And "Survivor" is mostly about fixing a long-lasting temporal anomaly caused by a Starfleet officer and Sela getting closure over her mother in the process.
    Core of the Matter happens in the past and focuses on the Na'khul TRIBBLE the timeline up with the Romulans as pawns.
    The Temporal Front is about forming a stronger alliance and the Romulans just provide the place. Most of it is focused on the assassination attempt on Okeg (and J'mpok, sorta, since it's barely brought up again, he doesn't even mention it in his debriefing and it's used as a distraction). D'Tan, Obisek or even Jarok aren't even considered targets. Then, the rest of the mission happens in the future with Walker and you against Vosk's troops.

That's like saying the Iconians are heavily featured in Surface Tension because M'tara shows up and kills the council. Ignoring most of the action is about and against the Undine, with M'Tara just showing up in the last cutscene just to spoil the party. She isn't even responsible for the cease-fire since the Federation and KDF were going for it anyway before she arrived. She just provided a very solid argument to any potential naysayer about this truce.
    Being the most helpful =/= being the only one in focus. It was Martok and Kurn at Gon'Cra, Brushfire, Tzenkethi Front, Gravity Kills, etc. etc.
    2 Klingons operating while J'mpok was all "well, if you find some fools for this crusade, go ahead, but you won't get assistance from me" until Martok got the idea to use the "Call for Gondor Beacon".
    Your attempts to discredit the Klingon's involvement is almost as dishonorable as the Klingons themselves.
    And here we go again with the insults, stop embarrassing yourself.
    Especially jarring since I specifically pointed out he was responsible for stalling long enough to have the cure found.
    None of the things you listed were part of anything like YoK.
    True, they got more, like a recruitment event for TOS, several new ships with various skins and different tiers, new FX and weapons and new replay bonuses which benefited all characters on an account.
    Not to mention, there are only two Fed arcs that have gotten remastered. Those being the Klingon War arc, and the Romulan Mystery arc. [...] whereas the Klingons got their tutorial, and four whole arcs, remastered in less time then it took to remaster ONE Federation arc. So yeah, Klingons have gotten the much better deal here.
    Feds got their tutorial revamped too. Several times, in fact, to add Nog and Quark in its latest update.
    And the Klingons don't have 4 arcs anymore.
    They have 3, including 1 that wasn't revamped outside of some VA and a better-looking Kahless before the YoK.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I just want to point out that TOR was set 3000 years before any known canon events. The only thing we knew for sure was that the Republic existed. They had total freedom. The only things they had to reference was KoTOR. They didn't have to worry about the Clone Wars or Galactic Civil War, and pretty much would have no impact on those events due to being so far behind them than it wouldn't matter.

And STO is set after everything else we've seen, so they don't have to worry about anything that would come AFTER.
    Not to mention that the entire point is MOOT, because SWTOR - like KotOR and KotOR 2 - was never canon.
    Same as STO isn't.

And how is taking into account that "no, I'm not playing this as a federation/federation aligned character" impacting anything but player immersion?!
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • norpeimipsinorpeimipsi Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    Its clear , that STO is a business for Cryptic , bat the point that you sell that more schips of FED side is , that you PREFERE Fed that much and other Sides are accepted but not realy wanted .
    If you make balanc between all sides , then you also sell more ships fotm Kli/Rom/Dom .

for ex:
    if i sell only food made out of meat , its no wonder that vegetables are not asked in thet shop !

OK , its more work for Cryptic to make 1 Ship with 4 models aroun , then only one . But my question : Why have you ever made more playable classes in STO ?
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator
    Okay folks I think this bears repeating. Cryptic has already defined what Year of Klingon means. Year of Klingon means we are getting a year long story focused on the Klingons. It also means we are getting revamps of older KDF content and some improvements over there. It is NOT now, nor has it ever been about the ships. Ships are just icing on the cake. This also does NOT mean there will be a dead stop to anything that isn't Klingon.

Like it or not, Trek has always been Fed centered and Fed focused. Klingons do get attention in the shows, but not to the degree the Feds do. There are also far more canon sources for Federation ships than there are Klingon ships. If Cryptic wants to create Klingon ships, they have to make them up largely after they've ran out of canon sources. Same thing goes for Romulans and everyone else. Until Trek itself decides to do a story focusing on Klingons to give us more Klingon content, it will always be Feds taking the lead.

I know folks don't want to hear that, but that's the truth of how things are at this time. I wouldn't mind seeing more KDF ships either, but for that to happen they either have to make it up at this point, or new canon sources have to be introduced. Cryptic again is also a business at the end of the day. If KDF ships don't sell that well, then they're not going to make as many KDF ships as they are federation. That's just basic business. Yeah it sucks if you like Klingon stuff, but it is what it is.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    This isn't anything new. The KDF side is always complaining about something. It's generally a legit complaint, but cryptic don't care because the small amount of players on the KDF side don't fork over enough money for flashy new ships.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    many of the Klingone side are frustrated , that there are NO legendary ships for Klingon players

While they didn't outright confirm it due to it being too early to announce, Kael and Bort said on stream yesterday that hypothetically if they were to release a Klingon Legendary bundle it would be when all the YoK updates are complete, so that players would have a fully remastered mission experience to play through with those Legendary ships.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    Okay folks I think this bears repeating. Cryptic has already defined what Year of Klingon means. Year of Klingon means we are getting a year long story focused on the Klingons. It also means we are getting revamps of older KDF content and some improvements over there. It is NOT now, nor has it ever been about the ships. Ships are just icing on the cake. This also does NOT mean there will be a dead stop to anything that isn't Klingon.

Like it or not, Trek has always been Fed centered and Fed focused. Klingons do get attention in the shows, but not to the degree the Feds do. There are also far more canon sources for Federation ships than there are Klingon ships. If Cryptic wants to create Klingon ships, they have to make them up largely after they've ran out of canon sources. Same thing goes for Romulans and everyone else. Until Trek itself decides to do a story focusing on Klingons to give us more Klingon content, it will always be Feds taking the lead.

I know folks don't want to hear that, but that's the truth of how things are at this time. I wouldn't mind seeing more KDF ships either, but for that to happen they either have to make it up at this point, or new canon sources have to be introduced. Cryptic again is also a business at the end of the day. If KDF ships don't sell that well, then they're not going to make as many KDF ships as they are federation. That's just basic business. Yeah it sucks if you like Klingon stuff, but it is what it is.

We are NOT getting revamps, we are getting cut content.

I was actualy hopeful till they butchered the assault on mars mission. All they did was cut the mission size to make it shorter, less detailed and less enjoyable.

YoK is TRIBBLE quite frankly. It's not year of the klingon, it's just a new storyline that involves klingons.

• oliverrogerr#5018 oliverrogerr Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    I imagine they are keeping the announcement of a Klingon bundle with 10 legendary ships for the 11th anniversary of the game in January ... it is the most logical date to make this announcement in the "year" of the Klingons
  • tasshenatasshena Member Posts: 525 Arc User

I was actualy hopeful till they butchered the assault on mars mission. All they did was cut the mission size to make it shorter, less detailed and less enjoyable.

YoK is TRIBBLE quite frankly. It's not year of the klingon, it's just a new storyline that involves klingons.

And how many missions exactly were totally removed yet, with the claim two years prior that they will 'come back in some form at a later date'?

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Story_Arc:_Klingon_War/Removed_missions​​
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited November 2020

The Federation side got the same cutting and streamlining about a year or two ago, and it was even worse on the cutting, they eliminated several iconic and well-liked plot lines such as the whole Spectres arc. So it is not like they are viciously chopping away Klingon content out of some sort of prejudice against it or whatever.
This discussion has been closed.