test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Legendary Discovery Captain Bundle your thoughts?

Comments

• foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    I think they are still trying to figure out how to price these one offs, honestly. The T'liss didn't sell well is my guess, while the Gal X was extremely popular, and far cheaper. Now they are trying that 12k again despite this ship being not a fan favorite and the bundle offering little of value, which makes me think they think people didn't buy the T'liss because it wasn't a Fed ship.
  • lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    I think they are still trying to figure out how to price these one offs, honestly. The T'liss didn't sell well is my guess, while the Gal X was extremely popular, and far cheaper. Now they are trying that 12k again despite this ship being not a fan favorite and the bundle offering little of value, which makes me think they think people didn't buy the T'liss because it wasn't a Fed ship.

Its hard to price something when they dont play the game too. The QA people out of necessity, since its their job, play the game. They could have asked their opinion to get an "internal poll". People within Cryptic absolutely do not seem to know how fast it is to lvl to 65 but how slow it is to get reps to 6, traits, spec points etc. I think because Emerson compared, on livestreams, many things to WoW, he thinks its like the WoW boost but WoW boost gave you a full compliment of quality starter equipment for example. Same went for Everquest 2.
  • captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    Bundle here .... bundle there ..... bundle, bundle .... everywhere!
  • saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,224 Arc User

The Legendary T'liss has one point for it - it is a cross-faction ship.
    It is also the only one legendary ship on my account - until I save enough Zen to have reserve for the 10-ship fed bundle, then I will look at any other ships... looks like I will have to wait some time. :/
  • starcruiser#3423 starcruiser Member Posts: 1,184 Arc User
    One word....MEDIOCRE

I will pass as it is ridiculously expensive for just one ship and smaller shinies. Leveling up a character in this game is real simple and no need to spend an arm or a leg on it either.
  • zeven2004zeven2004 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    westmetals wrote: »
    I wish / hope the ship is available separately. I do not want to start another new character (I plan to never start any more unless there's a recruiting event I haven't done), so the character boost to level 65 is worthless to me.

Same (though the ship IS made available for all your chars on your account). I just made this disco character last week, and if I cannot use these officers because I got this character to 65 "too soon," I am going to be a bit disappointed. I'm wondering if you can use the pack on an a character that is already 65, since I really do not care about the level boost.
  • zeven2004zeven2004 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    "This level-up process is designed to be usable for characters of any level."

Does "any level" include 65?
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,100 Arc User
    My thought:

$90 (the ship is worth $30) for a 'Raise to Lvl 65' token...

Not worth it at all. leveling in this game is not difficult to do quickly at all.

But others may feel differently.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • spacehermitspacehermit Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    >

In Cryptic's other game, Neverwinter, Epic is below Legendary. The top tier is Mythic.

Is "mythic" even a word? Mythical, surely?
  • grodgrod Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Since I detest gamble boxes and bind to character I've made an effort to buy all of this year's bundles to support moving away from gamble & BTC. Legendary fed, t'liss, mirror dread. That's a painful but IMO worthwhile ~$300 worth of zen spent this year.

But this 'bundle' is a bridge too far, especially with boffs bound to the boosted character. There's a limit of how little value I'll accept for the money (and we're talking at 50% off, not the Mudd's pricing). Sorry, Cryptic, but no sale this time.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    > @spacehermit said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Is "mythic" even a word? Mythical, surely?

myth·ic
    /ˈmiTHik/
    adjective
    relating to or resembling myth.
    "we explain spiritual forces in mythic language"
    exaggerated or idealized.
    "he was a national hero of mythic proportions"

It is if you're Cryptic. It does rhyme don't you know.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • livinlifejb90#4082 livinlifejb90 Member Posts: 218 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    disappointed in the "limited" availability where as the legendary romulan bundle is available permanently. sucks. who ever is running the monetization department needs to be fired. because they do not know how to market. STO must be on its last legs since everything has turned to cash grabbing.
    gQytlm7.jpg
  • eladonwarps#6040 eladonwarps Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    Yeah, the price point is still a turn off because of how much value they're clearly putting into the Max Level token. So although I've bought some of the Legendaries and other bundles, this one's another pass. Ship does look good, but I can do without.

Now, if they gave me a token to SLOW DOWN my levelling so I could enjoy the story more and spend more time in the T1-4 ships, I'd pay for that. But I'm sure I'm in the minority for such a feature.
    Call me "El," she/her only. I love my wife and I don't care who knows it!
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    The Walker was a Lobi Ship so would never have a chance to be a 3k Zen Ship.

The T'Liss Legendary also contained a Character Level Boost and is the same price. If that didn't sell well, then why this?

In LOTRO their boost is to 120 (max Level is 130), but gives you the max Level of Trait Points for a 120 Level Character (92 of 96). Reputations are not given.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    > @eladonwarps#6040 said:
    > Now, if they gave me a token to SLOW DOWN my levelling so I could enjoy the story more and spend more time in the T1-4 ships, I'd pay for that. But I'm sure I'm in the minority for such a feature.

Yea.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    The T'liss was worth it because the ToS skin was from, arguably, one of the best Star Trek episodes and that Romulan warbird profile is iconic plus it gave so many people fangasms when it showed up in Picard.

The Walker class? You never really got a good view of it before it was blown up. They screwed themselves over as the Legendary Glen is part of the super expensive 10th mega bundle so they wouldn't/couldn't use that.
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    I know it will be denied but I'm beginning to wonder, since Cryptic's unwillingness of re-running recruitment events, if Cryptic is pondering entwining such a recruitment event character gimmick into a bundle like this. I'd bet they've already considered it at least given their aggresive marketing.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    I think of this package the same as all the other legendary packages, they look nice but are too expensive to seriously consider getting. They are whale toys.
  • jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    Other than the fact that it's a ship I don't have in any form and my completionist genes are screaming at me to get it, the pack isn't overly appealing to me at $60. I could talk myself into the last one because the price was low enough compared to a T6 fleet ship to justify (plus being able to slap I.S.S. on all my ships put it over the top), but an auto level to 65 is pretty much useless, especially without a slot to build a new toon in. The holo boffs are interesting, but if they suck like most of the ones that they hand out, they don't add any value - maybe they will all be Uhuras, which might change my mind, but I am not counting on it. Outlook does not look good for a buy on this one.

Why can't holo boffs include something really special like the Attack Pattern Worf 1 from the mission where's he's in your crew?
  • fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    Holding out for the right bundle to be offered :)
  • sveinn#8157 sveinn Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    I mean honestly folks, does anyone else feel like this whole "Year of the Klingon" thing was more of a "throw spakle at Klingon stuff and call it good year" and kinda walk away? I feel like they keep releasing money traps for feds, dropping a nod to Romies every now and then but, Klingon's are getting pretty much the "meh" treatment on these package releases and ship drops etc. and when they get something, it looks like a Gorn trash hauler. Would be nice to see something that didn't look like an upset toaster oven for a change.
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    Cryptic boxed themselves into a corner with those Reputation to T5 items for 3k Zen. To have them max this new Discovery Character to T5 in all Reputations would be 'valued' at 39k Zen.

Level 65 is Mk XV territory, UR items would be more appropriate.

1 Million EC? Where have they been, they give out close to that in daily Endeavor Rewards.

That Reputations T1-5 buy-out pricing Cryptic did was the best laugh the game had gave me in a long time. But excellent option for the pure-wallet warrior whales.
    reyan01 wrote: »

I, for one, am glad they're at least trying.

I mean, whilst Bundles may not be to everyone's tastes and whilst not necessarily overly popular (depending on content and how delivered) I suspect these bundles are slightly more popular than so-called 'gambleboxes'. And one aspect of this that cannot be argued against is that bundles do at least flat-out guarantee you get what you paid for.

I'm glad too for Cryptic's efforts too even if I disagree with them &/or think they missed the mark, when thinking outside one's own reach it is good to remember what is good for one might not be good for another & vice versa.
    My thought:

$90 (the ship is worth $30) for a 'Raise to Lvl 65' token...

Not worth it at all. leveling in this game is not difficult to do quickly at all.

But others may feel differently.

Precisely!
    jaturnley wrote: »
    Other than the fact that it's a ship I don't have in any form and my completionist genes are screaming at me to get it, the pack isn't overly appealing to me at $60. I could talk myself into the last one because the price was low enough compared to a T6 fleet ship to justify (plus being able to slap I.S.S. on all my ships put it over the top), but an auto level to 65 is pretty much useless, especially without a slot to build a new toon in. The holo boffs are interesting, but if they suck like most of the ones that they hand out, they don't add any value - maybe they will all be Uhuras, which might change my mind, but I am not counting on it. Outlook does not look good for a buy on this one.

Why can't holo boffs include something really special like the Attack Pattern Worf 1 from the mission where's he's in your crew?

I too have always thought that, in-game "special" abilities" could be implemented & add some more uniqueness to certain BOFFs. I think that was the "Sphere of Influence" tail-end of the mission with the Obelisk Carrier. I remember always wanting that Ambassador-class "special" phasers too from the "Temporal Ambassador" mission.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User

The T'Liss Legendary also contained a Character Level Boost and is the same price. If that didn't sell well, then why this?

If I have to guess.. which I do because I don't work for Cryptic.. I would say that they are trying to find out if the Romulan Legendary Pack didn't sell because the price point, or because the content was not desirable. They are trying another bundle at the same price point with slightly different content to see if it sells.

If the Walker pack sells, then they will blame the fact that the old pack was Romulan and use it as an excuse to continue to do what they said they wouldn't do and completely abandon the Romulan Faction. If neither pack sells (likely outcome) then they will either experiment with throwing in more useless garbage or possibly discounting the pack.

Meanwhile, it seems they already got it right once with the Mirror Dread Pack which seemed very popular. If they want to cash in, they should consider that the pricing standard for single ship Legendary releases. 6k Normal price, 4500 Zen intro price is very fair for these bundles in my opinion. That is why I actually bought the Mirror pack.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User

If I have to guess.. which I do because I don't work for Cryptic.. I would say that they are trying to find out if the Romulan Legendary Pack didn't sell because the price point, or because the content was not desirable. They are trying another bundle at the same price point with slightly different content to see if it sells.

If the Walker pack sells, then they will blame the fact that the old pack was Romulan and use it as an excuse to continue to do what they said they wouldn't do and completely abandon the Romulan Faction. If neither pack sells (likely outcome) then they will either experiment with throwing in more useless garbage or possibly discounting the pack.

Meanwhile, it seems they already got it right once with the Mirror Dread Pack which seemed very popular. If they want to cash in, they should consider that the pricing standard for single ship Legendary releases. 6k Normal price, 4500 Zen intro price is very fair for these bundles in my opinion. That is why I actually bought the Mirror pack.

Perhaps it just wasn't the right ships. Scimitar's sell! I would also buy a Legendary Romulan D7 bundle or even the Legendary Tal'Shiar ships.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    jcsww wrote: »

Perhaps it just wasn't the right ships. Scimitar's sell! I would also buy a Legendary Romulan D7 bundle or even the Legendary Tal'Shiar ships.

It was a combination of not the right ship and bad value for the money. Romulan ships sell, the Developers just simply don't want to make them. It's easier for them to just crank out fed ships so they will find any reason they can to justify doing exactly that. They put out a less then desirable ship for an insane price, then when no one buys it they can claim 'Romulan ships don't sell.' A lot of players would be interested in Legendary Romulan ships if they were an actual value for the money.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • qqqqiiqqqqii Member Posts: 473 Arc User
    Nope. 3000 for the ship, and a bunch of trivial crud for the other 3000/9000. Not ever.
This discussion has been closed.