test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What exactly is exotic damage?

snowwolf#0563 snowwolf Member Posts: 1,018 Arc User
Hi,

Is there any list somewhere with what actually is classified as exotic damage? From my understanding on the STO Wiki it seems that the damage type is used for whatever doesn't fit well into another category?

For example is the Molecular Cohesion Nullifier Field (the universal console) exotic damage? Someone also told me tractor beams are considered exotic damage? But I thought they just did kinetic and shield drain.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Exotic damage isn't a damage type, it is a damage source, like energy weapons or projectile weapons. Most damage is from one of those three sources. Some things play a little loose with that, or have some damage coming from one source and some from another, but I think it is best to think of it like that. Some things like the gravimetric torpedo have multiple sources, where the torpedo impact itself is a projectile source, but the rift it may spawn is exotic.

Gravity well is the most well known exotic damage dealer, but it deals kinetic damage. Very cold in space is another very good exotic damage dealer, and does cold damage, but both are exotic sources of damage. The Nausicaan energy torpedo does disruptor damage, and so do disruptor beams, but the torpedo is a projectile source while beams are energy sources of damage. Kemocite laced weaponry, while it does radiation explosions, is not exotic, but if you realize it is directly delivered by weapon strikes, that may make it easier to understand.

So the general rule of thumb is that BOFF powers are exotic sources of damage, as are most consoles, usually anything not a direct result of an energy or projectile weapon.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    The general rule of thumb is: If it's not from a weapon, it's exotic.

There are a few exceptions, when weapons summon "exotic" effects, like Gravimetric Torpedoes produce gravity rifts or Plasma-Emission Torpedoes produce small clouds that inflict plasma damage to anyone entering it.

Exotic damage can still have damage types like kinetic, plasma, physical and the like. Kinetic is probably the most common one, but many temporal powers that deal damage inflict physical damage.

Shield drain however is drain, not damage.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    snowwolf#0563 snowwolf Member Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    Thank you both.

So in "most" cases, exotic damage is that done by my bridge officers, or for example an ability that can be triggered by having a 2 or 3 piece console set or other things like that?

I see, thanks again.

Not to get too much of track but, is it worth equipping the Temporally Shielded Datacore on a cruiser? I have a lot of abilities that are triggered from my console sets, as well as a few bridge officer powers.

For example the ability Quantum Destabilizing Beam is from a console set, and that's an exotic damage?

Oh! Another way to check is if it can be effected by Exotic Particle Generator under the "modified by" section on the Wiki, it "deals exotic damage?".. Sorry I'm such a newb. :smile:

• Options
    Thank you both.

So in "most" cases, exotic damage is that done by my bridge officers, or for example an ability that can be triggered by having a 2 or 3 piece console set or other things like that?

I see, thanks again.

Not to get too much of track but, is it worth equipping the Temporally Shielded Datacore on a cruiser? I have a lot of abilities that are triggered from my console sets, as well as a few bridge officer powers.

For example the ability Quantum Destabilizing Beam is from a console set, and that's an exotic damage?

Oh! Another way to check is if it can be effected by Exotic Particle Generator under the "modified by" section on the Wiki, it "deals exotic damage?".. Sorry I'm such a newb. :smile:

As with any console, its always a question of opportunity cost. There's no question a TSD will benefit your exotic damage abilities, but instead you could use an exotic particle field exciter which does more for your exotic damage, and can offer another likely more useful bonus, or you might be able to use say a universal phaser damage console in that slot which probably helps you more than either for a typical cruiser.

And yes, if the wiki explicitly says its affected by EPG skill, it is definitely an exotic damage source. The quantum destabilizing beam is one of those as you can see, despite it doing phaser damage.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    Would it be correct to say that "exotic damage" is all damage that isn't a direct result of weapons fire (as a rule of thumb at least).
  • Options
    section31agent#8506 section31agent Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    Question : Does exotic damage have diminishing returns? If so at what power level?
  • Options
    There is no diminishing returns afaik.
  • Options
    snowpiercer#1188 snowpiercer Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    I thought it was when a stripper stepped on your crotch with high heels.

And this would result in diminishing returns to the club.
  • Options
    sci321sci321 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    The simplest rule of thumb for what counts as exotic damage is, "Does it say it scales with the Exotic Particle Generator skill?"