test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Legendary Discovery Captain Bundle your thoughts?

Comments

• terranempire#7881 terranempire Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    I assume there is no discount for the suckers that already bought the Operations expansion for the "Georgiou" skin for their T6 lobi Walker that was "exclusive to this pack" It doesn't help that the bridge officers are bound and non-reclaimable either.

Not going to mention the useless lvl token BS that only exists to inflate the price beyond what it is worth. It should be 6,000 Zen by default.​​
    tumblr_p30rz12vWH1qdb2vqo6_r1_540.gif
    "Great men are not peacemakers, Great men are conquerors!" - Captain Archer"
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
    #Support Mirror Universe I.S.S. Prefixes
  • theantisainttheantisaint Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    I assume there is no discount for the suckers that already bought the Operations expansion for the "Georgiou" skin for their T6 lobi Walker that was "exclusive to this pack" It doesn't help that the bridge officers are bound and non-reclaimable either.

Not going to mention the useless lvl token BS that only exists to inflate the price beyond what it is worth. It should be 6,000 Zen by default.​​

They're pushing the boundaries...in the search of new revenue streams, and asking for a kidney in the process. Have to love the big sell...makes the inflated prices they settle on seem reasonable. Oh well, someone will buy it...and encourage them to continue with the price creep. I just hope the KDF bundle isn't retailed for $700, with a low, low sale price of just $500! I want those D7s/K't'ingas, but not that bad.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    Did i miss the Memo? Is everything legendary all of a sudden?
    This one does not entice me to pull out my wallet.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    Did i miss the Memo? Is everything legendary all of a sudden?
    This one does not entice me to pull out my wallet.

Seems that Cryptic is heading into a model releasing Ships of the Line packs at 6k normal price and Legendary ship packs 12k normal price, Correct me if wrong, last ship(s) released anyone could buy for 3k were support carriers if bought them seperately instead 4-pack, right?
  • alpharaider47#7707 alpharaider47 Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    A bummer that the officers are bind to character on pickup, perhaps they will drop that requirement in the future. Otherwise I'm quite on board with the pack for 6000 zen, 12k is a bit much...
    sFfAcbR.jpg
    STO Beta Test and Launch Veteran
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    lnblade wrote: »
    Once again, the STO ship devs created something that looks a lot better than whoever does ships for DSC. But for that price, this is a pass.

Also, it's disappointing that the Walker gets the legendary treatment, but the Excelsior is left to languish. The Excelsior is much more of a staple ship, and has appeared on screen in TV and movies across the franchise. IMO it's more deserving of a legendary conversion than the Walker is.

A Legendary Ambassador would be nice as well along with a Legendary Kamarag.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    jcsww wrote: »
    Once again, the STO ship devs created something that looks a lot better than whoever does ships for DSC. But for that price, this is a pass.

Also, it's disappointing that the Walker gets the legendary treatment, but the Excelsior is left to languish. The Excelsior is much more of a staple ship, and has appeared on screen in TV and movies across the franchise. IMO it's more deserving of a legendary conversion than the Walker is.

A Legendary Ambassador would be nice as well along with a Legendary Kamarag.

Legendary Enterprise-B, with the gimmick that it lacks 1 weapon on front and aft, 1 device, 1 console, 1 BOff station and locks you out of torpedoes... until you give it a (non-included, of course) T6-X upgrade that gives you a "Tuesday at last!" accolade and the missing stuff.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • oliverrogerr#5018 oliverrogerr Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    well, it's a shame it could be a more themed bundle of discovery, with all the ships in the legendary version, including Styx, and the Klingon ships (at least that way they would have some legendary ship ....)
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    When everything is Legendary, nothing is.

You'd have to introduce Muy Grande Legendario for the next iteration. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • lordkerdochlordkerdoch Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    lordmerc22 wrote: »
    Its what I fear they will make for KDF pack too, 1 ship or 2 max and 12k price legendary pack. Seems legendary bundles with 1 or 2 T6 ships at best and 12k are becoming the normal now

Please, like these copy/paste junkies will get to a KDF ship this year. What do you think it is, the year of klingons or something?
  • lordkerdochlordkerdoch Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    When everything is Legendary, nothing is.

You'd have to introduce Muy Grande Legendario for the next iteration. ;)

Epic Defiant
    Epic Constitution 1-10 variation, each $200 each.
    Epic T'Varo
    Epic Scimatar

where did you see that this bundle will have the 6 Photonic BOFFs? I read the whole package and didn't find this information
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    where did you see that this bundle will have the 6 Photonic BOFFs? I read the whole package and didn't find this information

you click the link: https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11480853?fbclid=IwAR0jqfxtSGYgaZuOsWSwmT9XNDC7YulRHf5Thz8hgOVhkWx6Hj_2R5fGuW4

scroll down & click on the "Level 65 Boost" golden emblem then read.

you click the link: https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11480853?fbclid=IwAR0jqfxtSGYgaZuOsWSwmT9XNDC7YulRHf5Thz8hgOVhkWx6Hj_2R5fGuW4

scroll down & click on the "Level 65 Boost" golden emblem then read.

thank u
    > @lordkerdoch said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Epic Defiant
    > Epic Constitution 1-10 variation, each $200 each.
    > ...
    > Epic T'Varo
    > Epic Scimatar

In Cryptic's other game, Neverwinter, Epic is below Legendary. The top tier is Mythic.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    Boosting you to 65 instantly is the worst idea they've had. Leveling a character is the most fun I have found in this game. My gamma recruit is the only one I've considered deleting to free up a slot.
  • trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    Being the year of the Klingon I wonder if that means keep grinding for a year so you can afford the Legendary Klingon stuff if it actually ever gets made lol.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    Yeah, I am not really getting it here.

The ships not terrible, but the level boost is what I don't understand. Getting from 1-65 is incredibly easy, you can do it in an afternoon without that much work at all. The pain isn't getting to level 65, that part is easy..
    I do not get it. What am I’m supposed to pay for here?

Leveling a character from 0 to 65 is nothing compared to the rest of progression curve awaiting you at end game. I mean all is just getting started there.

Will his spec trees be filled? His doff, admiralty and crafting systems maxed? Will he have an all epic space build and will all his reputations be done?

To be honest we are talkin 12k zen and I don’t see anything offered here for it.

See.. this is what I was about to post.. but you beat me to it. :smiley:

The part people want to skip is all those reputations, the specializations, crafting schools.. all that stuff and NONE of that is included. At least the Jem'Hadar Vanguards get 3 Rep schools maxed, this has a 'regular price' of 12k Zen and comes with NONE of that?

So far, the Legendary Mirror Dreadnought bundle was the only one that got me to bite. That bundle was 4500 Zen for a really good ship (seriously, the mirror dread is excellent) and a few account wide lobi items.. that seemed like a very fair deal and I went for that. This one during the promo is basically 6k Zen for 1 ship.. a good ship, just not great (I personally think the Mirror Dread is a better ship) and the easiest part of the level up experience completed. The Discovery Holographic Bridge Officers are cool.. I'll give it that.. but I don't see 6k Zen value here.. 12k is just outrageous.

Now, if they at least filled in all the reputations, that would be a little different conversation. That would at least save you the time of having to go out and get 1k of each mark and then leveling it up 1 day at a time for months. If you want to us to pay for a time savings, you're going to have to save us more then a couple hours. The level 1-65 climb is over before you even realized it started. :lol:
    But why is this a legendary ship before the Excelsior?

That is a great question!

Amen!

The Excelsior.. one of the greatest ships in the franchise is left as an outdated, underused heap.. while we get yet another Walker Variant? A ship that was in what? 2 Episodes? :lol:

Ridiculous.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • terlokiterloki Member Posts: 287 Arc User
    Heck, honestly if we're going by impact on Star Trek the MIRANDA deserves to be Legendary at least as much as the Walker. The Reliant? The Saratoga? All the expendable ships rescued by the Enterprise-D and/or sent to their destruction by Sisko? I'd call that more contribution than appearing in two episodes.
    Admiral Katrina Tokareva - U.S.S. Cosmos, Yorktown-class Star Cruiser
    Admiral Dananra Lekall - R.R.W. Teverresh, Deihu-class Warbird
    General J'Kar son of K'tsulan - I.K.S. Dlahath, Vo'devwl-class Carrier
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited November 2020

Now, if they at least filled in all the reputations, that would be a little different conversation. That would at least save you the time of having to go out and get 1k of each mark and then leveling it up 1 day at a time for months. If you want to us to pay for a time savings, you're going to have to save us more then a couple hours. The level 1-65 climb is over before you even realized it started. :lol:

Yea I think they really should have thrown in at least that rep completion thingy into the pack especially considering it has been made available recently. Would have been the break even point for the price they are asking, sort of.

Save to leave the whole thing out. Its alright you know because I’m certain we have some serious offers to consider with black Friday and Christmas around the corner.

If we get some good offers I might actually throw some money at STO again but I yea… I want something in return which we are not getting here at all. :)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
    reyan01 wrote: »
    I think we are all, again, looking at this with a very singular perspective.

Okay, this probably isn't overly attractive to many existing/long-term players.... but therein lay my point. Why are WE the only element of the playerbase Cryptic should be accomodating?

This bundle could well be a draw for new players. And lets not forget, Discovery is airing again, and possibly attracting new blood to both the franchise and the game. I don't think its a bad move at all for Cryptic to pop out bundles themed on the currently- running 'TV' show when said series may well be bringing people to the game.

Again, not being some Cryptic apologist here - anyone who even remotely knows me knows my deep displeasure of their lack of interest in doing anything with the Nova class and their general lack of interest in direct player feedback (via forums/social media etc) in favour of metrics, but NO game is all about pandering to the existing playerbase at the expense of ignoring potential new players.

This is a fair question.

For me personally, when I speak of the value of this pack yes.. I am speaking from my own perspective. I will admit that as long as I have played, the plight of the 'total newbie' is something I am pretty out of touch with.

There are a few problems here though even from the 'new player' perspective.

Firstly, the max level boost requires you to already have one max level character on your account. This precludes this from being beneficial to 'total newbies.' I understand the reasoning here, it's generally a bad idea to take someone that knows nothing about a game and skyrocket them to the top right away. This usually just leaves them with a max level character they have no idea how to play. This restriction tells me that this pack is actually aimed at players interested in advancing an Alt. Veteran players are usually the ones that want the 'instant level up' not newbies. I know for me personally, if I am starting a game for the first time, the last thing I want is to pay to not play it. :wink:

The other problem I have with this pack is value relative to other packs offered. Lets look at the scenario of a new player and take a look at something like the Legendary Mirror Dread bundle which was, in my opinion, when they got it right. That pack is cheaper on sale (4500 Zen) and comes with a nice ship that you can use to level up since it scales, with some cosmetic options as well. This is far more appealing (in my opinion) to a newbie because it lets them use their new 'shiny' while still learning the game and enjoying it's story line content.

This bundle strikes out because it's aimed at veterans with alts but doesn't give the veterans what they most want completed in their alts. The level doesn't matter, it's the rep, specialization, and crafting slogs that people want to avoid. That is my issue here and it's what makes adding a 'max level' boost feel like nothing but fluff designed to inflate the price.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    I wouldn't buy it, but its not for me in the first place.
    lordmerc22 wrote: »
    I dont underestimate their intelligence so I am sure they would know it would spring mixed or mostly negative reactions. I think they still done it cause maybe PWE pressures them for profit.
    I don't think they care because negative reactions on forums rarely translates into lost sales since the forums don't represent the common player.

I also doubt PWE has anything to do with it. They price it at this level because they believe that is what the value is, and if people buy it then it shows they agree. So they will keep pricing things at this value because the data shows people will buy it, regardless of what the forums say.

Defending scummy practices Cryptic does, no surprises here.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    I want a Lower Decks bundle.

Hahaha...good luck with that! It will either be a overpriced bundle or a R&D ship

Yeah, excellent point.

Still, if their aim is to attract new Discovery fans to the game I guess this might help.

I hope that it does.

While I have my issues with some directions that the game is headed, ultimately I am all for anything that helps keep it's population active.
    edited November 2020
    And to be honest, whilst I'll concede that the pack does lack some things that would make sense, as described in earlier posts, it does actually appeal to me. Reading some posts here, and on social media, I get the impression that I should feel bad for that though.

There is only one person qualified to tell you if this is a good value for you or not and that's you.

Yes, I am personally passing on this, but it doesn't fit my wants or my qualifications for value. That is just my own definition and is by no means any type of global standard. If you believe you will get an entertainment value that is appropriate for what you're spending then you should get it, anyone that thinks otherwise simply doesn't matter.

The Georgiou skin is indeed one of the best ones in the entire game. That is one thing that makes it a tempting pack for sure and considering it's normally only available in a 12k Zen pack, if it's something you really want then this absolutely the most affordable it will ever be.

Never let anyone tell you how to spend your own money. :smile:
  • jozen#9312 jozen Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    I think that this is further proof that this company has space sickness. $120USD for a skin and junk is appalling. There should be riots. This isn't even EFFORT. It's recycled.

I can get a brand new 2TB SSD for that price
    https://www.amazon.ca/Samsung-T7-Portable-SSD-MU-PC500T/dp/B0874YS2N7/ref=asc_df_B0874YS2N7/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=459784623723&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3545313911729951359&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9000877&hvtargid=pla-912959816040&psc=1
    Cryptic boxed themselves into a corner with those Reputation to T5 items for 3k Zen. To have them max this new Discovery Character to T5 in all Reputations would be 'valued' at 39k Zen.

Level 65 is Mk XV territory, UR items would be more appropriate.

1 Million EC? Where have they been, they give out close to that in daily Endeavor Rewards.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    This bundle could well be a draw for new players. And lets not forget, Discovery is airing again, and possibly attracting new blood to both the franchise and the game. I don't think its a bad move at all for Cryptic to pop out bundles themed on the currently- running 'TV' show when said series may well be bringing people to the game.

Discovery is airing again, but the Walker only showed once in the 2-part prologue and the Mirror Universe episodes, and right now, Discovery is set in the future.

And I doubt a single ship the price of an entire AAA game (2 once the discount is gone) would be what you'd call a draw for new players.

Also:
    Advance Immediately to Max Level!

Appearing as part of this bundle is a Max Level Boost which you can use to immediately set a character to max level. This powerful Boost is yours to use as you see fit, provided a few restrictions are met:

The character to be boosted must belong to the Discovery-Era Federation faction.
    The intended character must have completed (or skipped) the Tutorial.
    You must have at least one character on your account that has reached Level 65.
    It's clearly not intended for new players. Unless it's sending mixed messages.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    I think the level boost would had been more enticing if it included a reputation of choice being boosted to tier 6 - only one
This discussion has been closed.