test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Legendary Discovery Captain Bundle your thoughts?

doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    My thoughts are that 120€ for a single ship (the lvl 65 boost and the items associated with it are negligible) is an incredible hefty fee. Isn't that the cost of the big legendary bundle !?​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,224 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    Actually, I was more impressed with the Mirror Legendary - it is cheaper and the ship is more... well I'm not sure how to say it,
    but I more liked the mirror legendary ship.

The additional 6k Zen is from level-up token, but STO does not need such items, the standard progress is fast, and once you hit level 11 (if I remember correctly) you get acces to DOFF system, and don't need to do actual episodes for XP.
    Add to it XP bonuses, and even without trying, you can level up any toon pretty fast, without any level-up token.

For now I will not buy it, because I'm saving for Fed legendary bundle (that 10 ships) - hopefully I will have enough Zen on next anniversary :smile:

But if someone wants it, then more power to them, and hopefully - more fun too.

Edit:
    angrytarg wrote: »
    My thoughts are that 120€ for a single ship (the lvl 65 boost and the items associated with it are negligible) is an incredible hefty fee. Isn't that the cost of the big legendary bundle !?​​

No, the cost of 10-ship legendary Fed bundles is 30k / 45k Zen without any discounts, up to now max discount on them was 35% - so 19,5k / 29,3k Zen
  • pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    I was on board till I saw the price tag, even at 50 % off it isn't very accommodating of players who already own the walker (let alone players who already have the shenzhou skin as well), though its nice to have a tier 6 version (I believe the original locks to T4 max, right?)
    The boffs are quite cool, though substantially less so if they only available on a single character.
  • mez83mez83 Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    I'm just waiting for the inevitable "what happened to the year of the Klingon" posts
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    12k Zen? For what comes down to one single ship? :(
  • solidshark214solidshark214 Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    Good grief. I'm not surprised by this, but I am definitely shaking my head. Another Legendary bundle, and still only the one "normal" C-store release this year?

Yeah, that's not cool, Cryptic.
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    I would like the ship, but... I have a lock box Walker on one of my characters already. I definitely prefer account-wide options though. The Walker is an excellent ship (lock box version). This one does differ a little, having an extra Tac console and one less Eng console. The lock box version also has 2 Lt. Commander BO slots (Sci and Tac). Personally, I would say the lock box ship is still superior, but that only really matters to those who care about DPS, which would probably pass on both anyway.

Still practically nothing for the Year of the Klingon though. :P
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    szim wrote: »

6k with the introductory discount, which is much more reasonable imo for a ship and a boost.

though its nice to have a tier 6 version (I believe the original locks to T4 max, right?)

There's a T6 version in the Lobi store already.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • planerunner#8846 planerunner Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    This immense bundle will be available for the price of 12,000 Zen, with a special introductory offer of 50% OFF from November 12th to November 20th!

When I see how this is phrased: '12,000 Zen, with an introductory offer of 50% off' . . . or 6,000 Zen for this bundle. Would that be a correct reading? That would effectively be $60 for the ship and bundle (for 8 days).
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Yes, for those 8 days 6,000 Zen. Then until it goes on a Sale like that again, no one buys it.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • theantisainttheantisaint Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    🤦🏽‍♂️
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    szim wrote: »
    That's how it works now:
    -put one thing that did require a significant amount of work and time to be done
    -hugely inflate the price by adding a lot useless or barely important virtual consumables that just required a few code lines.

At the very VERY least, this bundle at least have 6 Boffs that could only be obtained via a convention. Still not worth the default price... even the discounted price for that matter.

Also, I see the T6 version is still using the "bridge below the saucer" layout with the addition of the "deflector not surrounded by armored sides" at the top.
    So while the original version already made evasive maneuvers incredibly dangerous for the bridge (as the show displayed when the Battle of the Binary Stars started), the T6 version now fully exposes the navigational deflector as well. Either lose the bridge or be unable to go to warp without being torn apart by space debris or use deflector abilities.

Oh and happy continuing Year of the Klingon!
    Here's the Legendary version of the ship whose science officer killed T'Kuvma, unifier of the Great Houses, complete with the holographic version of the crew that destroyed his Flagship and then stopped the Empire from winning the war.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    The Gal X was/is a far better deal. This is wildly overpriced, with way too much value on the level 65 boost, especially if its limited to a disco captain. The trait isn't that great either.

The ship itself seems fairly good, and I'm sure its a strong ship that will perform well. And, other than the nacelles, I think the Shenzou looks pretty good.

But why is this a legendary ship before the Excelsior? And yes, where is anything for the KDF wallet at this point?
  • lnbladelnblade Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    Once again, the STO ship devs created something that looks a lot better than whoever does ships for DSC. But for that price, this is a pass.

Also, it's disappointing that the Walker gets the legendary treatment, but the Excelsior is left to languish. The Excelsior is much more of a staple ship, and has appeared on screen in TV and movies across the franchise. IMO it's more deserving of a legendary conversion than the Walker is.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    At the very VERY least, this bundle at least have 6 Boffs that could only be obtained via a convention.

Those aren't account unlocked though, which reduces their value.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    Its what I fear they will make for KDF pack too, 1 ship or 2 max and 12k price legendary pack. Seems legendary bundles with 1 or 2 T6 ships at best and 12k are becoming the normal now
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    It's also untrue, to a certain point:
    Unlike the Jem’Hadar experience of starting the game at Level 60, players using this boost will still have the opportunity to assign their character’s skill points, specialization points, and traits, as well as equipping the provided gear, in whatever manner they like. The choices are yours to explore.

While yes, Jem'Hadar characters do start with some specializations already fulled out and cannot be reskilled, this whole sentence make it seems like a Jem'Hadar cannot reskill at all, change its trait or equip any other gear than what it already comes with.
    Which is incredibly misleading, especially for new players that may be thinking of starting one such character.
    Really, this is getting ridiculous on an entire new level now.
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    edited November 2020

That's a shame, I thought we'd moved away from character unlocks of stuff.
    I agree with the people saying they seriously overvalue the level skips, leveling is so straight forward and it doesn't take long to get a character equipped with decent gear really either.
    I never really get if these are for new or long time players as they often seem to contain a load of stuff long time players will have, but a high price for people just getting started.
  • darkwing228darkwing228 Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    I struggle to find this pack worth it at 6,000, let alone 12,000, seriously a level up to level 65 is not worth 3,000-6,000 Zen, seriously, you can get to that level just completing the first few sets of missions and maybe a couple of TFO's, it's not that hard to do. for about 1500 less than this thing at full price, you can get the discovery bundle that comes with so much more, I mean, it even comes with two klingon ships.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    At the very VERY least, this bundle at least have 6 Boffs that could only be obtained via a convention.

Yeah, hence why I didn't just say "at least", because it's still bloody expensive and the whole thing being character-bind-on-pickup is borderline insulting.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    Nice to see the feddy bears getting milked.

If you like Disco it's not too bad I guess.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    I want a Lower Decks bundle.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    I do not get it. What am I’m supposed to pay for here?

Leveling a character from 0 to 65 is nothing compared to the rest of progression curve awaiting you at end game. I mean all is just getting started there.

Will his spec trees be filled? His doff, admiralty and crafting systems maxed? Will he have an all epic space build and will all his reputations be done?

To be honest we are talkin 12k zen and I don’t see anything offered here for it.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
    I do not get it. What am I’m supposed to pay for here?

Leveling a character from 0 to 65 is nothing compared to the rest of progression curve awaiting you at end game. I mean all is just getting started there.

Will his spec trees be filled? His doff, admiralty and crafting systems maxed? Will he have an all epic space build and will all his reputations be done?

To be honest we are talkin 12k zen and I don’t see anything offered here for it.

Agreeing on that and it feels greedy, as is the Romulan pack for example and a few others along the way. I dont underestimate their intelligence so I am sure they would know it would spring mixed or mostly negative reactions. I think they still done it cause maybe PWE pressures them for profit. If the final price would be 6k and not the discounted then it would be more fair. That and they keep not releasing KDF ships other than the support carrier.

Again I dont think we are the target of this pack. They are more likely to convince new players with it that arent aware of the values of things on STO. I generally like the idea of packs(for all playable factions) but I think lately their pricing is very off. Not long ago the bundles in general were typically the best deals to get something. You paid a chunk upfront but the value-for-money was great. I cant say the same for most recent ones
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    I was on board till I saw the price tag, even at 50 % off it isn't very accommodating of players who already own the walker (let alone players who already have the shenzhou skin as well), though its nice to have a tier 6 version (I believe the original locks to T4 max, right?)
    The boffs are quite cool, though substantially less so if they only available on a single character.

I agree I think the price is steep for what it is offering, but as long as enough players buy it Cryptic will keep offering packs like this.

Usually my top 2 of reasons for not buying is Cryptic has ceased offering scaling discounts for already owning part of a pack & it just bugs me to buy the same thing twice.

The 5 Enhanced Upgrades should be Ultimate Upgrades at this price.

The 250k dilithium Reputation vouchers seem nice.

The 5 Specialization Qualifications seem nice too.

The Very Rare Mk XIV gear would be nice if it wasn't pre-selected as of what type, if I remember correctly.

Besides the ship, the 6 Photonic BOFFs seem cool & the best part, just not paying that price.

Slightly better/aggressive stats overall compared to the plain-Jane Walker & the new Shenzou-skin does look good imo.
    Starship Mastery Package (Battlecruiser)
    Absortive Plating (+Physical and Kinetic Damage Res)
    Enhanced Weapon Banks (+Critical Severity)
    Enhanced Plating (+Energy Damage Resistance)
    Armored Hull (+Max Hull Capacity)
    Vulcan Hello (Starship Trait)
    NEW:Time of Need (Account Unlocked Starship Trait)

By the way the ship has 2 traits like all Legendaries and does that:

while this trait is slotted, you'll have increased incoming healing based on the amount of health you've lost, and any Bridge Officer abilities that heal you also grant damage resistance.

So my guess is Cryptic pictured it more as a tanking ship?
    I wouldn't buy it, but its not for me in the first place.
    lordmerc22 wrote: »
    I dont underestimate their intelligence so I am sure they would know it would spring mixed or mostly negative reactions. I think they still done it cause maybe PWE pressures them for profit.
    I don't think they care because negative reactions on forums rarely translates into lost sales since the forums don't represent the common player.

I also doubt PWE has anything to do with it. They price it at this level because they believe that is what the value is, and if people buy it then it shows they agree. So they will keep pricing things at this value because the data shows people will buy it, regardless of what the forums say.

PWE and any "landlord" company wouldnt ask specific to place a ship in a pack for a specific amount of money but they can and probably do ask for certain amount of Profits placing pressure to find ways to increase their overall income. I also agree that if enough people buy it at this price we will see more and more at this price in the future. Feels like that price range is becoming quite common

reyan01 wrote: »
    lordmerc22 wrote: »
    Starship Mastery Package (Battlecruiser)
    Absortive Plating (+Physical and Kinetic Damage Res)
    Enhanced Weapon Banks (+Critical Severity)
    Enhanced Plating (+Energy Damage Resistance)
    Armored Hull (+Max Hull Capacity)
    Vulcan Hello (Starship Trait)
    NEW:Time of Need (Account Unlocked Starship Trait)

By the way the ship has 2 traits like all Legendaries and does that:

while this trait is slotted, you'll have increased incoming healing based on the amount of health you've lost, and any Bridge Officer abilities that heal you also grant damage resistance.

So my guess is Cryptic pictured it more as a tanking ship?

Makes sense since the Lobi version is. Heck, the Obfuscation Screen console from the Lobi version is basically the ultimate 'Oh ****!' console.

I see, visually the ship, especially on the original skin seems decent. I dont have a lot of Fed ships since I only got 3 Federation toons but if it wasnt so pricey maybe I would consider it as I like tanking ships
  • sveinn#8157 sveinn Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    My thought is... we've been sitting in "Year of the Klingon" yet we haven't seen a single Legendary Klingon ship, big marketing to-do about Klingon stuff outside the set and a few random tidbits, or even something stand out-ish. Yes, they made a few changes but, relativity meh compared to Fed stuff they've been cranking out. Would be nice to see a set of unique Legendary Klingon ships, or a unique , ground set with a highly modifiable costume unlock.
This discussion has been closed.