test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Those old starships

flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
Specifically the Federation Constitution and the Klingon D7/Warbird (whichever it's known to you as - typically the battle cruiser).

In any case, we've got three of each, and they're not compatible with each other? Why on Earth not?

The TOS Connie is compatible with the Vesper, Exeter, Excalibur. But the JJ-Connie isn't, and neither is the Disco-Connie when it's practically the same ship and should be one of the easiest to merge. It's not as if the concept is asking for a Galaxy Saucer on a Miranda Class to then equip it with Sovereign-style nacelles.

The same point is raised for the TOS D7, the D7 as it appeared in season 2 of Disco, and the Klingon Warbird as it appeared in the JJ Universe.

Seems like a vastly missed opportunity??
attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    Not an expert on the different d7 version but as far as C/K/Donnies are concerned they have largely different sizes. In a way it is exactly like asking to merge galaxy, miranda and sovereign. Their parts would not fit.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • solidshark214solidshark214 Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    I'm not entirely sure about the Disco Connie--though I think this applies to that ship, as well--but the Kelvin version is quite a bit larger than the TOS. Likewise other variants of the D7 are bigger than TOS. We're not just talking about differing parts, they just don't fit based on scale.
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    I'm not sure why the TOS connie, the kelvin Connie should be compatible with each other since they're from 2 different parallel timelines, but the TOS and disco commies should since they're from the same timeline.

The D7 otoh is a ship in production for hundreds of years in the TOS timeline, and has grown during production. The D7 and K'Tinga are similar in appearance and designation, tho aren't the same ship. The Romulans even had early D7's tho the game denies they ever existed.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    flash525 wrote: »

The TOS Connie is compatible with the Vesper, Exeter, Excalibur. But the JJ-Connie isn't, and neither is the Disco-Connie when it's practically the same ship

Wait.. what?

You really think that the Kelvin Timeline Enterprise and the TOS Enterprise are 'practically the same ship?' Even the TOS and Discovery Enterprise are obviously very different from one another. Even throwing out their blindingly obvious differences, they're completely different sizes as well.

They're obviously different ships.. I don't think most people are surprised that these don't share skins. Not sure what you have your graphics set to but if these ships look 'practically the same' to you might want to visit an optometrist. :lol:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    The reason that you can't mix and match is fairly $imple, so $imple in fact that I $imply won't say.

The Kelvin is a different beast, but the Discovery and regular should provide inter-compatibility. Was there major expansion/contraction between 2257 and 2265? Right now we don't know if the Discovery Constitution is of the 207 or 429 crew variety. All I know is that the Discovery Constitution went through some sort of refit between the very very end on Discovery Season 1 and the end of Season 2.

A novel concept is scaling. I'm not sure anyone has ever heard of it.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    when it's practically the same ship

In STO-terms, they're *three distinct* types of "model-kits", each with their own parts.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    If you think the Connies are bad, look at the BOPs on the KDF side. Pretty much none of them are intercompatible, which is sad because there are some interesting designs in there you never see any more because they aren't compatible with the Kor.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,500 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    In the shows the three Constitution class ships are completely different. Three different sizes, three different aesthetics, even three different design roles. I am using real-world battleships for comparison both because Roddenberry always considered it a battleship though NBC had hissyfits about the word so they danced around it and called the ship anything but, and also the fact that the operational styles of the first two fit the classic difference between old-school battleships and dreadnaught style battleships.

The TOS version is a heavily armored ship who's armaments' are built entirely around the most powerful phasers (and torpedoes) available at the time with few or no secondary guns (in other words the dreadnaught arrangement), and used the entire output of the impulse stack to power them in combat so they were seriously crippled when trying to fight at impulse.

Its real world equivalent (according to some of Roddenberrys comments though he never actually named the class directly) is the Iowa class fast battleships that were so much in the news in the 1960s because the Joint Chiefs wanted to use them in the Vietnam conflict and Congress didn't want to spend the money to take them out of mothballs. Like most other things in that series it was a sort of allegory.

The Kelvin version is a bit unfocused and seems more exploration based instead of an old warship turned to that purpose like the TOS one is. Besides the radically different size and style the technology was totally unabashedly different and apparently used a form of transwarp if you go by the visuals and the description of its operation in dialog where a ship in warp is all alone and cannot be reached by other ships (which of course the dread following them proved was actually possible using the right techniques and tech, much like the Borg cubes chasing Voyager in Endgame).

The Kelvin ship was thin-skinned depending entirely on its shields for protection as shown in the blowout scene instead of armored, and its weapons were a mix of many smaller (and apparently partially self powered) guns used to produce a steady hail of fire like a "traditional" pre-dreadnaught style battleship instead of the massive burst damage the TOS one was was designed for.

Also, it was perfectly comfortable fighting at impulse (and in fact was not designed for combat in warp at all) so Journey to Babel and Elaan of Troyius would have not have gone down anything like they did in TOS since sabotaging the warp drives would have had little or no effect on the ship's combat capabilities.

The Discovery version is in some ways closer but in others is the most radical departure from the original. It is between the sizes of the TOS and Kelvin ships, though somewhat closer to the TOS one.

It is also thin-skinned (though maybe not quite as much) and therefore depends more on its shields and structural integrity fields like the Kelvin one. Also like the Kelvin ship it uses smaller mixed weapons in a hail-of-fire manner though its main guns seem to have more power relative to the secondary batteries than the Kelvin one. The power source of the weapons is not specified as far as I know of, but like the Kelvin ship it is apparently not the impulse stacks since the ship is obviously not designed to fight in warp so it needs the impulse power to maneuver instead.

The most radical change is that the DSC version is a hybrid carrier like the realworld Admiral Kuznetsov carrier/missile cruiser ships or the old HMS Furious and carries at least two fighter wings according to the battle chatter in Such Sweet Sorrow. The fighters probably give it a reach similar to the TOS ship though in a sting-the-enemy-to-death way instead of the sledgehammer burstiness of the TOS ship's main guns.

Since the "mirror Defiant" was never in the series as anything but a wireframe illustration it is impossible to glean much information about it.

• smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,661 Arc User

Since the "mirror Defiant" was never in the series as anything but a wireframe illustration it is impossible to glean much information about it.
    There was, back in 2004, a fan design called "TIBERIUS" that Empror Kirk used, looked ALMOST like this ,but had a big giant phaser lance in the front, 2 weapons ports on the back of the saucer, and the engine pylons were short.

And "TIBERIUS" in big red letters.

dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    Not an expert on the different d7 version but as far as C/K/Donnies are concerned they have largely different sizes.
    I'm not entirely sure about the Disco Connie--though I think this applies to that ship, as well--but the Kelvin version is quite a bit larger than the TOS. Likewise other variants of the D7 are bigger than TOS. We're not just talking about differing parts, they just don't fit based on scale.
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    I'm not sure why the TOS connie, the kelvin Connie should be compatible with each other since they're from 2 different parallel timelines, but the TOS and disco commies should since they're from the same timeline.
    You really think that the Kelvin Timeline Enterprise and the TOS Enterprise are 'practically the same ship?' Even the TOS and Discovery Enterprise are obviously very different from one another. Even throwing out their blindingly obvious differences, they're completely different sizes as well.
    ltminns wrote: »
    As valid as the sizing argument may be, that's still a poor general argument.

When I say the same ship, I'm talking about the designation. Regardless of which film, show or series it's from, we're still talking about the Constitution Class. We're talking about the fictional scaling of a fictional space ship within a fictional universe, and the argument that comes back is that they're different sizes, so they shouldn't be compatible? C'mon, that's just lazy.

We could easily have the JJ-Connie parts downscaled, or the Disco-Connie parts upscaled to coincide with a desired ship tailor setup. The individual ships and boff setups can easily remain as they are.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,500 Arc User
    Not an expert on the different d7 version but as far as C/K/Donnies are concerned they have largely different sizes.
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    ltminns wrote: »
    As valid as the sizing argument may be, that's still a poor general argument.

When I say the same ship, I'm talking about the designation. Regardless of which film, show or series it's from, we're still talking about the Constitution Class. We're talking about the fictional scaling of a fictional space ship within a fictional universe, and the argument that comes back is that they're different sizes, so they shouldn't be compatible? C'mon, that's just lazy.

We could easily have the JJ-Connie parts downscaled, or the Disco-Connie parts upscaled to coincide with a desired ship tailor setup. The individual ships and boff setups can easily remain as they are.

While it is true that they could scale the meshes and add them in, why clutter up the database with three entire sets of the same thing? It would just mean more lookups slowing things down, and with the severity of the rifts in the fanbase few are likely to use a mix of the parts anyway, especially since Trek fans are notorious sticklers for details and know that the source ships are radically different in size and technology.
This discussion has been closed.