test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Discovery Season 3 Discussion *spoilers obviously*

Comments

• foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    What we know is that the D'Deridex-class heavy cruiser didn't use matter/antimatter for a reaction,...

Hold on now. This is exactly why there is no reason to believe a D'deridex uses dilithium. Dilthium is explicitly used to regulate the reaction because it doesn't react with antimatter under certain conditions. Thus if there is no M/AM reaction there is no reason for dilithium.

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    Val... you're moving the goalposts every post now. And you know we can just throw your "show us the proof" argument right back at you too.

By your logic, why are the Romulans not Kings of the Galaxy? Obvious answer is they used Dilithium for SOMETHING.
    Hold on now. This is exactly why there is no reason to believe a D'deridex uses dilithium. Dilthium is explicitly used to regulate the reaction because it doesn't react with antimatter under certain conditions. Thus if there is no M/AM reaction there is no reason for dilithium.

Without the technical schematics of a D'Deridex... we don't know if they have a secondary M/AM core in case the primary is somehow knocked out.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    i don't think you CAN knock out a singularity, at least not safely, because the only way to collapse one is to stop feeding it matter and let it bleed off hawking radiation...of course, when it finally DOES collapse, it goes off like a nuke​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    It is possible that the galaxy went to a standard design for warp travel for regular ships. So 32nd Century Romulan Warbirds might still use a Singularity, other Romulan ships use a standard warp drive. The cost for creating a singularity is likely too expensive to use in civilian ships.
    valoreah wrote: »
    Seven of Nine could not share any knowledge about Borg transwarp technology?
    We already went over this. Transwarp isn't a viable means of maintaining something like the Federation due to the intense stress it puts on ships' hulls damaging them if they stay in it for extended periods. It isn't really viable for constant, long distance, travel. Unless you are flying around in a Borg Cube.

Just because a Borg Cube experiences extreme gravimetric shear and extreme temporal stresses without using chroniton fields and structural integrity fields while using Transwarp, doesn't mean that smaller ships will experience the same problems. A Borg Cube likely creates extremely powerful Chroniton fields and structural intergrity fields due to its size while ships like Voyager require regular structural integrity fields and shuttles don't require any protection from Transwarp. The Borg Cube is a massive brick while most of the ships in Star Trek are the size of an ant compared to it. As mentioned before, the Delta Flyer was able to easily use Transwarp without issue. So if Voyager was able to use Transwarp, then 32nd Century ships should be able to use it.

• khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    There’s a good chance the Romulans joined the Federation by the 32nd century and singularity drives were discarded in favor of the Federation standard.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
    > @valoreah said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > That very well could be. However, it still would not explain the Federation knowing dilithium was becoming scarce, they would not dust off and start using singularity drives.

The dialogue in the show says that they tried other forms of FTL travel but none were as reliable. So they did dust it off but for whatever reason decided it wasn’t a viable alternative.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
    I don't think they did give up at all. They were probably looking for alternatives all the way up to The Burn.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    valoreah wrote: »
    khan5000 wrote: »
    There’s a good chance the Romulans joined the Federation by the 32nd century and singularity drives were discarded in favor of the Federation standard.

That very well could be. However, it still would not explain the Federation knowing dilithium was becoming scarce, they would not dust off and start using singularity drives.

It is possible that singularity drives always attract the singularity aliens which could explain why singularity drives were phased out. Then there is the issue where it was partially responsible for moving O'Brian forward in time and all temporal technology has been banned.
    starkaos wrote: »
    It is possible that singularity drives always attract the singularity aliens which could explain why singularity drives were phased out. Then there is the issue where it was partially responsible for moving O'Brian forward in time and all temporal technology has been banned.

There was also apparently an instance of a Singularibee forming in some alternate reality known as Space Station 13.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    Considering dilithium has been firmly established in canon as being the best regulator for antimatter streams there is no supportable reason for dilithium being used in Romulan singularity drives. They may use it in other systems (like the torpedo launchers or something), but warp drive is the only concern here.

And they are not the only ones who dont use it in their drives, the Akritiri also dont use dilithium, and in fact arrested Harry Kim and Tom Paris and convicted them of terrorism because of a bombing that used trilithium, a substance that can be made from dilithium, and the warp-drive-using Akritiri, who like the Romulans come from an area very low in dilithium resources made warp drives that did not use the crystals so Voyager was the only ship in the area that did.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    I do wonder where they are getting the materials to keep technology and the economy running though, especially on Earth were a lot of resources were used up before the Federation came into being. For instance there is no source of new supermetals like tritanium or duranium so once the stocks of it in storage ran out they would be forced to use ordinary titanium, steel, and aluminum which are all as soft as warm butter compared to the supermetals, and without dilithium to control M/AM reactions they would not have the powerful shields to make up the difference.

And speaking of energy, while renewable energy sources are great they can only go so far, even if they could reach 100% coverage or managed to get Tesla's idea of tapping the electrical potential difference between the earth and the ionosphere working it is still limited by the size of the planet in how much energy it intercepts from Sol. Tapping too much hydrogen from the gas giants to run fusion generators would cause problems eventually too.

On top of that, the post-scarcity economy was made possible in large part by the cheap and easy energy the M/AM technology brought (the other main factor was the end of an economic hoarding elite class), so if DSC is showing Earth as still being post-scarcity they are ignoring the obvious problem, though it would still be better than today unless the hoarding has started again there.

There would be a lot of dead colonies too, both TOS and TNG showed that many of them were one-industry wonders that depended on trade to survive (there were probably scores of new "executioners" like Kodos, but his solution was short term only and would have made things even worse in the long run when the supply ships never arrived), and with the main problem being transportation they obviously could not evacuate or ship in massive amounts of equipment as a seed for diversification.

Much as I hate to say it, it probably should look at least a bit like Mad Max.
    I want EDF uniforms in game now
    Your pain runs deep.
    Adira has one of the most tragic histories in Star Trek.
    Having one of your hosts be your former boyfriend.
    It is sweet in an extremely creepy manner.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    Adira has one of the most tragic histories in Star Trek.
    Having one of your hosts be your former boyfriend.
    It is sweet in an extremely creepy manner.
    Or extremely creepy in a sweet manner, I suppose. :smile:
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    That was a great episode. More exploration of human nature than deep space exploration or pew pew.

I thought I recognized Adira's boyfriend from another show, and indeed, Ian Alexander played Buck on the OA. (In my opinion a fantastic show, if you're open to it, and I know that isn't always easy... But I'd definitely leave my door open for Brit Marling...)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    I think one of this show's greatest deficits are its underdevelopped characters. And I agree with others when they say the less Burnham we have in an episode, the better. We still don't know half of the bridge crew. Black security guy, asian computer guy, black ops lady, fish guy and Detmer. They throw them into traumatic situations, but you're not really invested because you barely know them.

Like when we learned how robot-lady lost her husband, and later sacrificed herself for the rest of the crew. This should have been an emotional moment and a great episode. But up to this point, she had been little more than a prop on the bridge, it felt like we lost a redshirt. And the same is true for Adira. She had maybe two or three minutes of screen time during the last episode. She's a complete stranger. We should have gotten to know her a little better before such a character defining episode.

Imagine if Jadzia Dax had found out about Joran Dax in the very first episode of DS9. The emotional impact would have been vastly different.
    szim wrote: »
    I think one of this show's greatest deficits are its underdevelopped characters. And I agree with others when they say the less Burnham we have in an episode, the better. We still don't know half of the bridge crew. Black security guy, asian computer guy, black ops lady, fish guy and Detmer. They throw them into traumatic situations, but you're not really invested because you barely know them.

Like when we learned how robot-lady lost her husband, and later sacrificed herself for the rest of the crew. This should have been an emotional moment and a great episode. But up to this point, she had been little more than a prop on the bridge, it felt like we lost a redshirt. And the same is true for Adira. She had maybe two or three minutes of screen time during the last episode. She's a complete stranger. We should have gotten to know her a little better before such a character defining episode.

Imagine if Jadzia Dax had found out about Joran Dax in the very first episode of DS9. The emotional impact would have been vastly different.

It was extremely lousy what they did with Airiam. The only episode where we actually learned about her backstory is when they killed her off. Maybe we shouldn't want to learn any of the backstory of the nameless bridge crew or Discovery will kill them off as well. There was far too much potential with Airiam.
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    Georgiou needs a staff role or something.
    Post edited by hawku001x on
    "Black ops lady" is Lt(JG) Joanne Owosekun, or "Owo" to her friends. She was raised in a Luddite collective on Earth; her family had no specific religious beliefs beyond their distrust of technology. This is why she was selected as one of the contact officers when the Discovery went to the town of New Eden on Terralysium (DSC: "New Eden"). She apparently hasn't (or now "hadn't", I suppose) spoken to her family since joining Starfleet, although she hoped her parents weren't too angry about it.

"Black security guy" is Lt(JG) Ronald Bryce, comms officer. We don't know much about his background yet, although it's interesting that when the universal translator went on the fritz he was heard to speak Welsh. Don't know how much, if any, significance to attach to that, but it would be interesting if that turned out to be indicative.

"Asian computer guy" is Albert Kim, although it would be quite understandable if you didn't know that - his name wasn't spoken in dialog, and I had to go look it up. (It was apparently seen on Saru's PADD after the cadets ran a half-marathon in the ship.) He's an operations officer.

I'm puzzled by "fish guy", unless you mean Lt. Linus, a Saurian science officer who has appeared in several episodes. We don't know his background yet, although apparently Saurians were new enough to Starfleet in 2257 that universal translators still had occasional difficulty in translating their language. He's also been seen eating bamboo in the ship's mess.

Lt. Keyla Detmer you know. Looks like we're liable to learn more about her in upcoming episodes, assuming we get to occasionally look in on her counseling sessions with Culber. I do wonder whether she might still have some deep-seated resentment toward Burnham, considering her injuries aboard the Shenzhou were caused in part by Burnham's actions. She seems to carry things like that deep below, where (as we saw during the dinner party) they can fester and emerge in unexpected fashion.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »

Thank you for the information. But you must admit, after ~2 1/2 seasons we still barely know them. Maybe with the exception of Detmer. But as you said, even though she and Burnham have a history, their relationship remains largely unexplored.

Star Trek has always been a show about characters, some more interesting and more developped than others. Having so many recurring characters we know next to nothing about is exceptional, and in my opinion, not in a good way.
    edited November 2020
    Really. After three seasons of TOS, how much did we know about Sulu or Uhura? Neither one of them even got a first name until the novels started coming out! We only knew Pavel Chekov's first name because it was mentioned in "The Trouble With Tribbles", and we only know he was an only child because it was a clue in "Day of the Dove". For that matter, what's Christine Chapel's background? What's Dr. Mbenga's first name? Where did we learn about McCoy's personal life prior to joining Starfleet?

Three full seasons, and they managed to give the impression of deep background that you accuse DSC of failing to provide, while in fact giving us less actual information.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png