test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Alternate First Contact

paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,777 Arc User
How differently would humanity turn out if another Trek species like Klingons, Romulans, Ferengi or Andorians made first contact with Zefram Cochrane instead of the Vulcans? this a Hypertheoretical question, since it's pretty obvious that the Vulcans had a heavily influence on the Prime Directive and the Planet classification used by the Federation.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
Tagged:

Comments

• sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,455 Arc User
    This is more of a Ten Forward question.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,017 Community Moderator
    sthe91 wrote: »

Agreed.

As for the question...
    Klingons: Conquered easily. Federation never formed.
    Romulans: Conquered easily. Federation never formed.
    Ferengi: Probably end up forming Weyland-Yutani or something.
    Andorians: Hard to say. Possibly conquered.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • p331p331 Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    Mizarians make first contact and immediately surrender to humans.
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    It's now been moved to Ten Forwad.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,786 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    sthe91 wrote: »

Agreed.

As for the question...
    Klingons: Conquered easily. Federation never formed.
    Romulans: Conquered easily. Federation never formed.
    Ferengi: Probably end up forming Weyland-Yutani or something.
    Andorians: Hard to say. Possibly conquered.

I don't think the Andorians would have conquered Earth. They're militaristic, but they don't simply occupy planets of other species just because they can.

The only example (as far as I know) of them taking away somebody else's planet was an uninhabited moon. That they terraformed and into which they had put a lot of effort while the Vulcans didn't really do much with it until the Andorians had made it habitable.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,786 Arc User
    As for the other ones: They'd probably have ignored Earth.

It's too far away from the Klingon Empire so it'd be hard to defend (and a small coalition of local species may have resisted such a sudden establishment of Klingon territory amidst their own).

The Romulans probably wouldn't see much added value either.

Keep in mind that breaking the warp barrier seemed to be the requirement for contact only because the Vulcans decided that. Nothing suggests that the Klingons and the Romulans follow similar procedures, indeed, if the Klingons for example were interested in Earth, they'd have no reason to wait until Earth developed warp technology.

A more interesting one would be the Ferengi. I think their impact would be minor. At best, they might remind humanity of the need to outgrow the strive for material wealth.

Breaking the warp barrier itself (and the opportunities that came with it) seemed more important as a moral boost and for promoting the idea that more co-operation was needed anyway. Meeting another species was also great of course, but I don't think it would've been the most important factor in changing humanity's mindset.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • gilleylen#2528 gilleylen Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    I kind of believe that if "Enterprise" didn't travel back in time, the prime timeline would have ended like the Mirror universe, Zefram shooting the Vulcan explorers (leading Vulcan to inform the Klingons before falling) which turned the Klingon's into an Axis Power in the Universe assembling a team of Gorn, Orions ECT into a mini-Federation, Human's rally behind "to stop them from killing us we have to kill them" -kind of where Humanity has been for..oh roughly... How long is the age of man?
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    I kind of believe that if "Enterprise" didn't travel back in time, the prime timeline would have ended like the Mirror universe, Zefram shooting the Vulcan explorers (leading Vulcan to inform the Klingons before falling) which turned the Klingon's into an Axis Power in the Universe assembling a team of Gorn, Orions ECT into a mini-Federation, Human's rally behind "to stop them from killing us we have to kill them" -kind of where Humanity has been for..oh roughly... How long is the age of man?

The Orions joined the Terran Empire by Archer's time.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,362 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    I've actually read that theory before - that what happened with the Ent-E was a predestination paradox, because before they came to tell him what he would mean to the future Zephram Cochrane was a miserable drunken sot, squatting in an abandoned military base in the wake of the Third World War, just trying to invent something valuable enough that he could leave everyone there behind and move to an island somewhere. He's exactly the sort of person who might have killed the aliens because they're scary and besides they might give him the upper hand against the Eastern Coalition, then use the power conferred by their technology to start conquering the planet and rewriting his own personal mythology to make his Empire appear even more unassailable. Thus, it's not that the Empire has been around for thousands of years by Archer's era - it's that everyone has been told that this is true.

Fortunately, Riker, Geordi, and Deanna went down to the camp first and told him about his glorious future, how there would be a statue to him, how the first flight of the Phoenix would be the keystone of a future era of peace and prosperity for all, and what a great person he really was down deep. Way down deep, under about the third layer of tequila, but still...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
This discussion has been closed.