test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Singularity Core vs. Warp Core?

smi3thsmi3th Member Posts: 211 Arc User
When I started playing my first Romulan character I enjoyed having a bunch of extra powers my ship was capable of because of the singularity core. Partly because I like having lots of buttons to push. But at this point I have noticed that I rarely use those abilities and I mostly use the one that grants temporary HP as it never seems the right time to use the others, which seem mainly designed to get you out of specific situations.

Meanwhile the total of -40 to power levels (10 for each category) seems a pretty stiff price to pay.

Since the Romulan ships mostly seem to be the exact same mechanically as other faction ships aside from the singularity core you can always get almost the exact same ship from your allied faction with a warp core instead. So I am wondering if there is a general consensus about these ships and whether the power reduction is really worth it. What do people think about this tradeoff?

Thanks.

Comments

• foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    The problem is you have to look at each singularity core and the ship, not just the concept of singularity cores.

Many rep cores offer different bonuses compared to the warp cores. Most of them do offer extra power based on your singularity charge level, of course that doesn't cover the -40 overall power. Many are obviously designed around actually using the singularity powers too.

Then of course you have to consider the ships themselves. Romulan ships are almost all warbirds, which means they have access to a lot of the Romulan ship set consoles, some of which are exceptionally good like the Valdore console. There are also some big differences sometimes between the Romulan ship and its counterparts, such as the T6 scimitars versus the T6 KDF/Fed flagships. They are 5/3 in the weapons layout and can use the drone ships as their hangar pets, along with being "warbirds."

So its not something you can look at in isolation, but I'm sure for a lot of people the differences aren't worth it.
  • cearavcearav Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    Yeah, when romulans first came out I loved flying the ships, but after a while I realized I never used the powers so that -40 was really to much of a penalty. Now all my rommys use other ships instead. Anything that lets me use a warpcore. I wish they would let us be able to slot a warpcore and grey out the powers to get that 40 power back. I would start flying those ships again as I consider them much more visually pleasing.
  • duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    The -40 power is a bit much for the singularity powers you get in exchange. My Romulan is an engineer so I skill up in +power part of the trees. If I was Cryptic I'd maybe give that -40 a second look and either buff the singularity powers or lower it power loss to -20.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    What is this 2005? Complaining about a mere 40 power loss?
    There are literally tons of items/abilities which easily let you over-cap your power levels in both regular ships and war birds.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • cearavcearav Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    There are literally tons of items/abilities which easily let you over-cap your power levels in both regular ships and war birds.

While true, The point is you should'nt have to. That is -20% power in each power setting. So to get that power back you have to burn ship slots or trait slots to overcome something other ships don't have to.

I have no illusions they will change this feature for romulan ships. It's not a huge deal, just play another factions ships. All my roms are flying fed ships or Holiday ships. So, If you don't like the mechanic don't use it. Would be nice if they did let us chose as in my previous post but I'm not holding my breath.
  • smi3thsmi3th Member Posts: 211 Arc User
    Overall I think the powers are thematic for a sneaky science-y build of some kind. And some of the powers are interesting and potentially useful.

I might have been fine with it overall if you could just activate the powers at will - like if the singularity level started at 1 instead of 0. But the fact that you have to wait for them to be available means it is hard to build strategies around them, which means I mostly ignore them except when they are flashing and at full charge.
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,593 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »

clearly the OP doesn't know, so do the community a favor, make a post on how to, get some karma instead of belittling him
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    I have a toon for every faction, but I like using the singularity core on my Rom Sci to use what I call the "Colius Maneuver" TM, it's essentially a combo consisting of Warp Shadows, Nimbus Pirate Distress Call and Photonic Fleet that's proven to be a life saver on multiple occasions. I have variations like the "Pardek Maneuver" TM which is basically the same thing but with a Voth Power Subcore addition or Federation equivalent known as the "Chu'Lak Maneuver" TM.