test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

QA Lead streaming today

lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
From reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/jjs8e0/streaming_friday_at_6pm_well_answer_questions/

Streaming Friday at 6PM! We'll answer questions then play STO!
Hey All! Drop your questions below. Please remember I can't answer any question about upcoming ships, upcoming events, or anything to do with upcoming content.

After we do the Q/A, stick around and I'll start a brand new character(with chats feedback) and we'll go through STO content!

Some people has posted questions on the topic so I guess its acceptable to post them there too and watch the stream later if you cant be there

He doesnt mention his twitch link but I know it from previous time, it is:

https://www.twitch.tv/placeholderqa

Now only if we knew the timezone he uses
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• jhymeldev#0987 jhymeldev Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    It's PDT!(cali time)

*edit: Also, thank you very much for posting! I need to figure out why I can't post here just yet!
  • p331p331 Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    I believe there is a certain post count number you need before you can start your own topic posts.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    This is the one guy in Cryptic that actually tries to answer peoples questions. Yes, he has a lot of "I have to find out," but he's a Q&A person.. he's not a Developer and frankly.. at least he cares enough to acknowledge the questions.

This guy is doing the job that Kael should be doing but can't be bothered because he's too busy doing.. umm.. whatever it is he actually does. Yeah, he doesn't have all the answers, but this dude is hands down the best face for Cryptic on the current staff.

He at least cares.. more then can be said for the person who is supposed to be doing this job. The Q&A Lead is the only one that actually interacts with the community.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    This is the one guy in Cryptic that actually tries to answer peoples questions. Yes, he has a lot of "I have to find out," but he's a Q&A person.. he's not a Developer and frankly.. at least he cares enough to acknowledge the questions.

This guy is doing the job that Kael should be doing but can't be bothered because he's too busy doing.. umm.. whatever it is he actually does. Yeah, he doesn't have all the answers, but this dude is hands down the best face for Cryptic on the current staff.

He at least cares.. more then can be said for the person who is supposed to be doing this job. The Q&A Lead is the only one that actually interacts with the community.

Agreed.
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
    edited October 2020
    I get it, but we will see where it goes from here. The guy took the time to put together a thread for questions then went down the thread one by one and tried his best to give every single person a reply of some type. This is opposed to the normal live streams we get where the host dictates the content and occasionally answers a random question or two. Most of the questions directed at Kael are ones he caused with bad information, but again.. he answers a few random things. This guy did a stream that was focused purely on the players questions.. it's not even his job and he didn't have to do it at all. He did it because people aren't getting answers and he's trying to help.

Yes, there was a lot of 'I will have to ask,' so lets just give him a chance to see if he can get any answers or make any progress before we crucify him for trying. I appreciated that he at least made the effort, he engaged the community and did his best to try and address issues, the rest of the staff should take a queue from this. More then likely, they will just stonewall his attempts to get any answers but at least he was willing to to try.

Any attempt and fixing Cryptic's horrible communication with the player base will be something I will generally appreciate.
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,403 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    so what is the link to post questions and watch? nvm. i dont have a reddit acct. grrr
    shouldnt there be a forum thread instead of reddit? wtf?

a lot of "i cant tell you," and "let me follow up as i dont know."

wtf is the use of a QA session if you cant tell us. might as well just stop with them. sorry, but the stream was useless.

maybe past ones were better, never watched them...maybe its just me.

Some of the questions people were asking were not connected to quality assurance as well as fall under the NDA that game developers, QA, etc. sign. That is why he gives people those answers. The stream was not useless. He also explained what he does as QA.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,403 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    I get it, but we will see where it goes from here. The guy took the time to put together a thread for questions then went down the thread one by one and tried his best to give every single person a reply of some type. This is opposed to the normal live streams we get where the host dictates the content and occasionally answers a random question or two. Most of the questions directed at Kael are ones he caused with bad information, but again.. he answers a few random things. This guy did a stream that was focused purely on the players questions.. it's not even his job and he didn't have to do it at all. He did it because people aren't getting answers and he's trying to help.

Yes, there was a lot of 'I will have to ask,' so lets just give him a chance to see if he can get any answers or make any progress before we crucify him for trying. I appreciated that he at least made the effort, he engaged the community and did his best to try and address issues, the rest of the staff should take a queue from this. More then likely, they will just stonewall his attempts to get any answers but at least he was willing to to try.

Any attempt and fixing Cryptic's horrible communication with the player base will be something I will generally appreciate.

this is acceptable, and as mentioned, i appreciated his time and willingness to do it. so with your post we will see and i will keep an open mind to future ones and details. if it doesnt change soon, then we know it was for naught.
    sthe91 wrote: »
    so what is the link to post questions and watch? nvm. i dont have a reddit acct. grrr
    shouldnt there be a forum thread instead of reddit? wtf?

a lot of "i cant tell you," and "let me follow up as i dont know."

wtf is the use of a QA session if you cant tell us. might as well just stop with them. sorry, but the stream was useless.

maybe past ones were better, never watched them...maybe its just me.

Some of the questions people were asking were not connected to quality assurance as well as fall under the NDA that game developers, QA, etc. sign. That is why he gives people those answers. The stream was not useless. He also explained what he does as QA.

to you maybe, to me it was.

Again, he does quality assurance. You are asking him to do the impossible and violate the rules of game development studios and Cryptic's rules. If he gave you what you wanted to hear, he would most likely get fired. I as a player do not want leaks (just as I do not want that in the government). If he does not know, then he says that does not know and will follow up on the question. Those who work at Cryptic Studios for STO are not all-knowing. Plus, as I said before some of those questions are not really questions that can be answered by QA and go to someone else down the line. You need to understand how game development studios work and he explains how it is. I saw more into the inner workings of Cryptic than I saw in the Ten Forward Weeklys that I have seen with Kael. With that said, he now has a forum account and will interact with those here as well. I am so glad that you are not my boss with your attitude towards the QA person. With that said, I do agree that Kael and others need to improve on their communication with the STO community, this is a step in the right direction unless the STO community self-sabotages the attempt which I am afraid might happen. Glad it did not happen during the stream. Please give him a chance. Thanks. :)
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
    edited October 2020
    this is acceptable, and as mentioned, i appreciated his time and willingness to do it. so with your post we will see and i will keep an open mind to future ones and details. if it doesnt change soon, then we know it was for naught.

Sounds fair to me! :smile:
    sthe91 wrote: »
    You are asking him to do the impossible and violate the rules of game development studios and Cryptic's rules. If he gave you what you wanted to hear, he would most likely get fired.

Speculation, nothing more. At no point in the stream did he say anything about NDA's or not being allowed to speak on a topic. He explained his role with the company and that he knew who would have those answers. He was taking a list of the issues to get to the people that knew. If he didn't answer a question it was because he simply didn't have the information. The whole NDA 'gag order' was not a thing.. at all.
  • lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    QA apparently can obviously answer only QA related questions and maybe a bit on general ones(its highly possible he doesnt even get much info from dev team anyways apart from the absolutely required things and understandable he wants to keep his job), I dont find this weird and to be honest its not his job to communicate(unlike our CM who sometimes gets allergic to communication) so I appreciate it even if its not much since he isnt a Dev. Speaking of would be cool if we got a Dev to stream at times. It would strenghen the bonds to community
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    Wow thanks for linking the stream OP.

Unlike the ten forward stuff I had a good time watching/listening to it.

That’s new! :)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    > @coldnapalm said:
    > He needs to focus on his job and Kael needs to do his.

Aww, can’t the QA guy do both please? :'(
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    > @coldnapalm said:
    > He needs to focus on his job and Kael needs to do his.

Aww, can’t the QA guy do both please? :'(

Hey, this guy is actually nice! We don't want him to burn out, Pete!

All things considered, I appreciated the time he took to set up the whole thing and to answer each question to the best of his abilities/knowledge.
    Let's hope his reports about some of the things people asked about get where they need to be... and that they actually do something about them.
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
This discussion has been closed.