test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Soliton Wave Generator locked!

meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
After the weather control console, from the latest Risian ship, I figured I buy some boxes, to get the Luxury cruiser I still didn't have. to get the Soliton-wave console, for a good 2-piece combo. Lo and behold, though, after opening an UR token, and getting the ship, turns out Cryptic has.... made the Solititon console bound to Risian ships only! What kind of BS is that?! All the other Risian consoles are free to be used on any ship, except the one you need to get, using a boatload of Dilithium for, to open phoenix boxes with. Well-played, Cryptic, well-played.
3lsZz0w.jpg
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    Its been bound to Risian ships since like... forever

And you only find that out, when you actually get the ship. And it's absurd. The rest of the Risian consoles are all free to use on any other ship. Especially since they form a set, I say it's absolutely reasonable of me not to expect 1 of them sneakily turning out to be bound to Risian ships only.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    Unfortunately, I think it's because the ship was the first to be released and they probably had no plans of making it a set.

I know it's kinda... pointless for it to be exclusive to Risian ships, and I'm sorry you wasted a token for it, but if its the 2 pieces bonus that you're after, it works just as well with the other two consoles?
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
    Unfortunately, I think it's because the ship was the first to be released and they probably had no plans of making it a set.

I know it's kinda... pointless for it to be exclusive to Risian ships, and I'm sorry you wasted a token for it, but if its the 2 pieces bonus that you're after, it works just as well with the other two consoles?

Thx. Yeah, I already use a 2-piece console set now (you kinda need it, if you want to be serious on a Sci-ship). Problem is, 2nd console is a totally lame console that increases speed a bit (yawn), and has an aft debuff clicky (equally yawn). It's de facto a wasted console (if it weren't for the 2-piece set bonus). So, Soliton wave seemed like a worthwhile upgrade for my main sci ship.

P.S. Don't mind losing an UR token, but losing the Dilithium to get it was unpleasant.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    Yeah, I feel you. I've gotten only one UR - no Epic whatsoever, a few VRs but they pale in comparison to Rares and Uncommons - and the amount of dilithium I had to fork to get even that one was... too much, imho.

As for the consoles, I have to admit: the subspace wake IS kinda fun! But then again, I've used it only when in a very bad place, for the speed boost when out of everything else to use.
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,206 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Its been bound to Risian ships since like... forever

And you only find that out, when you actually get the ship. And it's absurd. The rest of the Risian consoles are all free to use on any other ship. Especially since they form a set, I say it's absolutely reasonable of me not to expect 1 of them sneakily turning out to be bound to Risian ships only.

I encountered something similar recently with the Dreadnought Cruiser. I wanted to use the Defiant 3 piece set bonus for the battle cloak on my Gal X, but apparently the T6 part of the set is locked to Defiant classes. I can equip the Cloak console itself from the T5 Defiant, and the Quad Cannons from the T4, but I'm not able to use the console needed to give me battlecloak.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • terlokiterloki Member Posts: 287 Arc User
    I ran into an even more absurd version during this last ship sale. I'd gotten the T6 Paladin battlecruiser previously, and went ahead and got the Ranger so I can use the TOS look. I tried putting the Ranger's Photonic Decoy console onto the Paladin and... Nope. The console only works on that ONE ship. Not the T6 version, not the fleet version, only on the ship you got it from. I just... Why?
    Admiral Katrina Tokareva - U.S.S. Cosmos, Yorktown-class Star Cruiser
    Admiral Dananra Lekall - R.R.W. Teverresh, Deihu-class Warbird
    General J'Kar son of K'tsulan - I.K.S. Dlahath, Vo'devwl-class Carrier
  • voodoopokeyvoodoopokey Member Posts: 244 Arc User
    They really should just remove the various ship restrictions on consoles. No players specifically enjoy those restrictions (I'm sure some will claim they do just to be contrary, but there's no reason to like being prohibited from doing something - you can simply choose not to do it) and making all consoles usable on every ship would dramatically increase the demand for many ships that are otherwise less popular.

Since that would drive ship sales I'm a bit surprised they haven't done away with it yet.

Would there be new powerful combinations? Almost certainly... but people find new and stronger ways to up their performance all the time, and at the highest levels of play people are already steamrolling everything quite proficiently, so who cares? The most likely outcome would be us seeing more interesting builds in general play and the same 'ol same 'ol from the competitive dps leagues.
    edited October 2020
    Would there be new powerful combinations? Almost certainly... but people find new and stronger ways to up their performance all the time, and at the highest levels of play people are already steamrolling everything quite proficiently, so who cares? The most likely outcome would be us seeing more interesting builds in general play and the same 'ol same 'ol from the competitive dps leagues.

Those 'new powerful combinations' aren't only possible, but, in this case, were actually meant to be: it's a full set.

What's worse, I don't even think they're doing it on purpose per se (unless laziness can be called 'on purpose'). But yes, I say it's high time they went over these olders sets, one day, and solve these inconsistencies.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    terloki wrote: »
    I ran into an even more absurd version during this last ship sale. I'd gotten the T6 Paladin battlecruiser previously, and went ahead and got the Ranger so I can use the TOS look. I tried putting the Ranger's Photonic Decoy console onto the Paladin and... Nope. The console only works on that ONE ship. Not the T6 version, not the fleet version, only on the ship you got it from. I just... Why?

There are quite a few with that level of restriction unfortunately, or even restricted to a particular subtype of ship... of which the ship it comes on is the only one of the faction.

Another thing they should do is instead of requiring a whole ship to act as a skin they should make certain ships like the Paladin/Ranger have access to both skins from the beginning instead of people buying the T6 thinking it can do both and getting the nasty surprise that they have to also buy a T5 to get what they bought the T6 for in the first place.

Usually that skin nonsense is inflicted on TOS fans, the idea that they have to pay almost twice as much as TNG or DSC fans to get a ship appropriate to their preferred Trek era is absolutely barbaric.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Tell that to Lee Kelso, who yanked a Console out of a Automated Lithium Cracking Station and it worked perfectly on the Enterprise. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
This discussion has been closed.