test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

With another Red Alert weekend event coming, I have to ask...

corinthalascorinthalas Member Posts: 2,331 Arc User
...in what universe is any quantity of specialization points comparable to an ultimate upgrade? I mean, are there any numbers suggesting that there are players who actually choose the specialization points and not the ultimate upgrade? I'm genuinely curious, because this feels like a non-choice to me.

Note: I'm not complaining about the ultimate upgrade. I'm just confused why it's being rewarded against a choice specialization points.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• p331p331 Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    You actually receive both the ultimate upgrade and the Specialization point.
  • lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    And you get to save borg cubes from Tholians in Tholian RA, as a bonus
    Imagine if the Borg Cubes had sent a distress call and then we got in responding to it - would be funny
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    ...in what universe is any quantity of specialization points comparable to an ultimate upgrade? I mean, are there any numbers suggesting that there are players who actually choose the specialization points and not the ultimate upgrade? I'm genuinely curious, because this feels like a non-choice to me.

Note: I'm not complaining about the ultimate upgrade. I'm just confused why it's being rewarded against a choice specialization points.

I think it depends on the kind of player you are. Meaning: if you're new, you may not know that an Ultimate Tech Upgrade is something that you cannot get THAT easily OR you may think "you know what, there's no point in getting a single piece up to max mark and quality when I have very low specializations".
    Also, there are those that cannot play all that much, so a specialization point could be more useful to them than an Upgrade.

These are just a couple of examples, but I'm pretty sure there are more reasons why someone would go for a SP instead of a UTU.
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,974 Community Moderator
    lordmerc22 wrote: »
    Imagine if the Borg Cubes had sent a distress call and then we got in responding to it - would be funny

While Starfleet Regulations require a starship to respond to any distress call... a Collective Cube would probably be a situation where Starfleet wouldn't object to just turning around and TRIBBLE.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,206 Arc User
    I honestly don't understand it. If it was like 5 or 10 spec points I might be tempted. But its an easy choice for the Ultimate
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    Oh Im happy with both.

The upgrader is much needed after I speed adjusted my Styx to the broken ba‘ul kemo poo without patience.

The spec point will go to the save bank where a few dozen other ones already wait. I save em for bad times when cryptic gets me to do another recruit and at which point I will be able to bring it in line quickly.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • voodoopokeyvoodoopokey Member Posts: 244 Arc User

No, which is why they've never asked players to choose between an Ultimate Upgrade and a Specialization Point.

There was, at one point, short events that would once per day reward you with a choice of a Specialization Point or an Enhanced Universal Tech Upgrade, but that upgrade was weaker than a single Phoenix Universal Tech Upgrade.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Yeah, I don't get this thread. It clearly says in the announcement that the reward is a Specialization Point AND and Ultimate Upgrade.. it never says you have to choose between them.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    > @rattler2 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > While Starfleet Regulations require a starship to respond to any distress call... a Collective Cube would probably be a situation where Starfleet wouldn't object to just turning around and TRIBBLE.

Like the Cerritos. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    I enjoy the Red Alert weekends. They're not too demanding of course but they don't offer a trove of rewards neither. I do wish that the Red Alert mark rewarding was eligible for the daily bonus for a Reputation the first time then after of course only the 35 marks.
    I just wish I had a spec tree to put a spec point into.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • wideningxgyrewideningxgyre Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    I have 160+ 1/4 point specializations sitting in my account bank, not to mention dozens of full points.

Frankly, I don't even know where they all came from. I just double click them into the stockpile whenever one of my alts seems to get one from somewhere. I bet most players over a couple years old are similar.

And, they're all account bound.

So yeah, a spec point doesn't compare to an ultimate upgrade.
    well, when you complete a spec point at maxed character you get some unref dill - its not much of course but it adds up especially since cryptic made admiralty less useful for dill some time ago
    At this point I wonder what even a new spec would entail that isn't covered by the other specs.

Don't know. But we kinda need something new to work towards after maxing everything out.
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,593 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I just wish I had a spec tree to put a spec point into.
    At this point I wonder what even a new spec would entail that isn't covered by the other specs.

nothing that would not be waaayy OP
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
    We could have Commando expanded like Pilot was.
This discussion has been closed.