test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Will Iconians return?

2»

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    Not sure.

Honestly feel like I'm one of the few "forum sages" left. thecosmic1 left years ago, Iconians is kinda scarce... god I feel old.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,386 Arc User
    thay8472 wrote: »
    T'Ket is going to blow up our dilithium!
    T'Ket, watching this happen: "Now, that's what I call...*puts on 3 pairs of sunglasses* a sick Burn."
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User
    "tKet, the Fedration is waiting for you"
    T'Ket: "hold my beer"
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Calling it how it is...we don't refer as JJTrek as just Trek so it's the same with Kurtzman Trek. After all it shares nothing in common with canon and a lot of stuff in common with JJTrek

Its all Star Trek. There is no separate franchise called JJTrek. That is just something that people who don't like it put on there to separate it from everything else, and at times use it as an insult.
    The official line on "JJTrek" is the Kelvin Timeline. And since it is well established that alternate realities exist in Star Trek... its Star Trek. Just set in an alternate reality.
    Its basically trying to say nothing new exists by giving it a lable to divorce it from everything.

I don't have a problem with alternate universes....I have a problem with trying to paint everything Kurtzman has done as the prime timeline.

It doesn't fit at all, it has more in common with the kelvin timeline...from the pew pew phasers...transparent viewscreens and and panels when it was primarily analog in TOS...shipyards on the ground when it was established in canon stardocks were all in space...hyperdrive looking warp effects instead of subspace

On top of that you have the facts that planets are different...Vulcan is a lush planet in Discovery...Mars has a thick atmosphere in his series...Sarak, the man who hated violence was easily open to genocidal attacks...Spock had a disability...everything from ships to stations are all massively different. I'm probably forgetting a bunch but I'm sick of trying to shoehorn it into prime when it has almost NOTHING in common with it at all.

At least JJ point blank said his movies aren't your Dad's Trek, Kurtzman on the other hand claims it's prime then makes something that is absolutely contradictory to everything established
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    It doesn't fit at all, it has more in common with the kelvin timeline...from the pew pew phasers...
    Enterprise had beam phasers.
    transparent viewscreens and and panels when it was primarily analog in TOS
    Combination of interpreting what a modern audience might find advanced, and the possibility of slightly different tech than what was shown before.
    ...shipyards on the ground when it was established in canon stardocks were all in space
    latest?cb=20141225193032&path-prefix=en
    The idea of partial assembly on a planet surface has been around since TNG times. Probably only doable on worlds like Mars that are more barren.
    ...hyperdrive looking warp effects instead of subspace
    Warp effects have changed for years. TOS just had the ship wizzing by with no effects whatsoever, TMP had streaks with a flash, WoK had the lightstreak zoom effects... it wasn't until TNG that they settled on the warp flash and having streaking stars against a normal space background. The fact of the matter is we don't know what subspace could look like, so its open to interpretation. Discovery went with a streaking tunnel, Picard did something similar but gave it less blue and more TNG rainbow streaks.
    Its all just interpretation at this point to try and show extreme velocities.
    On top of that you have the facts that planets are different...Vulcan is a lush planet in Discovery...Mars has a thick atmosphere in his series...
    Vulcan still looked pretty rough, but it could have been a more temperate area, at least by Vulcan standards. Mars could have been slowly terraformed by the time of the Synth attack. *shrug*
    Sarak, the man who hated violence was easily open to genocidal attacks...
    Desperate times can push even the best people into accepting of extreme measures.
    Spock had a disability...
    Entirely plausible. Also he has ALWAYS been rather private about his family. Hell... no one knew about Sybok until ST5 after all. So him keeping his foster sister a secret is well within character for him.
    everything from ships to stations are all massively different.
    Most Federation ships and the D7 actually fit well into the design philosophies that are well established. And perhaps the DSC BoP could be seen as kinda in line with other established Klingon BoPs, at least in terms of general shape.

I'm not trying to say you're wrong. I actually respect you're being specific about what you don't like rather than just Hulk Smash the hate button. I'm just providing plausible explanations for the differences for the sake of argument, and trying to do so respectfully.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,782 Arc User
    I would like to visit Iconia sometime and see the Alliance establish normal relations with them.

This game could use a bit more of properly wrapping-up of stories.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    I would like to visit Iconia sometime and see the Alliance establish normal relations with them.

The Iconians told us to not come bother them for the next 1,000 years as they rebuilt their civilization, and that, if we did, they would finish the job they started of wiping us out.

I doubt the Alliance is going to risk galactic annihilation.

Good valid point, I remember during the dialogue during whatever mission when that was stated feeling like they were a bit ungrateful & was it worth it lol.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,498 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    rattler2 wrote: »
    It doesn't fit at all, it has more in common with the kelvin timeline...from the pew pew phasers...
    Enterprise had beam phasers.
    transparent viewscreens and and panels when it was primarily analog in TOS
    Combination of interpreting what a modern audience might find advanced, and the possibility of slightly different tech than what was shown before.
    ...shipyards on the ground when it was established in canon stardocks were all in space
    latest?cb=20141225193032&path-prefix=en
    The idea of partial assembly on a planet surface has been around since TNG times. Probably only doable on worlds like Mars that are more barren.
    ...hyperdrive looking warp effects instead of subspace
    Warp effects have changed for years. TOS just had the ship wizzing by with no effects whatsoever, TMP had streaks with a flash, WoK had the lightstreak zoom effects... it wasn't until TNG that they settled on the warp flash and having streaking stars against a normal space background. The fact of the matter is we don't know what subspace could look like, so its open to interpretation. Discovery went with a streaking tunnel, Picard did something similar but gave it less blue and more TNG rainbow streaks.
    Its all just interpretation at this point to try and show extreme velocities.
    On top of that you have the facts that planets are different...Vulcan is a lush planet in Discovery...Mars has a thick atmosphere in his series...
    Vulcan still looked pretty rough, but it could have been a more temperate area, at least by Vulcan standards. Mars could have been slowly terraformed by the time of the Synth attack. *shrug*
    Sarak, the man who hated violence was easily open to genocidal attacks...
    Desperate times can push even the best people into accepting of extreme measures.
    Spock had a disability...
    Entirely plausible. Also he has ALWAYS been rather private about his family. Hell... no one knew about Sybok until ST5 after all. So him keeping his foster sister a secret is well within character for him.
    everything from ships to stations are all massively different.
    Most Federation ships and the D7 actually fit well into the design philosophies that are well established. And perhaps the DSC BoP could be seen as kinda in line with other established Klingon BoPs, at least in terms of general shape.

I'm not trying to say you're wrong. I actually respect you're being specific about what you don't like rather than just Hulk Smash the hate button. I'm just providing plausible explanations for the differences for the sake of argument, and trying to do so respectfully.

All of those warp trails/flashes whatever started with the "riding off into the sunset" end scene of TMP, it was never used in the bulk of the movie and was only done because they thought it would make a good sendoff since they didn't think there would be any more Star Trek movies at the time. Unfortunately enough people got it into their heads that it was the normal warp effect that it stuck.

What possible bearing could what subspace looks like (if it looks like anything at all) have? Warp drive is not a jump drive, it never leaves realspace for subspace or hyperspace (or at least not intentionally anyway), all that happens is that the warp field causes a small bubble of space to start slipping its position along, carrying the ship with it. Since it never increases velocity in a real sense (the ship has the intrinsic velocity that it had just before the warp bubble came up) relativistic pseudomass buildup never happens and while it moves faster than light in an absolute sense it never exceeds the speed of light itself.

The "glass" windows don't look advanced, they look silly and a massive step backwards in tech. In fact the general tech level in DSC is far too low to believably only be a decade before TOS.

The ONLY thing the DSC ships have gong for them is the eye candy, nice shiny metal interiors with powdercoat paint and tabletop sized LCD screens for panels instead of the painted wood, black glass, custom wired banks of lights, and whatnot that they had to build the TOS sets from (Desilu mainly did cop shows and contemporary comedies instead of naval movies so they had home and office materials to build with for the most part so the set builders had to get creative).

If they would have done DSC in an inclusive style they might have gotten away with the changes as simply different styles in ships built using ideas as aesthetics from the various worlds of the Federation (and others), but Moonves was determined to not let anything of TOS (except for the hand props like the phasers and communicators) into the show and did things like have signs put up in the design rooms which screamed NO ROUND ENGINES!!! in big block letters to keep people from doing something compatible with the Star Trek series he disliked the most.

As for ship and station design aesthetics, they were massively different but some changes got rolled back to some degree as part of damage control. Listen to the dialog when they first introduce what is now called the Sech, it was the official DSC version of the D7 until they got such a mass of hate directed at it from the fans that they stopped calling it that and introduced a massively reworked K't'inga as their second try at the D7. In fact, I would not put it past them to have intended the wirecage Intrepid to be what the Constitution class looked like from the start instead of some mirror universe remodeling of it.

There are good things about DSC too, mostly the characters (yes, even Burnham, not all characters need to be likeable and the actress did a great job with what she was given to work with) and with the exception of this season's shark jump to the future the show was good from a generic TV sci-fi viewpoint, but the differences are too much to be able to reconcile it with TOS, the closest series to it time-wise (and jumping to a post apocalyptic future after the fact does not make it any more compatible than before).
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,386 Arc User

I'd be up for a more funny follow-up to introduce Iconia as another Reputation Zone/"Battle"zone.

Like L'Miren showing up with Tarsev and "Patel" and saying that, right after the War:
    -Tholians showed up angrily asking where was the "Tox Uthat, whatever this was"
    -then Na'khul showed up asking the same thing before angrily storming off
    -then Sphere Builder ships showed up gun blazing without even bothering to explain anything before being blown up, though she suspects it may have something to do with that Tox Utha
    -then someone shows up with a fleet yelling "THIS IS ADMIRAL LEETA..." before L'Miren cut off the transmission, thinking it's again about that Tox Uthat, and wearily ordered the Heralds to zerg rush that fleet, forcing the admiral to escape with her life. And the Iconian asks why the Grand Nagus' wife is acting all crazy now.
    -then, Tzenkethi showed up far away from their usual territory asking if Iconia had seen a "Butcher" and germanium crystals and when told no, just said "understandable, have a good day" and left
    -then T'Ket left a barely audible angry voicemail screaming about being scammed by a Ferengi and asking for another fleet. She got denied and left an even more inaudible screamy voicemail.
    -then some big insects showed up trying to literally chew the scenery
    -and of course, between each of these, the Borg occasionally showed up and got trashed
    -then some time-displaced Klingons showed up and she's sure she already saw the one with the big bulging eyes offering an alliance before being told to buzz off.
    -then, the Elachi were reporting some crazy Klingon lady was punching holes in their home dimension and driving them nuts
    -and finally, J'mpok showed up and did the same, boasting about being the new Kahless.

so since Tarsev and "Patel" say they know you, player, can help, she asks for it and also says that while the Iconians deserve this kind of things because of the war, this continuing punishment may be going a bit too far now.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • mez83mez83 Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    > @saurializard said:
    > (Quote)
    > I'd be up for a more funny follow-up to introduce Iconia as another Reputation Zone/"Battle"zone.
    >
    > Like L'Miren showing up with Tarsev and "Patel" and saying that, right after the War:
    > -Tholians showed up angrily asking where was the "Tox Uthat, whatever this was"
    > -then Na'khul showed up asking the same thing before angrily storming off
    > -then Sphere Builder ships showed up gun blazing without even bothering to explain anything before being blown up, though she suspects it may have something to do with that Tox Utha
    > -then someone shows up with a fleet yelling "THIS IS ADMIRAL LEETA..." before L'Miren cut off the transmission, thinking it's again about that Tox Uthat, and wearily ordered the Heralds to zerg rush that fleet, forcing the admiral to escape with her life. And the Iconian asks why the Grand Nagus' wife is acting all crazy now.
    > -then, Tzenkethi showed up far away from their usual territory asking if Iconia had seen a "Butcher" and germanium crystals and when told no, just said "understandable, have a good day" and left
    > -then T'Ket left a barely audible angry voicemail screaming about being scammed by a Ferengi and asking for another fleet. She got denied and left an even more inaudible screamy voicemail.
    > -then some big insects showed up trying to literally chew the scenery
    > -and of course, between each of these, the Borg occasionally showed up and got trashed
    > -then some time-displaced Klingons showed up and she's sure she already saw the one with the big bulging eyes offering an alliance before being told to buzz off.
    > -then, the Elachi were reporting some crazy Klingon lady was punching holes in their home dimension and driving them nuts
    > -and finally, J'mpok showed up and did the same, boasting about being the new Kahless.
    >
    > so since Tarsev and "Patel" say they know you, player, can help, she asks for it and also says that while the Iconians deserve this kind of things because of the war, this continuing punishment may be going a bit too far now.

All of this in one TFO that you have to complete 20 times as part of an event, no event buy out, the reward is a T6-X Nova.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User

I'd be up for a more funny follow-up to introduce Iconia as another Reputation Zone/"Battle"zone.

Like L'Miren showing up with Tarsev and "Patel" and saying that, right after the War:
    -Tholians showed up angrily asking where was the "Tox Uthat, whatever this was"
    -then Na'khul showed up asking the same thing before angrily storming off
    -then Sphere Builder ships showed up gun blazing without even bothering to explain anything before being blown up, though she suspects it may have something to do with that Tox Utha
    -then someone shows up with a fleet yelling "THIS IS ADMIRAL LEETA..." before L'Miren cut off the transmission, thinking it's again about that Tox Uthat, and wearily ordered the Heralds to zerg rush that fleet, forcing the admiral to escape with her life. And the Iconian asks why the Grand Nagus' wife is acting all crazy now.
    -then, Tzenkethi showed up far away from their usual territory asking if Iconia had seen a "Butcher" and germanium crystals and when told no, just said "understandable, have a good day" and left
    -then T'Ket left a barely audible angry voicemail screaming about being scammed by a Ferengi and asking for another fleet. She got denied and left an even more inaudible screamy voicemail.
    -then some big insects showed up trying to literally chew the scenery
    -and of course, between each of these, the Borg occasionally showed up and got trashed
    -then some time-displaced Klingons showed up and she's sure she already saw the one with the big bulging eyes offering an alliance before being told to buzz off.
    -then, the Elachi were reporting some crazy Klingon lady was punching holes in their home dimension and driving them nuts
    -and finally, J'mpok showed up and did the same, boasting about being the new Kahless.

so since Tarsev and "Patel" say they know you, player, can help, she asks for it and also says that while the Iconians deserve this kind of things because of the war, this continuing punishment may be going a bit too far now.

I know this is a joke, but I would legitimately like an actual rebuilding reputation/storyline/season where we actually do help a lot of these species we've murdered/battled/defended ourselves against rather than just the next new big bad. I was hopeful we were getting something like that with the Lukari when they showed up, but we didn't.
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    I know this is a joke, but I would legitimately like an actual rebuilding reputation/storyline/season where we actually do help a lot of these species we've murdered/battled/defended ourselves against rather than just the next new big bad. I was hopeful we were getting something like that with the Lukari when they showed up, but we didn't.
    What would that even entail? Especially now that the Lukari and their protomatter mastery allow them to fix entire planets in seconds.

Can they use protomatter to fix Romulus and Remus, it'll really help out the Alliance.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    even if it could reform the planets themselves, there wouldn't be any way to restore the planets as they were, so it'd just be another random class M and D planetary pair, not romulus and remus...which wouldn't last anyway with no star in the system anymore​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    What would that even entail? Especially now that the Lukari and their protomatter mastery allow them to fix entire planets in seconds.

It would be more like New Romulus. Fixing planets is not what we even need to do. We would be rebuilding places, helping old enemies establish colonies or outposts, dealing with non-slaughter oriented solutions to things and so on. I don't know how many people remember the old exploration clusters when sometimes people wanted X number of seismic stabilizers. Where is that now?

The Iconians have interest in rebuilding Iconia. Why can't we help them with that? The Tzenkethi at the very least have one defector which may mean more are willing to go their own way. The Vaudwaar could use some help as well. Maybe we could even do a little to earn some Tholian good will.

Star Trek is about a hopeful view of the future and lots of different people coming together and finding common ground, common cause, not yet another kill everything that moves STF.
  • daimon97daimon97 Member Posts: 368 Arc User
    Geez my post became popular XD
This discussion has been closed.