test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Federation ships from the preview of S3EP3 of Discovery. Now the waiting begins...

Comments

• westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,214 Arc User
    truewarper wrote: »
    westx211 wrote: »
    > @truewarper said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Someone else said...it looked more Mass Effect, the Citadel.

They were already copying Mass Effect in Picard its no surprise to see more things "inspired" by it in Disco

The word 'Inspired' doesn't fit well with AK and SH dubious machinations on illustrating other scifi well known properties... :D

Oh know I know, that's why the quotes I was poking fun at them.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    They've turned the currently active Trek series into such hot messes overall, that frankly I'm surprised that there is a portion of our shared fandom community that genuinely seems to like these shows?

To each his own, and they may enjoy away at their leisure, but I detest Discovery, tolerate Picard and while the cartoon might be funny .... just not interested.

I hold out some limited hope that Strange New Worlds will both make it to air and then be much more like a Star Trek show?
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,390 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    The elimination of time travel tech after Daniels' time doesn't stop the time cops from, and before, Daniels' time from stopping people from the future attempting using time travel tech.
    But apparently it stops them from interfering in an event that was so devastating it broke the Federation (and most likely the rest of the superpowers in the galaxy) and probably resulted in casualties in the billions at the VERY least. Sacrificing one world to save the rest of the galaxy is morally grey and leaning towards evil, but it still has good intentions and can be seen as a necessary evil.
    Letting the whole galaxy suffer a multi-societal collapse from an event that killed a lot of people? The grey has collapsed into a black hole.
    And "they couldn't know since they're from the past" is absolutely not an excuse temporal agencies, especially when in one timeline, a temporal catastrophe was so bad, the UFP never existed and Daniels' base went from being one of the top time-controlling organizations to not going beyond PAPER books. And that wasn't the only bad timeline as Discovery itself showed in Season 2.
    You'd think after so many disastrous alternate timelines they're aware of, they'd have every agent from various eras occasionally check the past and future to see if everything is still fine.

That reminds me of what happened with the Force in Star Wars.

At first, it was just "something" always present and capable of allowing you to anticipate things a bit and be a powerful warrior-mage, and implied to be good if impotent and able to be twisted by evil sorcerers.

Then, it became sentient and able to predict the future, so it knew that while something horrible would happen, in the end, the Sith would be destroyed for good, so it was partially omniscient if a bit amoral and above good and evil, but still seeking a brighter future by occasionally intervening and nudging certain people to the right direction, sacrificing the complacent Jedi to give the galaxy a wake-up call.

Then, with the sequel trilogy events and based on Yoda's behavior and lack of Ghost!Anakin's presence, it now feels like a completely omniscient evil troll, willing to let billions die, nullifying the Prophecy and making Anakin's horrible life for naught, and its other heroes' as miserable as possible before killing them off so a new generation rises, just because it can.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    Well, it should not affect romulans, singularity cores does not use dilithium
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    They could have adjusted the show to be more intelligent, consistent and otherwise more acceptable to the original Trek fan profile but they chose to ride the jumping shark into the far future where they believe they can continue the non-Trek Trek formula in a new setting without fans complaining about prequels.
    No, just no.

I'm a Trek fan; I grew up with TNG, and despite having grown up with Trek, I don't want more of the same. It's these original trek fan profiles that need to move with the times. DS9, especially it's later seasons did so well in that regard because they had a seasonal arc, rather than simply episode of the week. It's the old way of thinking that's drowning Trek. Not the new, more modern visions.
    The flaw in that logic is that it was never the simple fact that DSC was a "prequel" that caused the problems in the first place, it was the fact that the DSC people did not know the source material and did not bother to find out or make the slightest effort to update TOS rather than try and overwrite it with something totally different. DSC could have started a little after Nemesis with the same contempt for earlier Trek series they had when they set it in the 2250s and it would still have met with exactly the same lack of acceptance from the long time fans.

SNW could turn out to be that new flagship if they somehow manage to avoid the pitfalls they made with DSC, but Kurtzman's track record with that is not good so it probably will be just another of their typical all SFX, poor plotting and writing, and no respect at all for the other Treks, which makes that rather iffy at best.[/quote]There aren't half as many plot inconsistencies in Discovery that people make out, and many of them can be explained if people are a little more open about what if scenarios. The bulk of it is that a lot of people just don't like change.

attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
    flash525 wrote: »
    Discovery has everything it needs to be a successful show, and it is successful - so much so that we're already getting a fourth season.

Star Trek Picard on the other hand, that's the show that's going to take Trek down the toilet.

Keep telling yourself that. Maybe when hell frezees over, it will be true... for you only, of course.
    Except that it already is true, and it's not just me that realises it. I'm sorry you're stuck in the past and can't see beyond your own misconceptions.

> @phoenixc#0738 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > To me it does not matter who they belong to, I have zero interest in DSC s3 at this point. Maybe they will actually make something worth watching later on or even possibly pull DSC out of its spiral down the toilet, but until then I have completely lost interest in CBS Trek.

Discovery has everything it needs to be a successful show, and it is successful - so much so that we're already getting a fourth season.

Star Trek Picard on the other hand, that's the show that's going to take Trek down the toilet.

Let's be real about this...whatever the numbers on the viewership for this show...it is not clocking over in the double digits, high double digits.
    Well, @somtaawkhar has just shot your statement down here. I guess I needn't add anything else at this moment in time.
    its sad everyone hates on Discovery, its a good damn show, so was Picard, i see it this way, if you cant like "star trek" for being "star trek" your not a trekkie, but thats my opnion.
    You realise there's a lot of people (myself included) that really enjoy Discovery, don't you? :p

The whole argument though always (to me) seems to boil down to as it always has. Trek fans that want more of what has come before, and Trek fans that want something more modern and different. I fall into the latter category, and I'm more than happy about that. I wouldn't say pity, but I'm disappointed at the haters simply because any show that doesn't continue on, or is ripped apart because it doesn't conform ... well, you're potentially ending Trek.
  • captainhaseocaptainhaseo Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    > @phoenixc#0738 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > To me it does not matter who they belong to, I have zero interest in DSC s3 at this point. Maybe they will actually make something worth watching later on or even possibly pull DSC out of its spiral down the toilet, but until then I have completely lost interest in CBS Trek.

Let's be real about this...whatever the numbers on the viewership for this show...it is not clocking over in the double digits, high double digits.
    Well, @somtaawkhar has just shot your statement down here. I guess I needn't add anything else at this moment in time.
    its sad everyone hates on Discovery, its a good damn show, so was Picard, i see it this way, if you cant like "star trek" for being "star trek" your not a trekkie, but thats my opnion.
    You realise there's a lot of people (myself included) that really enjoy Discovery, don't you? :p

The whole argument though always (to me) seems to boil down to as it always has. Trek fans that want more of what has come before, and Trek fans that want something more modern and different. I fall into the latter category, and I'm more than happy about that. I wouldn't say pity, but I'm disappointed at the haters simply because any show that doesn't continue on, or is ripped apart because it doesn't conform ... well, you're potentially ending Trek.

oh ik a lot of people like the show as well, but i see like every day msg on how Discovery is trash or what ever their trolling opinion is, and if you disagree with them and like the show they go off on you, as seen in this thread lol

overall, yes everyone has a right to their opinion but not liking star trek, even if they messed up on season one and not giving it just a small chance is not being very "trekkie".

p.s. most people who hate discovery hate new things and fall back on to the crappy answer," TNG was the bestest evear" LOL
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    Meh, not really impressed by these. They look quite uninspiring, to be honest. Taking the show to the 31-st century, I would have thought that they'd bring us some really fresh new designs with inspiring and impressive looks, yet these look like they were picked up from a 23-rd century boneyard.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • mikewallace#2209 mikewallace Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    They are absolutely hideous..... I love them

7ui3o355ruu51.png

Sorry man but I see nothing but a black screen with streaks of blue. Do you have a better screenshot or a link?
    shpoks wrote: »
    Meh, not really impressed by these. They look quite uninspiring, to be honest. Taking the show to the 31-st century, I would have thought that they'd bring us some really fresh new designs with inspiring and impressive looks, yet these look like they were picked up from a 23-rd century boneyard.

even tho i like the show i so agree with you lol
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User

Keep telling yourself that. Maybe when hell frezees over, it will be true... for you only, of course.
    Except that it already is true, and it's not just me that realises it. I'm sorry you're stuck in the past and can't see beyond your own misconceptions.

Except that Picard is not "the past" by any means.
    It's NOTHING like any other Trek show and it sure as hell does not suffer from Discovery's biggest flaw, one it shares with many prequels: changing the past for the sake of changing the past.

The one "stuck in the past" is you, 'cause I seriously doubt you can see Picard's Federation, with the flaws that have ALWAYS been there, as anything more than an insult to YOUR precious misconceptions.

But go off, I guess.
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    westx211 wrote: »
    They were already copying Mass Effect in Picard its no surprise to see more things "inspired" by it in Disco
    The idea that they were copying Mass Effect would require that Mass Effect be the origin of any of these ideas.

I get what you mean - the tropes and concepts Mass Effect pulls from have been around in many variations for a long time. But, "copy" implies intent. If I sat down to write a story and said "I'm going to pull heavily from Mass Effect", then it doesn't matter where the tropes originated, my story is still copied from Mass Effect. Also, I can't knowingly copy something I'm not aware of, so if all I know is Mass Effect, then I'm copying Mass Effect.

Not that either of you were in the writers' rooms when they decided the story they were going to write, so neither of you can speak definitively to their intent anyway. What we can know is what we can see, and since Mass Effect is the biggest recent pop culture phenomenon to involve galaxy-purging AI nightmares, it's not unthinkable they may have been inspired by it - but again, we can't really *know* that, just assume from what we see. They may well have pulled from other examples primarily and it just happened to resemble Mass Effect in the end.
  • voodoopokeyvoodoopokey Member Posts: 244 Arc User
    I wish people found it as tiresome to complain about the recent CBS star trek series as it is to listen to them repeat those complaints over and over and over any time a thread on any related forum even brushes against those shows.

It is clear from the fact that these shows not just get additional seasons but also split into new shows faster than tribbles that nobody of any relevance cares that you don't like them. Don't watch them if you don't like them, but don't let your desperate FOMO force you to jump into every conversation to TRIBBLE and moan about them.

Ships that get any focused screen time or any significant mention in season three of Discovery are going to show up in STO.. this isn't even a debate - you know they will. That'll happen even if you fill 60 pages of every thread with your disdain for the show.

Personally, I'm pretty enthused about them showing a bunch of future federation ships - I love when they produce content that will make its way to STO in the form of new ships and new equipment. My eyes did not bleed when, in the past, they introduced species and ships that had never appeared on screen (eg tzenkethi... hurq... etc) and they ended up being some nice looking and effective ships. I hope they're hard at work throwing new things together for STO - the two episodes of s3 have given them as much stuff to implement as the entire Picard series did, and the seasons is just getting started.
    if they do add the 32nd century ship(s) they just better not be promo ships its getting annoying really fast!
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    > @somtaawkhar said:
    > (Quote)
    > This was never established in canon at any point. And, in fact, we see dilthium mines on Remus, and are told they use dilthium in smaller vessels like the scorpion fighters.

TNG, shows that they don't have warp cores, and the ship is powered by a singularity, i don't remember the name of the chapter.. i think is the one that Geordi and Ro are phased??..
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    gaevsman wrote: »
    TNG, shows that they don't have warp cores, and the ship is powered by a singularity, i don't remember the name of the chapter.. i think is the one that Geordi and Ro are phased??..
    The singularity replaces the matter/anti-matter part of a warp core. There is no statement that dilthium isn't used to regulate power of the singularity.

Nor a statement that it is.
  • truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    shpoks wrote: »

(Raises finger.... then quietly looks down)

52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,214 Arc User
    The singularity replaces the matter/anti-matter part of a warp core. There is no statement that dilthium isn't used to regulate power of the singularity.
    It's NOTHING like any other Trek .
    Except DS9.

Dilithium is used to contain the Matter Antimatter reaction because when energy flows through it it becomes immune to the effects antimatter has on normal matter. This was established in TNG

There is absolutely nothing that suggests Dilithium has ANY use in singularity cores, because the thing generating the power is in fact a singularity.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    Had no idea the new season had even started. And already up to episode 3. Hmm, interesting. I'll have to watch the new season, eventually.

As for the ships shown, they look generic and meh to me. Sorta like the ship from the last episode of Picard that Riker was commanding. Forget the name/class and don't care enough to even look it up.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
    It's NOTHING like any other Trek show and it sure as hell does not suffer from Discovery's biggest flaw, one it shares with many prequels: changing the past for the sake of changing the past.
    Please be as clear as humanly possible with your answer here, but what events did Discovery actually change that haven't been explained?

Elements such as Spock having a sister he never spoke of? Explained. Spore technology not used for Voyager? Explained. Klingons looking different? Can be explained away if you're open enough. The size, space, and feel of the Enterprise? It's a modern take on a dated design, thus explained. I could go on and on, but what past events have actually been changed during Discovery's first and second seasons?

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,015 Community Moderator
    Elements such as Spock having a sister he never spoke of? Explained.

In more ways than one even. Spock has a history of being secretive about his family. His best friend Kirk never knew Sarek was Spock's father until they met aboard Enterprise. No one knew about Sybok unil ST5, and even then Spock was QUITE SPECIFIC in his wording.
    ST5 wrote:
    Spock: You ordered me to kill my brother.
    James T. Kirk: The man may be a fellow Vulcan, but that doesn't mean...
    Spock: No, you do not understand. Sybok is also a son of Sarek.
    James T. Kirk: You mean he's your brother brother? (Spock looks at him quizzically) You made that up!
    Spock: I did not.
    James T. Kirk: You did too. Sybok couldn't possible be your brother because I happen to know for a fact that you don't have a brother.
    Spock: Technically, you are correct. I do not have a brother.
    James T. Kirk: There, you see...
    Spock: I have a half-brother.

James T. Kirk: [exasperated]I gotta sit down.]

So it is perfectly in character for Spock to deny he ever had a sister. Technically... he did not have a sister. He had an Adopted Sister.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    Well, it should not affect romulans, singularity cores does not use dilithium
    This was never established in canon at any point. And, in fact, we see dilthium mines on Remus, and are told they use dilthium in smaller vessels like the scorpion fighters.
    > @phoenixc#0738 said:
    > (Quote)
    >

Disappointed at the haters? Join the club, TOS fans have dealt with TOS haters for forty years, and it has only gotten worse as time passed. Of course the fanbase was not quite as fractured as it is today after Moonves deliberately cranked up the heat to get free advertising from the flamewars, the "hate" was more a smug contempt for the '60s production values than the knee-jerk bile spewed by the most rabid and vocal of members of the various Trek fan factions today.

If Trek does get completely torn apart that can be laid on Moonves's doorstep. There has always been conflict in the fanbase, anytime you get nerds and adrenalin junkies together there is bound to be friction, but left to their own devices the fanbase has always worked things out in the long run. It was a first with DSC where the network has deliberately set out to offend a section of the fanbase and set the factions at each other throats.

And the old core fans DON'T want "more of the same", they just want anything new to respect what came before and fit in to a reasonable degree. There is absolutely nothing from DSC that could not have been done in a way that was compatible with the rest of Trek, the DSC producers simply could not be bothered with even trying.

That does not mean repeating old storylines (though it seems almost every Trek series has done that to some degree anyway), setting things up for 1960s cameras and low-res TV screens or any other weird ideas the people complaining about TOS have. It means taking into account the situations and at least some of the aesthetics (and there is no reason they would not be able to mix the original googie with the current art deco, or use the "relaxed comfortable" look of the original uniforms) and doing scripts with some depth to them, not the gee-wiz shallow stuff they are doing now. Seriously, some of the TOS episodes had as much depth in just an hour as DSC and PIC have in an entire season.

Now, that said, DSC is not horrible compared to other recent sci-fi shows, in fact it is actually rather good if you don't expect it to be Trek, and be more like Dark Matter, Killjoys, and the rest.
    It's NOTHING like any other Trek .
    Except DS9.

Except that there is technobabble in the series that states that dilithium's use is to regulate antimatter in the warp cores. Without matter/antimatter reactions the singularity drives would have no need of dilithium crystals. I suspect the main use the Romulans have for dilithium internally would be M/AM reactors for planetary and station use, perhaps backup generators for ships in the same way the Federation uses fusion reactors, and possibly for the plasma torpedo launchers as they are presumably a form of warp plasma since they can exceed lightspeed.

From what little I have seen of PIC, it does not resemble DS9 much at all except for the fact that Fed counterintelligence sucks at uncovering infiltrators and imposters. The DSC Federation almost feels like a parody of the one from past series. While deconstructions can be good they take a very deft hand to pull off well, and Kurtzman's action-and-eyecandy bunch don't have one.

• ucgsquawk#5883 ucgsquawk Member Posts: 279 Arc User
    > @phoenixc#0738 said:
    > (Quote)
    >

oh ik a lot of people like the show as well, but i see like every day msg on how Discovery is trash or what ever their trolling opinion is, and if you disagree with them and like the show they go off on you, as seen in this thread lol

overall, yes everyone has a right to their opinion but not liking star trek, even if they messed up on season one and not giving it just a small chance is not being very "trekkie".

p.s. most people who hate discovery hate new things and fall back on to the crappy answer," TNG was the bestest evear" LOL

I have to ask this - why is it whenever someone says they don't like discovery you people come out with this TRIBBLE about them being "haters" and then become insulting with nonsense about them not liking new things or this misspelled words quotes you always use? I assume that by misspelling something you are attempting to portray others as being less intelligent for their choices?

I do not like Discovery - I find it to be a poorly written, poorly acted and poorly thought out show. They had every opportunity to keep it to the ongoing continuity with the smallest of changes but decided that they would be new and edgy, and then everyone who doesn't like it is just because they're old fans who can't stand change.

Just because they CAN rewrite things doesn't mean they have to. They could have easily respected what has come before while doing something new. I think it would be better written to take place after Nemesis as it would make so much more sense story wise but it almost feels like they really wanted to deliberately re-write things...that's purely IMHO of course, but it is a feeling I get from watching the show.

Admittedly I think Pike was good in the second season...it's had a few moments that were actually well done...a few good actors - I liked a few of the different actors like Lorca and a few of them in the second season. I don't think the main character is very good...I think she potentially COULD be good maybe, but I don't think her part is well written.

I very much enjoyed Picard, I think the acting was fairly good and the story well done...though with a few of the more obvious things seeming a bit silly to me (the space flowers I thought were a bit silly but *meh*).

I REALLY enjoyed Lower Decks...I think that show was very humorous and well done while poking fun at a lot of the memes and history. I would happily watch more of this show.

There are so many things that just don't make sense with Discovery that if you let yourself be a bit open you can see why some of the more die-hard fans who love ST would take issue with it...it's messing with an era that is one of the most beloved in fandom for no more reason than they could.

I don't like Discovery, BUT I'm glad that it's there for people who do like it...more power to you if you do. Just please stop with the hating on people who don't like it. Yes some who don't like it are very vocal, but just as often defenders of the show turn nasty and insulting with their attitudes towards them - it's a two-way street.

Let's just accept the fact that there are a lot of people who like the show and there are equally a lot of people who don't like it. NO ONE has any solid numbers or way of knowing which side is bigger and it doesn't matter...who cares...there's a show you like, don't TRIBBLE on people who don't like it, and certainly don't come down on others who want something different from it.

As to the ships in the picture...I don't know it's hard to tell other than the Lukari one but they look very odd...I think it will be much better when(if?) they show a surviving one in the show...hopefully some good designs survived as I was never a fan of the future enterprise...it's design just did not make much sense (I studied physics and worked some as a field engineer so this is just one of those personal *argh* moments seeing that ship, that's all - no hate on those who like it...it IS big). Almost certainly another lockbox Federation ship for the year of the Klingon ;-)

• ucgsquawk#5883 ucgsquawk Member Posts: 279 Arc User
    Is it just me...or is the ship just left around the center...it looks a bit like the Prometheus in design?
    Four nacelles and triangular primary hull. Might just be a general look but I think it is.
    I count about 5 or 6 new ships there in total.
This discussion has been closed.