test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Not a fan of the new Sythn wave TFO

Comments

• gilleylen#2528 gilleylen Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    Any news what the Christmas ship is anyway?
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    One more day for me to go and then the reward is in.

How much do you folks have on the counter?
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Today and two more as I fell a day behind. I've done this exclusively on one Character who uses a Mega Grav Well Legendary Intrepid. Love the dozens of Critical Hit fly bys.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,165 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    reyan01 wrote: »
    An unpopular opinion, but going to state it nonetheless: whilst the quality/enjoyability of the currently active event is definitely polarising opinion (although seems mostly negative) I feel that the 'I want something for nothing' attitude of some players is part of the issue here.

I mean, I can't but feel that some people are only happy when the events are:
    - Stupidly short and preposterously easy (Crystaline for example)
    or
    - Support AFK'ing the whole thing

It does seem that any time that those criterion are not met, we get widespread displeasure.
    There does seem to be some of that. What I want to see is back to the days of allowing Advanced and Elite runs count for the Event. Gives us more reasons to run the event and more variety and more of us run would run new TFO more often. I can run the mission on Elite with friends. So why can I not run the TFO on Elite with friends? If they have to make it private runs only so the bulk of players press join and get normal that's ok. Leaving those of us with a group of friends we are used to working with, having more fun options.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    An unpopular opinion, but going to state it nonetheless: whilst the quality/enjoyability of the currently active event is definitely polarising opinion (although seems mostly negative) I feel that the 'I want something for nothing' attitude of some players is part of the issue here.

or

It does seem that any time that those criterion are not met, we get widespread displeasure.

Saying that, this doesn't only apply to events. Gateway to Grethor Advanced earier - two players bailed early into the instance; presumably either got their kill X ships Endeavour and didn't bother staying, or queued random and were too lazy to stay. Same thing happened on an instance of Phavo ground.

I will offer my opinion, though I know there is little point. There is a middle ground that many of us want and that's something that is neither of those options. Something that is new but not structured with the exact same time wasting mechanics that we have complained about in numerous other threads for years. I don't mind having to play a TFO 20 times.. what I mind is having to play THIS PARTICULAR TFO 20 times.

If they made the exact same thing only without the pointless time gates, something where if you rescued people fast enough it just advanced.. you wouldn't see half this many complaints. As long as they keep putting in time wasting mechanics that do nothing but cause us to sit there powerless to change anything, we will continue to complain about it. Of course, Cryptic will continue to ignore us.. but we keep trying none the less.

Now, queuing up for something like Gre'thor, getting your Endeavor and bailing.. that's indefensible. I have had to play queues before for endeavors (if I didn't want to burn a re-roll) and to me that just always meant I had to play the entire queue. That behavior cannot be defended at all.

Insert witty signature line here.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    Any news what the Christmas ship is anyway?
    No official news.

However, Cryptic's facebook did recently post an updated model/texture for the Luna class ship. And Kael mentioned on a Priority One Podcast interview that they had a surprise for us in a few months(around Christmas) that he couldn't talk about then becuase it would spoil the last episode of Lower Decks, which hadn't come out at that point. And what did we see in the final episode of Lower Decks? The Luna.

that may not be the Christmas ship, since the Luna is already in-game as a Zen ship, but its at least coming out around then.
    ltminns wrote: »
    Since we run round the clock Events, what could possibly fill in between 'The Widening Gyre' and 'Winter Wonderland'
    Breach, Crystalline Entity, Pahvo Dissension, Sompek, Kobiyashi Maru, Battle at the Binary Stars, Best Served Cold, Mycelial Realm. I mean, yeah, they could bring out a revamped Mirror Event, but there is a litany of other events they got on repeat.

I too think that could be Mirror, we havent got one in a long time...
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    There are still one or two Fek'iri ships left that they could do too, if they stick with the trend of the last few years.
    Have to admit am looking forward to the completion reward though - 'on paper' it looks as if it'll be a great set for Science ships.
    Its good to see Sci get something given they have traditionally been the most screwed over of the three careers

*glares at like half the T5 missing T6s being sci ships*

I think this is a set for the new Luna.. but i could be wrong

or

Saying that, this doesn't only apply to events. Gateway to Grethor Advanced earier - two players bailed early into the instance; presumably either got their kill X ships Endeavour and didn't bother staying, or queued random and were too lazy to stay. Same thing happened on an instance of Phavo ground.

I will offer my opinion, though I know there is little point. There is a middle ground that many of us want and that's something that is neither of those options. Something that is new but not structured with the exact same time wasting mechanics that we have complained about in numerous other threads for years. I don't mind having to play a TFO 20 times.. what I mind is having to play THIS PARTICULAR TFO 20 times.

If they made the exact same thing only without the pointless time gates, something where if you rescued people fast enough it just advanced.. you wouldn't see half this many complaints. As long as they keep putting in time wasting mechanics that do nothing but cause us to sit there powerless to change anything, we will continue to complain about it. Of course, Cryptic will continue to ignore us.. but we keep trying none the less.

Now, queuing up for something like Gre'thor, getting your Endeavor and bailing.. that's indefensible. I have had to play queues before for endeavors (if I didn't want to burn a re-roll) and to me that just always meant I had to play the entire queue. That behavior cannot be defended at all.

Yeah, i get your point it's like an inverse version of Sompek, that a lot of us like, because we want to see how far we can go... it would be nice to be able to influence the TFO, shortening the duration if we do everythig right.. or including some ramdomness to it, so we dont know what to expect..
  • lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    Have to admit am looking forward to the completion reward though - 'on paper' it looks as if it'll be a great set for Science ships.
    Its good to see Sci get something given they have traditionally been the most screwed over of the three careers

*glares at like half the T5 missing T6s being sci ships*

I got to agree on that one. Part of the problem, I guess, was that every livestream a non tac ship was showcased by kael, there was a good number of people complaining its not a tac ship. I personally like mostly my engineers and my science toons. For sci ships I had been holding out on getting the Dyson ships but to joke a bit, I think they will be looked upon way after Nova is released. I mean its possible Cryptic doesnt plan to ever make T6 of them and a big reason might its a 9 ship pack - so more work for them even though I believe they could just make 1 version per faction making it to 3 instead 9 ships for T6
    Post edited by lordmerc22 on
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User

or

Is it too much to ask for something maybe... fun and a lot less repetitive?! I am not too sure how many remember the original Starbase 24 mission or even the original STF's. They all contained a space and ground component. Yeah, I am aware that a lot of people that play STO hate ground but ground stuff really isn't that difficult with a little bit of thought.

Bug Hunt or Infected Space Advanced are a great examples of what seems to be the right amount of time for a mission that PWE expects me to repeat daily for the better part of a month. Back to the original Starbase 24 though, which had a space and ground component. Both were relatively painless but still fun in my opinion. When PWE comes up with a mission for these TFO's and event grinds, they seem to think that repeating the same thing over and over, and over, and over, and over, and OVER again is the solution over making something fun, story driven, and doesn't feel repetitive. Then you also have the reward for that time spent. Starbase 24, the original, was a farmfest for vendor trash, which isn't too bad. We all need more EC. :P The original STF's had rewards, which at the time, were some of the best gear in the game. That is worth the effort, encouraged teaming (at least for my fleets), and were well-rounded in the objectives, challenge, and aspects of both space and ground.

I understand that what I find fun might not be what some others might find fun, but appealing to various types of people over each year in how these events are structured and designed, might help some of us at least look forward to some of these grinds instead of loathing the same repetitive grind that hides under a different name every month or so.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    > @jcsww said:
    > (Quote)
    > Bug Hunt or Infected Space Advanced are a great examples of what seems to be the right amount of time for a mission that PWE expects me to repeat daily for the better part of a month.

For sure! :)

What makes them so great is that both of their outcome reflect the progression level a player of STO has achieved perfectly. Your build matters, your team matters, your experience matters. Oh and if you afk, these maps will never conclude. If you know that such maps would await you in future events one would have a solid reason to progress further and to prepare yourself better.

Sadly for events cryptic feels we need the exact opposite. No build, no team, no experience and of course auto conclusion to give every level of incompetence that logs into game a chance. Even if their metric would judge them right they could at least offer harder difficulty settings for those who’d bother.

Perhaps if Synth Wave would require us to at least slot an impulse engine on our ships things would not be as idiotic as they are. But hey, we don‘t need it. :D
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Completed the mind numbingly dull event today having multiboxed my accounts through it. I had a personal rule where I don't multibox for content group but with the slow, plodding timegatey boredom of this TFO that got broken after the first day. Even as a 14 day event there's just nothing fun or challenging within the mission to encourage me into running it more than once a day but no by some insanity this was deemed good enough for a 20 day slog through the mire of barrel scrapings.

The set might get used on alts but for the clicky part it's just not worth it, comparitively little damage done during its short 8 second lifespan with a 4 minute cooldown (tip claims 3 but timer showed me as 4) while visually it's just another large bright blob to join every other large blob filling the screen, although thankfully not as obnoxiously bad as the bacon of kahless whiteout or the massive purple triple vortices.
    > @jcsww said:
    > (Quote)
    > Bug Hunt or Infected Space Advanced are a great examples of what seems to be the right amount of time for a mission that PWE expects me to repeat daily for the better part of a month.

For sure! :)

What makes them so great is that both of their outcome reflect the progression level a player of STO has achieved perfectly. Your build matters, your team matters, your experience matters. Oh and if you afk, these maps will never conclude. If you know that such maps would await you in future events one would have a solid reason to progress further and to prepare yourself better.

Sadly for events cryptic feels we need the exact opposite. No build, no team, no experience and of course auto conclusion to give every level of incompetence that logs into game a chance. Even if their metric would judge them right they could at least offer harder difficulty settings for those who’d bother.

Perhaps if Synth Wave would require us to at least slot an impulse engine on our ships things would not be as idiotic as they are. But hey, we don‘t need it. :D
    Along with HSE. Personally I always like the Swarm as well.
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »

Two more days since I was busy one day.

Same.

It does. Unfortunately, there's already a problem: the warp core, when upgraded to epic, doesn't have 5 mods, but only 3. And cannot be re-engineered - I'm not sure what's the mods status on UR.
    I've seen it likend a few times, and it's apparently missing the standard W->S in favour of A->W. No AMP, either.
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User

Same.

It does. Unfortunately, there's already a problem: the warp core, when upgraded to epic, doesn't have 5 mods, but only 3. And cannot be re-engineered - I'm not sure what's the mods status on UR.
    I've seen it likend a few times, and it's apparently missing the standard W->S in favour of A->W. No AMP, either.

Hopefully the not gaining any more mods thing is a bug that they will fix, though I would not hold my breath waiting.
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    Completed the mind numbingly dull event today having multiboxed my accounts through it. I had a personal rule where I don't multibox for content group but with the slow, plodding timegatey boredom of this TFO that got broken after the first day. Even as a 14 day event there's just nothing fun or challenging within the mission to encourage me into running it more than once a day but no by some insanity this was deemed good enough for a 20 day slog through the mire of barrel scrapings.

The set might get used on alts but for the clicky part it's just not worth it, comparitively little damage done during its short 8 second lifespan with a 4 minute cooldown (tip claims 3 but timer showed me as 4) while visually it's just another large bright blob to join every other large blob filling the screen, although thankfully not as obnoxiously bad as the bacon of kahless whiteout or the massive purple triple vortices.

Go back further! There was Borg Space and for completing each of the 3 main STF's, Infected, The Cure, and Kithomer Accord. Each of the 3 had space and ground elements and you were rewarded with a different piece of the Borg Space Set for completing each STF. They were long if you had no idea what you were doing and pre-made teams were the best way to go, but they had story, challenge, and a decent reward. Once you had the complete set, you didn't really need to run them again other than for fun or to obtain another Borg Space Set. There was another STF, Terradrome or something like that. I only ever completed it a handful of times, because it was so darn broken. Luck was the only guarantee of getting through it. :P

The boss battles felt like they were boss battles! They required strategy, co-ordination, and some dedicated time to complete. Not for everyone, but before they were removed, butchered, ruined, and butchered again and again, and again. I enjoyed running them with fleetmates and others from the old STF chat channels, because you had to learn how to successfully beat them and you felt like you accomplished something epic against a worthy enemy.
    edited October 2020
    > @pottsey5g said:
    > (Quote)
    > Along with HSE. Personally I always like the Swarm as well.

Of course. Both are cool and would be suited for events. :)

HSE runs often in channels, sadly swarm not so much. If you like we wait for Sea and Kyle to be on the same time we are and set it up for elite then.
    animated.gif
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User

Same.

Hopefully the not gaining any more mods thing is a bug that they will fix, though I would not hold my breath waiting.

That's what I'm hoping, too, because as you said 'on paper' it looks great for SCI builds - would go spectacularly well with the one I'm working on right now, for example.
    I mean, I can get behind it if the decision to not allow it to be re-engineered was actually a decions and not a bug, but 3 mods instead of 5 on an epic... meh.
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
    Just finished my last run of this TFO. By “last run,” I mean last one.. ever.

I’m so glad I never have to run this horrendous queue ever again. I normally do the extra days for the bonus dilithium but not this time.
    edited October 2020
    > @seaofsorrows said:
    > Just finished my last run of this TFO. By “last run,” I mean last one.. ever.
    >
    > I’m so glad I never have to run this horrendous queue ever again. I normally do the extra days for the bonus dilithium but not this time.

Oh congratulations Sea! B)

Kyle of course missed out 2 days. I think everybody will understand that doing extra runs in such a case is not covered by a 30 years old friendship. :D
    animated.gif
    My last run was a PUG run and everyone was celebrating at the end because it was the last one for all of us. :lol:
    > @pottsey5g said:
    > (Quote)
    > Along with HSE. Personally I always like the Swarm as well.

Of course. Both are cool and would be suited for events. :)

HSE runs often in channels, sadly swarm not so much. If you like we wait for Sea and Kyle to be on the same time we are and set it up for elite then.
    HSE has been aright I managed to get into a few fun runs. But the others like Swarm just dont pop up. Would be great to run Elite Swarm with everyone again if I can get my timings better. My active playtime is all over the place at the moment. Most of the time I am AFK crafting.
This discussion has been closed.