test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why is Inertia good?

smi3thsmi3th Member Posts: 211 Arc User
I've seen somewhere that inertia is favorable for things like Tour the galaxy, but I don't really understand why.

I have the caitian comand carrier which seems to have a lot and mainly it means that I tend to overshoot things, which I suppose I just have to get used to flying something like that.

Some people have said that inertia is good and I'm curious how it can be used positively.

Comments

• foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    I have no idea how inertia would affect you in tour the galaxy. I usually just use my Maquis raider for that due to the ridiculously long slipstream duration and short cooldown it has.

Low inertia on the big ships is what makes you drift and have trouble stopping. Whether you can use that to good effect or not is up to you, but it can be used as a sort of free version of lock trajectory.
  • xividaxxividax Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    Higher inertia rating reduces drift when you turn. Even a small boost, like +5 inertia will allow your ship to make slightly tighter turns. Higher inertia also helps your ship stop quickly, which is helpful in certain situations, like the current Synth event.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    Inertia does nothing at Warp or in Slipstream, so it has no effect on Tour the Galaxy. There are Impulse Engines that also grant benefits at Warp or Slipstream, but your ships base Inertia stat is not calculated at warp.

It is very useful at impulse though, especially in ships where you want to stop quickly and resume flight. Ships with lower (worse) inertia ratings are the ones that 'powerslide' past your target. If you're using all single beams, it's not a huge issue, but if you have a front facing build it's very bad.
    Insert witty signature line here.