test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Livestream with Cryptic QA on Friday.

124

Comments

  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 2,177 Arc User
    edited October 19
    All the evidence, including the name itself, point to ViL being a very limited arc with the focus on Odo's expeditionary force mixed with a few other DS9 (and Klingon) odds and ends. The devs took the limited concept as far as it would reasonably go. People thinking it was cut short are thinking of it as an actual Dominion faction-expansion when it really isn't, it was only a minimal framework for the Jem'Hadar as STO's endgame-start character class (similar to other games like Tera with their Reaper class). Why would they do that? The reasons are actually quite understandable.

    Making an endgame start character (which was looking like it would be the next big thing in gaming back then) in STO has the problem that a lot of players are fans and the Star Trek fanbase is (or at least was) very much sticklers for continuity. All it takes is to look in these forums for the Cardassians to see how much grief and trouble there is bringing out what was a significant faction in the shows as just an bare race and some their ships (even with the fact that Cardassians are a Federation protectorate). And the best race for the endgame-starting fad is the three-day-to-combat-ready, pre-programed with combat skills meat droids of the Dominion, the Jem'Hadar, which comes with the baggage of not belonging to one of the other three factions in any way.

    The thing is, after the Romulan demi-faction the devs said on numerous occasions that they were not going to make another faction because it was just too much effort for the return, and that probably did not change even though they needed to in order for their endgame-starter race to work.

    So their solution was to make a number of Hur'q episodes with the focus switched to Gamma instead of Beta (they are traditionally a Klingon enemy in Trek and may even have been ideas for a YotK-like season originally), and with supporting threads like the Kahless one (like the excellently plotted and written Quark's Lucky Seven), and slap together the minimum subset of the Dominion possible (Quark's Expeditionary Force) on a stripped to the bone subset of the Romulan framework code.

    The Dominion and Gamma quadrant are just a backdrop, even the Jem'Hadar PCs are based in Alpha, not Gamma. Even the "Gamma Quadrant" map is nothing but a weird battlezone combining Gon'cra style minigames with TFO style instancing (essentially the worst of both).

    That worked well enough to get the endgame-starting character class in but it turns out it also amplified the problem of players wanting to actually explore the STO setting with Dominion characters set up as they are shown in DS9 and not just Odo's private army.

    As for the First Federation, if Balok is anything to go by they are too naturally gregarious and curious to be as fortified as they are shown without something external driving that behavior. Even a 30th century Starfleet is unlikely to seize ships at their border with automated defenses that default to deadly force if escape is attempted and hold them for days until a ship meanders out to check on them and subject the captives to mind games to determine their "real" intentions. They are more likely to just block their path and let them go if they turn around and leave or even if they just peacefully back up and wait outside the line.

    The fact that the First Federation defenses are so extreme implies a reaction to a great threat, especially with their higher technology, and that can make for interesting episodes or even a full seasonal arc should the devs run out of ideas for other parts of the game.
  • somtaawkharsomtaawkhar Member Posts: 8,259 Arc User
    edited October 19
    So their solution was to make a number of Hur'q episodes with the focus switched to Gamma instead of Beta (they are traditionally a Klingon enemy in Trek and may even have been ideas for a YotK-like season originally), and with supporting threads like the Kahless one (like the excellently plotted and written Quark's Lucky Seven), and slap together the minimum subset of the Dominion possible (Quark's Expeditionary Force) on a stripped to the bone subset of the Romulan framework code.
    The whole point of the "Sword of Kahless" episode of DS9 was that the Hur'q were from the Gamma Quadrant, and took their stolen goods back there.

    StarTrek.com even speculates the Hur'q knew about, and used, the Bajoran wormhole. The wormhole was apparently open back then, which is something Voyager also suggested with the CHAH-mooz-ee symbol used by the "Sky Spirits" that visited Chakotay's people in the past. The designer of said symbol pointed out its supposed to be a map of the galaxy, with the path the Sky Spirits took from the Delta Quadrant to Earth, as well as the Bajoran Wormhole's path from the Alpha quadrant to the Gamma Quadrant, being shown. Showing the Sky Spirits knew about its existence back then as well.

    They didn't switch the focus of the Hur'q from the Beta Quadrant to the Gamma Quadrant. The Hur'q were canonally a Gamma Quadrant species as per DS9.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 2,177 Arc User
    So their solution was to make a number of Hur'q episodes with the focus switched to Gamma instead of Beta (they are traditionally a Klingon enemy in Trek and may even have been ideas for a YotK-like season originally), and with supporting threads like the Kahless one (like the excellently plotted and written Quark's Lucky Seven), and slap together the minimum subset of the Dominion possible (Quark's Expeditionary Force) on a stripped to the bone subset of the Romulan framework code.
    The whole point of the "Sword of Kahless" episode of DS9 was that the Hur'q were from the Gamma Quadrant, and took their stolen goods back there.

    StarTrek.com even speculates the Hur'q knew about, and used, the Bajoran wormhole. The wormhole was apparently open back then, which is something Voyager also suggested with the CHAH-mooz-ee symbol used by the "Sky Spirits" that visited Chakotay's people in the past. The designer of said symbol pointed out its supposed to be a map of the galaxy, with the path the Sky Spirits took from the Delta Quadrant to Earth, as well as the Bajoran Wormhole's path from the Alpha quadrant to the Gamma Quadrant, being shown. Showing the Sky Spirits knew about its existence back then as well.

    They didn't switch the focus of the Hur'q from the Beta Quadrant to the Gamma Quadrant. The Hur'q were canonally a Gamma Quadrant species as per DS9.

    They come from Gamma but the focus was always intertwined with the Klingons in the 14th century conflict before, even in the DS9 episode where the sword was found. It was STO who took the logical step and tied them with the Dominion.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 52,144 Arc User
    I've also seen people say, not just in STO but in other games, that they skip all the dialog... but then turn around and complain about not knowing whats going on.

    I actually KNOW someone like that who tried FF14. He's actually convinced that the Garlean Empire, the primary antagonist of the game, is actually the good guys and the player is a Terrorist fighting against Law and Order. He even wanted to JOIN the Garleans, but can't because story reasons. He doesn't know all the bad things the Garleans had done, or... well... anything. He always skipped the cutscenes and probably skipped the dialog to get to the action, and then wondered why we're so against the Garleans and trying to convince him that the Garleans are actually evil.
    Oh... well... if you had WATCHED THE CUTSCENES and read the dialog you would know.
    66998372863950ee98cf7da9786e2ea9-db80k0m.png
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out a Delta Pack, Temporal Pack, and Gamma Pack
    The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • somtaawkharsomtaawkhar Member Posts: 8,259 Arc User
    edited October 19
    They come from Gamma but the focus was always intertwined with the Klingons in the 14th century conflict before, even in the DS9 episode where the sword was found. It was STO who took the logical step and tied them with the Dominion.
    Well sure, but that still isn't shifting the focus of the Hur'q.

    The focus of the Hur'q was the GQ. That is where they came from, that is where they went back to after attacking the Klingons, that is where Worf and Kor had to go to get the sword back, and that is were they should come from again, since that is where they are from in the first place.

    The Hur'q are also the only really interesting species in the GQ outside of the "Dominion Three". I don't think Cryptic could have done a GQ story without them since we already had a Dominion story with the 2800, and none of the other GQ races are really in a spot to be an issue.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 52,144 Arc User
    The main issue with the Gamma Quadrant is that there really is only one superpower that we know of. The Dominion. And we can't really explore farther because we'd have to go through the Dominion to do it. And they've ruled the Gamma Quadrant for 2000 years. So they're pretty dang BIG.
    66998372863950ee98cf7da9786e2ea9-db80k0m.png
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out a Delta Pack, Temporal Pack, and Gamma Pack
    The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • somtaawkharsomtaawkhar Member Posts: 8,259 Arc User
    edited October 19
    rattler2 wrote: »
    The main issue with the Gamma Quadrant is that there really is only one superpower that we know of. The Dominion. And we can't really explore farther because we'd have to go through the Dominion to do it. And they've ruled the Gamma Quadrant for 2000 years. So they're pretty dang BIG.
    Yep.

    The Federation had explored nearly 20% of the galaxy in 250ish years, according to early TNG. The Dominion had almost certainly done the same in its 2,000 year existence, and was likely only prevented from expanding further due to the fact that traditional warp travel, even at warp 9.99(the speed of a Borg Cube at warp, and the fastest you can go before turning into a salamander) is just too slow to ever reach outside that kind of bubble.

    This is also likely why we saw such a drastic change in the Federation's mission between TOS, and TNG. In TOS, space was treated like the wild west. While the Federation was big, and knew of its biggest competitors(the Klingons and Romulans), they were still tripping over new alien species left, and right, because space was so unexplored. In TNG, the Enterprise is sent almost exclusivity on political handshaking missions with races that have been known about for years, if not decades. Them finding totally new life was a much rarer occurrence. In Voyager's 7th season, its mentioned that Janeway has become the first person ever to break Kirk's record for number of first contacts. A feat attributed as only being possible due to being stuck in the totally unexplored Delta Quadrant for 7 years. This means that even someone like Picard, who had been a captain for at least 36 years at that point(14 with the Enterprise, and 22 with the Stargazer), with another possible 9 years of captaincy between the Stargazer and Enterprise(for a total of 45 years), hadn't reached that level. The golden age of exploration was long over for the Federation by TNG, and had likely been the same for the Dominion for over 1,000 years.

    The Dominion however was much bigger then the Federation because they didn't tolerate competition. So while the Federation shared that 20% of the galaxy with the Klingons, Romulans, Cardassians, Tholians, and Breen, among others, the Dominion had annihilated all opposing factions of significance, and had swallowed up all that territory. The Dominion is BIG, BAD, and MEAN.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 2,177 Arc User
    edited October 20
    rattler2 wrote: »
    The main issue with the Gamma Quadrant is that there really is only one superpower that we know of. The Dominion. And we can't really explore farther because we'd have to go through the Dominion to do it. And they've ruled the Gamma Quadrant for 2000 years. So they're pretty dang BIG.

    True, the Dominion is probably quite sizable compared to the Alpha/Beta factions but a quadrant is an unimaginably large place so there is almost certainly civilizations and whatnot even the Dominion does not know about. And quite possibly some they do but in order to seem more invincible to the Alpha/Beta factions keep that fact from them so they look like the only game in town.

    Also, 2000 years does not guarantee they would expand that much, look at how long the Klingons, the First Federation, the Orions, and others have been around and in space compared to the new Federation and the sizes of the territories they occupy. The Dominion seems to put the highest priority on keeping things orderly and the Founders safe, it seems quite likely that they would keep a very large safe zone centered on the link homeworld and ignore things beyond that distance if they do not threaten them in some way, and therefore only expand very slowly.

    The only way it is a problem is that there are no ready-made other factions out there because DS9 did not require them for the war story they were setting up, and that is as much an advantage as it is a problem. Or at least it is an opportunity if CBS is not blocking STO from creating any others in Gamma.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 2,704 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I've also seen people say, not just in STO but in other games, that they skip all the dialog... but then turn around and complain about not knowing whats going on.

    I actually KNOW someone like that who tried FF14. He's actually convinced that the Garlean Empire, the primary antagonist of the game, is actually the good guys and the player is a Terrorist fighting against Law and Order. He even wanted to JOIN the Garleans, but can't because story reasons. He doesn't know all the bad things the Garleans had done, or... well... anything. He always skipped the cutscenes and probably skipped the dialog to get to the action, and then wondered why we're so against the Garleans and trying to convince him that the Garleans are actually evil.
    Oh... well... if you had WATCHED THE CUTSCENES and read the dialog you would know.

    That person must be really obsessed with getting to the action since it doesn't take much to show that a)Garleans aren't exactly the nicest people around b)that Eorzean powers are independent from the Garlean Empire, honestly sounds like this guy might have issues seeing why Garleans are evil even if he did watch the cutscenes.

    I mean WoW has people who side with Sylvanas Windrunner even after the Burning of Teldrassil that killed thousands of civilians.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 2,704 Arc User
    As for the Gamma Quadrant while we don't know the exact size of the Dominion it's not likely there's that many "threat to the alliance" level threats left there as the dominion would not want to leave those around if it could be avoided. Sure you might have minor powers here and there but not in a way that would make a good storyline for STO.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 2,177 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »
    As for the Gamma Quadrant while we don't know the exact size of the Dominion it's not likely there's that many "threat to the alliance" level threats left there as the dominion would not want to leave those around if it could be avoided. Sure you might have minor powers here and there but not in a way that would make a good storyline for STO.

    It does not take a huge empire to make a lot of trouble, just take a look at the ruckus one rogue fleet with a mushroom gun on the flagship did so far. And the right mix of a number of unrelated incidents can go a long way too, especially since the Undine and Iconian stuff has players suspecting anything done has hidden masterminds manipulating it from the shadows even when there isn't.

    In fact, if the Founders actually carry though with the changes they promised at ending of ViL that is change enough for plenty of scenarios and episodes to happen during the flux as Dominion society finds its new footing and renegotiates relations with the civilizations they previously crushed. That is especially true now that the Founders don't have their Hur'q ace in the hole to play the false savior game, and those who it was used on in the past realize they were had.
  • somtaawkharsomtaawkhar Member Posts: 8,259 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »
    As for the Gamma Quadrant while we don't know the exact size of the Dominion it's not likely there's that many "threat to the alliance" level threats left there as the dominion would not want to leave those around if it could be avoided. Sure you might have minor powers here and there but not in a way that would make a good storyline for STO.
    Pretty much the problem with the galaxy in general.

    theres only about 2 or 3 species/groups from Trek canon that I could really see putting up a real threat to the Alliance. We have slapped down everyone else at this point.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 2,177 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »
    As for the Gamma Quadrant while we don't know the exact size of the Dominion it's not likely there's that many "threat to the alliance" level threats left there as the dominion would not want to leave those around if it could be avoided. Sure you might have minor powers here and there but not in a way that would make a good storyline for STO.
    Pretty much the problem with the galaxy in general.

    theres only about 2 or 3 species/groups from Trek canon that I could really see putting up a real threat to the Alliance. We have slapped down everyone else at this point.

    That is only if you are talking top-tier epic threats to the entire galaxy though, there are plenty of things they could do with mid-level threats like J'Ula, Mirror Leeta, Killy, and a lot of others. The Cardasssians, the Romulans, and the Klingons are not the only ones who could have nutcase terrorist organizations making trouble, in fact Earth First could have had a resurgence because of the events and atmosphere of PIC for instance.

    Also STO itself recently opened more possibilities with Measure of Morality in fact, for instance some simulacrum Borg could have escaped and started making an alternate collective which could make things interesting, especially if psuedo-T'Ket's personality escaped with them and she reconstitutes herself. Or one or more of the other threats could have have escaped somehow, though the pseudo-Borg seem to be the thing that broke the simulation and seem the most likely if the devs choose to do anything more with the aftermath of the event.

  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 52,144 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »
    That person must be really obsessed with getting to the action since it doesn't take much to show that a)Garleans aren't exactly the nicest people around b)that Eorzean powers are independent from the Garlean Empire, honestly sounds like this guy might have issues seeing why Garleans are evil even if he did watch the cutscenes.

    I mean WoW has people who side with Sylvanas Windrunner even after the Burning of Teldrassil that killed thousands of civilians.

    Well... my friend is a big fan of Warhammer 40k's Imperium of Man. Maybe in his mind the Garleans are more like the Imperium, which appeals to him, and they're more technologically advanced, which also appeals to him.
    66998372863950ee98cf7da9786e2ea9-db80k0m.png
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out a Delta Pack, Temporal Pack, and Gamma Pack
    The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • somtaawkharsomtaawkhar Member Posts: 8,259 Arc User
    edited October 20
    That is only if you are talking top-tier epic threats to the entire galaxy though, there are plenty of things they could do with mid-level threats like J'Ula, Mirror Leeta, Killy, and a lot of others. The Cardasssians, the Romulans, and the Klingons are not the only ones who could have nutcase terrorist organizations making trouble, in fact Earth First could have had a resurgence because of the events and atmosphere of PIC for instance.

    Also STO itself recently opened more possibilities with Measure of Morality in fact, for instance some simulacrum Borg could have escaped and started making an alternate collective which could make things interesting, especially if psuedo-T'Ket's personality escaped with them and she reconstitutes herself. Or one or more of the other threats could have have escaped somehow, though the pseudo-Borg seem to be the thing that broke the simulation and seem the most likely if the devs choose to do anything more with the aftermath of the event.
    • J'ula was using Mycelial weaponry that could destroy all life in the multiverse.
    • Mirror Leeta has teamed up with the Pah-Wraiths, trans-dimensional beings that exist outside of time, in order to conquer not only her own reality, but ours as well.
    • Killy is almost certainly going to be paired up with Mirror Leeta to tie up all the MU stuff, and what she did with Pahvo shows shes no pushover either.
    • Nothing about Picard would indicate that "Earth First" would come back, or even be an issue. Yeah, the Romulans false flagged the Federation... thats typical Romulan behavior, and they have been doing forever. It hasn't caused any "human only" movement to spring up. If anything, it just reinvigorates the core ideals of the Federation, which was initially founded as an alliance of races to combat the Romulans.
    • And the idea that the Excalbian recreations would come back is silly. The whole point of the mission was that we beat them. Cryptic isn't going to have fake versions of the Borg come back when they could just have us kill the ACTUAL Borg once and for all.
    The only real threats after J'ula are Mirror Leeta/Killy, the Kelvans, the Sheliak, and the Zhat Vash. And even then, the Kelvans don't expect their recon team back for another 150 years, and the Sheliak, while they dislike the Federation, are the ones who contacted the Federation to deal with the colony problem diplomatically. So like, really Killy/Leeta, and the Zhat Vash, are the two big bads Cryptic really has left on their table that make sense.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 52,144 Arc User
    Well... the possibility of going to Andromeda still exists. Iconian Gateway tech after all.

    I'm kinda hoping that we don't go after the Borg for a bit because they're so overused in TNG era games as the big bad. Beating back the Borg is fine, but don't overdo it. They're probably still licking their wounds from the Vaadwaur and everything else that has happened in STO. Although we still have Donatra out there somewhere.

    I kinda feel like the Zhat Vash might not be quite as viable after everything that's happened to the Romulans. Unless they have a secret base somewhere and have become more of an independant entity from the Tal Shiar, which itself has been utterly decimated by not only the Republic, but Alliance forces as well.

    As for Killy and Leeta... we'd either have Killy team up with Leeta, or we end up in a 3 way war with Killy trying to take power for herself and seeing Leeta as a rival. Imperial politics is rife with rivalries after all. And Leeta's probably arrogant enough to think she can do everything without Killy's help because Pah-Wraiths.
    66998372863950ee98cf7da9786e2ea9-db80k0m.png
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out a Delta Pack, Temporal Pack, and Gamma Pack
    The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • somtaawkharsomtaawkhar Member Posts: 8,259 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I'm kinda hoping that we don't go after the Borg for a bit because they're so overused in TNG era games as the big bad. Beating back the Borg is fine, but don't overdo it. They're probably still licking their wounds from the Vaadwaur and everything else that has happened in STO. Although we still have Donatra out there somewhere.
    Yeah.

    The Borg tried to invade the Alpha and Beta Quadrants. The Feds and Klinks got together and beat them down pretty hard, even killing the Queen in the process. Then, when we get to the Delta Quadrant, we find out they have been getting hammered by the Voth, Undine, Vaadwaur, and Borg Cooperative.

    The Collective's losses were so great the newly resurrected Queen tried to forcibly reassimilate Cooperative ships, in an attempt to rebuild the Collective. We not only stopped that, but killed the Queen again, and left the Voth and Undine to blow up the Borg's Unimatrix.

    At this point, the Borg Collective is in its last legs in STO. Not entirely dead, but close to it. I personally don't think we will get another Borg story for awhile, if ever. The only Borg content I want to see is a revamp, or replacement, of Defera so the Borg can have a decent Battlezone.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 52,144 Arc User
    Yea. Fix up Defera.
    66998372863950ee98cf7da9786e2ea9-db80k0m.png
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out a Delta Pack, Temporal Pack, and Gamma Pack
    The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 2,177 Arc User
    One place the Borg have not been beat back is the Gamma quadrant. According to the other maps in the set that PIC canonized the Borg territory in Delta actually extends a little way into Gamma so they probably have intact unimatrices and transwarp corridor nodes out that way.
  • theantisainttheantisaint Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited October 21
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Yea. Fix up Defera.

    Fix Defera? Blasphemy, those bugs are a fixed point in space-time within the multi-verse. If you fix those bugs...reality itself would crumble. Even the Q would not survive such an event...
  • gulremalgulremal Member Posts: 152 Arc User
    +1 on fixing/revamping the Defera. I love that place, but it didn't really age well.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 3,299 Arc User
    gulremal wrote: »
    +1 on fixing/revamping the Defera. I love that place, but it didn't really age well.
    Used to have so much fun there but it doesn't really work with todays power creep. Defera used to fit into the game really well when it came out but as you say it has not aged well at all. Then again I find the entire Borg storyline a complete mess and worse then the original. Would love the devs to revamp Defera and bring back the real STF raids that we used to have. Still keep the current short Borg TFO's alongside the old style ones.
  • somtaawkharsomtaawkhar Member Posts: 8,259 Arc User
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    Used to have so much fun there but it doesn't really work with todays power creep. Defera used to fit into the game really well when it came out but as you say it has not aged well at all. Then again I find the entire Borg storyline a complete mess and worse then the original. Would love the devs to revamp Defera and bring back the real STF raids that we used to have. Still keep the current short Borg TFO's alongside the old style ones.
    As I recall, one of the Cryptic devs was asked about a combined space/ground TFO in the last two months, and mentioned that various engine changes over the years mean they couldn't do that in TFOs anymore.
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Yea. Fix up Defera.
    Fix Defera? Blasphemy, those bugs are a fixed point in space-time within the multi-verse. If you fix those bugs...reality itself would crumble. Even the Q would not survive such an event...
    gulremal wrote: »
    +1 on fixing/revamping the Defera. I love that place, but it didn't really age well.
    Defera is in an awful catch 22 situation.

    According to Cryptic, the reason why they haven't fixed it is because Defera is not only super buggy, but also literally incomplete. The Defera we have was supposed to be part 1 of a multi part series of updates that simply never got made.

    They have said that, at this point, it would cost less money to simply scrap the whole thing, and make a new one from scratch. But while that is the less expensive option, its still not an inexpensive option. So they can't justify doing it unless the story gets back to Borg related content, like how we are getting all these Year of Klingon updates due to the current story being Klingon focused.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 52,144 Arc User
    I wouldn't care if it was repair or replace. Right now Defera is really only good for ground Borg kills, not actually doing anything important.
    66998372863950ee98cf7da9786e2ea9-db80k0m.png
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out a Delta Pack, Temporal Pack, and Gamma Pack
    The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 39,958 Arc User
    > @somtaawkhar said:
    > (Quote)
    > As I recall, one of the Cryptic devs was asked about a combined space/ground TFO in the last two months, and mentioned that various engine changes over the years mean they couldn't do that in TFOs anymore.
    > (Quote)
    > (Quote)
    > (Quote)
    > Defera is in an awful catch 22 situation.
    >
    > According to Cryptic, the reason why they haven't fixed it is because Defera is not only super buggy, but also literally incomplete. The Defera we have was supposed to be part 1 of a multi part series of updates that simply never got made.
    >
    > They have said that, at this point, it would cost less money to simply scrap the whole thing, and make a new one from scratch. But while that is the less expensive option, its still not an inexpensive option. So they can't justify doing it unless the story gets back to Borg related content, like how we are getting all these Year of Klingon updates due to the current story being Klingon focused.

    No its possible, just not with how the STF system is.

    Ever since STFs became Queues they haven't been combined ground and space missions even years ago.

    All they would have to do is make the STFs raids and make them like how they were originally, i.e. you make a team, pick up the mission, then you all enter it from sector space.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 52,144 Arc User
    It may be doable, but STO is also a bit more causal than the other MMOs I've played. If they were to impliment a raid like thing, it would probably have to be a seperate entity from the existing queues so that people who want the existing ones can go for those if they wanted.

    Also... FF14 has you queue up for raids rather than go to any particular location to enter them. You have to go to that location to unlock them through a quest chain, but it does open up the particular raid in a queue system. Also queuing up as a DPS tends to mean long wait times due to people not queuing up as much as healers and tanks.
    66998372863950ee98cf7da9786e2ea9-db80k0m.png
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out a Delta Pack, Temporal Pack, and Gamma Pack
    The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • livinlifejb90#4082 livinlifejb90 Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »
    As for the Gamma Quadrant while we don't know the exact size of the Dominion it's not likely there's that many "threat to the alliance" level threats left there as the dominion would not want to leave those around if it could be avoided. Sure you might have minor powers here and there but not in a way that would make a good storyline for STO.
    Pretty much the problem with the galaxy in general.

    theres only about 2 or 3 species/groups from Trek canon that I could really see putting up a real threat to the Alliance. We have slapped down everyone else at this point.

    That does make me wonder where STO is supposed to go storywise. Because it does kind of seem like they've run out of things, and threats to do.
    #TrekIsAwesomeInAnyForm #DownWithTrump
    KnvbHPs.png
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 52,144 Arc User
    That does make me wonder where STO is supposed to go storywise. Because it does kind of seem like they've run out of things, and threats to do.

    Well... there is Andromeda, and all that unexplored territory in Delta.
    66998372863950ee98cf7da9786e2ea9-db80k0m.png
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out a Delta Pack, Temporal Pack, and Gamma Pack
    The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • somtaawkharsomtaawkhar Member Posts: 8,259 Arc User
    edited October 23
    That does make me wonder where STO is supposed to go storywise. Because it does kind of seem like they've run out of things, and threats to do.
    Well there's
    • Finishing up Mirror Leeta's story(probably next)
    • Something to do with the Synth colony/ancient synths/Zhat Vash from Picard(pretty certain this will happen at some point)
    • Kelvan invasion from Andromeda?
    • The Sheliak up to no good?
    While the latter two are possible, but high unlikely IMO, even if Cryptic only ever does the first two
    • A story arc in STO is around 6-8 missions
    • We typically get two missions per content release
    • We get content releases around every 4 months(or three times a year)
    That's a minimum 6-8 content releases(for 12-16 missions total), spread across 2-3 years. With Year of Klingon not ending until at least the 11th anniversary event, another 2-3 years would take us into year 13/14 for STO.

    I mean, I hope STO makes it to year 15 and all, but getting to year 14 and running out of plot isn't so bad. but by then they will have DSC S3, DSC S4, Picard S2, Picard S3, Section 31, Strange New World, Prodigy, Lower Decks S2/3, to dig up more sutff on.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 9,414 Arc User
    As long as there are Star Trek shows on the air, I can’t imagine STO running out of material. Discovery was renewed for Season 4 already (YAY!) and we have the upcoming Brave New Worlds, Season 2 of Picard, Section 31 and even Lower Decks.. they are going to have all the material they could ask for.
    animated.gif
    Discovery is good, it's you that sucks.
Sign In or Register to comment.