test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tellarites

paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,777 Arc User
For a founding member of the Federation, Tellarites are usually ignored and used as background characters, even Andorians occasionally get the spotlight, hell Tellar Prime isn't a social world unlike the other founding members homeworlds in game, I feel like there should be at least one Tellarite bridge crew member in television.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    It is probably because their makeup is more extensive so it takes longer to manufacture and apply which raises costs. That is why most Romulans in TOS wore those helmets, the ears had to be custom made so they were rather expensive to put on random extras.
  • Options
    chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    For a founding member of the Federation, Tellarites are usually ignored and used as background characters, even Andorians occasionally get the spotlight, hell Tellar Prime isn't a social world unlike the other founding members homeworlds in game, I feel like there should be at least one Tellarite bridge crew member in television.

Peter Dinklage would make a good Tellarite.
  • Options
    gilleylen#2528 gilleylen Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    I can not say that Tellarites makeup is hard, DS9 had a main cast as a cardassian and he was in most of the episodes, their was other times where Quark and others had multiple Ferengi, Jem'Hadar and Cardassians in the episode. it seems that it would be a good time to put them in the spotlight since makeup now has became easier to apply faster and more frequent
  • Options
    trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User

Peter Dinklage would make a good Tellarite.

Yeah it would be perfect for him especially since it would be a serious role and not meant to just be for humor. These new shows should visit these planets though even ones that aren't founding homeworlds. Would be great in their meetings with CBS if they were able give suggestions of things fans want to see and also see in this game.
  • Options
    alyxvixen#3895 alyxvixen Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    TOS Tellarite or Enterprise Tellarite or General Tellarite?

I have a soft spot for how the TOS Tellarites look.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    > @chastity1337 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Peter Dinklage would make a good Tellarite.

Honestly I think he might be too short, on average sure tellarites are shorter then humans but not by that much, think 5'5 or so not under 4 feet.

EDIT: I'm aware that mister Dinklage is actually over 4 feet tall, but that wasn't my point around 135 cm would still be short for a male tellarite, who typically are around 160 cm to 170 cm.
  • Options
    Also in regards to Tellarite make-up being too hard, I wonder if it was less the case of that and more the case of there being a veto on TOS races during TNG and DS9, seeing as apart from the popular races of Klingons, Romulans and Vulcans we get no races seen in TOS (well technically we see a repesentation of an Andorian female but that look nothing like any other Andorians we got regardless of gender).
  • Options
    lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »
    Also in regards to Tellarite make-up being too hard, I wonder if it was less the case of that and more the case of there being a veto on TOS races during TNG and DS9, seeing as apart from the popular races of Klingons, Romulans and Vulcans we get no races seen in TOS (well technically we see a repesentation of an Andorian female but that look nothing like any other Andorians we got regardless of gender).

Yet in STO we cant even made a Klingon or Romulan to start as TOS which is a bit disappointing
  • Options
    diocletian#7546 diocletian Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    I would like to see more of Tellarites in Star Trek. As a founding member of the Federation they seem to be more scarce in Star Trek shows than they should be.

I was happy to see a Tellarite captain in Lower Decks recently. I like the look of Tellarites the most from Enterprise. Enterprise did a great job showing the race in a few episodes and the characters were well developed in that series.

My main character in STO is a 23c Tellarite. I like the look of the ENT version more than the TOS version, so I switched to that look when my AOY story took him to 25c.
  • Options
    captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    You wanna talk about Benzites while we're at it too?
  • Options
    lordmerc22 wrote: »

Yet in STO we cant even made a Klingon or Romulan to start as TOS which is a bit disappointing
    STO has different production staff then TNG and DS9, especially as I suspect that directive if it existed probably came from Gene Roddenberry.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

STO has different production staff then TNG and DS9, especially as I suspect that directive if it existed probably came from Gene Roddenberry.

Actually, by the time of TNG Roddenberry was little more than a figurehead used to attract fans. Paramount's vision of Trek never was quite in line with Roddenberry's which is why the movies are so different in fundamental ways from TOS, and the gap only got wider as time went on. Roddenberry went as far as shouting, blue-faced, desk pounding condemnations of quite a few things Paramount was doing and it rarely if ever made any difference, they just let him rant and ignored him for the most part.

One good example is fighters. Roddenberry was totally, 100% against the idea of any kind of fighter or even the larger (but still tiny) gunboat in Trek, citing the astronomical power difference of the two and the fact that real world fighters only survive by being so much faster and hard to hit, which is not the case in Star Trek at all. He pointed out that armed shuttles, no matter what you tried to stuff into them, would still be the equivalent of a rowboat with an outboard motor armed with a machinegun going against capital ships. Yet they overruled him and added gunboats and later even fighter-shuttles that could attack capital ships and hope to do anything but scratch the paint (if even that).

Same thing with Berman's "space procedural" format. Roddenberry wanted the show to be a drama/action format like TOS, Berman was only comfortable with the translation of the police procedural that he brought to Star Trek, and Paramount went with Berman's ideas, not Roddenberry's.

As for the Tellarites, they would not have fit very well in the TNG (and all Berman Trek to some degree) space procedural format very well. That format is heavy on professionalism and reasoned technobabble and the Tellarite irritability and argumentativeness would tend to disrupt that atmosphere except as possibly some sort of lowbrow comic relief. I doubt Berman would have stood for that in a regular character since the show took itself so seriously.
  • Options
    eladonwarps#6040 eladonwarps Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    Wasn't there a Disco-era Tellarite in a Short Trek recently? Not Starfleet, technically, and it was a radically different look, but I enjoyed the tusks.

I'd enjoy putting that on a DSC character in game. Don't get me wrong, I love Skavrin as well, but each fits their respective aesthetic.
    Call me "El," she/her only. I love my wife and I don't care who knows it!
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    TOS Tellarites and DSC Tellarites look equally fitting. I dislike the ENT-look, I don't know why they made them dwarves. Nothing against dwarves, but 'rites were never hinted at being shorter and the melty faces are also a weird style choice. DSC with their snouts, tusks and grunting accent are a good choice, however I hate that they have humanoid hands and feet. The hoof-hands from the TOS make-up test were sexier pig-3.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Tellarites were not little-people sized in TOS but they were shorter than average for the most part, corresponding with the "short and feisty guy" trope, like most of Lou Costello's characters. If TNG did decide to have a Tellarite regular Danny Devito would have been great for the part since aside from the laytex he usually played parts quite similar to that.
  • Options
    lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    I think the least serious figure in TNG is Q by far and I always disliked him really
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    The Crew of the USS Swinetrek approves this thread
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,464 Arc User
    I think the least serious figure in TNG is Q by far and I always disliked him really

Me too. Was glad when Benjamin Sisko punched him in the face.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    sthe91 wrote: »

Me too. Was glad when Benjamin Sisko punched him in the face.

"I am not Picard!"

This discussion has been closed.