test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

pc stat requirements

chrisevans34chrisevans34 Member Posts: 260 Arc User
Does anyone know the stats for a pc to run STO on all MAXED settings? just cause getting alot of lag and someone suggesting turn settings down, but i thought with this updated pc would be able to handle it, im no techy guy no understanding of pc whatsoever so just curious what i can check against.

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 9400F @ 2.90GHz 38 °C
Coffee Lake 14nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel Unknown (17-17-17-39)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME H310M-R R2.0 (LGA1151) 38 °C
Graphics
C32F391 (1920x1080@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti (Gigabyte) 46 °C
Storage
931GB Seagate ST1000DM010-2EP102 (SATA ) 35 °C
931GB Seagate Expansion SCSI Disk Device (USB (SATA) ) 34 °C
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

that is info from speccy for my pc.

now i know can get super high end pc's but i only play Star trek online and Elderscrolls online, none really high end games compared with others like not 4k (that im aware of) so just any help be grateful thanks.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,982 Arc User
    I think you should be fine playing STO at maxed settings at full HD (1920x1080) with reasonable frame rates (60-ish fps).

Try to a) keep things cool to avoid throttling and b) don't run yourself low on RAM with other programs, as sometimes what people refer to as lag can be caused by other things.

Turning off everybody's damage floaters aside from your own may also increase performance while running certain TFO's.

One of my own setups is similar to yours using a Kabey Lake CPU and Pascal video card.

How are you doing for fps on your rig?
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    The problem isn't your rig, it's the game.

Lag spikes are not because of your hardware, they can be.. but not in this case. I run this game on a $2k PC designed for high resolution and VR gaming with a 400Mb connection and get lag spikes. Your system is well over the requirements to max out STO at 1080p.

For me the lag has been MUCH better since the patch they did to fix things, but it still exists from time to time.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • chrisevans34chrisevans34 Member Posts: 260 Arc User
    see ive noticed it really hard doing ISA = for example. the game literally pauses for 1-3 seconds then catches up, and this coincidies with a stong noise coming from my pc, its to describe but like its doing a process or somat. :(:(
    protoneous wrote: »

ive no idea how to find that out
    here's a question, now im going to try ask best way i can, would adding a SSD help? so use 2 harddrives? like have the OS on the ssd and have sto, eso and other big things on the HDD? and would that be easy for me to do?
    oh and there was one thing i was not expecting when i got this pc, it came with a remote! its for the fans, turns em on n off and changes the colours lol
    edited October 2020
    You can move the game to the SSD if you like, but I am telling you it probably won't help. I have the game installed on a Samsung EVO 970 NVME SSD which is a very fast SSD. I still get the same stutter in ISA/ISE that you're describing. It's most prominent right at the start of the map.

The advantage of an SSD comes in load times, it doesn't boost frame rate. In an online game like STO there is honestly little to no difference between an SSD and a Mechanical Drive. No matter how fast you load the map, you still have to wait for the server.
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,982 Arc User

Type /showfps 1 into chat to bring up a display in the upper right hand corner of your screen. /showfps 0 would turn that display off.

As above per Sea, I also have separate SSD's for my OS and STO. I can't really tell the difference as compared to back when both were on one single mechanical HD aside from loading the game faster. Somebody posted some map load times quite some time ago and they were marginally faster SSD vs mechanical HD.

It's nice to know I'm not the only one getting some stuttering in ISA.

Would like to think that following some good practices like having enough available RAM, keeping things cool to avoid throttling, (even perhaps experimenting with turning off damage floaters for others) might help with things such as this at least when playing on a laptop that is more thermally restricted than your desktop PC with similar but inherently lower wattage versions of your cpu/gpu.

If anybody has a theory to why this stutter might be happening am all ears. I'm going to assume it's computational... everybody firing off a whole lot of powers all at once. Perhaps a mix of client side and load on your PC? It really seems to vary.
    edited October 2020

Type /showfps 1 into chat to bring up a display in the upper right hand corner of your screen. /showfps 0 would turn that display off.

As above per Sea, I also have separate SSD's for my OS and STO. I can't really tell the difference as compared to back when both were on one single mechanical HD aside from loading the game faster. Somebody posted some map load times quite some time ago and they were marginally faster SSD vs mechanical HD.

It's nice to know I'm not the only one getting some stuttering in ISA.

Would like to think that following some good practices like having enough available RAM, keeping things cool to avoid throttling, (even perhaps experimenting with turning off damage floaters for others) might help with things such as this at least when playing on a laptop that is more thermally restricted than your desktop PC with similar but inherently lower wattage versions of your cpu/gpu.

If anybody has a theory to why this stutter might be happening am all ears. I'm going to assume it's computational... everybody firing off a whole lot of powers all at once. Perhaps a mix of client side and load on your PC? It really seems to vary.

I have accepted that it's just a limitation of the game. I occasionally play on my laptop, but when I do queues it's always on my desktop that absolutely should not have any issues with STO (Intel Core i7 8700k @ 4.9GHZ, 16GB DDR4 3200 (XMP Profile), Samsung Evo 970 NVME PCI-E SSD (1TB) and a Gigabyte GTX 1080Ti OC Edition.) This PC is built for VR gaming, it's miles over the recommended system specs and I still get that stutter in Infected Space. It does have to do with enemies, because it's minor in ISA and far more severe in ISE. When I play ISE the opening DPS Check drops me to a crawl for a good 5-10 seconds. It usually smooths out after that, but there is no way I believe my PC isn't up to snuff.

Once they are readily available, I will be upgrading to an RTX 3080.. I will be curious to see if it still stutters on a card that is intended to run games at 4k with max settings.
  • sarah2774sarah2774 Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    Your pc stats is enough to run on max stats. The only thing I can see to improve is to increase the RAM and internet connection speed. The more players log in, the lag increase. The game seems to give a smaller bandwidth.

Once they are readily available, I will be upgrading to an RTX 3080.. I will be curious to see if it still stutters on a card that is intended to run games at 4k with max settings.

Lol, it probably will unless you can get some super internet speed.
    OPv9m3F.jpg
  • ussvaliant2#1952 ussvaliant2 Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    The problem isn't your rig, it's the game.

Lag spikes are not because of your hardware, they can be.. but not in this case. I run this game on a $2k PC designed for high resolution and VR gaming with a 400Mb connection and get lag spikes. Your system is well over the requirements to max out STO at 1080p.

For me the lag has been MUCH better since the patch they did to fix things, but it still exists from time to time.

Its been 2 weeks on and the rubber banding and power tray misfires are nearly all gone. Breath of fresh air to spend time in the Dyson Battle zone without rubber banding every 30secs-1min. So kudos to whatever they have tinkered with behind the scenes
    https://i.imgur.com/r6F7yxj.jpeg
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    I have a close replica of your PC, and i play STO in 4K at 60fps steady (except when there is too much clutter on the screen, and lowest drops are 45), all max but with fxaa antialiasing and sharpening filter in the nvidia drivers, so you ae ok, thou i have an ssd for the game
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • husanakxhusanakx Member Posts: 1,593 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    You machine as others have said is fine to run STO at max settings at 1080p. Some more ram might be nice but won't likely make any difference unless your running a bunch of stuff in the back ground. Probably fine with what you got... however RAM is probably going to drop a bit the next few months. If you can score a good deal on a 16gb pack it wouldn't hurt.

Without a doubt the biggest upgrade you would notice on your machine in general (not just STO) would be moving to a SSD over the mechanical drive you have now.

Your GPU is adequate for 1080p gaming.. but in general when you want to make games push more frames that is where you look. GPU is easily 90% more important then your CPU or system memory over 8gb. If STO is your main game I wouldn't worry to much about what your rocking. Hold off till next year when the most recent gen tech wise gets pushed down into the mid and lower mid range tier of cards. Next year might be a good time to look at NV 3050/60 or AMD 6500/6600 type cards when they are released. Anything more then that is unneeded for STO... I am running a AMD 5700XT right now, and in STO I turn Radeon chill on and lock my FPS to one frame under my monitor refresh (chill stops AMD GPUs from doing any more work then needed to hit target FPS). My GPU fans don't even turn on in STO unless a full team of Sci players fires off 5 anomalies each. :) lol
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    sarah2774 wrote: »
    Your pc stats is enough to run on max stats. The only thing I can see to improve is to increase the RAM and internet connection speed. The more players log in, the lag increase. The game seems to give a smaller bandwidth.

Lol, it probably will unless you can get some super internet speed.

yup. go to 16 or 32gb ram and you are golden.
    Spock.jpg

• truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    The game itself has issues...for the longest time, and the frame rate has dropped off for a bit, usually it will run at 54 to 60 fps for the most of time. now it is half that, and for the Mars TFO, it runs in the low teens. My system runs at MAX for it.

And the lagging does not help out either...

52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
This discussion has been closed.