test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is "F" the right registry suffix for Leeta's Mirror Enterprise?

xastirxxastirx Member Posts: 71 Arc User
Anyway, i got to thinking, when using the badlands battlezone to kill a few birds with one blast of buckshot.
With all the alpha canon that DS9 adds about the mirror universe, I am no longer certain that the suffix "F" is correct for Admiral Leeta's Mirror Enterprise.
I mean, we know that after his encounter with Prime Timeline Kirk, Mirror Spock went on a campaign to demiliterize the Terran Empire. Thing is, no specific year is given.
So there is no way to know for certain if ISS Enterprise A, B, C, D, or E ever existed in that timeline. However, we can eliminate D and E from the mix since during the first encounter with the MU on DS9, Prime Enterprise D was still in service. And by this point the Empire was no more.
We also know from Enterprise episode Mirror Darkly, that the counterpart ships rarely ever have their respective events coincide with each other even though all 23rd century trek (discovery and TOS) would have us think they do. Consider how in that era, the Buran was at priors world in both universes and they were both destroyed a short time apart from each other. And the 1701 was at the same planet in both universes at the same time.
Also, even if Enterprises A B and C existed there is no guarantee that B and C were the same classes as the prime timeline. Remember, they got the Connie design about 100 years early.
Since the process of their own ship evolution was essentially stolen from them, they never got to discover the design on their own.
No guarantee they would though since it seems that things that do coincide in both universes was because of coinciding people. Meaning that the mirror connie would never have been developed naturally if the person who would have designed it were to TRIBBLE off the Emperor and be killed before making that contribution to starfleet.
Also, once you got into the discovery era ships, you could say that they only existed because they had the Defiant database that would have had the specs of all ships made between the eras of ENT and TOS, and so all those coinciding ship designs existed for that reason.
And you could also say that because the Defiant was lost AFTER Discovery disappeared and all her data was classfied at the highest levels and was removed from local starship databases, that would explain why ISS Discovery had no spore drive technology. Yes they had that Mycelial Reactor but that was an original design by mirror stamets.
Anyway, short version: I don't think Admiral Leeta's Enterprise should be designated "F" since there is definite proof in alpha canon that the enterprise D and E never were built. And it is likely that depending on when the Empire was de-militerized, there might not have been an enterprise B or C either. So if anything, Leeta's Odyssey class Enterprise should most likely have the registry of B or C.
The only way it could potentially work is if after the Empire got started again, they picked up where they left off. which for enterprise registries would not make sense. Since this would be a new starfleet made from scratch with stolen Federation design plans. But lets assume they used the old fleet records to start where they left off where ship registry numbers were concerned to create the illusion that they never went away completely.
They would have to construct and lose 4 ships named Enterprise from the end of DS9 and the start of STO.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,646 Arc User
    I understand what you mean. I suppose that I've been willing the hand wave that detail. I can easily see someone like Mirror Leeta taking a mocking position as she performs incursions into our Prime Universe. Maybe there never was a C, D, or E for their Enterprise? She just skipped ahead to F because she could?
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • Options
    That is also a canonically explainable possibility. When she got that ship, she was a fleet admiral at the time. There are also explanations even in the prime universe why registries go out of sequence.

Such as making it seem as though starfleet has fewer ships than they really do which is why most ships of the Akira, Sabre, and other lines have 5-digit registries in the 60k's where as the USS Galaxy herself, a ship from about 15 years earlier has a registry of NX-70637. Also, before that tactic was used, the Defiant, the first of starfleets warship family, has a number of 74205 and Voyager which was built about 6 months later was 74656. Also dispensation has also been given to some captains to take a registry that has some significance to the captain in question, such as a loved one's birth day or anniversary. As for the numbers being a war time tactic, its sort of a reverse form of the Maquis tactic of making it seem that they have more ships than they really did by altering their warp signature every time they came back from a raid. Starfleet does the reverse with its registries to make it seem as though their warships are older than their peacetime vessels. This might lead enemy empires to underestimate starfleet's warships. That is until an Akira with a registry that indicates she is older than the galaxy class unleashes a death salvo of dozens of quantum torpedoes in all directions.
  • Options
    The same could be said for the writers just pulling numbers out of their collective backsides and trying to explain in universe why this ship or that ship had this non-sensical number on its hull.

A great example is the USS Defiant. The second Defiant class one. She had the same number as the original. NX-74205, instead of NCC-74205-A or whatever would have been the next sequential number, or even keeping the Sao Paulo's original number. This is a perfect example of writers doing what they want and making an in universe excuse. In this instance, they used the original number because they did not want to make all new combat footage for the battle of cardassia. They wanted to reuse as much as possible. Because of that, said footage has that original number. So, to avoid the backlash from the nerdier fans who would notice that the ship's number changed between shots, they gave the explanation that to put the troops minds at ease at hearing the "rumors" of the Defiant's destruction, they gave the new Defiant the old ship's number verbatim. This was so that those who saw her in the fleet would think that the Defiant was either never destroyed in the second battle of Chin'Toka, or that she was disabled and recovered.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    This is a great example why the mirror universe was a genius one-shoot episode but makes no sense as a permanent evolving thing. It is supposed to be a mirror - things were even meant to physically be so close that the Enterprise crew could cross over and not notice at first. Everything is the same - but evil.or rather mirrored, villians from the prime should be good guys over there. Logically things cannot take such similiar parts for this to work, if the MU is a 'functioning' ongoing narrative it doesn't make sense that ships look mostly the same.

Refarding the NCC numbers - I think it's on record that they are completely random. Many theories, but ultimately just random. Some numbers have a real life meaning/tribute, others are just rolled dice.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Some registration number issues could be chalked up to production delays from red tape or design issues, but it is fair to say they are largely not remotely thought out.

The best interpretation you could imagine is that some names while reused, are not given a -A because they aren't accomplished/celebrated enough to get it, and/or perhaps because their name is being reused but for a ship of a different role. For example, a hypothetical USS Voyager NCC 84 transport ship isn't going to get the recognition of its lineage carried into the NCC 74656. They would also be totally different roles, unlike the Enterprises, and/or the original never earned any status to be carried forward.

IRL, there are 3 carriers in the US Navy named Enterprise, CV 6, CVN 65, and the yet to be built CVN 80 while the numbering is all one continuous line from CV-1 the USS Langley. Of course, the US Navy does not do the -A thing, but Starfleet could continue the reuse practice the USN does and only do -A for accomplished ships.

That can explain the Defiant where we know 3 canon Starfleet ships with that name, but no -A (Granted that decision for the Sao Paulo was for budget issues with the CGI, and it should have been Defiant -A.) The first known Defiant was lost to the mirror universe, so it doesn't have much of a heritage to continue on. Thus when the DS9 Defiant is seen, there's no storied history to continue (and of course Enterprise filmed after DS9.)
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    Since STO itself ISN'T canon, what's the point of worrying about it. 'Admiral Leeta' is 100% a Cryptic character invention. Leeta was never shown to be an admiral in any of the DS9 MU episodes; so again, the 'new' Terran Empire is a Cryptic creation.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    Many Enterprises gave their lives returning the Terran Empire back to it's former glory!
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    I honestly view registry numbers as just unique to the ship and not any indication of when or how many were made.

There is no canon explanation on what NCC stands for in the registry. There's a lot of differing opinions and even a lot of fan theories, but for my part... its just a unique ID number associated with that particular ship. So if you see on a tactical display NCC-1701, you know that 1701 is Enterprise.
    All we really do know is that NCC is generally for production models, NX is for experimentals (usually class prototypes), NAR... not a clue...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Perhaps NAR stands for "Not A Registry"

Anyway, this whole thing was just a random thought i had that i thought might spark some debate among trek fans. Not, REGISTRY NUMBERS ARE LIKE POINTS ON WHOSE LINE IS IT ANYWAY!!!! THEY DON'T MATTER!

Anyway, the reason i think that they do, sometimes anyway, is that depending on who is writing what, it seems at times as though they do try to make them go sequentially. Take for example when ships of a prominent class are shown.
    And before someone mentiones that Connie with a 16xx registry, that number was given by the vulcan science academy when they acquired the ship from starfleet for their own use.

We know the galaxy was first of her class and had the number of 70637. Most galaxy class ships have registries that have 70xxx or 71xxx numbers. Most ships of the Defiant and Intrepid classes have numbers in the 74,000's. The Titan even, which was commissioned later on enough that starfleet could have reasonably built 6000 or so more ships had a number of 80102 with the Luna herself being likely 80101 or 80100 with 80101 being some random other ship that started construction between the times of the Luna and Titan.
    Post edited by xastirx on
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    The real answer, of course:

Are you gonna tell her she can't?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    jonsills wrote: »
    The real answer, of course:

Are you gonna tell her she can't?

Oh I've done that a few times already... with a Quantum Torpedo. ;)
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    well, as far as the disco having a lower number, it's very conceivable that even though she is newer than Enterprise, the CLASS TYPE has a different numbering system. for example, the Knox class frigates started with 1052, and were a continuation of Frigate numbering systems, the Spruance class, which started production a decade or 2 later started at 963. the advent of guided missiles started a new numbering system, although still destroyers, like her 800-900 hull series siblings, the DDGs started with DDG-2 the C.F. Adams. and to really mess it up, the DDGs ended with DDG-46. the frigates also got missiles and started over with FFG-1 and ran in a couple of classes through FFG-61. so at the same time you have FF1052 running around, DDG2, DD 963. and THEN in another twist, 4 spruances built with better equipment were kept and numbered DDG-993-996, instead of DDG-47 as they should have been. and to top it off, the Navy put forth the DDG-47 class. Congress said no, you have too many destroyers, so the Navy erased DDG and put CG on the front, so the Aegis cruisers continues the DDG numbering scheme.. so yea, there could be some rhyme or reason to NCC numbering, no one stopped to think it out though
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    xastirx wrote: »
    Perhaps NAR stands for "Not A Registry"

Anyway, this whole thing was just a random thought i had that i thought might spark some debate among trek fans. Not, REGISTRY NUMBERS ARE LIKE POINTS ON WHOSE LINE IS IT ANYWAY!!!! THEY DON'T MATTER!

Anyway, the reason i think that they do, sometimes anyway, is that depending on who is writing what, it seems at times as though they do try to make them go sequentially. Take for example when ships of a prominent class are shown.
    And before someone mentiones that Connie with a 16xx registry, that number was given by the vulcan science academy when they acquired the ship from starfleet for their own use.

We know the galaxy was first of her class and had the number of 70637. Most galaxy class ships have registries that have 70xxx or 71xxx numbers. Most ships of the Defiant and Intrepid classes have numbers in the 74,000's. The Titan even, which was commissioned later on enough that starfleet could have reasonably built 6000 or so more ships had a number of 80102 with the Luna herself being likely 80101 or 80100 with 80101 being some random other ship that started construction between the times of the Luna and Titan.

TOS S2 - "The Doomsday Machine" U.S.S. Constellation (Starship/Constitution Class) NCC-1017 - and yes, everyone knows the production reason for that - it was an 'off the shelf' AMT model kit and had limited numbering options and with TV resolution what it was in 1968 - they were concerned that had they done 1710 - some viewers might confuse it for the 1701 Enterprise) - but yeah, IN UNIVERSE 1017 is a canon registry number for a Starship/Constitution Class ship; so that blows the different starting sequences explanation out the airlock. ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,390 Arc User
    Simple explanation: "F" is the Terran symbol for "F**k you/off!" like Ω is symbol for Omega.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    terlokiterloki Member Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    Actually thinking about it, I'm not sure if Enterprise is appropriate as name for the "hero ship" of the Empire. If anything the modern Terran Empire should rallying around an ISS Defiant. After all it was the Defiant getting stuck in that interphasic rift and being shoved back in time that gave them a jump in tech during Archer's era, and the ship built off the stolen plans of the USS Defiant helped drive out the Alliance and re-establish the Empire centuries later.

Meanwhile the Enterprise was Spock's ship, and unlike our Spock the goatee'd version is widely credited with ruining everything for the Empire.

But that's neither here nor there as far as the game's concerned and I'm willing to accept that. Leeta commands the ISS Enterprise F because it's the counterpart to Shon's USS Enterprise F, simple as that.
    Admiral Katrina Tokareva - U.S.S. Cosmos, Yorktown-class Star Cruiser
    Admiral Dananra Lekall - R.R.W. Teverresh, Deihu-class Warbird
    General J'Kar son of K'tsulan - I.K.S. Dlahath, Vo'devwl-class Carrier
  • Options
    well, as far as the disco having a lower number, it's very conceivable that even though she is newer than Enterprise, the CLASS TYPE has a different numbering system. for example, the Knox class frigates started with 1052, and were a continuation of Frigate numbering systems, the Spruance class, which started production a decade or 2 later started at 963. the advent of guided missiles started a new numbering system, although still destroyers, like her 800-900 hull series siblings, the DDGs started with DDG-2 the C.F. Adams. and to really mess it up, the DDGs ended with DDG-46. the frigates also got missiles and started over with FFG-1 and ran in a couple of classes through FFG-61. so at the same time you have FF1052 running around, DDG2, DD 963. and THEN in another twist, 4 spruances built with better equipment were kept and numbered DDG-993-996, instead of DDG-47 as they should have been. and to top it off, the Navy put forth the DDG-47 class. Congress said no, you have too many destroyers, so the Navy erased DDG and put CG on the front, so the Aegis cruisers continues the DDG numbering scheme.. so yea, there could be some rhyme or reason to NCC numbering, no one stopped to think it out though

Between what you were saying, and how someone else referred to how Georgiou said that the Shenzhou was already old when Burnham came aboard for the first time, there is also something else to consider. Well two things. Discovery and Glenn might not have been "newer" than the 1701 Enterprise. Discovery and Glenn were refit and rebuilt around Stamets and Strall's new drive technology. It's possible that Discoery is even older than the Shenzhou, or construction into the initial look of the Crossfield class started before the Shenzhou, but the latter being a much smaller ship, left dry dock first. Another thing, it is established canon that before pike commanded the Enterprise, she was commanded by Robert April for her first stab at being away from port for 5 years. We also do not know for certain how long Pike had been in command by the time he commanded the Discovery. Assuming that Pike had been in command for just over than 1 year by Discovery S2, that means that by the klingon war's start(the one that T'Kuvma started) the Enterprise had already changed hands and was already 6 years old. We know the Defiant (NCC-1764) was already in service.

Now before someone says something about those prisoners remarks about how the Discovery just rolled off the assembly line, there was not even any scratches on the shuttle bay's deck plates. Like I said before, Discovery and Glenn were refitted and completely rebuilt to accomodate the spore drive technology. Starfleet usually wont commission an entire new class of ship that will test some new technology unless it is absolutely needed. The Excelsior is an obvious exception, that can be explained in universe as starfleet was already looking to replace the aging constitution with a ship that did not have her flaws and the boys at the Academy likely approached the SCE with their theories on transwarp drive and SCE likely thought: this might work. With the spore drive, i do not believe starfleet put as much stock in a tech that sounds as "magical" as it did given that the idea was that such tech would, outside a war application of being able to teleport around enemies and basically instant transmission itself to any hotspot, but outside of war could be used to teleport an entire ship to even the most distant galaxy in an instant, likely said, here, we cant build 2 new ships for this from scratch right now, lets just refit and repurpose these two vessels.

As for ships that have registries that make them look older than ships that came before them, as the Akira's number in the stricted sense would indicate the USS galaxy was the 10,000th ship to be built after it, it really boils down to who is writing what and their OCD with detail. The ones who wrote everything pertaining to the Galaxy class, Defiant Class and Intrepid Classes were obviously very OCD about it to the point that no Galaxy class ship has a registry that precedes 70637. Ships with legacy registries don't count in that assertion btw. Now take the Yamato for example. First appearance, Riker read off her hull number as 1305-E. But in Contagion, when the yamato was destroyed, multiple computer displays read her registry as NCC-71807. The Challenger is NCC-71099 (oddly enough that number first appeared in a shatner novel, then it appeared on screen when La Forge was her captain. You can kinda make it out in one of the shots, so it is Alpha Canon). and the Venture is 71854.This is an indicator that most of the Galaxy class starships that were launched in the 2360's were all beginning construction right around the same time.

Then there is the Defiant class. The Defiant started with 74205. The valiant was 74210. And the Sao Paulo was 75663(before becoming the new defiant.)

And with the Intrepid, you got the Intrepid 74600, Voyager 74656. Sadly we never see the Bellerophon's registry on screen, however since it was put in the show by the same ship writers that think that all the warships that came after Defiant had 60K's registries, it probably fell victim to that since they didnt typically let writers from one show work on the others when they were running at the same time.

So short version, where it pertains to the prime timeline, registries seem to matter 50% of the time, when the more Detail OCD ship artists are working on a line of ships and not matter the other 50% when the people doing the writing are all "lets draw numbers from a fish bowl and go with what comes out".

But as it pertains specifically to the title of this thread, if the Mirror Enterprise is as important to their story as the Prime Timeline Enterprise is to its timeline, is it really the ISS Enterprise F if there was no uh, Scotty help me out here.

Scotty: "no bloody A....B....C...D....or-r-r E."

This discussion has been closed.