test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Livestream with Cryptic QA on Friday.

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    The main issue with the Gamma Quadrant is that there really is only one superpower that we know of. The Dominion. And we can't really explore farther because we'd have to go through the Dominion to do it. And they've ruled the Gamma Quadrant for 2000 years. So they're pretty dang BIG.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    rattler2 wrote: »
    The main issue with the Gamma Quadrant is that there really is only one superpower that we know of. The Dominion. And we can't really explore farther because we'd have to go through the Dominion to do it. And they've ruled the Gamma Quadrant for 2000 years. So they're pretty dang BIG.

True, the Dominion is probably quite sizable compared to the Alpha/Beta factions but a quadrant is an unimaginably large place so there is almost certainly civilizations and whatnot even the Dominion does not know about. And quite possibly some they do but in order to seem more invincible to the Alpha/Beta factions keep that fact from them so they look like the only game in town.

Also, 2000 years does not guarantee they would expand that much, look at how long the Klingons, the First Federation, the Orions, and others have been around and in space compared to the new Federation and the sizes of the territories they occupy. The Dominion seems to put the highest priority on keeping things orderly and the Founders safe, it seems quite likely that they would keep a very large safe zone centered on the link homeworld and ignore things beyond that distance if they do not threaten them in some way, and therefore only expand very slowly.

The only way it is a problem is that there are no ready-made other factions out there because DS9 did not require them for the war story they were setting up, and that is as much an advantage as it is a problem. Or at least it is an opportunity if CBS is not blocking STO from creating any others in Gamma.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    I've also seen people say, not just in STO but in other games, that they skip all the dialog... but then turn around and complain about not knowing whats going on.

I actually KNOW someone like that who tried FF14. He's actually convinced that the Garlean Empire, the primary antagonist of the game, is actually the good guys and the player is a Terrorist fighting against Law and Order. He even wanted to JOIN the Garleans, but can't because story reasons. He doesn't know all the bad things the Garleans had done, or... well... anything. He always skipped the cutscenes and probably skipped the dialog to get to the action, and then wondered why we're so against the Garleans and trying to convince him that the Garleans are actually evil.
    Oh... well... if you had WATCHED THE CUTSCENES and read the dialog you would know.

That person must be really obsessed with getting to the action since it doesn't take much to show that a)Garleans aren't exactly the nicest people around b)that Eorzean powers are independent from the Garlean Empire, honestly sounds like this guy might have issues seeing why Garleans are evil even if he did watch the cutscenes.

I mean WoW has people who side with Sylvanas Windrunner even after the Burning of Teldrassil that killed thousands of civilians.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    As for the Gamma Quadrant while we don't know the exact size of the Dominion it's not likely there's that many "threat to the alliance" level threats left there as the dominion would not want to leave those around if it could be avoided. Sure you might have minor powers here and there but not in a way that would make a good storyline for STO.
    spiritborn wrote: »
    As for the Gamma Quadrant while we don't know the exact size of the Dominion it's not likely there's that many "threat to the alliance" level threats left there as the dominion would not want to leave those around if it could be avoided. Sure you might have minor powers here and there but not in a way that would make a good storyline for STO.

It does not take a huge empire to make a lot of trouble, just take a look at the ruckus one rogue fleet with a mushroom gun on the flagship did so far. And the right mix of a number of unrelated incidents can go a long way too, especially since the Undine and Iconian stuff has players suspecting anything done has hidden masterminds manipulating it from the shadows even when there isn't.

In fact, if the Founders actually carry though with the changes they promised at ending of ViL that is change enough for plenty of scenarios and episodes to happen during the flux as Dominion society finds its new footing and renegotiates relations with the civilizations they previously crushed. That is especially true now that the Founders don't have their Hur'q ace in the hole to play the false savior game, and those who it was used on in the past realize they were had.
    Pretty much the problem with the galaxy in general.

theres only about 2 or 3 species/groups from Trek canon that I could really see putting up a real threat to the Alliance. We have slapped down everyone else at this point.

That is only if you are talking top-tier epic threats to the entire galaxy though, there are plenty of things they could do with mid-level threats like J'Ula, Mirror Leeta, Killy, and a lot of others. The Cardasssians, the Romulans, and the Klingons are not the only ones who could have nutcase terrorist organizations making trouble, in fact Earth First could have had a resurgence because of the events and atmosphere of PIC for instance.

Also STO itself recently opened more possibilities with Measure of Morality in fact, for instance some simulacrum Borg could have escaped and started making an alternate collective which could make things interesting, especially if psuedo-T'Ket's personality escaped with them and she reconstitutes herself. Or one or more of the other threats could have have escaped somehow, though the pseudo-Borg seem to be the thing that broke the simulation and seem the most likely if the devs choose to do anything more with the aftermath of the event.

That person must be really obsessed with getting to the action since it doesn't take much to show that a)Garleans aren't exactly the nicest people around b)that Eorzean powers are independent from the Garlean Empire, honestly sounds like this guy might have issues seeing why Garleans are evil even if he did watch the cutscenes.

I mean WoW has people who side with Sylvanas Windrunner even after the Burning of Teldrassil that killed thousands of civilians.

Well... my friend is a big fan of Warhammer 40k's Imperium of Man. Maybe in his mind the Garleans are more like the Imperium, which appeals to him, and they're more technologically advanced, which also appeals to him.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    Well... the possibility of going to Andromeda still exists. Iconian Gateway tech after all.

I'm kinda hoping that we don't go after the Borg for a bit because they're so overused in TNG era games as the big bad. Beating back the Borg is fine, but don't overdo it. They're probably still licking their wounds from the Vaadwaur and everything else that has happened in STO. Although we still have Donatra out there somewhere.

I kinda feel like the Zhat Vash might not be quite as viable after everything that's happened to the Romulans. Unless they have a secret base somewhere and have become more of an independant entity from the Tal Shiar, which itself has been utterly decimated by not only the Republic, but Alliance forces as well.

As for Killy and Leeta... we'd either have Killy team up with Leeta, or we end up in a 3 way war with Killy trying to take power for herself and seeing Leeta as a rival. Imperial politics is rife with rivalries after all. And Leeta's probably arrogant enough to think she can do everything without Killy's help because Pah-Wraiths.
    Yea. Fix up Defera.
    One place the Borg have not been beat back is the Gamma quadrant. According to the other maps in the set that PIC canonized the Borg territory in Delta actually extends a little way into Gamma so they probably have intact unimatrices and transwarp corridor nodes out that way.
  • theantisainttheantisaint Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    Yea. Fix up Defera.

Fix Defera? Blasphemy, those bugs are a fixed point in space-time within the multi-verse. If you fix those bugs...reality itself would crumble. Even the Q would not survive such an event...
  • gulremalgulremal Member Posts: 153 Arc User
    +1 on fixing/revamping the Defera. I love that place, but it didn't really age well.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,164 Arc User
    gulremal wrote: »
    +1 on fixing/revamping the Defera. I love that place, but it didn't really age well.
    Used to have so much fun there but it doesn't really work with todays power creep. Defera used to fit into the game really well when it came out but as you say it has not aged well at all. Then again I find the entire Borg storyline a complete mess and worse then the original. Would love the devs to revamp Defera and bring back the real STF raids that we used to have. Still keep the current short Borg TFO's alongside the old style ones.
    I wouldn't care if it was repair or replace. Right now Defera is really only good for ground Borg kills, not actually doing anything important.
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,205 Arc User
    > @somtaawkhar said:
    > (Quote)
    > As I recall, one of the Cryptic devs was asked about a combined space/ground TFO in the last two months, and mentioned that various engine changes over the years mean they couldn't do that in TFOs anymore.
    > (Quote)
    > (Quote)
    > (Quote)
    > Defera is in an awful catch 22 situation.
    >
    > According to Cryptic, the reason why they haven't fixed it is because Defera is not only super buggy, but also literally incomplete. The Defera we have was supposed to be part 1 of a multi part series of updates that simply never got made.
    >
    > They have said that, at this point, it would cost less money to simply scrap the whole thing, and make a new one from scratch. But while that is the less expensive option, its still not an inexpensive option. So they can't justify doing it unless the story gets back to Borg related content, like how we are getting all these Year of Klingon updates due to the current story being Klingon focused.

No its possible, just not with how the STF system is.

Ever since STFs became Queues they haven't been combined ground and space missions even years ago.

All they would have to do is make the STFs raids and make them like how they were originally, i.e. you make a team, pick up the mission, then you all enter it from sector space.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
    It may be doable, but STO is also a bit more causal than the other MMOs I've played. If they were to impliment a raid like thing, it would probably have to be a seperate entity from the existing queues so that people who want the existing ones can go for those if they wanted.

Also... FF14 has you queue up for raids rather than go to any particular location to enter them. You have to go to that location to unlock them through a quest chain, but it does open up the particular raid in a queue system. Also queuing up as a DPS tends to mean long wait times due to people not queuing up as much as healers and tanks.
  • livinlifejb90#4082 livinlifejb90 Member Posts: 218 Arc User
    Pretty much the problem with the galaxy in general.

theres only about 2 or 3 species/groups from Trek canon that I could really see putting up a real threat to the Alliance. We have slapped down everyone else at this point.

That does make me wonder where STO is supposed to go storywise. Because it does kind of seem like they've run out of things, and threats to do.
    gQytlm7.jpg
    That does make me wonder where STO is supposed to go storywise. Because it does kind of seem like they've run out of things, and threats to do.

Well... there is Andromeda, and all that unexplored territory in Delta.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    As long as there are Star Trek shows on the air, I can’t imagine STO running out of material. Discovery was renewed for Season 4 already (YAY!) and we have the upcoming Brave New Worlds, Season 2 of Picard, Section 31 and even Lower Decks.. they are going to have all the material they could ask for.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,950 Arc User
    Right now Defera is really only good for ground Borg kills, not actually doing anything important.

It can still be a nice place for players wanting a good dose of XP, Dilithium, Omega marks, Borg Neural Processors, and Fleet marks.

Sure, being a level 50 scaled battlezone makes even the four Defera Hard missions very easy for properly equipped and experienced end-game players like yourself, but many players starting out on their journey have learned basic ground warfare mechanics and the rewards of playing as a coordinated team there over the years and it seems there are players that still find it an interesting place.

There's even two in-game channels dedicated to getting teams together for Defera hard missions...

/channel_join FEDdefera

/channel_join KDFdefera

pottsey5g wrote: »
    gulremal wrote: »
    Used to have so much fun there but it doesn't really work with todays power creep. Defera used to fit into the game really well when it came out but as you say it has not aged well at all. Then again I find the entire Borg storyline a complete mess and worse then the original. Would love the devs to revamp Defera and bring back the real STF raids that we used to have. Still keep the current short Borg TFO's alongside the old style ones.

I'd like to see a revamped Defera and real STF raids brought back as well :smile:
  • jhymeldev#0987 jhymeldev Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    https://media.giphy.com/media/1AfMOd1TdSU0vN9OQt/giphy.gif

Me stumbling on this thread. Sorry I missed it a few weeks ago, bring these topics to the stream and we can chat!
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,403 Arc User
    edited October 2020

Me stumbling on this thread. Sorry I missed it a few weeks ago, bring these topics to the stream and we can chat!

Welcome to the forums. Will you also get a fancy title indicating you are Quality Assurance or something like that? Thanks for your answers and your explanations about why some of the questions cannot be answered, fall under the NDA, etc. I really enjoyed the livestream last night. You do not deserve the flack that you are getting from some. Passion from STO players is one thing, some attacking Cryptic is another.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • jhymeldev#0987 jhymeldev Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    sthe91 wrote: »

Welcome to the forums. Will you also get a fancy title indicating you are Quality Assurance or something like that? Thanks for your answers and your explanations about why some of the questions cannot be answered, fall under the NDA, etc. I really enjoyed the livestream last night. You do not deserve the flack that you are getting from some. Passion from STO players is one thing, some attacking Cryptic is another.

I'm not 100% sure if I'll get a fancy cool title haha. Thanks for enjoying the stream! The more I get comfortable with the idea of speaking to everyone I'm sure the experience will get even better!

As for the flack, it's totally fine. I think some people want the stream to be something it isn't and can't be. Not everything will be for everyone, and that's ok. Talk to ya Friday!
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,403 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    sthe91 wrote: »

I'm not 100% sure if I'll get a fancy cool title haha. Thanks for enjoying the stream! The more I get comfortable with the idea of speaking to everyone I'm sure the experience will get even better!

As for the flack, it's totally fine. I think some people want the stream to be something it isn't and can't be. Not everything will be for everyone, and that's ok. Talk to ya Friday!

Agreed. See you then if Deus vult.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
This discussion has been closed.