test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Not a fan of the new Sythn wave TFO

Comments

• peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    > @captiannemo117 said:
    > You could strap a generator to his corpse, and power a small country from it.

:D
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • telkazutelkazu Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    I find the TFO ok.

what I don't like, is that they treat it like a event, that has happen in the timeline we in, when no lore in the game, speak abut it, and never has.

I can accept, if they treat it, as a possibility, that can happen.
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    For me, my biggest complaint is the music. It needs to go! Sure, I can turn the music off but it turns off the music for the whole game. I like some of the in-game music but this TFO I would prefer had none over the nails on a chalkboard stuff it currently has.

I think the way to improve it would be the length. As it currently is, maybe that could be more of the Elite side just with much harder enemies. Make an Advanced version that takes away one of the rescue phases to bring it down to two instead of three. Shorten the last onslaught of enemies as well with less damage than Elite. For Normal, I would like to see only a single phase of rescues. Keep the enemies the way they are now and significantly reduce the wave after wave of spam at the end. That way, I think most people would find a variant they would enjoy. 20 days is definitely way too long for this grind!
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,111 Arc User
    jcsww wrote: »
    For me, my biggest complaint is the music. It needs to go! Sure, I can turn the music off but it turns off the music for the whole game. I like some of the in-game music but this TFO I would prefer had none over the nails on a chalkboard stuff it currently has.

I think the way to improve it would be the length. As it currently is, maybe that could be more of the Elite side just with much harder enemies. Make an Advanced version that takes away one of the rescue phases to bring it down to two instead of three. Shorten the last onslaught of enemies as well with less damage than Elite. For Normal, I would like to see only a single phase of rescues. Keep the enemies the way they are now and significantly reduce the wave after wave of spam at the end. That way, I think most people would find a variant they would enjoy. 20 days is definitely way too long for this grind!

Agreed, the music for this TFO sounds like an 8-bit MIDI file from a late 1980s era DOS game when sound cards first came out for PCs; compared to the majority of other BGM in the game (some of which I quite like).
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    The whole premise of the TFO is somewhat horrible. The timers are far too long and too many identical stages. Nothing you do helps you get through faster. Even worse, the more ships you rescue the longer the last phase is (that is simply ridiculous). Even with the bugs gone now this is tedious at best.

Of course I know why it is built this way but still. People unable to afk the last event probably got them a lot of angry feedback :D . I really enjoyed the last one as everything I did mattered and changing around my ship set up for it made sense and helped me out greatly. Of course if you didn't have someone to finish it for you it must have been horrible. In 4 out of 5 runs I basically finished everything on my own. Didn't care, was fun.

And or the smug "then don't play it idiot" people....it's a featured TFO with an absolutely OP reward if you like Sci builds you will later only get for hundreds of dollars in Mud's market. So yeah "don't play it" simply doesn't sound like a grand idea.

One thing though, props to Cryptic for allowing people to play it solo or with 1-2 friends. Anyone that didn't know, just go to private queue find it in the list and click start. Every TFO should be playable with however people you like. I hope that wasn't a "happy accident" and the private queue system will change all together at some point.

Umm...yeah so it's still bugged. Ships can still get stuck. And while I heard that there is suppose to a hard timer now for the last part just in case...if it is, it is set so too high to matter really.

I don't know about a hard timer for the last part, but I did watch it very carefully since the tuesday's patch - I've done it multiple times on secondary characters because of the no cooldown for the marks... boring as hell, but at least it starts consistently - and the "solution" they found is HILARIOUS: there's a transport that still just sit there on beta... but now, instead of having to let the synth destroy it, it just WARP OUT (through the base, mind you) 15/20 seconds after all the other transports on beta have started their run for the beacon. I laugh my head off every time I see it because really, if this doesn't speak of "I've got no idea what went wrong so I have no idea how to fix it properly", nothing will.
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • reven#3304 reven Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    People, much like the borg, have adapted quickly to the bugs. For the past four days I've been able to complete it without any issues since everyone is either just shooting drones or beaming people to transports while avoiding everything else.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    For me - it's too easy. I mean hell, this was supposed to be an attack the Federation couldn't stop; yet the ship's the Synths have do nothing. Just for a lark, I ran one just firing and flying around, not using a single click console or Boff ability; and hell, my ship shields barley ever dropped below 75%.

This TF is yawn inducing for it representing such a major attack that set Mars ablaze.

Yup....no threat at all...just another shoot-em-up just with some busy work stuck in...and the ai is incredibly annoying as they fly around like little gnats and are constantly flying out of range in the middle of a fight when you're trying to either beam up or beam down survivors

BGM for this one also makes my ears bleed
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User
    I currently cannot think of a single TFO which has provoked such an adverse reaction and i dread the fact that i need to run it 10 more times to finish the event in time (work schedule does not allow me to play the FE instead).

Time gates and bugs, is there anything remotely enjoyable to this TFO.
    Cut the number of times we need to run it to finish the event in half to balance the time required to finish it.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    questerius wrote: »
    I currently cannot think of a single TFO which has provoked such an adverse reaction and i dread the fact that i need to run it 10 more times to finish the event in time (work schedule does not allow me to play the FE instead).

Cut the number of times we need to run it to finish the event in half to balance the time required to finish it.

If you speedrun the episode, go through dialogue fast, go directly to the patron you need in the orion bar etc, it takes around 20 mins. Its not fast but not too bad and saves you running the worst TFO made in recent years

Edit: using a drone-master engineer is a fast way of doing the battle parts with little effort too - the drones do the work
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User

Which is probably why they put this set as the reward, Science is seeing a rise in power and this set is a nice set for Science. They put a nice set behind a uninspired mission so you'll slog through it anyways unless you absolutely hate Science
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,593 Arc User
    I've been very tempted to sit by the station put a coffee cup on the spacebar and walk away for 15 minutes.. that or just buy the damn thing out.. onjly thing is I don't know if the set is even WORTH all this
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    Agreed, the music for this TFO sounds like an 8-bit MIDI file from a late 1980s era DOS game when sound cards first came out for PCs; compared to the majority of other BGM in the game (some of which I quite like).

I thought the same thing. It was kind of jarring - I kept thinking "what decade are we in again?"
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
  • duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    Played it for the first time today. It's average, but then considering the idea of the TFO, not sure what they could do to make it better. I appreciate a TFO that's not just "KILL STUFF!!" but for what we're doing, it does seem a bit long. And I assume it's a no-fail on a timer so you just do stuff and wait for it to end. Not sure which event I want to do for my daily requirement. I've already done the other mission 9 times (once of each alt) but might prefer additional runs of that vs any more of the Synth Attack? *shrugs* Depends if I want more than 1 of the sniper polearm weapon per toon...
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    i don't even get why the transports are gathering at the starbase anyway...they should be hauling TRIBBLE away from mars at best possible speed - unless they're evacuating the station, but then why are the reactivated combat ships staying behind in that case?​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • discojerdiscojer Member Posts: 533 Arc User
    joshmaul wrote: »

I thought the same thing. It was kind of jarring - I kept thinking "what decade are we in again?"

That's the point of it though. There is a type of music called Synthwave which is basically modern music that sounds like it was made in the 1980s

However, for some reason, instead of using that style, they seem to have gone with Chiptune, which sounds like music made on 80s era home computers and video game consoles.

• diocletian#7546 diocletian Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    I have been playing it solo for the last four runs and find I like it much more that way and it ends in less than 15 minutes. I have grown accustomed to the music and pay no attention to it in the background. All and all I can say I like this TFO now.
    discojer wrote: »

That's the point of it though. There is a type of music called Synthwave which is basically modern music that sounds like it was made in the 1980s

However, for some reason, instead of using that style, they seem to have gone with Chiptune, which sounds like music made on 80s era home computers and video game consoles.

I think I would rather have Rick Astley playing in the background and I don't even like his music!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I don't hate it exactly. But I do feel like nothing I do here matters more than any other we've had before. I enjoy powering up the battleships and watching them take off. After that kind of lose interest.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

I think I would rather have Rick Astley playing in the background and I don't even like his music!

Going to try if Disturbed or Rammstein on the background makes this TFO remotely bearable.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    > @sheldonlcooper said:
    > I don't hate it exactly. But I do feel like nothing I do here matters more than any other we've had before. I enjoy powering up the battleships and watching them take off. After that kind of lose interest.

Thanks, I’ll try that. I’m still stuck in that nothing I do there matters phase. :'(
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • eladonwarps#6040 eladonwarps Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    I've been testing out my best "solo run" score on each build. I know it won't reward as much as a full 5-person team, but it gives me a benchmark for how many I can save given a specific character's speed, ability to protect ships once filled, and how well I can cover the map during evac. Since it tallies it up for you at the after-action briefing, I figure why not. It'll give me an idea of how much I'm contributing during team runs, as well. I figure if I can hit about 35, which is approximately 1/5 of the total possible points, I'll be okay.
    Call me "El," she/her only. I love my wife and I don't care who knows it!

Going to try if Disturbed or Rammstein on the background makes this TFO remotely bearable.

Both of those are excellent bands and are a massive improvement over the music the TFO has.
  • jozen#9312 jozen Member Posts: 102 Arc User

Guys, the tune is "Mars, The Bringer of War" from the suite called "The Planets". I will admit that it is a poor recoding. The nails on a chalkboard should sound like stacatto flutes and strings
    jozen#9312 wrote: »

Guys, the tune is "Annoyance, The Bringer of Headaches" from the suite called "The Planets". I will admit that it is a poor recoding. The nails on a chalkboard should sound like stacatto flutes and strings

I fixed that for you! :P They could have gotten creative and used something like this, which would have been better.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGfkPCZYfFw
    jozen#9312 wrote: »

Guys, the tune is "Annoyance, The Bringer of Headaches" from the suite called "The Planets". I will admit that it is a poor recoding. The nails on a chalkboard should sound like stacatto flutes and strings

I fixed that for you! :P They could have gotten creative and used something like this, which would have been better.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGfkPCZYfFw

Kill it with fire.
    Kill it with fire.
    >Hating the Floppotron
    Not cool bro.

I'm open to suggestions, how about cooling it down to absolute zero?
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,500 Arc User

Both of those are excellent bands and are a massive improvement over the music the TFO has.

The TFO is rather bizarre with Girls Dead Monster as background music (it is too long for just one tune). I haven't tried others so far (I hadn't intended to have the music player running in the background in the first place, I was tired and forgot to shut it down first) though I would imagine some of LiSA's bouncier stuff or Kalafina's somewhat eerie tunes would make for a nice effect.
This discussion has been closed.