test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Not a fan of the new Sythn wave TFO

This is a long TFO and I don't really like playing it. I've played at least twice and not received any daily credit for running it. Sometime, the TFO seems like it won't end and goes way past 20 minutes. Very frustrating.

I hope Cryptic does something with this TFO or the grind to get to 20. I'd like to make it shorter or add another option to get daily credit like some Klingon patrols.

The featured episode is ok, but I don't like playing that over and over again.

Comments

• livinlifejb90#4082 livinlifejb90 Member Posts: 218 Arc User
    I actually really like the new TFO and think (besides the bugs) its fine the way it is. I actually like how long it is. Considering most TFO's barely last 5 minutes. This one actually feels like I'm doing something. It feels like an actual TFO and not something people can just steamroll through. I hope they don't shorten it and just fix the bugs.

And people that don't like it can just not play it.
    gQytlm7.jpg
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    Me neither OP.

What an uninspired map with tasks we already did a thousand times over.

Zero impact of my starship build.

Auto conclusion.

My teddy sitting on spacebar can handle the AFK check.

Nothing what you do there matters.

Captain Kirk turns in his grave as we play it.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • spacehermitspacehermit Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    I actually really like the new TFO and think (besides the bugs) its fine the way it is. I actually like how long it is. Considering most TFO's barely last 5 minutes. This one actually feels like I'm doing something. It feels like an actual TFO and not something people can just steamroll through. I hope they don't shorten it and just fix the bugs.

And people that don't like it can just not play it.

I agree. A welcome change. But maybe not for 20 consecutive days!
  • bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    I agree OP. IMO this is probably one of most boring and perhaps the worst TFO ever created. It was unplayable last week and has improved this week but still long and boring. The music does not help either.

Funny, they used to discuss about long episodes or expansions in this MMO and now we are left with just one mission and one mediocre TFO. I guess by next year standards we should just be grateful with a patch being made for this game. Times do change and STO taking a deep dive with virtually no content nor even a server that could stand even a new TFO. Just be happy for what is around before they sunset this MMO. Enjoy it while it last.
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,164 Arc User
    Really like it myself. Love the way we can play it solo and I love the length of it. The only thing that is missing is it badly needs an advanced and Elite version.

Done a Transphasic only run, now my next run is going be a solo hanger pet only run. I tend to ignore the rescue of people as that bit is just downright tiresome and boring in the way it works. Instead I just go for none stop blowing stuff up.
  • eladonwarps#6040 eladonwarps Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    I know forums tend to draw out extremes, but if in-game chat is any indication, this is definitely a love or hate one for people. I'm in the "Love it" camp for a few reasons. One is that the enemies don't hit as hard, allowing you some focus on completing the rescue mechanic. They clearly made it the priority for good rewards. Spreading out and working on your priority of rescue so ensure the most impact. It feels like I'm doing something, even in the face of impossible odds. I've had to learn more precise piloting so that I stop precisely where I want to, something I was more used to "fudging" in other TFOs. The fact that the mark reward builds up so well on a good run really feels worth it, especially compared to some other content. Mama's trying to fill a T4 Fleet Starbase :p

I'm gonna try a solo run later just to see how I do. The fact that that's an option is pretty cool, since I can more precisely see the answer to, "Was it me or was my group mediocre?" And I'm very interested in seeing what may happen with a possible Advanced or Elite version. Maybe they'll put in minimum rescues, or bring back the old "dropping shields during transport" mechanic from Counterpoint, Riposte, etc.

I also really hope they never change the music. I was disappointed when To Hell With Honor came back without "Ride of the Valkyries," but it was less of a big deal there, while it's more meaningful here. I'm a music teacher, and the fact that they worked a pun into the score still tickles me. ( "Mars, the Bringer of War" from The Planets by Gustav Holst. Done on synthesizer. During a Synth attack on the planet Mars. C'mon :D )
    Call me "El," she/her only. I love my wife and I don't care who knows it!
  • lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    I find it the worst TFO released the last 3 years in my tastes.

Definetely not everyone will dislike it and not everyone will like it, but I actually liked a lot of the previous ones. I even liked To Hell with Honor, which wasnt too popular
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    most of it's just boring, tedious busywork - something i absolutely LOATHE in any queue, and i don't even get the satisfaction of watching mars get kharak'd at the end to make up for it

at least they finally seem to have stamped out the bugs with ships getting stuck - why the hell they spawn ships THAT close to a massive object KNOWING how much small things like to get stuck inside large things in video games, i have no earthly idea​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,100 Arc User
    For me - it's too easy. I mean hell, this was supposed to be an attack the Federation couldn't stop; yet the ship's the Synths have do nothing. Just for a lark, I ran one just firing and flying around, not using a single click console or Boff ability; and hell, my ship shields barley ever dropped below 75%.

This TF is yawn inducing for it representing such a major attack that set Mars ablaze.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    "It's our greatest TFO ever, and the players love it."
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    So fun sitting there half the time when ships get stuck and you have to basically AFK while the enemy NPC kill em so you can finish the run.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,774 Arc User
    This might not be a popular opinion but I just don't like TFOs in general, I normally just avoid them, but unfortunately I'm also one of those players who have to do every mission in proper order before continuing onto next arc.
  • livinlifejb90#4082 livinlifejb90 Member Posts: 218 Arc User
    > @somtaawkhar said:
    > (Quote)
    > Pretty much my opinion also.
    >
    > STO has always had a big problem in that it lacks the same sort of substantive end-game content other MMOs have. Be it dungeons, raids, or even end-game open world content, such content in other MMOs can often take an hour, if not longer. TFOs in STO rarely take more then 10-15 minutes. It barely feels like I've done anything in them.
    >
    > While I wouldnt want it as an event TFO, I wish Cryptic would make an hour long+ TFO for that real end-game content feel.

Yeah as an event TFO its a little tedious. I like that I can use my imagination with this TFO. Last night I was doing it and I was using my Hestia, and during the last 2 phases where things become the most chaotic I parked my Hestia under the domed part of the station and just pretended that when docked correctly my ship became a canon defense platform for the station. Tapped into its power grid and everything.

It also think that a lot of the hate for this TFO is just more of the "I hate everything cryptic does and i'm gonna make sure everyone knows it." and "I hate cryptic because I can and because everyone else is doing it". Which is just so tried and boring at this point.

But I'm with you. I would LOVE if they made longer TFO's that actually feel like missions. I would really enjoy a TFO where you actually need to invest time with a team to complete it.
    gQytlm7.jpg
  • theantisainttheantisaint Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    Cut one phase off, or shorten the phases by 20%+speed up beam up/down, other than that it's tolerable.
  • hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    My paranoid side wonders if this TFO wasn't made deliberately undesirable because there was some underlying goal to make the new episode appear exceptionally popular.
  • lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    hanover2 wrote: »
    My paranoid side wonders if this TFO wasn't made deliberately undesirable because there was some underlying goal to make the new episode appear exceptionally popular.

They wouldnt gain anything from that, I dont like the result either but I am sure nothing was on purpose - just everything was rushed is my guess. If they dont bug test enough and do not try their content to see if it is fun as well, then there is a chance it will suck. It wont happen always but sometimes they will pay the price of overconfidence. Lets hope they will be more careful in the future and test content at least a week before releasing
    edited October 2020
    > @hanover2 said:
    > My paranoid side wonders if this TFO wasn't made deliberately undesirable because there was some underlying goal to make the new episode appear exceptionally popular.

Na its alright. Ok its perhaps a little paranoid in consideration of the story mission but not at all if you begin to think about the buyout option we got for events. 😏
    animated.gif
  • trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    Its time like these that I see content being made and think to myself I could have done something better myself. The best thing Cryptic can do is come up with other interaction methods than pressing F and starting and stopping and starting and stopping. Once they remove the carrot from the stick content like this that is boring never gets played because people figure out that their time and interaction means nothing to Cryptic or PWE when they make content that doesn't reflect quality interaction and gameplay. Anyways that is my two cents because its not just these newer TFO's its a long history that has also been the major reason why battlezones become too boring to play because you do a whole lot of nothing but wasting time staring at a bar to fill up. Plus I know you can do better than this so please fix this problem and provide more quality interactions.
    edited October 2020
    > @livinlifejb90#4082 said:

> And people that don't like it can just not play it.

Besides your „unhappy people should leave“ suggestion here is another one of yours not making you look very understanding as to what is going on.

STO is an RPG, ok? If you look up the definition of such games progressing ones characters is one if not the central aspect.

Suggesting not to go for the means to progress our characters is like suggesting to leave out the jumping part of a jump and run game, or the reloading in a shooting game, or the kicking in a fighting ga... I think you get it. 😏
    Post edited by peterconnorfirst on
    animated.gif
  • tharsonius42tharsonius42 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    The whole premise of the TFO is somewhat horrible. The timers are far too long and too many identical stages. Nothing you do helps you get through faster. Even worse, the more ships you rescue the longer the last phase is (that is simply ridiculous). Even with the bugs gone now this is tedious at best.

Of course I know why it is built this way but still. People unable to afk the last event probably got them a lot of angry feedback :D . I really enjoyed the last one as everything I did mattered and changing around my ship set up for it made sense and helped me out greatly. Of course if you didn't have someone to finish it for you it must have been horrible. In 4 out of 5 runs I basically finished everything on my own. Didn't care, was fun.

And or the smug "then don't play it idiot" people....it's a featured TFO with an absolutely OP reward if you like Sci builds you will later only get for hundreds of dollars in Mud's market. So yeah "don't play it" simply doesn't sound like a grand idea.

One thing though, props to Cryptic for allowing people to play it solo or with 1-2 friends. Anyone that didn't know, just go to private queue find it in the list and click start. Every TFO should be playable with however people you like. I hope that wasn't a "happy accident" and the private queue system will change all together at some point.
    Post edited by tharsonius42 on
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    The IDEA behind this TFO is great. I like it. The EXECUTION of that idea, on the other hand, not so much. And, well, the bugs, that goes without saying.

It should have taken its design cues from Pahvo Dissension ground TFO (which, IMO, is one the better designed TFOs). Fixed goals within a fixed time limit, but you can meet those goals early and advance to the next phase. Ex: phase 1 could be rescue 3 frigates, 2 cruisers, 1 battlecruiser, and 6 transports within the same 5 minute window. But if you get that done quickly, it automatically advances to the interim 'Beams of doom incoming!' phase. And then it repeats, directing players to rescue another set of ships. And then again. And finally (and most importantly) just a simple timer for all ships to escape orbit. No more parading to rally points or any of that nonsense. The ships hang out around the station, showing transporter animations to indicate they're clearing off the station's crew. Once the time is up, all ships warp out with however many crew they've saved. The more ships you successfully rescue, the more crew gets beamed off the station, the more marks you get awarded for successful crew saves. Ships that get destroyed remove their crew score from the final tally.

Done this way, it would still play almost exactly the same, but it would be much more stable and award players for coordinating and acting quickly by speeding things up. So instead of taking 25m minimum, it might shrink down to something closer to 16-18m with a highly coordinated team.

This I agree with a lot.

One of the issues I have with this STF is it showcases just how awful the targeting in this game is. Because the synth ships zip around so fast, playing a cannon boat is very frustrating, having them in front of you then behind you or otherwise out of your arc, and not being able to retarget to something in front of you quickly makes it very unenjoyable. FAW or even BO from a beam boat doesn't have the same issues at all.

But the STF utterly fails to give me a real sense of urgency in anything. The Synths can't realistically blow up the ships they shoot at, so not only do I not care about killing them, but I don't care about healing the ships, and I don't have to say, speed up my efforts to get to a ship before the Synths blow it up. There is no point in destroying the synths either.

It could use less of the ridiculous infinite respawn mechanic and more of a hotspot sort of mechanic like the Undine Assault STF where you have things happening between the lanes while you're beating them back and making room for the portal scanner ships to work, and your damage output at least can give you a little breathing room from the continuous respawns if its high enough, and on a team level, you can get people breaking off to deal with the new issue if the others can handle the immediate objective.

I would have 'surges' of synths that spawn and make a concerted effort to destroy ships clustered in some part of the area, and you have to do something to stop them or they actually will succeed. Meanwhile you could actually clear out the synths, at least temporarily, without the instant respawn and endless combat. I know people like to blow them all up, I do to, but if they just instantly respawn, why should I bother trying?

Along with this, the game has some actions break on taking damage or moving. Those are honestly stupid, however, if instead taking damage moved a tiny little fraction of the bar backwards that didn't stop you from beaming up people but just made it take longer, there would be more of a reason to actually kill the synth ships, again assuming they wouldn't instantly respawn, or alternatively, it gives tanky FAW spammers a reason to exist, grab aggro from everything while other players can focus on rescue.
This discussion has been closed.