test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Bridge stations

cmillington1cmillington1 Member Posts: 31 Arc User
Why don't the bridge stations open from ensign to commander depending on the rank of the bridge officer stationed at it, or a captain through level 65 admiral have the ability to change that in gameplay.

Best Answer

Answers

• cmillington1cmillington1 Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    before anyone asks how this is a bug, I'm not sure. Just posting where support said to try posting
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,979 Arc User
    Not a bug @darkbladejk @wingedhussar#7584 please move to a more appropriate sub forum
    as already stated, but apparently you can't read, I posted where I was told to post, if you have a problem with it take it up with the support team. eazzie
  • divvydenddivvydend Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    The bridge stations are set to a rank, and will only display the skills available for the rank designated. It doesn't make any difference which rank your bridge officer has, if you put them in a station designated as Ensign then only the ensign skill will be available. I assume this is what your question was about.
    No that is not at all what i'm asking, that part's quite obvious, being none have changed since everything else on my ship opened up at the rank of captain. With all the weekly shard maintenance, and new features added, can't the development team add in a way to unlock the rest of the ensign or lieutenant stations once a player reaches the rank of captain, or rear admiral lower half?
    To make this a bit more understandable, the stations are kinda like dealing with children through to the age of 18, They start out with a leapfrog toy laptop (ensign station), and advance with age, and maturity, so by the time they're 18 they have a full out Laptop, or desktop with full functionality (commander station)
    As I already said that's obvious, and it shouldn't be that way. Please if you're going to respond don't respond with saying the same obvious thing already said, which is not an answer.
    No I don't need a different ship, due to the fact it's the same way, doesn't matter what ship you have.
    It's not an officer layout I'm talking about. does any one understand plain english, or do i need to draw this out in crayon for whoever reply's next
    I said I don't need another ship due to the fact that on any ship owned an ensign station is still ensign no matter what and a lieutenant station is the same doesn't matter what field, or rank the officer is. I'll make this simple for you to understand, The developers need to add in a way with all their shard maintenance, that they're constantly doing for a player to open the rest of the abilities in a station once they reach a rank of captain, or rear admiral lower half. It's similar to how if you purchased a t6 ship, and start a new character, over half of your ships available spaces are locked until you reach captain. if your ship normally has 4 front and aft weapons , you only have 2, device slots the same way 2 of your device slots are locked until you reach a certain rank, and your consoles are the same. If the developers can lock all that til a certain rank is reached why haven't they done the same for bridge officer stations?
  • inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 3,929 Arc User
    Do you mean that at level 5, say, when you are a lieutenant, your bridge officer stations go up to Commander on your T6 ship?
    If so, it's worth noting that even though the higher rank abilities show up, even at lower ranks, your bridge officers only get to use the abilities that are available with their ranks.
    i.e. A level 5 (Lieutenant) player can have a T6 ship with Ensign, Lieutenant, Lt Cmdr, and Commander abilities present, but because those Bridge Officers are all only Ensigns at that stage, only the Ensign abilities can be used. The other abilities might appear to be doing something, but I don't think they are until the Bridge Officer is promoted to that rank.
    (At least, I think it works like that...)
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
    No that' close but still not what I'm saying. on any ship you have your bridge crew stations vary from ensign to commander, and on any T5 or T6 ship there are typically 5 stations, and even though you're high enough in rank to promote your crew to commander the stations all stay the same. With a T5 or T6 ship there needs to be a way to unlock the lieutenant through commander abilities on an ensign bridge station.
    The only ship in the game I know of that has every station like i'm trying to explain, is an iconian ship that you steal in a mission where you wind up reactivating all of the iconian gateways.

You're a level 65 Admiral, and your bridge crew are all commanders, Your bridge crew stations however are not, you have an ensign station, 2 lieutenant stations, a lieutenant commander and a commander station. (What's wrong with this picture)?
    what you all aren't getting is the only reason I posted in the forums in the first place because it was a suggestion by the support team. For your information mr westmetals I'm not mad, however I'm starting to get that way with all of the pointing out the obvious, and your own comments as well.
    According to the support team, if I posted on the forums, the developers may actually see what I submitted my ticket to them for a bit faster.
    None of it was intended to be any kind of discussion, discussing it with anyone other than the game developers is about as useless as your comments.
    Do all of us a big favor, Unless you are one of the game developers keep your comments to yourself.
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,979 Arc User
    Do all of us a big favor, Unless you are one of the game developers keep your comments to yourself.

Sadly you will not get a dev to answer you here :)
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator
    Put the flamethrower down and drop the attitude, it will get you nowhere fast. I would prefer this get resolved civilly but if that's not going to be possible i will lock this thread. Now I am going to give you an opportunity to step back, and explain what you're asking slowly, as there is miscommunication somewhere.

When you say you were told to post here by support I'm assuming you still have the ticket number available. If you do then PM that ticket number to me please. I am not discounting that you had an encounter with customer service, I am simply trying to get to the bottom of this. If you're asking what it sounds like you're asking, then support should not have told you to post here in the forum as there is no bug, and your ticket would have been mishandled. When you give me the ticket number I intend to inquire on your behalf what is going on. If there is a legitimate issue I will fire off a report up the chain. If your ticket has been mishandled then the folks I report to will want to know so it doesn't happen again.

With that out of the way the boff system and ship stations work like this. Each bridge officer you have is capable of being promoted up to the rank of commander and using up to 4 bridge officer powers. If you are not currently a captain rank or higher, then your bridge officers will only be able to use powers that are ranked 1 rank below your rank until you are high enough to promote them to commander. If for example you are Lt Commander Rank, then your boffs can use Lt and Ensign rank powers. When you reach commander rank you can promote them again to Lt Commander and they can use Ensign, Lt, and Lt Commander rank powers and so on until they reach full rank. If a station on a ship is commander rank, but the boff themselves is Lt Commander rank, the boff will only be able to fill and use abilities up to the rank of Lt Commander as they have not yet obtained the maximum ranking necessary to utilize all 4 ability slots of that station.

Now with that in mind, each ship has a specific bridge officer station layout determining which powers can and can't be used in that seat. I will use my current ship of the Voth Rampart as an example. The ship has a Commander Engineering/Cmd seat, Lt Cmdr Sci, Lt Cmdr Tactical, Lt Universal/Miracle Worker, and Ensign universal. Think of it as each ship only having enough resources to support so many abilities at once. As such they divide the resources between the different departments based on the "needs" of that particular ship if you will and what its intended mission is.

Take the Lt Commander Tactical slot of my Rampart for this example. This means only a tactical officer can sit at that station, and they have been allotted enough ship resources to be able to utilize up to Lt Commander ranked tactical powers. The ship resources do not allow them to utilize all 4 ranks of power, even though they may have learned all 4 ranks of abilities. The bridge officer seating on my Rampart will always be what it is since there is no way to upgrade those seats. I cannot for example turn that Lt Commander Tactical into a Commander tactical seat, it will always be a Lt Commander tactical seat. If I want to utilize a Commander rank tactical power, I will have to use a different ship. This is not a bug but an intentional design choice made by the developers. No ship is meant to be able to do everything. If it was that would be extremely overpowered and that's the only ship anyone would ever use.
    No that' close but still not what I'm saying. on any ship you have your bridge crew stations vary from ensign to commander, and on any T5 or T6 ship there are typically 5 stations, and even though you're high enough in rank to promote your crew to commander the stations all stay the same. With a T5 or T6 ship there needs to be a way to unlock the lieutenant through commander abilities on an ensign bridge station.

When you make statements like this, it tells me you are wanting to upgrade bridge officer stations and allow that ensign seat to become a Commander seat. Thus instead of being limited to only ensign rank powers, it can now utilize anything Ensign-Tactical. Similar to upgrading the seat on my Rampart from Lt Cmdr Tact to Commander Tac, allowing it to utilize 4 tactical abilities instead of only 3. That's never going to happen, and if it ever did it wouldn't be any time soon. Yet you say that's not what you're asking. If you're not asking to upgrade bridge officer seats, then what are you asking? Because the way you've been asking is not comprehensible if you're you're not asking to upgrade the seats.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
    edited October 2020
    (private correspondence redacted) - darkbladejk
    edited October 2020
    (flame/troll post removed) - darkbladejk
    Post edited by darkbladejk on
    Darkbladejk, thanks
    My question for everyone on here who has stated none of it can be changed, How do you know unless you Try?
    my statement is, If no one ever tries nothing ever changes.

edited October 2020
    (flame/troll comment removed) - darkbladejk
    If the developers set a way to purchase bridge station upgrades, there wouldn't be any problems. if done that way you could do one station at a time, for say 1,000 to 3,000 zen per skill upgrade in the station. If they can do their recent T6 ship upgrade module, adding another device slot, a universal console, and a new starhip trait, There's absolutely no reason this can't be done either.
    edited October 2020
    (flame/troll post removed) - darkbladejk
    you're the one not listening, it wouldn't do any such thing if it's limited to a select bit of higher ranked ships, and actually have to be at least a rear admiral lower half for it to be available, Then it would add more revenue, not take away, because by that time you have purchased a T6 or fleet T6 ship. So not everyone would have it and even once unlocked would still increase revenue per skill for each station.
    You have 5 stations
    only one of them has all 4 skill slots open, among the other 4 stations you have 11 skill slots that are currently unavailable each one for one station at a time is purchased starting at 1000 zen, and going up from there.
    Ensign bridge station ()[][][] ensign to lieutenant station ()()[][] 1,000 zen, lieutenant station()()[][] to lieutenant commander station ()()()[] 3,000 zen.
    This would add more revenue, because now not only do they have the ship sales along with everything else, which by the way is quite a lot, now the have another revenue increase from adding a station unlock feature.
    With as many players as there is world wide, just this alone would be millions in revenue added.
    If you have 2500 players per state that purchase just the first one that's 25,000 dollars, add the rest of the states, along with all over the world, plus new players starting daily.
    So Westmetals you are wrong about the revenue problem
    There's also another one that I have spoke with support about being purchasing 2 extra bridge officer slots.
    Once purchased and commissioned where do you put them? I was trying to suggest yet another revenue building set up, where once those are purchased you have the availability to purchase 2 bridge stations starting at ensign for say 3,000 zen each.
    One of my points with this is if you go in the game and visit starship bridge look around at all of the empty stations, even if you have 8 bridge crew members, then you buy the 2 added members there's several stations open, but not available. The 8 members will be stationed at various locations on your bridge, the newest 2 are nowhere to be found.
    The only way purchasing 2 extra bridge officers is any use whatsoever is at lower ranks, but then it comes back to bite you in the rear.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator
    edited October 2020
    I advise you guys to listen as I'm only saying this once, drop it and put the flamethrowers away. Your opinion isn't automatically right just because it's your opinion, nor is the other person automatically wrong because they disagree with you. If you can't voice disagreement civilly then it's best not to speak at all.

@cmillington1 I'm going to ask you straight out. Previously you said you weren't asking for bridge officer stations to be upgraded, yet now that appears to be exactly what you're doing. If your complaint is that you can't use Ensign-Commander powers on an ensign seat then that is an intentional design choice and working as intended, which is not a bug. Since you've said you weren't asking for boff seats to be upgraded I'm going to ask you this final time, what is your complaint? What do you want them to do and what are you calling a bug? This part of the forum is meant for bug reporting only and is not meant for feature requests.

"Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
This discussion has been closed.