test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

skills invalid

Comments

• Options
    darknovasc01darknovasc01 Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    I have already decided I am not respeccing any of my characters until I absolutely have to.

I am Autistic, STO has become part of my coping mechanisms over the years as Star Wars Galaxies did before it, and my somewhat unusual approach to playing reflects that (I have five accounts with around 100 characters, have the same expansions such as the Legendary and Vanguard packs on all five, but do not engage in any of the dilithium farming most would associate with that many characters, nor have the same focus on upgrading items and builds that many have).

Even just thinking about updating all those characters has caused me more stress than I would like in the single day since all of this started. So, since I so rarely change most aspects of my characters, and I already found in my brief playtime yesterday that the skills still appear to be in effect and do not cause any basic gameplay issues, they can just remain 'broken' indefinitely.
  • Options
    theantisainttheantisaint Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    Oh lort...I have so many toons. This will hurt...
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    Oh lort...I have so many toons. This will hurt...

Just focus on the ones you intend to play on for now. Don't burn yourself out.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    I went ahead and respecced all of the families' toons since I don't know if or when they will play them, so didn't want their accounts messed up.

Did my F2P acct earlier since it has fewer characters (much fewer) than my main LTS acct. Will work on those 20 probably in a bit since I just had a nap after doing all of the others.

I'm just happy I didn't lose any characters. I rather reset skills than worry if I'm gonna get them back with what they left with.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    > @theantisaint said:
    > Oh lort...I have so many toons. This will hurt...

Yeah, it sucks big time. There is simply no spin that changes that.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    I probably should be happy I didnt get to double digit amount of characters yet
  • Options
    chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    To repeat a tip offered earlier by another, you can speedup the process of skill reset with this handy tip.

Double-click on the skill, and then hit Enter twice to confirm.
  • Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    The skills on my main character didn't go invalid till after I did an upgrade to the T6-X ship level. Then I noticed it show up.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    > @doctorstegi said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Honestly I mark the day in the calendar when they bring new stuff out and don't TRIBBLE something up. I doubt it will ever happen though.

They got rid of the Calendar so you can't do that. :)

LOL too soon LOL
  • Options
    foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    So, I have this issue like most Captains but one thing I don't really get..

What happens if we just ignore it? My skills are still allocated, it didn't clear them it just has a skills invalid message at the bottom of my character box.

Am I missing something or can't we just ignore it and leave things as they are?

[EDIT] - I found the answer on Reddit.. here it is.

Per Borticus:
    This is known, and we intended to list it in the patch notes.

Please accept the free respec by pressing the provided reset button. If you do not, your skill/trait/spec trees will be locked and stuck, preventing your character from functioning correctly in many regards, including (but not limited to):

Unlocking new Traits (of any kind - Personal, Starship, Reputation, etc.)

Changing Boff Specs

Purchasing new Spec Tree Talents

This respec is required due to a re-optimization that was performed to re-write some poorly optimized and error-prone code. There are no player-facing functionality changes.

Source.

With so much respecing for players to do I see now why this information was "accidently" left off the latest patch notes.

Thousands of players & who knows how many characters? Oh wait Cryptic knows how many characters there are probably by a weekly basis if not daily.

Again, a free respec is a potential silver-lining but it is also a lot of hassle for any player with many alt characters.
  • Options
    To repeat a tip offered earlier by another, you can speedup the process of skill reset with this handy tip.

Double-click on the skill, and then hit Enter twice to confirm.

This is what I do, made things go much quicker on the accts I got done today. Just have my main acct, with 17 more to do. Though I just double click and hit enter just once to confirm.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    [Edit] Nevermind.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,600 Arc User
    Quote from Reddit thread:

level 2
    Borticus-Cryptic
    Puts Stuff Here0 points ·
    1 hour ago

This is known, and we intended to list it in the patch notes.

Please accept the free respec by pressing the provided reset button. If you do not, your skill/trait/spec trees will be locked and stuck, preventing your character from functioning correctly in many regards, including (but not limited to):

Unlocking new Traits (of any kind - Personal, Starship, Reputation, etc.)

Changing Boff Specs

Purchasing new Spec Tree Talents

This respec is required due to a re-optimization that was performed to re-write some poorly optimized and error-prone code. There are no player-facing functionality changes.

So, if I am reading this correctly, 1) They knew about the issue 2) 'Forgot' to put it in the patch notes 3) Appear to expect everyone to click on 'Respec' and do the work for them, redoing their setup on every single character they own.

I am not sure whether I want to laugh or cry, its so ridiculous and sad at the same time

yep it suuuuucks
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    ee3452pee3452p Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    @borticuscryptic
    @crypticspartan#0627

This is absolutely unacceptable.

Every programmer novice knows how to read in old data, and convert it to a new position in a new dataset, and then save the result. You don't need to be super-pro for this. The very fact that Cryptic didn't spend the man hours to do this, so now thousands of players have to put in THEIR man-hours to respect all of their characters is absolutely unacceptable. Just take five people who have to respect ten characters each, ten minutes per character to also get the space and ground builds again, and you would probably have the time needed to actually fix this. That this went through quality-assurance or that anyone ever could have allowed this to be released in this state is beyond words.

I originally intended to buy two three-packs of the experimental upgrade tokens. Now I just will completely ignore this feature, no money from me Cryptic.
    A zero cost way for Cryptic to finance and expand the foundry

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1247522/foundry-sunset-april-11th-2019/p15

Look at my post about a Foundry Ship

BRING BACK THE FOUNDRY!
  • Options
    Hmm, they should add a feature that saves point distribution; similar to the way outfits are saved.
  • Options
    ee3452pee3452p Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    so since then, i just logged on yesterday from a week or so absence, i have skills that are invalid? does this effect my gameplay then? seems i am more susceptible to dmg now. sad. just sad.

Currently, you have to manually click "reset" on the skill tree, reallocate all points, and redo your space and ground traits as these are erased aswell. ON ALL CHARACTERS. @crypticspartan#0627 @borticuscryptic As you can guess, we are hoping for a more efficient way that this is autofixed with the next patch, so characters that haven't went through the process see no changes compared to their normal skill tree.
    A zero cost way for Cryptic to finance and expand the foundry

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1247522/foundry-sunset-april-11th-2019/p15

Look at my post about a Foundry Ship

BRING BACK THE FOUNDRY!
  • Options
    Finally got all of my main acct done before bed last night. Did the family's and my F2P acct the day before. Wasn't too much of a pain, just time-consuming. Time I generally have anyway, unlike some, who only have so much time to get ingame. It would be really inconvenient for them.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    The bright side for me was I found 2 of my alts had a somewhat messed up set of Skills.

At least I got to fix those for free.. so silver linings right? :smiley:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    Silver linings are always nice.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    The bright side for me was I found 2 of my alts had a somewhat messed up set of Skills.

Yes, like that character I had specced into the science ultimate. Glad to have an excuse to fix that.
  • Options
    starcruiser#3423 starcruiser Member Posts: 1,201 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    This really sucks...not even an expansion but a little more than a patch called "update" then they messed up skills BIG time. I only did one of my characters and will not bother with the other ones. I learned my lesson well but still one token doe s not do it. The should give all at least 3 for the trouble.
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    westmetals wrote: »
    ee3452p wrote: »
    so since then, i just logged on yesterday from a week or so absence, i have skills that are invalid? does this effect my gameplay then? seems i am more susceptible to dmg now. sad. just sad.

Currently, you have to manually click "reset" on the skill tree, reallocate all points, and redo your space and ground traits as these are erased aswell. ON ALL CHARACTERS. @crypticspartan#0627 @borticuscryptic As you can guess, we are hoping for a more efficient way that this is autofixed with the next patch, so characters that haven't went through the process see no changes compared to their normal skill tree.

Oh I was not and am not expecting an autofix. An official announcement covering the points that you made, and that the need to respec was intentional and therefore will not become unnecessary due to an upcoming patchfix, is what I was asking for.

True, i mean, i can understand that they need to do the changes, but a heads up, like "srry, we have to do this, i know it's a pain, but there is no other way to do it", would have suffice.. a lot of peaople will be upset, but at least we will know it was the only way, i guess
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    well so far i see no reason to respec. i'll do it only if and when it's absolutely necessary.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    neutronium09#8310 neutronium09 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    It's just that I have a dream, one day all the bugs will be wiped and patched from Star Trek Online. Please do not disillusion me by pointing out that in actuality this is likely a simple fantasy.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    > @neutronium09#8310 said:
    > It's just that I have a dream, one day all the bugs will be wiped and patched from Star Trek Online. Please do not disillusion me by pointing out that in actuality this is likely a simple fantasy.

As far as my DPS heart is concerned half the bugs can stay but the other half is overdue to be removed. 😛

But joking aside, jep this game has some serious problems as far as mechanics and functionality is concerned. But hey, with T6x we do not tend to broken stuff, we build on it! 🤗
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options

Yeah, I had lots of borked toons...too many. Sometimes painful things can be good...sometimes.
  • Options
    shadowkoshshadowkosh Member Posts: 1,688 Arc User
    Not happy about this have to respec 40 plus toons
This discussion has been closed.