test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Since we now have to respec ALL our characters

ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
...how do we save our skill set up so we can choose the correct skills again? Where's the built save in this game? Or rather, why isn't there?

And while we're at it, why wasn't it stated more clearly that we now need to respec a captain before we can do anything with them?
Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    we do?
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    Yup, the last patch left everyone's skills in an invalid state.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I know it's not something everyone will want to use.. but I keep copies of all my builds on STO Academy for stuff just like this. Yes, the main reason is because it makes builds easy to share, but it's always good in a time like this to have a template you can use to get your character(s) back where you want them. :wink:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    I know it's not something everyone will want to use.. but I keep copies of all my builds on STO Academy for stuff just like this. Yes, the main reason is because it makes builds easy to share, but it's always good in a time like this to have a template you can use to get your character(s) back where you want them. :wink:

Manually typing them in? Then I might as well just take a bunch of screen shots, that is waaaaay quicker. I was looking for an in game solution that means I do not have to spend 50 hours first copying all the info on my characters down then redoing them.
  • garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    I hope they fix this before it goes live on Console (Hah, as if they ever fix any known issues between PC launch and Console launch) becuase it take a solid 3 to 4 seconds for each skill point to lock in the selection. This is going to be annoying...

Does everyone get a free respec token for each character?
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    ilithyn wrote: »

Manually typing them in? Then I might as well just take a bunch of screen shots, that is waaaaay quicker. I was looking for an in game solution that means I do not have to spend 50 hours first copying all the info on my characters down then redoing them.

Yeah, that's why I said it's not for everyone. :lol:

I share builds a lot so it's worth it to me, it doesn't take me that long to fill out a template. If it's not for you, fine.. but the game does not provide any type of method for saving before you respec. Screen shots are probably going to be your only option.
    Insert witty signature line here.

Plus it's clunky as ****, I never understood how you actually save a build there or get it back once saved. Yes I have an account, yes I'm logged in.

Yeah, that's why I said it's not for everyone. :lol:

I share builds a lot so it's worth it to me, it doesn't take me that long to fill out a template. If it's not for you, fine.. but the game does not provide any type of method for saving before you respec. Screen shots are probably going to be your only option.

This game is literally from the last century. I can't think of another MMO that doesn't have a loadout save for a character. Like how is this still not a thing? Even Neverwinter which is by no means state of the art has that and have had it for year.
    Honestly compared to STO Neverwinter handles respec almost elegantly and that game can be something of a hippopotamus when it comes to forced respecs.
    garaffe wrote: »
    I hope they fix this before it goes live on Console (Hah, as if they ever fix any known issues between PC launch and Console launch) becuase it take a solid 3 to 4 seconds for each skill point to lock in the selection. This is going to be annoying...

Does everyone get a free respec token for each character?

It won't be fixed because it's an intentional breaking of the skills. Which they in their usual brilliant communication forgot to tell everyone about. So now all captains are broken until fully respecced.

And apparently not. Two of my captains have no respec option so apparently only some characters get it? Or maybe I just had some left on my others, who knows. Not like we're informed of what's going on.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    Honestly compared to STO Neverwinter handles respec almost elegantly and that game can be something of a hippopotamus when it comes to forced respecs.

To be fair... STO is their second game after CO. And it was thrown together under an extreme time crunch. I still remember how the skills were handled back around F2P. You could allocate up to 9 points into a skill rather than the much simpler version we have now.
    Compare what we have now to... this.
    8BC40118ABD6D457BC834D74730FDAB14B87835F
    Granted this is showing ground skills, but still... our current system is by far much simpler and more streamlined than what we used to have.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    well I guess I don't need skills lol.

-edit. My skills were not reset.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    I went through all my most used characters:

Fed, KDF, Rom, JH-Fed, DSC Fed, JH-KDF, TOS Fed and then I gave up. I even just reset the last two without reassigning the skills OR the traits. Because, yeah, it's the skills that are broken but it also removes the traits for whatever reasons.

And of course, if one or several of those traits are clickies, you gotta be on ground or space (or both in a row) to make sure they're back in their right placement in the power tray that still doesn't get properly saved.

Totally not tedious at all, especially with a mission AND a TFO filled with timegated endless waves of enemies running at the same period.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • goldenavarielgoldenavariel Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    My skills are not missing and they seem to work, or at least I don't feel like I lost any dps or speed or power levels, etc. But it does say "Invalid Skills" in the bottom right next to a retrain button. My lower level character that leveled tonight is unable to apply skill points.

I want a free personal respec for each character before I start going through them though. I have at least one on every character but I don't want to use them up on a forced retrain from an update.

By the way, you can use Windows' Snipping tool to make a pic of your skill tree before pressing the respec button. Being in Windowed mode helps. But I do agree the retrain is a pain. It was a big step backwards from the past when you could play with your build, moving points around all you wanted until it was just right then pressed a button to apply it... or cancel and be back where you started. We need to go back to that method. I don't want to have to go back to using the retrain officer but would if that's the only way. Does it even ask if you are sure you want to clear your points when you press restrain?

By the way, I think STO was their third game. COH, CO, then STO.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    Easy to agree with the OP. Especially that a reskill also unslots traits is hard to accept.

Boy was I glad that I have STO academy Sea mentions as I have forgotten so much the past year.

That’s on its own should say enough alright.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    rattler2 wrote: »
    To be fair... STO is their second game after CO. And it was thrown together under an extreme time crunch. I still remember how the skills were handled back around F2P. You could allocate up to 9 points into a skill rather than the much simpler version we have now.
    Granted this is showing ground skills, but still... our current system is by far much simpler and more streamlined than what we used to have.

I kinda miss the old skill tree design. I though the rank placement of some skills arbitrary, but then that can be said for the current one too. And each profession, if I remember right, had access to skill boxes the other 2 didn't? So if you wanted to be super space magic, you had to be a Science Captain. Made your captain's profession matter more than a few different buttons to press.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    For the moment my toons appear to be doing quite well even if the skills are somehow now invalid.
    Any respec will have to wait till the weekend when i have time to do so.

Only difference is probably that i have not reduced kit cooldown on some chars and this might be a good time to remedy that.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    It will be days of lots of clicking. All my characters have the same spec. You may laugh at it and yes, it is a jack-of-all-trade spec, but I do so the character can step into any ship and perform decently.
    It happens very rarely that I respec and once I clicked wrong and could start all over, blowing a token.
    There was a KDF mission which gave you a respec token. You could replay the mission and collect tokens. It was a bug of course Nobody mentioned it ever. I suppose because few play the KDF.
    rattler2 wrote: »

Yes I recall that system too. I don't mean that the skill system is simpler, I meant that in Neverwinter you can, or at least could last I played, save your setup both skills and gear, use the retrain token they give you for free in cases of forced respecs like this, then load your spec and get all of it back in one go. Only time it didn't work like that was when they did a complete overhaul of the skills and completely changed the system like from the old one here to what we have now.
    The fact that we still don't have spec saves in the game tells me that they really don't care about the game or the players. They've had 11 years to put it in there, Neverwinter didn't have it to start with either but got it after five years I think and when they the first of two skill overhauls I was there for. It could easily have been made part of the new (current) skill set up when it went live but it looks like it wasn't even considered that having that should be a standard.
    At least the skill UI is more responsive now. The way it was before, it was a never-ending slog getting it to act on your input. I say that having recently reskilled a bunch of characters (which I will now have to do all over again), and eye-rolling at the lengthy delays with every skill purchase.

No, it isn't. I just redid my main and I can't recall when the UI was last this sluggish. Not redoing my alt, I simply do not have the time on this side of New Year. And considering having alts is what's kept me around I can kinda guess what it'll mean or my playtime and general involvement with the game.
    I went through all my most used characters:

Fed, KDF, Rom, JH-Fed, DSC Fed, JH-KDF, TOS Fed and then I gave up. I even just reset the last two without reassigning the skills OR the traits. Because, yeah, it's the skills that are broken but it also removes the traits for whatever reasons.

And of course, if one or several of those traits are clickies, you gotta be on ground or space (or both in a row) to make sure they're back in their right placement in the power tray that still doesn't get properly saved.

Totally not tedious at all, especially with a mission AND a TFO filled with timegated endless waves of enemies running at the same period.

I had completely forgot about the power trays. I guess I'll be flying halfassed until I have a couple of hours to fix this, which might be some time next week.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    My skills are not missing and they seem to work, or at least I don't feel like I lost any dps or speed or power levels, etc. But it does say "Invalid Skills" in the bottom right next to a retrain button. My lower level character that leveled tonight is unable to apply skill points.

I want a free personal respec for each character before I start going through them though. I have at least one on every character but I don't want to use them up on a forced retrain from an update.

By the way, you can use Windows' Snipping tool to make a pic of your skill tree before pressing the respec button. Being in Windowed mode helps. But I do agree the retrain is a pain. It was a big step backwards from the past when you could play with your build, moving points around all you wanted until it was just right then pressed a button to apply it... or cancel and be back where you started. We need to go back to that method. I don't want to have to go back to using the retrain officer but would if that's the only way. Does it even ask if you are sure you want to clear your points when you press restrain?

The invalid skills respec is a free one. They aren't that cruel to charge you a respec for a bug.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    One thing that would be great would be a system to download a character dossier. A few games have them (usually via player mods) though most are not exactly complete either. The client should be able to assemble something like that without too much trouble, and a PDF, HTML, or just a sort of standardized character stat screenshot folder would make doing these respecs easy (though not as easy as a one-button save/load of course).

Having a printable character portfolio like that would enhance the RP aspects too, or at least it would for those who came to the game from a tabletop RP or LARP background anyway, and it would be another mostly unique point for the game after the loss of its other unique features (the Foundry and intergame chat).
  • goldenavarielgoldenavariel Member Posts: 110 Arc User

The invalid skills respec is a free one. They aren't that cruel to charge you a respec for a bug.

I was not aware of that. Good to know, thanks!

I still haven't found where a dev has explained why aside from what people have mentioned in this thread. What I've heard so far makes no sense to me as a programmer. If some skills changed enough that people might want to adjust their build then we'd need those particulars in the patch notes so we can use our free retrain properly.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Some people have reported that they did not get a Free Respec..

Funny how they were able to split Personal Ground and Space Traits, though. Still not for Reputation Active. I only did my Character that I was going to run the TFO with last night.

The thing about the old Skill UI was that you could allocate all the points before you had to save. The new one requires you to save after each point allocated, thereby being more friendly to them in that if you scr*w up a point allocation it is another Respec and start over.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    It wasn't a bug. IT was an intentional skill reset done because they changed some of the underlying code of the skill system.

But yeah, they aren't going to charge you for it.

Oh not a bug? So you don't have to respec the character and everything will be fine? Okay.
This discussion has been closed.