test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Thanks for the notification on the server down

Comments

• ralphgraphiteralphgraphite Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    Good thing the community manager only works days....oh...yeah. Well, at least the german twitter tweeted. /s

For a company that wants me to spend upwards of 60 bucks to upgrade all my toons' ships, and another 60 to pad our my 300 dollar legendary pack, think they could afford to let us know what is happening...

Yes, I know I can grind and eventually do it for free, but what they want is for us to buy, no?
  • Does anyone have an ETA yet on when the server will be back up.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    Great been in this boring new TFO since 15 mins and then boom server down. Good job Cryptic thanks for the advanced notifications.

I was not in game and not effected by this, but that is completely unacceptable behavior. All I can say is I'm sorry for the lack of respect you were shown as a customer.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • razartrek1razartrek1 Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    "Down" for me aswell
    "My life spans millennia. Legions have risen to test me… My ascendance is inevitable. A day, a year, a millennium—it matters not. I hold the patience of stone and the will of stars. Your striving is insignificant. Let your death be the same."
  • riker101#4460 riker101 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    was not real intended as i came to read ..people talking that servers really crashed as it poof ..if that so then wil be long time brfore back up again
  • cxeronockxcxeronockx Member Posts: 154 Arc User
    If you want a good joke about the status of the server (s) of STO, you should check the following link

https://pingserverstatus.com/startrekonline.php
    yea lol i have seen it online right lol
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,980 Arc User
    cxeronockx wrote: »
    If you want a good joke about the status of the server (s) of STO, you should check the following link

Too funny to comment
  • o0galathor0oo0galathor0o Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    chipg7 wrote: »
    I imagine that QA while working from home is a new type of hell.

What QA? *lol* Don't think they have one.

~ Don't blame the clown for being a clown, blame yourself for going to the circus ~
    tryed 3 diferent sites for server check 1 believe this one shows server online and goood ping a other shouws server status green and yet a other only ? marks lolzzz i stopped using these unreliable things beginning to believe sto is going down with the sites on that
  • dragunfyrdragunfyr Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    He's dead, Jim. You get his tricorder, I'll get his wallet.
    Eu44IrT.jpg
    al is working as intended people all is fine :expressionless:
  • puttrek#3578 puttrek Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    The server is not available at this time 14.39 UTC .This remind me some old game 10 years ago.
  • kalenathkalenath Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    Don't think it was intended. The whole game has been behaving strangely since the server came up yesterday.

No joke. Two ships listed as ready, unable to reset stations for either of them, parts swap in the middle of battle, uniforms messed up, etc...

Not JUST STO though. LOTS of games seem to be having issues these days with all of the 'work from home' stuff that is happening.

tryed 3 diferent sites for server check 1 believe this one shows server online and goood ping a other shouws server status green and yet a other only ? marks lolzzz i stopped using these unreliable things beginning to believe sto is going down with the sites on that

Showing that STO is online is false readings because yes it is online, but the part that allows you to login is offline
    clhleroy wrote: »
    Does anyone have an ETA yet on when the server will be back up.

I've tweeted them as most things get tweeted these days by Kael. But thus far no response.
  • kalenathkalenath Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    eazzie wrote: »

Showing that STO is online is false readings because yes it is online, but the part that allows you to login is offline

So, servers are up, but login server is down. Okay, WHO let the Borg in there? You KNOW how messed up they make stuff!
  • tryed 3 diferent sites for server check 1 believe this one shows server online and goood ping a other shouws server status green and yet a other only ? marks lolzzz i stopped using these unreliable things beginning to believe sto is going down with the sites on that

That is because the servers can be online but if there is no access to the servers then it will show online and no ping because the ping cant actually access the online servers. Essentially the network is down not the servers itself.

Have an uncle who in working in networking in a collage and I learned this from him as well as a few other things.
  • chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User

That is because the servers can be online but if there is no access to the servers then it will show online and no ping because the ping cant actually access the online servers. Essentially the network is down not the servers itself.

Have an uncle who in working in networking in a collage and I learned this from him as well as a few other things.
    I was reminded on Reddit that this is typical for launches on Epic's launcher. GTA Online was knocked out within hours of going live through Epic. So if the STO servers themselves are online, Epic might've killed the login system.
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    Does anyone have an ETA yet on when the server will be back up.

I've tweeted them as most things get tweeted these days by Kael. But thus far no response.

Don't be surprised when he randomly copies and pastes something about another unscheduled maintenance from like 8 years ago as a reply. :P
  • cannydogcannydog Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    I just noticed that the address for the ARC forums is 'Not secure'... If the same thing applies to the STO servers then they might be an easy target to hack. At the very least I don't want to stay because I don't trust Cryptic anymore.
  • cannydog wrote: »
    I just noticed that the address for the ARC forums is 'Not secure'... If the same thing applies to the STO servers then they might be an easy target to hack. At the very least I don't want to stay because I don't trust Cryptic anymore.

Nine times out of 10 if the servers never actually went down just the network, the servers themselves are still protected. Just because the website says not secure doesn't mean the server aren't. Learned that from my mom who also works at a collage doing IT mostly because they recently got TRIBBLE but thankfully there protections prevented data corruption and loss of data because the server that was TRIBBLE had its own protection. No dout this is how most Companies with huge servers make sure there data is protected and secure on those servers.
  • id10terrordfw#8252 id10terrordfw Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    cannydog wrote: »

That "Not Secure" is due to the comment with Kirk being awesome. It's not secured content. That's not Cryptic's fault, really, other than allowing hotlinking to insecure images on the forum.
    cannydog wrote: »

Mine's secure
  • eagletalaneagletalan Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    Servers have crashed hu. That explains why I can't get in.! Although, I didn't have any problems yesterday, everything went fine for me. This must be some random glitch. (ghost in the machine).
  • doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    SIGH...seriously...they need to scrap this whole update, give everyone the reward for the latest event and scrap anything they have planned until they get their house in order for anything new.

You know that wont happen. They rather release more broken stuff as long as promo and lock boxes are selling.

Damned if you do, damned it you don't. Cryptic isn't making much off STO. PWE, the owners of Cryptic, takes in nearly all the revenue. Which presents them with the choice of squeezing the playerbase dry to keep PWE happy, or keep the players happy and have PWE squeeze Cryptic dry...and then the studio gets shuttered and some other team takes over with the same choice -- squeeze the customers dry, or get squeezed dry by PWE.

Yeah i m sure they don't make any money and do that purely out of love for the player base. But since you seem to know how much they make can you share some of that information?
    C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    cxeronockx wrote: »

Just an FYI, a tool like this isn't exactly accurate.

The server actually is up. Launch the game and put in your password, it connects and you can launch the game. When it gets to the page where it shows your characters, it times out connecting to the login server.

The game server itself actually is up, it's the login server that's down so sites like this accurately show that the game is up even though no one can get into it.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • eagletalaneagletalan Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    Broken Direct X for many
    Broken Free Phoenix Boxes
    Broken TFO
    Broken Server
    Yep House Shattered

LOL
  • fluxcapacitor#9257 fluxcapacitor Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    It shouldn't really be a surprise to anyone that the patch was defective. STO has been a barely held together cobbled piece of spaghetti code for a long time. Unless it's an active money-generating change, fixes just don't get done. They actually admitted that the forge was taken out because they couldn't maintain it - they had had so much turnover no one knew how it worked any more. Risa's broken day/night, pieces of missions ripped out years ago still hanging around, references to diplomatic cluster missions, bits of old event decorations littering places. Years old bugs in basic abilities. The fact that substantive changes can never be made without breaking things in totally unrelated areas of the game. These are hallmarks of badly understood, badly written spaghetti code where the maintenance is poorly funded.

More troubling are their attempts at hypermonetizing literally everything. The fact they don't have money to even spend on proper music - look at the new Synth TFO, it's a badly done MIDI rendition of off-copyright music (Hosts' Mars Bringer of War). Where the money is going no one knows, but it's not on content and it's not on programming.
This discussion has been closed.