test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

skills invalid

lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
Just a heads up, check your skills page if it has "skills invalid" next to retrain button - most people I know had that problem after last patch. You just got to set your skills again, which is a bit of a pain if you got to do it on more than 5 toons
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• ussvaliant2#1952 ussvaliant2 Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    Yeah I noticed this 38 TRIBBLE characters I have to fix due to Cryptic's anti-coding. Plus getting plenty of SNR and disconnects thrown in for good measure
    https://i.imgur.com/r6F7yxj.jpeg
  • darknovasc01darknovasc01 Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    This is the sort of situation where you would hope for a rollback while they fix the (apparently several) issues, including missing characters of all things - no doubt at best we will get an emergency maintenance and anyone already affected will be left to pick up the pieces themselves
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    Yeah I noticed this 38 TRIBBLE characters I have to fix due to Cryptic's anti-coding. Plus getting plenty of SNR and disconnects thrown in for good measure

I lost 3 of my 28 chars, so check for your chars that there is no one missing
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
    gaevsman wrote: »

Thanks all accounted and present thank god
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,110 Arc User

Ouch.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User

Thanks all accounted and present thank god

I have some other reports on Reddit, it seems that they are also old chars, from circa 2012, so please check your chars and make sure nothing is missing.
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    My 9 chars are all present, but all had their skills invalid

To add to this in case some people are newer to the game and never had "skills invalid"(I last remember it on ViL launch), after clicking "retrain", you not only have to set your skills again(ground and space) but you also have to set your traits again - so if you had some nice build you may want to write skills AND traits down before retrain unless you got it memorized like I do
    Quote from Reddit thread:

level 2
    Borticus-Cryptic
    Puts Stuff Here0 points ·
    1 hour ago

This is known, and we intended to list it in the patch notes.

Please accept the free respec by pressing the provided reset button. If you do not, your skill/trait/spec trees will be locked and stuck, preventing your character from functioning correctly in many regards, including (but not limited to):

Unlocking new Traits (of any kind - Personal, Starship, Reputation, etc.)

Changing Boff Specs

Purchasing new Spec Tree Talents

This respec is required due to a re-optimization that was performed to re-write some poorly optimized and error-prone code. There are no player-facing functionality changes.

So, if I am reading this correctly, 1) They knew about the issue 2) 'Forgot' to put it in the patch notes 3) Appear to expect everyone to click on 'Respec' and do the work for them, redoing their setup on every single character they own.

I am not sure whether I want to laugh or cry, its so ridiculous and sad at the same time

So, if I am reading this correctly, 1) They knew about the issue 2) 'Forgot' to put it in the patch notes 3) Appear to expect everyone to click on 'Respec' and do the work for them, redoing their setup on every single character they own.

I am not sure whether I want to laugh or cry, its so ridiculous and sad at the same time

Standard incompetence that we have to come to expect from this Dev Team
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    So, I have this issue like most Captains but one thing I don't really get..

What happens if we just ignore it? My skills are still allocated, it didn't clear them it just has a skills invalid message at the bottom of my character box.

Am I missing something or can't we just ignore it and leave things as they are?

[EDIT] - I found the answer on Reddit.. here it is.

Per Borticus:
    This is known, and we intended to list it in the patch notes.

Please accept the free respec by pressing the provided reset button. If you do not, your skill/trait/spec trees will be locked and stuck, preventing your character from functioning correctly in many regards, including (but not limited to):

Unlocking new Traits (of any kind - Personal, Starship, Reputation, etc.)

Changing Boff Specs

Purchasing new Spec Tree Talents

This respec is required due to a re-optimization that was performed to re-write some poorly optimized and error-prone code. There are no player-facing functionality changes.

Source.
    Insert witty signature line here.
    I posted the same quote from Reddit, a few posts above. Doesn't look promising, does it?

I also wondered the same thing you did - I looked at my stats on the character I checked, and they seemed unaffected, and performance in an advanced TFO appeared normal. And, to be blunt, there is absolutely zero chance of my performing a respec on the approximately 100 characters I have.

I am afraid that this patch, with its many apparent issues and the way the the new TFO and mission play (when they work), may be the final straw for some people without some serious efforts to not only fix the problems but to apologise for putting it live in this state.
    I can confirm that while this error is present, you cannot change Bridge Officer Specializations. So you can't change a BoFF from Intelligence to Miracle Worker for example.. it doesn't let you.

There are other issues that might pop up down the road as well, it's probably best to respec if you can. I 'only' have 10 characters so it's a minor issue for me, but if I had 30, 40, 50+ I would be far more annoyed.
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,981 Arc User
    Thanks for the heads up.

Now I know why I couldn't spend a spec point on a toon this morning.

Seems I have a fair number of characters to respec. To look on the bright side at least some of them needed it and also am not missing any thank goodness.
    This game is getting to the point where it feels like a fragile antique and anytime a Dev approaches to make any changes I have the feeling of please for the love of god look but don't touch, as you know it's going to end up broken.
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    Wow, that is creating a lot of hassle maintenance work for players by Cryptic. Avoidable & just lazy or not avoidable this is a hot mess considering the thousands of STO player there are. The silver-lining is that it is a free respec!
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,494 Arc User
    I have 31 characters across two accounts so it will take a while to get them all through the respec. Hopefully there is not a short time limit on it. If there is no time limit then there is no problem, I usually rotate through them in a week or two anyway and a few a day is no big deal (in fact the chance to respec for free is a nice boon).
    I can confirm that while this error is present, you cannot change Bridge Officer Specializations. So you can't change a BoFF from Intelligence to Miracle Worker for example.. it doesn't let you.

So, even after re-spec'ing all my characters.. I still can't change BoFF specializations.

This is yet another bug from this patch.. this is really getting old.
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User

So, even after re-spec'ing all my characters.. I still can't change BoFF specializations.

This is yet another bug from this patch.. this is really getting old.

Ouch, if your situation is everyone's situation then this is even worse than previously thought.
  • captainkoltarcaptainkoltar Member Posts: 895 Arc User
    I am not able to slot my new Experimental ship trait. I thought that this was because of the skills invalid thing, so I retrained my skills - and am still not able to slot it. Anyone else getting this?
    edited October 2020
    I am not able to slot my new Experimental ship trait. I thought that this was because of the skills invalid thing, so I retrained my skills - and am still not able to slot it. Anyone else getting this?

No, everything from the ship upgrade has worked quite well for me, it's everything else that appears borked.

Does the trait slot show as locked?
  • doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,183 Arc User
    lordmerc22 wrote: »
    Just a heads up, check your skills page if it has "skills invalid" next to retrain button - most people I know had that problem after last patch. You just got to set your skills again, which is a bit of a pain if you got to do it on more than 5 toons

Honestly I mark the day in the calendar when they bring new stuff out and don't TRIBBLE something up. I doubt it will ever happen though.

C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    ... if I had 30, 40, 50+ I would be far more annoyed.

Extremely annoyed here. Respec'ing every alt I have will probably take weeks, especially considering how little time I already have to play. As long as there is no time limit on doing this, as phoenixc mentioned, then I suppose it'll be alright. But in a week or a month when I've forgotten and I switch to an alt who hasn't respec'd, it'll bring a whole new level of misery.

It's a shame they don't have a test server where they could present new content to the players and have it gone over by those outside their little circle to see if there's anything they might have missed.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,110 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    And why didn't they put it in the patch notes? probably intentional as they added the game to the Epic online store and you DON'T want to showcase the SERIOUS issues your MMO ROUTINELY HAS EVERY Q!@#$! PATCH to new players before
    they spend money (and since this one probably doesn't affect new toons made from scratch...)

What, they CAN'T edit their patch notes once they're posted? yeah right, whenever they there's an error they don't catch in other blogs (IE - They promise somethin g because they too often just cut and paste from previous blogs without EVER actually PROOFREADING what they copied...<--- That posted blog gets changed/fixed/updated in SHORT ORDER. But yeah, 'known issues'? Not at Cryptic.

TLDR: Cryptic to old/existing players..."f**k you!"

Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    This game is getting to the point where it feels like a fragile antique and anytime a Dev approaches to make any changes I have the feeling of please for the love of god look but don't touch, as you know it's going to end up broken.

It happened when they released ViL too, the first day back then all in the same Armada I asked had skills invalid. Its probably an old problem returning at times from copy-paste parts of older code
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    > @doctorstegi said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Honestly I mark the day in the calendar when they bring new stuff out and don't TRIBBLE something up. I doubt it will ever happen though.

They got rid of the Calendar so you can't do that. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
This discussion has been closed.