test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Welcome to House Shattered

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
Starring J.G. Hertzler, Robert O'Reilly, and Rekha Sharma, House Shattered is live now on PC! This latest story update contains a brand new mission, a new TFO, Experimental Ship Upgrades and more!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11479303

Comments

• saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    Well, that was impressive.

Putting so many "endless waves of enemies until a timer is down" parts players have been voicing their disagreement about in one single story mission is quite the feat.

Also, I'm surprised
    nothing went too horribly wrong considering how many times we carry the idiot ball and do things that could have (and had) ended badly:
    -entering an arena just expecting Madran to be here alone and not trapping us
    -not having an attempt of a contingency plans in case of transporter-disrupting field, despite having been subjected to that several times, especially in the very last mission
    -not expecting a trap in the bigass room when it's made clear someone is trying to interfere with the hacking and knowing your location
    -still not shooting the bad guy while he's gloating
    -letting the only person to crack the code, prove your innocence and wreak J'mpok's plans alone with the totally-proven-to-be-trustworthy *cough* J'Ula
    -not blowing up J'mpok's ship once he's all alone and boasting about his new plans
    -the Klingons freaking letting J'mpok dissolve the Sena... High Council like that after he's been exposed to everyone.

Also, why does the crew of the Coldstar even exist? Only Wilkins does anything, the captain has a few mandatory lines (and not a single comment about the fact he's a Na'kuhl and the Orion lady doesn't even get anything.
    Just get rid of them and keep only Wilkins and everything would be the same.

Oh, yeah, also, WHAT ABOUT THE PEOPLE WE SAVED?! And even then we don't even need them to clear our names!

On one side, you have a few veteran heroes, including one who saved Qo'Nos from the Undine, secured the Delta Quadrant Alliance, made the Iconian leave, who was contacted several times by the Prophets, who uncovered the Female Changeling's plot and helped defend the Founders' homeworld, who helped stopped an attempt at disrupting the seeds of the Galactic Union, exposed the Tzenkethi crusade as a false flag op, etc...

On the other, you have the guy who supposedly killed the former Chancellor, who later ended up alive and held captive and tortured by one of his closest allies, who made peace with the Federation after keeping saying they'd be none, who then refused to assist the Quadrants and leave them to die under the Hur'q assault, who doesn't have the Sword of Kahless... and who has the reality-shattering weapon on HIS ship when accusing you to have used it.

How is this even possible without a lot of people going "Errrr, Chancellor, with all due respect, I think you're kinda wrong and may need some proof to this accusation... coz currently you're the one who's kinda sus, even with J'Ula at their side who could very well be their prisoner right now".
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    on Partisans: my reaction the great house just going is can I join them? yes lets leave these two idiots to kill each other. so you made a stupid over the top targ that didn't do any thing except look sillyand we don't even get one completely pointless.

on mars bringer of war: this is just sad, I can't even be outraged about how badly you gutted it, it's just to depressing.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    I'll just be brief here..

The Mission - I liked it well enough, but I agree with everyone else.. it sucks that it's a huge time gate that can't be sped up in any way. We have to do either this or the TFO over and over to get the event reward, it would be nice if we didn't have to spend all day doing it. The story line I like aside from the usual silly stuff like not just shooting the bad guys while they're monologing for no reason, or continually letting people go that try to murder us over and over again. Aside from that, good story but the time gates leave a bad taste.

The TFO - After Best Served Cold and now this.. Cryptic needs to stop making TFO's completely. Best Served Cold was the worst TFO this game had.. until today. Utter trash, no fun.. just wave after wave of garbage time. It's buggy, it's pointless, it's a total chore and it just completely sucks. The better you do rescuing ships the more you're penalized in the next phase by bugs.. just terrible.

The event reward is going to be a slog.. there are only two ways to get it.. I guess the mission is the least painful of them both, but I am not looking forward to playing it every day for 2 weeks.. that's going to get old fast. The TFO is not an option just complete buggy garbage.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,205 Arc User
    The Advanced Phaser Beam Arrays from the Discovery Constitution are now bugged with this patch, only getting 20% from their buff instead of 60%
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    Well, that was impressive.

Putting so many "endless waves of enemies until a timer is down" parts players have been voicing their disagreement about in one single story mission is quite the feat.

"this... I don't think we ever got so many time gates in one mission. And I have never felt more useless. Whether I joined the fight or not didn't make any difference. I got so annoyed, I got up to get a cup of coffee, and when I returned Wilkins was finally done with her console... only there were two more to go.

I really don't get the reasoning behind such design decisions..
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,980 Arc User
    Shame many players can't experience the new content and may lose out on the event due to a direct x error message which has yet to be addressed.
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    well I tried syth wave, now I wish the gutted mars mission was part of the event, it being a glorified patrol would have been a much less painful way of doing this event.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • commodoreobviouscommodoreobvious Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    Synth Wave froze cuz one battleship was stuck and wouldn't warp out.

Couldn't claim free Prize Pack for some reason (clicked to start mission with Oona and Grym on two different characters, never actually git the mission)

The Episode's story was good, play was a little grindy. Yeah the laser targ was silly, but its a videogame so whatevs.
  • eugeneoneileugeneoneil Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    I got stuck in the TFO, and managed to fix it. I flew next to the transport ship that was bugging out, let myself die, and my warp core breach took the bugged transport out with me allowing the TFO to continue. Not ideal, but it fixes the problem.

Also, the daily free phoenix box isn't working for me. Tried it in both DS9 and Drozana Station. I click the button to accept the mission, but the mission isn't actually accepted, or completable. That's a bug I can't fix with a warp core breach.
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    The event reward is going to be a slog.. there are only two ways to get it.. I guess the mission is the least painful of them both, but I am not looking forward to playing it every day for 2 weeks.. that's going to get old fast. The TFO is not an option just complete buggy garbage.

Not 2 weeks, darn near 3. You need 20 days out of 30 to get the rewards. And I agree, at 2 weeks it would have been really bad considering how horrid the queue is. But with it being 20 days, I am seriously considering taking the next month away from STO. I won't have time for the mission so I won't even be bothering with it.

Today was a really bad day, which isn't surprising considering it's day one of a new content drop. So I'll give it a chance again tomorrow, but if it goes even remotely like today...
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Was this willikins person a character shoehorned in from discovery or something because they do nothing that the player doesn't normally do much faster in other missions?

Cryptic still haven't realised that red blobs over a background with red lines really doesn't work well for that stupid regurgitated scanning minigame, hate to think how bad that'd be for colourblind players.

Laser targ, because the laser dino in the bar wasn't enough of a sharkjump already.

Played through on each account and it bugged for the 2nd and instead of starting at a checkpoint midway through the mindnumbing gorath timegates it dumped me just after the nimbus section. Not worth going back and redoing it for a rubbishy blue mk11 weapon, it'll sit in the log for a few years waiting to never be fixed.

TFO music might have been a good choice if it wasn't such a god awful sounding midi file on such a short loop. Holst requires something more vangelis on it, not baby's first stylophone.
    edited October 2020
    Was this willikins person a character shoehorned in from discovery or something because they do nothing that the player doesn't normally do much faster in other missions?
    Probably their newest VA. It's always like that: get a new big-name VA in Star Trek and give them many lines for the sole reason to say "hey, it's that VA, listen as long as possible to that new cool VA we have!".

#TASforSTO
  • inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 3,932 Arc User
    Kill enemies for X minutes over and over again?

I had high hopes for the new content but was left feeling quite disappointed.

Go back and look at how waves of enemies are handled in the missions you haven't yet removed from the game and please *learn* the proper way to do things in a game and stop turning it into a chore!

Can we at least have a high-res wallpaper of this image?
    a5a1ce6bc51a1453691d84984c954abb1601948868.jpg
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    Ugh, the patching process has gone so god awfully slow.
    avoozuul wrote: »
    Ugh, the patching process has gone so god awfully slow.

Oddly this was one of the few times that the prepatch actually worked and patch day didn't require the entire thing to be downloaded.
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    Well, i don't get this weird fascination with lagging players to death with massive enemy spawns...

So, the beginning of the new TFO wasn't too bad, but it turned into a lag festival pretty quickly, tried my best in rescuing those people, but ended up lagging outside that shrinking safe zone on my way to the space station and being nuked. It then took a really long time to respawn, i couldn't even pick a reward at the end, and the finishing touch was a server disconnect.

But hey, at least i got that daily participation thingy done, right? I guess i'm going to wait with using those Experimental Ship Upgrades until they work properly...

Anyway, going to give the new episode a try tomorrow, but reading through this thread, i have no high hopes for that experience being much better then the one i had today with the new TFO.
    Post edited by regenerde on
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
    Also, why does the crew of the Coldstar even exist? Only Wilkins does anything, the captain has a few mandatory lines (and not a single comment about the fact he's a Na'kuhl and the Orion lady doesn't even get anything.
    Just get rid of them and keep only Wilkins and everything would be the same.
    The Coldstar has been featured in multiple story blogs dating back to 2016
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Coldstar
    Oh, just great!
    To know a bit of what those characters did, I have to read 3 unrelated blogs from respectively 4, 3 and 2 years ago!

They could have gone "Here's my contact Wilkins, part of the Coldstar crew, you may not have heard of them, but they did quite some cool stuff, like bringing the Ferengi Quark to Karemma to help solve the Hur'q crisis, but that's not important right now." to give a nod and tie them to the storyline, but without that, you wouldn't even know they were featured before.

And reading the wiki, the Orion lady wasn't even present, but Onna, one of the Phoenix Prize Pack contacts was. And currently she is present to give those free daily packs.

Just adding her instead would have been a much better nod, but no they had to go with a new character that brings nothing to the story. Even without Onna saying a line, it'd have been enough to have the players go "hey, wait a minute, I know you! Is that where all those Phoenix prize packs come from? Makes sense now".
    #TASforSTO
  • fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    Word of warning ; ; ; ; I hate cutscenes and the ones in that mission MUST be played thru or suffer 0 progress if you dont.
    The mission cost me an hour cause of the cutscene snafoo, the cutscene should be programmed that you cant get out of it!
    As to the TFO 45 minutes went by and it was at 37 of 38 ships still waiting to escape and i had to get out and get 0 progress :(
    No plans to do the TFO again.
    edited October 2020
    Also, yes, narratives typically require you to read everything that came before. Tell me, do you read a novel series with 10+ books, and expect to understand everything if you skip book 5? Likewise, do you think most novels have characters from several books back show up again and constantly go "hey! remember me from book 5 when I did X!?" No, they just expect you to remember it.
    I'm gonna stop you right here, because that's a blatant lie.
    For the main series and medium of anything, I can somewhat agree unless it's a huge series.

If i need to read a specific anecdote (because the blogs of STO are anecdotes) not from the main series from 3-4 years ago so smug gatekeepers don't tell me "wow, you fake fan, it was specified in this sub-series, 3 years and 2 months ago and thus it's perfect storytelling and you're a loser who sucks at writing analysis for missing the reference", then no, I'm gonna disagree with you, it shouldn't be a requirement.

It should just be so fans get the reference without the occasional fans scratching their head, wondering what the hell is going on with a specific character.

Let's take Darth Maul for example.
    If you watch Rebels before Clone Wars, you may wonder why he's still alive despite being cut in half in The Phantom Menace, but at the same time, you notice he has mechanical legs, that he and Kenobi had a longer history than just Episode I, and there is this character Ahsoka Tano who knows him and used to know Anakin and is friend with Bail Organa, Leia's adoptive father, so you can guess the reason of Maul and Ahsoka's presence lie in the previous official series: Clone Wars. And in the end, how he survived doesn't really matter at this point as he had a whole storyline intertwined with several characters you already know or can guess where they come from.

That's why having Onna instead of the Orion would have helped, because if you spend some time on DS9, you've seen her already several times during the "daily free phoenix pack" periods, and knowing she's married to the captain can bring some questions, but also adds to the lore and lessens the "where do you guys come from?" blow.

Here, the Coldstar crew shows up and probably won't even be heard about again. And unless you read/remember the 3 blogs, you'd think they're just new characters existing for just one mission, instead of a crew connected to a character you see several times a year.
    I honestly didn't know the phoenix pack person had a name, and I don't think i would have made the connection. Especially now that the phoenix packs are always on, and in the dil store.
    Oh the irony...
    #TASforSTO
    If she's missing from the crew and episode maybe thats why onna is sulking and refusing to deal in the phoenix daily.
  • kemaiku#5456 kemaiku Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    The mission was okay? I guess. Killing waves of Klingons is always fun, but I'm still utterly sick of J'ula.

To be honest I was a little to...distracted by the Caitians to remember much else other than the awful fake accent that new character was doing the entire mission.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    fix your TFO please. Sitting for 5-10 minutes when ship fails to leave is awful.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• johnathantoupsjohnathantoups Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Went I doing my TFO and doing the endeavor, the game kick me out and when I exit the game and go back in the server stats says it is down, I am asking I only one have server down or anybody have server down.
  • o0galathor0oo0galathor0o Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    @johnathantoups: Same here. When I start the launcher it shows red, so it seems the whole game is down.
    ~ Don't blame the clown for being a clown, blame yourself for going to the circus ~
  • skatedeathskatedeath Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    Yep they either broke it, Epic overloaded it or just took it down because of all the bugs in the release, be nice tp get some info on whats happening.