test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

chars missing from account!! - RESTORING DATABASE - FIXED!!

Comments

• chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    I haven't lost any characters, but I've only been playing since 2014. So yeah could be 2012 and earlier.

That's... not good.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    angarus1 wrote: »
    Yup, I'm missing a character as well, and I'm unable to switch characters atm.

Ohh, that's bad, i just hope it's just a bad connection to the database or something.
    All my characters appear to be there. Hope it just a visual issue on your end.

Well, i tested on tribble, and 2 of those are there, but one of them Gaevs, the oldest one is not even there!, but on Holodeck, nope, nothing, and those 3 are the ones i created first, when i started playing.. lot of goodies on them, o really want them back, or i wuould have lost my Universe class, my entire Voth ship set, and a lot of other things, and i dont like that!
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • angarus1angarus1 Member Posts: 684 Arc User
    Yup, turns out I'm missing 3 of 'em as well. All of them are older characters, including the first 2 I made.
  • angarus1angarus1 Member Posts: 684 Arc User
    My main is from Feb 2012, and its still there.

What dates where these lost characters made?

Mine were made way back in 2010-2011.
    edited October 2020
    My main is from Feb 2012, and its still there.

What dates where these lost characters made?

Mine where created at launch.. when was that??, after the beta
    edited October 2020
    Recent answer:

I hope they can restore it for all of us...
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »
    I'm getting stuck with redirecting to the game server atm I can get to the character select screen but not past it.

EDIT:I don't normally say this but as it stands the game is totally unplayable for me I can't do anything significant before getting booted.

I can only access a single character, if I am lucky. If I login on that character, logout quickly, and click on another character before the characters load for the one I just logged out of. Then I can play that character. If I try to select any other character, it just says loading but won't load the character models, info, etc. and as a result, I can't load that character. Thankfully none of my characters seem to be gone but the game isn't playable for me in this current state.
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    Thankfully I haven't lost any myself, I hope it gets sorted out for you since losing characters would suck particularly if you've made a great deal of progress on them and have any paid for and hard to get items/ships.
    gaevsman wrote: »
    Recent answer:

Thankfully they are aware of the issue and working on fixing it already.

Yes, i'll try to update on this as soon as i can get more info.. thanks!
  • storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    I have a ton of older toons as well prior to 2012. I will not patch this game until there is a fix to make sure I don't lose any of them.
    Glad they are aware but this is a critical error that should require an emergency patch.
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
    Recent answer:

Something would've had to go really, REALLY wrong for those characters to entirely disappear forever. Hopefully it's just pointing towards the right data again, although good lord I do know how infuriating that can be as a coder lol
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    You know, I've been really lucky when it comes to bugs in this game. I've never had any major bug that has effected by character or gear or even preventing me from being able to finish a mission (that I can remember anyway). And no, I'm not effected by this either.

Also, I can understand a normal amount and type of bugs making it to live. They can't catch everything, and some stuff is going to slip through. That said, there is a world of difference between skills getting borked or not being able to complete a mission and what has happened to the OP. This is simply beyond all limits of what is acceptable in a live game.

Beyond simply restoring the OP's characters and saying "sorry", Cryptic really needs to acknowledge they screwed up big time here. OP deserves more than "sorry" and a fix. Please let us know exactly what Cryptic says and does to make up for because I really want to know.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    I didn't notice any of my characters missing, and quite a few are from 2010. Hope it works out okay.
    You know, I've been really lucky when it comes to bugs in this game. I've never had any major bug that has effected by character or gear or even preventing me from being able to finish a mission (that I can remember anyway). And no, I'm not effected by this either.

Also, I can understand a normal amount and type of bugs making it to live. They can't catch everything, and some stuff is going to slip through. That said, there is a world of difference between skills getting borked or not being able to complete a mission and what has happened to the OP. This is simply beyond all limits of what is acceptable in a live game.

Beyond simply restoring the OP's characters and saying "sorry", Cryptic really needs to acknowledge they screwed up big time here. OP deserves more than "sorry" and a fix. Please let us know exactly what Cryptic says and does to make up for because I really want to know.

Thanks for your nice coments, well, at this point, i just want to have my chars back, with all the stuff that for years i have been able to get, i do get errors, and i still think that some query to the database is wrong, and once they fix it, they will pop to existence again. This is the first time a bug hits me this hard, i'm concern, but, i have hope that they can fix it, and also, to all that have the same problem as i do.. i'll let you know how it goes..
  • eagletalaneagletalan Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    sounds like you got TRIBBLE.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    phubbykun wrote: »
    My main toon was created in 2011. I can still play her fortunately. If I couldn't, I would burn these forums to the TRIBBLE ground.

Cryptic really needs to get their TRIBBLE together and hire some decent developers, and then actually test things before dumping garbage like this on the players.

I do think STO definitely has decent developers. I also think there is something (not sure what it is) seriously wrong behind the scenes with yesterday's update. Again, normal bugs are just a part of games. But there is no way something like this should ever happen, and the OP (and anyone else who has this issue) needs more than a simple fix and apology here.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    I do think STO definitely has decent developers.

Strongly disagree.
    I've said this before, I'll say it again. If anyone thinks STO is bad, or Cryptic's developers are bad, then that player clearly hasn't ever played a Rockstar or EA game. OOF
    chipg7 wrote: »
    I've said this before, I'll say it again. If anyone thinks STO is bad, or Cryptic's developers are bad, then that player clearly hasn't ever played a Rockstar or EA game. OOF
    Last EA game I played the first of the new Star Wars: Battlefront.

While the game was uninspired and boring, it at least worked.

I don't recall a single Rockstar game I have ever played for more than an hour or two.

As for Cryptics developers being bad.... lets take a look at this last update.

Some people are missing characters. This is totally inexcusable.
    Pheonix Prize Pack - Broken

New TFO - Broken
    Number of server outages today - 2 and counting
    Player skill trees - Broken. Totally inexcusable.
    New episode - Story is extremely rushed, but at least it's not the total railroad TRIBBLE the last episode was.
    Well Battlefront was a pay to win nightmare, and as you said there wasn't much to it. That's par for the course for them.

Rockstar, you're forced to buy things to even live in the online world. And the game has breaking bugs all the time.

For the issues, yeah I totally get what you're saying. But that's all related to a new patch, that they're working to fix already. So while the issues are 100% unacceptable, they're also immediately working to fix it. Which is the best that I can expect when there's game-breaking issues - that the company full-stops and fixes it, which they're doing.
    For the issues, yeah I totally get what you're saying. But that's all related to a new patch, that they're working to fix already. So while the issues are 100% unacceptable, they're also immediately working to fix it. Which is the best that I can expect when there's game-breaking issues - that the company full-stops and fixes it, which they're doing.

Except two of those issues should NEVER EVER happen. They have created hours and hours of work for players just to be able to play the game again because of this respec TRIBBLE. That is, if they even can play the game again because people have lost characters. There is no guarantee those characters will ever be restored.

Even if every single one of those characters is restored, they owe us for this. More than just an apology.
    Oh you're right, it should've never happened. But this is the reality of development during a pandemic.

If STO was the only game I played that had game-breaking bugs this year, I'd definitely be upset. But most live games I play have had major issues during the pandemic. No one was prepared for this.

That's why I'm still not happy, but I don't really feel angry or anything. It's just the sad reality right now.

Except two of those issues should NEVER EVER happen. They have created hours and hours of work for players just to be able to play the game again because of this respec TRIBBLE. That is, if they even can play the game again because people have lost characters. There is no guarantee those characters will ever be restored.

Even if every single one of those characters is restored, they owe us for this. More than just an apology.
    Oh you're right, it should've never happened. But this is the reality of development during a pandemic.

If STO was the only game I played that had game-breaking bugs this year, I'd definitely be upset. But most live games I play have had major issues during the pandemic. No one was prepared for this.

That's why I'm still not happy, but I don't really feel angry or anything. It's just the sad reality right now.

Believe me, i'm not happy either, but i know how difficult is to work at home, so, i'm cutting them some slack, and as said, they are working on it to fix it, so, i just have to wait. It will take some time to check the integrity of the database, and then fix the conecction and other bugs, so i'm on a wait and see mode right now.
  • traxartraxar Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    @OP

YES I am also missing 4 characters, my 4 oldest. They were fine the evening before the patch, and were gone post-patch. I suspect but can't confirm that they were created prior to the services merge. Given that they are my oldest characters, I've been playing them since launch, or near that time, so like 10 years *poof* (x4).... Ouch. Lobi, keys, lockbox items, limited time rewards...I don't even want to consider they can't be recovered, so I just have to have faith that it'll be solved like similar problems in the past.

As of last night, (10-6) CS tells me that it's a known issue which has affected several players and they are working on a fix. So far, this morning, my characters are still missing :(. Here's hoping it'll be fixed in maintenance tomorrow.

@Everyone discussing the queue......seriously guys, find the right thread. This is about missing characters.. not a queue following an mmo update (I mean that never, ever, ever, happens when an mmo gets new content right lol). I know you want to play, but please, exercise a bit of forum discipline and common sense and discuss the queue in the many posts about the queue. There's even probably a post somewhere about Q that you can invade too.

Believe me, i'm not happy either, but i know how difficult is to work at home, so, i'm cutting them some slack, and as said, they are working on it to fix it, so, i just have to wait. It will take some time to check the integrity of the database, and then fix the conecction and other bugs, so i'm on a wait and see mode right now.
    Oh for sure, especially with characters disappearing.

You wanna make sure that's fixed before going live again, and good lord that could be caused by anything. Programming is hell lol
    edited October 2020
    So far, after downtime, no fix yet, but perhaps this was in preparation for tomorrow's fix or something, as always, i'll keep updating for people affected by this. Thanks all for posting..
    Post edited by gaevsman on
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,451 Arc User
    edited October 2020
    I checked last night and all my characters are present and accounted for. I will need to respec all the skills and traits due to back-end changes that were supposed to be mentioned in the patch notes but were not. They really should have tested this on Tribble first and not on Holodeck on Tuesday.
    Post edited by sthe91 on
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
This discussion has been closed.