test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

"in the hopes that history will never be forgotten nor that terrible day repeated."

jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
By making us repeat it, over and over and over and over...
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    jaturnley wrote: »
    By making us repeat it, over and over and over and over...

Counterpoint: it's a training simulation so people can learn from what happened and hopefully respond better next time.

Counter counterpoint: they could do a training simulation with similar circumstances(friendlies going rogue in large numbers) without literally re-enacting the actual event.

Counter counter counterpoint: yes, but they want to learn from what actually happened at this specific event to prevent this specific thing from happening again.

Counter counter counter counterpoint: even if a similar attack did happen in the future, it wouldn't play out exactly the same way it happened last time.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Nothing to learn. Synths are outlawed. It can't happen again. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Nothing to learn. Synths are outlawed. It can't happen again. :)
    That's why several of my BOFFs never go on away missions. :wink:
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    > @ltminns said:
    > Nothing to learn. Synths are outlawed. It can't happen again. :)

Wasn't that law removed besides you can use events to teach about "massive surprise attack on a habited planet" rather limiting it to this specific attack, it wouldn't surprise me at all if US armed forces had training wargames based on the attack on Pearl Harbor.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    It is a dumb idea honestly. You don't learn how to better deal with a one off event by reliving it endlessly, especially not when it is a sneak attack. At best its a Kobayashi Maru kind of scenario which is supposed to build character or something.
  • jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »
    > @ltminns said:

Wasn't that law removed besides you can use events to teach about "massive surprise attack on a habited planet" rather limiting it to this specific attack, it wouldn't surprise me at all if US armed forces had training wargames based on the attack on Pearl Harbor.
    in
    A scenario based on Pearl would be better served as an exercise in how to better prepare for the attack, or how to train personnel to respond once it's underway more effectively. Repeatedly running the actual scenario so that you can't change the outcome? Not very useful.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,971 Community Moderator
    I think you guys are missing something.
    You're mixing game mechanics and event styles with in universe stuff. In universe we're not "being forced" to do it over and over. We're just participating in a recreation of the event. Each time we run it, technically speaking in universe its our first time participating in the recreation.
    Just like how its technically our first time responding to the Borg attack on a certain Starbase in Infected Space. Or is someone gonna say we've been fighting over that base for years now, with the same battle over and over and over again, and the Borg have yet to learn?

Events may have us replaying things several times, but lore wise we're not. The only one that really has a nod towards replays is Binary Stars, as its to gather data on 23rd Century Klingon tactics.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    jaturnley wrote: »
    spiritborn wrote: »
    > @ltminns said:

in
    A scenario based on Pearl would be better served as an exercise in how to better prepare for the attack, or how to train personnel to respond once it's underway more effectively. Repeatedly running the actual scenario so that you can't change the outcome? Not very useful.

Oy, talking about Pearl Harbor is opening a real can of worms.

• foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    So in bad taste this is sort of the PTSD of task force operations?
This discussion has been closed.