Install Arc
Options

The Widening Gyre Event

2»

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    questerius wrote: »
    Stats are worth taking a look at once released, but the 3/4 piece set has beginner gear written all over it.
    A charging burst weapon, sounds a bit like a newbie trap like the Thalaron Cannon.

I'm gonna try it out on a megawell build. I'm already slapping things with Subspace Vortex and miniwells thanks to Gravimetric Photons on top of them being stuck in a Megawell. Might be fun to slap them with yet one more anomaly.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    Speaking of buying out the event, first I will have to see how painful the new TFO is. If I enjoy it I might do the full 20 days. If not, I might do half and half. I have a pretty big admiralty farm in place, so sometimes I view that as an alternate way to grind out these events. But I'd prefer to actually enjoy it and get the prize for "free" :)

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    Good grief. Am I the only one suffering from severe Event Fatigue? We don't even get a day's break between events anymore. This is getting a little ridiculous.

I actually agree with this. It's a bit crazy how events are non stop back to back now. Nice that it's happening but put little space between em more. It's almost like people aren't playing as much when the events don't happen and they're trying to keep the metrics up so the game doesn't get shut down or something by CBS or god knows who.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    > @somtaawkhar said:
    > (Quote)
    > What a horrible false equivalence argument.
    > People hated running episodes 3-4 times because the episodes were typically an hour+ long, and they often didn't have time to sit there for that long before they had to go to work of whatever.
    >
    > TFOs are 10-12 minutes, making it far more manageable to do every day. The overall time averages out, but the per day time cost has gone down drastically.
    >
    > Especially when you factor in that it will be freely available, account wide, after finishing the event. Whereas mission set rewards require you replaying the mission, multiple times, per character. This is a massive time sink remover.

@thegrandnagus1

He was responding to what I wrote, trying to invalidate it as anything that contradicts Cryptic. This Event also includes an Episode, forgetting that for some, who don't like or won't run TFOs, that is their only avenue. Also, you'd have to factor in how many players ran more than five Characters through the Episode.

Limited time availibility unlike the old Episodes, except for that Kobali Uniform disaster.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,265 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    deleted
    Post edited by fred26291#2759 on
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Month long events are wearing my stress level badly!
    One after another after another are verry draining!
    If this continues i am going to have to go fk it and quit this game cause theres tooo much too fast.
    Noone can do a 30 day event every month when there working full time and buyout options are not an option,
    I will go without first and eventually quit cause i cant get anything cause of the unfriendly direction this game has gone.

Virtual rewards in a video game are not worth stress, so if this game is effecting you in that way I would definitely take a break. Years from now, none of this will matter and it's good to remember that sometimes.

That said, they are definitely trying to put a little "pressure" on you. They completely realize that back to back to back events can be tough to keep up with, and hoping some people will just spend some money to buyout the prize due to FOMO is most certainly part of the plan.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,265 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    deleted

Post edited by fred26291#2759 on
  • Options
    foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    I try to apply the theory of Occam's Razor, in most cases, to what Cryptic does so I believe the Events, any Events, are there sometimes just as a delivery mechanism to input the Buy-Out feature just for the chance players will use it more.

I could see a possible restraint to this, sometimes, from CBS when regarding story, canon, with ST.

To counter that I see PWE wanting it all monetized all the time with the emphasis being profit.

Then again, I still think Cryptic is inching towards a STO type of maintenance mode style of automated play wanting minimum effort but maximum payoff. Cryptic reduces complicated features, adds-in monetization mechanics including the embedded gambling, & any added content is condensed when compared to added content from years ago.

As for the Buy-Out feature itself, I don't mind it. If I think its ever of enough value to use I'll be glad its there to use & if not I don't worry about it. I'm of the mind-set that, usually, the more options the better even if more confusing.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    That's sounding like a doom post to me. There is no evidence of "maintenance mode" coming. Hell... they are still bringing in Trek actors and making new content. That is FAR from the game going into any variation of "maintenance mode".
    I'm a little tired of the rapid fire events too, but I'm not going around looking for some grand conspiracy behind it all.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »
    That's sounding like a doom post to me. There is no evidence of "maintenance mode" coming. Hell... they are still bringing in Trek actors and making new content. That is FAR from the game going into any variation of "maintenance mode".

Agree; they would not be spending the money on the celeb VO on a game that was not doing well with plans to continue for the foreseeable future.

I'm a little tired of the rapid fire events too, but I'm not going around looking for some grand conspiracy behind it all.

It's not a 'grand conspiracy' it's a 'lame conspiracy'. Grand is giving it too much credit.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Not to mentioned stuff like the YoK, where they are updating all of the Klingon faction missions. Which accounts for like 9% of all the game's story missions.(if you count all the sub missions in each faction's tutorial as separate missions) You don't just decide to redo 1/11 of the game's story content if your heading into maintenance mode.

Also, it's low level(I know, it scales now but still) content which actually suggests they see new player growth and want them to see high quality content early in the game. Another indication the game is doing better than some think.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Yay. Another stupidly bright effect that'll obscure our view of everything. Wonderful.

subspace eddy, gravity well, plasma storms, beacon of Kahless.. and now this imperial rift thingy. This is really getting out of hand. Does every new effect have to fill the whole screen?
  • Options
    sierra078sierra078 Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    Honestly when I saw 'Imperial Rift space set' I thought wait we're getting tech from Star Wars now? How fun would a TFO against Star Destroyers be?
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    > @sierra078 said:
    > Honestly when I saw 'Imperial Rift space set' I thought wait we're getting tech from Star Wars now? How fun would a TFO against Star Destroyers be?
    Depends how many ISD isn't that much more powerful then a Borg tac cube and we eat those as a light snack. ISD is "only" 1600 meters by STO standards that not so big.
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    Yay, another space ability that will cause yet another blob of keech to join the ever growing number of blobs because who cares if the performance collapses every time a group of players use them or that god forbid people might actually want to see something on screen that doesn't resemble the aftermath of a bomb in a glitter factory.

The event overload would be easier to avoid if folk knew that the rewards would be going into phoenix as they used to, sadly they'll get dumped into the mugs market section of the cash shop at stupidly inflated greed driven prices (even on sale)
  • Options
    sierra078sierra078 Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »
    > @sierra078 said:
    > Honestly when I saw 'Imperial Rift space set' I thought wait we're getting tech from Star Wars now? How fun would a TFO against Star Destroyers be?
    Depends how many ISD isn't that much more powerful then a Borg tac cube and we eat those as a light snack. ISD is "only" 1600 meters by STO standards that not so big.

They could put in the Death Star...that might take....ummmm....three or four minutes I guess."
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    They stopped putting this stuff in Episodes because people hated running it four times to get all four pieces. Now you only need to run the Episode or TFO TWENTY times to get it. It is, however, an Account Unlock.
    What a horrible false equivalence argument.

People hated running episodes 3-4 times because the episodes were typically an hour+ long, and they often didn't have time to sit there for that long before they had to go to work of whatever.

TFOs are 10-12 minutes, making it far more manageable to do every day. The overall time averages out, but the per day time cost has gone down drastically.

Especially when you factor in that it will be freely available, account wide, after finishing the event. Whereas mission set rewards require you replaying the mission, multiple times, per character. This is a massive time sink remover.

This is true, thou i wish we could have some patrols to even things out a little..
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    final stage is based on how many transports you rescue... hint dont rescue any till you finish doing the Feb Battleships, Cruisers & Freighters... once all that is done you can do the transports. I am sure someone will do transports regardless, so dont worry.
This discussion has been closed.