test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Widening Gyre Event

ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
Since we probably won't get a Thread in GNN, here goes

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11479053-the-widening-gyre-event!

A new TFO and new Episode. Do the Event 20 times (or Buyout at any Point) and unlock an entire four-piece Space Set, the Imperial Rift Space Set. No details yet except the Set Bonuses.

They stopped putting this stuff in Episodes because people hated running it four times to get all four pieces. Now you only need to run the Episode or TFO TWENTY times to get it. It is, however, an Account Unlock.

Also note from the Announcement that they are capping the Bonus Dilithium at 50k. Not that the No Cap was practical or even the 50k, was possible even if you bought out on Day one.
'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
Judge Dan Haywood
'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
l don't know.
l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
Lt. Philip J. Minns
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
    This needs to stop.

Enough with making so much stuff limitedly available.

Or at least put it in the Phoenix store like the Bajoran warp core was.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    The opposite faction to us: "Did you use that tech that tears holes to another realm and greatly ticks off its inhabitants to commit an act of terrorism, you monsters?"
    Us: "Hell no, we don't even have it, that's a lie!"
    *proceeds to get ships retrofitted to use that tech that was used to commit an act of terrorism that is now available to everyone*

I always love those mixed messages in the game.

Also, people complaining about VFX spam and have epileptic issues will appreciate. /s
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,224 Arc User
    So, once I get that unlock, I can stop running my new alts through "A Step Between Stars", and just reclaim nice full space set right after a tutorial...? Great!
    The opposite faction to us: "Did you use that tech that tears holes to another realm and greatly ticks off its inhabitants to commit an act of terrorism, you monsters?"
    Us: "Hell no, we don't even have it, that's a lie!"
    *proceeds to get ships retrofitted to use that tech that was used to commit an act of terrorism that is now available to everyone*

I always love those mixed messages in the game.

Also, people complaining about VFX spam and have epileptic issues will appreciate. /s

Thalaron radiation, weaponised katra's, dark matter, even stuff like Tyken's rift. Yeah, this game does very little to honour the tv series. They're merely sources of inspiration for the next gimmick. Sadly.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • tvirxtvirx Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    Let the complaints regarding new content begin! I am grateful that I am but a lowly, nerdy physicist. To be a software developer seems to be a thankless, terrible profession.

You forum folks are really something special.
  • saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,224 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    I will play the full event... and beyond (bonus Dil is usefull)
    But Devs, pretty please, make the Singularity Core accessible to all factions (and not only Romulans), so we get full gear set for Romulan ships driven by other factions too.
  • fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User
    Hmm, I think this will be nice on my KDF carrier actualy.
  • sci321sci321 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    saber1973a wrote: »
    I will play the full event... and beyond (bonus Dil is usefull)
    But Devs, pretty please, make the Singularity Core accessible to all factions (and not only Romulans), so we get full gear set for Romulan ships driven by other factions too.

Singularity cores are already available to all factions. They have been ever since almost all Romulan ships had their faction restriction removed.
  • solidshark214solidshark214 Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    Good grief. Am I the only one suffering from severe Event Fatigue? We don't even get a day's break between events anymore. This is getting a little ridiculous.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    tvirx wrote: »
    Let the complaints regarding new content begin! I am grateful that I am but a lowly, nerdy physicist. To be a software developer seems to be a thankless, terrible profession.

For a physicist, you seem to miss the point.

It has nothing to do with having new content, it's about how it's ironic the game is all about "let's solve peacefully and work towards a united front and alliance with as least bloodshed as possible, let's not become villains" and then throws us abilities that have horrible, agonizing effects that even in the game universe itself are considered downright monstrous.

And this one is doubly hilariously ironic considering what this weapon did in the latest released mission and how a certain character used it to put the blame on us to try and ruin our reputation and brand us as war criminals.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • fallenkezef#4581 fallenkezef Member Posts: 644 Arc User

It has nothing to do with having new content, it's about how it's ironic the game is all about "let's solve peacefully and work towards a united front and alliance with as least bloodshed as possible, let's not become villains" and then throws us abilities that have horrible, agonizing effects that even in the game universe itself are considered downright monstrous.

And this one is doubly hilariously ironic considering what this weapon did in the latest released mission and how a certain character used it to put the blame on us to try and ruin our reputation and brand us as war criminals.

Poor feddy bears and their moral conundrums.

I remember the day the Federation threw away their ideals and morality and embraced the evils of forbidden weaponry and warcrimes.... To the KDF it was tuesday.

Poor feddy bears and their moral conundrums.

I remember the day the Federation threw away their ideals and morality and embraced the evils of forbidden weaponry and warcrimes.... To the KDF it was tuesday.

And that is why the Empire will eventually end up as part of the Federation, and not the other way around.

• swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    Remember when you'd get a 4 piece set spread over 4 episodes?

The problem isn't new content. Besides the lore-related issue, there's also the issue that new content used to come with stuff that's permanently available.

Now, it seems, they're making it available for a few weeks and then it'll be gone. Likely to return in the overpriced Mudd store.

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    swamarian wrote: »
    Remember when you'd get a 4 piece set spread over 4 episodes?

Not really. I remember 3 piece sets spread out over a FE series, like the Breen and Jem'Hadar sets. But back then the story quality wasn't as good either. At least Thot Trel felt like a boss fight though.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • darknovasc01darknovasc01 Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    Event Fatigue will be a recognised medical condition at this rate - my brain hurts...
  • foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    Despite enjoying, or not enjoying, the method of acquisition the individual pieces & overall set sounds decent to good for a player's set-up & good-enough for leveling-up a toon. The account-wide unlocking is very welcomed too.
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    Good grief. Am I the only one suffering from severe Event Fatigue? We don't even get a day's break between events anymore. This is getting a little ridiculous.

You're definitely not the only one. I have so far completed every event since I started playing. But in the future, I'm gonna pick what I think is interesting or useful and skip the rest. I have so much event stuff I never use.

This new set however sounds interesting.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited September 2020
    This needs to stop.

Enough with making so much stuff limitedly available.
    shadowkosh wrote: »
    I will do the buyout

These 2 posts are exactly why they do these events. They know that constant limited time events mean many folks won't be able to complete them and will need to do the buyout to get the prize. So it's a "fun" new way to sell these free items to people :D

To be a software developer seems to be a thankless, terrible profession.

Nah, it has nothing to do with "software development" at all.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    edited September 2020
    These 2 posts are exactly why they do these events. They know that constant limited time events mean many folks won't be able to complete them and will need to do the buyout to get the prize. So it's a "fun" new way to sell these free items to people
    Uhh no, they do these events because all people did before Cryptic started running constant events was complain about how there wasn't anything to do in the game for the months long periods of time between releases.

False. If forum complaints = development priorities then there would be a T6 nova(which I am personally not interested in, but it's a well know issue).

As you well know the vast majority of players don't post on the forums, so they don't prioritize their development based on the minority that do.

Their development is based on lots of internal metrics and marketing data, not forum complaints.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    And yet we have had some QoL improvements that have been asked for on the forums and other sources. So... clearly, they are at least listening to feedback even if they don't interact directly with us.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    False. If forum complaints = development priorities then there would be a T6 nova(which I am personally not interested in, but it's a well know issue).

As you well know the vast majority of players don't post on the forums, so they don't prioritize their development based on the minority that do.

Their development is based on lots of internal metrics and marketing data, not forum complaints.
    I never said jack about forums complaints.

That's true, and I never said you did. However you did say this:
    Uhh no, they do these events because all people did before Cryptic started running constant events was complain about how there wasn't anything to do in the game for the months long periods of time between releases.

So where did you mean these people were complaining? In game? And the devs were reading the chat logs? The same logs that regularly get ignored when people report all kind of bad stuff?

Also, note that you said "all people did". So they weren't doing ANYTHING else, right? That was "all" they did?

Ok! :D

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    Stats are worth taking a look at once released, but the 3/4 piece set has beginner gear written all over it.
    A charging burst weapon, sounds a bit like a newbie trap like the Thalaron Cannon.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    . You implicitly made my comment out to be about forums complaints, which isn't the case.

I asked in my last post, but I guess you missed it. Lets try again:

So where did you mean these people were complaining?

I see you are unaware of the concept of hyperbole, I'll make a note of that.

I'm just playing around with you buddy! I mean, you nitpick the hell out of every technicality in any post you disagree with so I'm just giving you a little fair play. Lighten up :p

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
This discussion has been closed.